PDA

View Full Version : Machineflesh 2D Challenge Entry: jonny duddle

Pages : [1] 2

duddlebug
03-18-2004, 10:05 AM
jonny duddle has entered the Machineflesh 2D Challenge.

duddlebug
03-19-2004, 09:22 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2021/2021_1079691775_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2021/2021_1079691775_large.jpg)

I signed up to CGtalk a few months ago...but this challenge has been a great jolt to join in and start posting!!

I was thinking all night about what i could do for this challenge...on the train, eating my dinner, watching TV, lying in bed... i had a few ideas but nothing that really fired me up.

When i got to work this morning i got a call from my mum (she's at home in Wales where i grew up)and she told me our dog, Toby, had collapsed and couldn't walk. Toby is 21. He's a jack russell.

Mum's off at the vet's as i write this so i dunno the outcome yet.

But then i thought....

Wouldn't it be great if i could stick a few cogs and contraptions into him and keep him going for years and years?

And i reckon that if i'm thinking that then a kid would love to be able to keep their pets going by adding a few man-made support systems!! So i've done this quick sketch (when i should've been working...hmmm).

I need to integrate the machine bits more convincingly. And i plan on having a similar kid with a whole load of pets around him/her. Maybe actually working on the latest poorly pet. And with the pets looking like they all got ill for different reasons. Still early days so it might change a lot more than that!!

But that's what's exciting...

We can submit lots of work-in-progress concepts, can't we? This little doodle won't count as my 'concept sketch milestone'? I'm not completely clear on the process!?

I'm gonna have a look around the posts later on today and try and join in a bit...always a bit daunting when you're a new member!

Good luck to everyone!!

Drumwhore
03-19-2004, 11:20 AM
I like the style and the idea :) and the dog looks really cute and funny :) As you said, I think the mechanical parts need to be more integrated to the dog...

We can submit lots of work-in-progress concepts, can't we? This little doodle won't count as my 'concept sketch milestone'? I'm not completely clear on the process!?

yes you can send as many different concepts as you want and you can change subject without problem :)

Jokke
03-19-2004, 04:14 PM
I need to integrate the machine bits more convincingly. And i plan on having a similar kid with a whole load of pets around him/her. Maybe actually working on the latest poorly pet. And with the pets looking like they all got ill for different reasons. Still early days so it might change a lot more than that!!

This could turn out real nice, I think. Great ideas you have! Try to see what you can make of this! I really dig this vet-thing... :thumbsup:

Best of luck!

- Jokke

duddlebug
03-19-2004, 05:36 PM
Thanks for the comments!!

I've got some work to do tomorrow and then it's lunch with my Mum and Nan for mothers' day...

But hopefully get some time to do some drawings for this over the weekend!!

No internet at home so i'm looking forward to browsing through the entries on Monday morning. Gonna have a quick look now before i catch my train home.

Hope y'all have a productive weekend...

flyingP
03-21-2004, 12:52 PM
Love that dog's expression, most curious to see how this develops.

duddlebug
03-23-2004, 07:56 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2021/2021_1080032195_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2021/2021_1080032195_large.jpg)

Mornin'

I've gone off in a slightly different direction here.

I noticed lots of dogs appearing in the entries so i wanted to spice up the idea with some more interesting animals...

i drew this on the train into work this morning (without reference so forgive any anatomical mistakes!) whilst thinking about back story and reasons for this girl bringing mechanical animals to life. And i felt like drawing a gorilla.

At the moment i've gone with a twist on a more cliched idea of post apocalyptic cities. But it does tie in a bit closer with the 'Machineflesh' theme...especially the 'survival' element:

"Flesh is weak and easily destroyed. Imagine a world where damaged body parts or any vital organs (even eyes!) can be totally replaced with working mechanical parts. Imagine that a body can be enhanced via bizarre and even terrifying medical procedures to incorporate mechanical elements - whether it is purely for the sake of empowering the individual for easier survival, or whether it is designed for war."

It sticks with my initial idea of a girl bringing animals back to life, but now it all takes place in a zoo!! Which means i can include pretty much any animal i like, rather than dogs, cats and budgies that the pet idea gave me. A girl in her bedroom fixing her old Jack Russel didn't really satisfy the theme...

Currently thinking: Future world. Deserted city. Post-environmental catastrophe/riots/war/blah/blah/blah. Girl in a zoo. Where she used to visit her grandad. Who was a vet. He started fixing animals. After the catastrophe. She helped him. He died. Or got eaten. She lives with the animals. They protect her. She helps them. Nasty people come and go. Or get eaten.

The girl will change...i just dragged the other one over in photoshop (Gotta start work in ten minutes!!). And once again, the machine bits aren't particularly well integrated. I just wanted to get the idea down on paper.

More to follow. And then there's my similar idea about 'Roadkill'. But i might incorporate that into this one.

flyingP
03-23-2004, 08:04 AM
Hahaha.. like it :thumbsup:

duddlebug
03-23-2004, 08:11 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2021/2021_1080033098_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2021/2021_1080033098_large.jpg)

Just thinking...she could still have her dog!!!

The styles aren't 100% compatable, but they're close enough for a rough rough concept.

Maybe some neater stuff to come soon...

And...thanks flyingP!

viag
03-23-2004, 08:18 AM
yes ! i really like this ! contrast between cute carachter and the heavy machine , nice !

duddlebug
03-23-2004, 08:31 AM
I'm glad you like the contrast...thinking of a Rhino or a Hippo next...

:)

duddlebug
03-23-2004, 08:36 AM
BTW...How do we upload a picture for our name...?

(dead jealous of FlyingP's pig head...)

flyingP
03-23-2004, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by duddlebug
BTW...How do we upload a picture for our name...?

(dead jealous of FlyingP's pig head...)

:beer:

Under "my profil" ... "edit profil"

claudiojordao
03-23-2004, 09:51 AM
Hello, I like your idea, but... take a look at this:
http://www.ilm.com/ilmshorts.html

flyingP
03-23-2004, 09:56 AM
yeah it sort of reminded me of that one too to start with, but only becuase of the ape, otherwise totally different concept.

duddlebug
03-23-2004, 10:57 AM
hmmmmm.

Thanks for the link.

I had actually seen that once (ages and ages ago) but didn't connect when i did this drawing. Watching again though... the ape is probably too close a subject, within the 'machineflesh' theme.

As i said before though, i drew the gorilla on the train on my way to work this morning...just doodlin' what came into my head when i thought about zoos.

I'll have to get on with the Hippo and the Rhino and keep my primates to orangutans, chimps and baboons!! And maybe a polar bear. And a walrus. Along with the armadillos, lions and parrots, of course. And the zebra.

And her dog.

The finished drawing should have a whole bunch of these animals in there too!!

She'll be like a 21st century noah!!

Slav
03-23-2004, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by claudio_jordao
Hello, I like your idea, but... take a look at this:
http://www.ilm.com/ilmshorts.html

taht is some awsome stuff thanks for the link.

Drumwhore
03-23-2004, 01:35 PM
I like the idea of a 21st century noah :) sounds like a very good concept to me!

(edit: pressed 'tab' by error and msg was posted with its end missing)

shawnalanpeters
03-23-2004, 06:12 PM
cool drawing...!

duddlebug
03-23-2004, 07:29 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2021/2021_1080073769_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2021/2021_1080073769_large.jpg)

Here's another quick sketch (i'll do some more developed concepts soon!!)The scale and proportions are a bit to cock and i still haven't had chance to look for reference...

I decided i'd do another drawing with a gorilla because i don't think i should avoid them just because someone else included a gorilla in a short film they did. Even if it was ilm. As FlyinP said: "it's a totally different concept". This doesn't mean i'll include one in my final image though.

I've got a Rhino to draw yet...

This image is a bit darker than t'others. Still on the zoo theme and the 21st century Noah. Next image might be a bit cheerier. Who knows?

I'm just posting each bit of my thought process...

Proficuus
03-23-2004, 07:43 PM
I love it and the contrast is great. I hope the girl doesn't change that much, I like the character designs. (Happy to see someone using a blue pencil too)

flyingP
03-23-2004, 08:19 PM
I'm loving this stuff, that sketch has real emotion. :bounce:

shawnalanpeters
03-23-2004, 08:34 PM
"If you think you are doing something original ...the chances are it has been done, is being done or someone else is working on the same thing at the same time" -me

Just make images ... we all look at the same stuff...movies, tv, artists, videos....etc... inspiration is what we build on.... so let build on it.

rockin' sketch... by the way.

take it lite.

Friedric P
03-23-2004, 08:51 PM
I really like the mood... And the gorilla design is both cute and savage! Well done!
Good luck :)

Speaky
03-23-2004, 10:00 PM
I'm liking this one a lot! Keep the Gorilla, he's so mean lookin'. I think you've got a lot of skill, especially when it comes to giving your characters expression, probably the hardest and most elusive skill out there. Can't wait for the colouring.

RLyons
03-24-2004, 02:18 AM
Love the style can't wait to see it in colour.

Tommy Lee
03-24-2004, 04:09 AM
I love the last one...perfect compsition.:thumbsup:

So u are also a bluepenciler...hehe:beer:

Can't wait to see the progress. Outstanding Concept!

Cheerz

Tommy Lee

duddlebug
03-24-2004, 07:05 AM
Thanks for the comments!!

I'm gonna do a neater version of this concept and look at some monkey reference. I'll get it posted as soon as i've done it. I think the good thing about including primates is that it is so easy to empathise with them because they're such a small leap in DNA away from ourselves. They have similar facial expressions, behaviour and anatomy. So i may well stick with the 'ape' theme because it's fun trying to bring that through a drawing.

I was thinking about my story last night. Still keen on the zoo. Thinking about the UK (cause it's home), or a European capital, and a deserted city semi-submerged in water and ice (climatic change? natural disaster? bit of war, perhaps?). The zoo's on a hill and she's got all these animals that she operates on and they all protect each other. Like a family. Except the baboons. The bad guys. And the odd military patrol. Unless they get eaten by the baboons. Those baboons get hungry. Gotta watch 'em...

Still fancy a Rhinocerous drawing though. Gonna do a drawing. Even if i stick with the apes in the final image.

Plenty of time yet....

(remind me i said that on the 17th June when i'm screaming at my pooter for crashing at 4am struggling to finish my colour image!!)

fredconv
03-24-2004, 11:46 AM
hi man

i really like your sketch!
have you study animals design ?

keep the good work on !!
want more want more !!:drool:

Sketch23
03-24-2004, 02:16 PM
I love your animation style drawings. They're really fresh. The girl character is great! I like the little monkeys too. But I think you should stay away from the Gorilla just because it's been done in a lot of things... such as Cygor from Spawn. And it has the same design as the ones in Tarzan(without the cybernetics). Anyways, keep going. I love where it is headed.

duddlebug
03-24-2004, 05:07 PM
hmmm.

Those pesky gorillas pop up everywhere...

I'm gonna do another drawing (or two) with the gorilla. See how it turns out. i might carry on with this as a personal project and i don't think my gorilla (and, most importantly, his character traits) will infringe too much on these existing gorilla characters.

I have seen Tarzan and know what you mean. I think the similarities come from the subject matter and by exaggerating the elements that give a gorilla its powerful prescence (shoulders, bulk, heavy brow) it'd be difficult to produce anything that would guarantee that people wouldn't draw comparisons to Disney's tarzan, ilm's short or Cygor from Spawn. I hadn't actually seen Cygor but searched for images online and realise there's the potential to produce similarities within the 'machineflesh' theme. A silverback gorilla has these kinda proportions. They are big heavy-set animals, with large foreheads, heavy brows, low-slung hips and huge forearms.

I need to develop the sketch further and then make a decision about whether it'd infringe other character designs, both for my entry into this competition and also for the potential comic project that this might inspire.

Anyone know of any other big mutha gorillas that might cause me problems? (apart from King Kong)

I really appreciate the feedback and i'm enjoying this process, even with its frustrations!!

Like everyone else...i'd love to win that wacom...sorry for yet another long mail.

I have found a few big orangutan pictures too...could be the alternative? But are they mean-enough-looking?

[edited because i made a few spelling mistakes and forgot to mention Mr.Kong!!]

Sketch23
03-24-2004, 07:03 PM
A orangutan would be an awesome alternative. Make it look mean. I'm sure you could pull it off.

dedsol
03-25-2004, 04:27 AM
A red A##ED baboon!http://www.dinofish.com/wmgallery/images/baboon%20jaws.jpg

duddlebug
03-25-2004, 06:37 AM
Baboons are the bad guys!!!

Well...they might be on the good side...but then turn bad. It's those damned mandrills. They're a bad influence.

I'm gonna have a good look at orangutans. It's probably going to be a snowy scene, so the their orange fur would be a great injection of colour and can be matted with snow. And they would be that bit different. I don't know of any big mean orangutans in comics/film/tv. But i'm sure if there are then somebody will tell me...

The little dead monkey might even be an orangutan.

RLyons
03-25-2004, 06:53 AM
What about the orangutan in 'Every which way but loose', old Clint Eastwood film. His side kick is an o-rang that puches people out.... I guess its not evil. What about Baboons, those things look awesome and evil.

duddlebug
03-25-2004, 07:08 AM
hahaha...not seen that film in years. I loved that orangutan!!

It has to look mean...but be good. Not evil. It's one of the girl's (gotta think of a name soon!) friends. But it protects her. So it needs to be really tough and mean-looking, but also protective.

The more i think about it, the more i'm getting into the orangutan idea. I'm just browsing google for images and there's some great photos of orangutans.

Hopefully i'll get an initial sketch done today.

In this story Baboons are bad.

A baboon killed the little monkey.

probably.

Once again...thanks for the comments and the interest!!

FrankyMo
03-25-2004, 02:12 PM
You've got a really nice style... i love it!!:applause:

duddlebug
03-26-2004, 08:30 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2021/2021_1080293430_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2021/2021_1080293430_large.jpg)

I finally got around to drawing that orangutan!!

Doodled it on the train this morning. And then did a very quick photoshop job to pick out some shadows.

I found some great orangutan images on the famous internationalinterwebnet yesterday, so had a bit of reference for a change. This was an amalgamation of three or four photographs...with some adaptations so i could try it with the foreground i'd already drawn.

And now i prefer my orangutan to the old gorilla.

Sorted.

even if there was one in those old Clint Eastwood films!!

Neater concept to follow...

flyingP
03-26-2004, 08:45 AM
Ahhh yep that looks... PRETTY DAMN IMPRESSIVE!. :thumbsup:

Tommy Lee
03-26-2004, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by flyingP
Ahhh yep that looks... PRETTY DAMN IMPRESSIVE!. :thumbsup:

Have to double that!!!!:thumbsup:

Kirt
03-26-2004, 09:25 AM
Very nice concept and "sweet-as-Snickers" linework. I'm loving it.
The new orangutan looks fantastic!

duddlebug
03-26-2004, 09:40 AM
Thanks again for the comments!!

I'm glad i got all that negative feedback on the gorilla as subject matter. Changing to the orangutan has got me more excited. He will, of course, be orange. Not white.

And i might bring the angle down on my next concept. Accentuate his size and give more focus to the girl's face.

Have to ask Kirt...what time is it in 'lotsa cows, CA'?? Must be very very late....or very very very very early...?

You'll get bags under your eyes !!

BloodTaster
03-26-2004, 11:10 AM
Itīs great , the oragutan is much better !

Keep working, very good job!

RidingAlien
03-26-2004, 04:01 PM
Heh funny looking picture. Like the orangutan. He's so cute :p
Weesh you good luck.

RidingAlien
03-26-2004, 04:02 PM
Heh funny looking picture. Like the orangutan. He's so cute :p
Wish you good luck.

Kirt
03-26-2004, 08:18 PM
Have to ask Kirt...what time is it in 'lotsa cows, CA'?? Must be very very late....or very very very very early...?

You'll get bags under your eyes !!

:) It was almost 2:30am when I posted last. Now it's 1:15pm. I work late night shifts and get up late in the day. I'm probably what most people would call a vampire. Definately nocturnal ... I despise mornings.

NinjaA55N
03-26-2004, 09:49 PM
Kirt: arent we all vampires? :) whoever is a designer or is in a creative buisness, doenst sleep much...

I really like that sketch with an orangutan on it. One of my favorite here, coz of its simple construction and clear lines... for now ;)
I also dig that red spot on the floor and a creature next to it. Great!
Cant wait to see more. :thumbsup:

KrotArt
03-26-2004, 10:00 PM
cool :)
good luck to you :)

Dynasthai
03-26-2004, 10:56 PM
I have to agree that the orangutan is better. I also like the handful of small monkeys in the most recent concept pic. Keep up the good work.

Tommy Lee
03-27-2004, 08:48 AM
I think that u have a perfect balance in the comp now. It's not necesary to bring the angle down.
But I will wait whats in your mind:beer:

Proficuus
03-28-2004, 06:59 PM
You know, I was upset about the orang idea because I loved the Gorilla. Now I LOVE the orang....and I hate you. J/K Looking amazing! Keep it up!

JasonChan
03-28-2004, 08:53 PM
It's looking so amazing so far! :beer:

I'm kind of sad to see the dog dissapear though :shrug:

03-28-2004, 10:03 PM
Awsome sketches! Your style has the innocence of a child but yet the maturity and the seriosity of a great artist. The feeling is great, the sketches are great also. Good luck!

cuppacam
03-28-2004, 10:08 PM
Ook Ok OOk Oook!!!!! (Dig the pic)

zilla
03-28-2004, 11:35 PM
I LOVE the oranutang he's awsome! great drawing style can't wait to see what's next!

MikaelPersson
03-29-2004, 12:05 PM
Cool stuff Jonny! There is a zoo on a hill in Stockholm, if you want references :).
I don't have any real crits yet. They will probably pop up later on.

duddlebug
03-29-2004, 05:00 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2021/2021_1080583246_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2021/2021_1080583246_large.jpg)

Hey Mikael!! A zoo on a hill is exactly what i'm thinking. Even better if there's snow on it!! Are you back in Sweden?? Or slumming it in Manchester??

Thanks for all the comments. I don't have internet at home (yet!!) so it's great to come into work on a Monday and find loads of positive comments waiting for me!!

Here's a sketch of the girl. Sorry, no 'machineflesh' here. Just a girl who fixes monkeys and other animals. I've been thinking hard about the story over the weekend and i'm considering knocking up some comic pages which'll give more depth to the story. I'm going to work on character sheet for the girl (and i'll give her a name) and the monkeys (and especially their machine bits).

And (Evil Gerbil!) i'm considering getting a version of the dog back in...if it doesn't confuse the primate theme that's going on...

Thanks again...time to browse...

Nirlin
03-29-2004, 05:09 PM
Well, this thread deserve a bow :

:bowdown:

Well, one thing done.

Actually that was one of the very first thread I saw at my arrival, and I liked it at once. And I think it pushed me a little to take interest in this contest....

I want to see more hehe !

Well, there are many threads here I want to see. I hope that will let me some time for my own ^^

flyingP
03-29-2004, 05:13 PM
I've been thinking hard about the story over the weekend and i'm considering knocking up some comic pages which'll give more depth to the story. I'm going to work on character sheet for the girl (and i'll give her a name) and the monkeys (and especially their machine bits).

Oh hey come on no over doing it here, geez! ( of course I can't wait to see them myself :D )

tungaunga
03-29-2004, 06:34 PM
hey!
I added me to the list of people that love this entry. I think that the idea is one of the best of the chalenge. aslo your sketch is very fluid and armonic.... very diferent concept to the mayority of the chalenge (includiong mine. what worries me about this work is that you have a very strong idea (all that thing about the zoo and the girl) but I think that maybe you should make more visible the "machine in the flesh... wish is the main thing about this chalenge. I dont know... maybe make the creautures in a pose where you can see their mechanic parts in more detai (or amount).
stiil I know that you dont have a final comp.
again... very impresed with this entry... congrats!!!!!!

AirbORn
03-29-2004, 06:44 PM
I agree with tungaunga the concept is very unique but in my opinion you should try showing more of the machine aspect of the characters.

Awsome work though, i can't wait to see more!

MadMim
03-29-2004, 06:51 PM
wow. i reall ylike this one! YOur style seems like that of an animator's sketch. the linework is smooth and fluid. this concept is interesting and unique. being it is cutely cartoony but still have realism. while others aim for fully realistic. i like your different approach. your animal anatomy is very good so far. i like all that you have shown so far. i look forward to watching this piece progress along. ^_^

MikaelPersson
03-29-2004, 09:07 PM
Hi!
No, still here. Cosgrove wanted help for a couple of months. Will see what happens after that, I don't know.
That zoo in Stockholm I spoke of is called skansen google it (http://images.google.com/images?q=skansen+stockholm&svnum=20&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&safe=off&start=20&sa=N). But you will probably find more extremely old houses there than animals.
I would go contrary to the previous posters, I really like the toned down machine parts of those animals. Gives it a much more human touch. And to my eyes a better picture if it doesn't scream in your face.
That last sketch of yours is indeed nice. She looks to be from greenland. I don't know if that was intentional or?

Wiro
03-30-2004, 03:27 AM
Hey Duddley! Great to see your entry in here too. How are things at WH?

I've always loved your style but conceptwise I hope to see more external machinery on the animals as opposed to pieces just being closely stuck on and peeping out here and there. It would be great to see some bigger stuff on them that really alienates them from the living animal kingdom, giving them a more mechanical silhouette. Like a whole arm replaced, some IV tanks attached to the body, external hearts or brain extentions =)

Keep it up man, stay in touch!

[edit] oops, I see I'm not the first to suggest that

Wiro

duddlebug
03-30-2004, 06:37 AM
Hi Wiro! Nice to hear from you!

I've been thinking more about story, character and the particular 'event' for my entry so far. That's why i apologised for my last entry being just the girl and no 'machineflesh' whatsoever!!

I'm gonna get really stuck into the monkeys with some character sheets, and hopefully get the 'machineflesh' theme thoroughly entwined. I want to get the girl sorted because she's really the hub of my story.

I think i've already mentioned that i may carry on with this as a personal project so i wanna get it all thought through. It's gotta make sense to me. And if it makes sense to me then hopefully the images will make sense to people who look at them. And i've got until June to have it all make sense...

The brief asks for some background to the image entered...so i'm gonna give some background!!!

I'll get on with some more 'machined-up' orangutan drawings and get them uploaded in the next few days...

E.T
03-30-2004, 10:03 AM
very very nice.

like everyone else says: great concept.
Dont overdo the machine thing though. I kinda like that its toned down.

Tommy Lee
03-30-2004, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by E.T
Dont overdo the machine thing though. I kinda like that its toned down.
I also have to say, keep it like it is, because its a perfect balance between flesh and machine!!!!:thumbsup:

But as said,... up to you :beer:

SideAche
03-30-2004, 05:47 PM
Love the work, I really like the subtle mechanics. Excellent stylization and great lines.

shawnalanpeters
03-30-2004, 07:01 PM
rockin!... that really helps me out... I have been in a mental battle ..trying to figure out what is the smartest and interesting idea to use. I have been beating myself up about...possibly going with "old school" mechanics and technology. Technology is so smart and slick today...imagine how seemless it would be in 100 years.... probably to slick for this competition... Look at the piece I have posted now... I think it is a great example of that... of course I could take it futher and bring the human elements back out to the surface.

I need something that is going to satify the needs of the competition and still be slick enough for me to like it.

Thanks for the insight fellas! I have a direction ... hopefully
work will slow down soon ...and I can flush out some of these ideas for you to see.

duddlebug
03-31-2004, 06:31 AM
shawnalanpeters? huh?

are you in a machineflesh muddle? didya think you were on your thread? sounds like you were replying about your stuff rather than my stuff...? on my thread...? ooooh...the cheek of it.... :)

you've got me confused....

ho hum...

bonestudio
03-31-2004, 08:58 AM
Well good luck for your personnal project I hop it will survive the machine flesh challenge.

You have a great universe here, the second snowy one is really cool

duddlebug
04-06-2004, 09:01 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2021/2021_1081242070_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2021/2021_1081242070_large.jpg)

I haven't had chance to post anything for ages.

I thought i'd post this as a work in progress concept. I've put in the new girl and a version of the dog. I should be able to post a more finished version tomorrow.

I still haven't done too much with the machine elements (i'll try and incorporate some more into this sketch)...but i'm gonna get onto that over the next week or so.

I've had a couple of other ideas for images based on this story, so i'm gonna work up some roughs for those too.

duddlebug
04-07-2004, 04:58 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2021/2021_1081357118_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2021/2021_1081357118_large.jpg)

Another idea based on the same story... 30 seconds before the previous image. The dead monkey in the other concept is one of the three on the scooter in this image...just before he gets grabbed and half eaten by a baboon!!!

I told y'all baboons were bad!!

Gotta rush now...off camping in Scotland for easter!!

Falcorr
04-07-2004, 06:07 PM
This is great :beer:

I can allready imagine a wild chase scene in my mind.

Wish there would be more of the machine flesh concept in your pictures. Anyway this works very well as a solo project to me.

Konstruct
04-07-2004, 08:26 PM
this is a beautiful example of how important a concept is.
much respect :bowdown:

im keeping my eye on this one for sure.

Sketch23
04-07-2004, 11:18 PM
I'm loving your work. It'd be cool to see a short done with these characters... or comic.

RLyons
04-08-2004, 02:07 AM
Love the idea layout, everything! Stick with it :bounce:

JasonChan
04-08-2004, 02:47 AM
I'm so happy that the dog is back :applause:

These images are just getting better and better. I like the new chase scene sketch, too. Can't wait to see more!

BloodTaster
04-08-2004, 03:24 AM
Yeah! Great job!!
I'm waiting for more

cartoonimator
04-08-2004, 10:16 AM
Heya Duddlebug!

I was kind of a lurker myself on these boards up until this challenge. I love your style and artwork. Please, keep them coming! Great inspiration.

What is your process for comping images? I'm always curious to see how other artists do it, with they're own touches. I love the character you manage to shove into a 1-3 color piece.

duddlebug
04-08-2004, 11:28 AM
Thanks again for the comments...

I'm at my mum's in Wales so i'm getting frustrated with her dial-up...quick reply then off to Scotland (3 countries in two days!!) I'm gonna have a browse and look at other entrants' posts when i get back to work on Tuesday...

Cartoonanimator: I compose images with layout paper or in photoshop. I tend to do quick sketches whilst getting ideas sorted and composite them on layout paper or play around with scale in photoshop. Then print them and use them as a basis for another drawing. If i'm really stuck i'll do tiny thumbnails until i get close to the composition i want and enlarge them in photoshop. The style tends to be more 'cartoony' in my first roughs too.

Evil Gerbil: Yeh!! I'm glad the dog's back. Unfortunately, our dog Toby had to be put to sleep last week so it was an incentive to get him back in the image. A little memorial to a long time friend.

Sketch23: I'm planning on working this up as a comic. Might be posting some rough pages during my concept phase....

Falcor: I'm going to do some more thought out concepts with the machine elements much more visible. The machineflesh theme is integtral to the story so it will come more to the fore as the concepts progress...honest...but i'm still thinking about character. I'm going to do some more baboon images which'll really feature machineflesh. A couple of weeks away though with work and leisure commitments...

Thanks again...look forward to broiwsing other entries on tuesday...i'm off to get soaking wet on a scottish campsite!!

TIO_MATT
04-08-2004, 12:49 PM
NICE STUFF MAN AMAZING CONCEPTS!!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

bonestudio
04-08-2004, 04:28 PM
man you rock :buttrock:

concepts after concepts this getting more and more intersting !

Can't wait what you'll do for the final pict

the-mighty-m
04-20-2004, 09:58 PM
i am liking this alot...

shawnalanpeters
04-20-2004, 10:10 PM
jonny,
sorry about that earlier post. You were right .. I replied to a post on my thread.

I am loving where you have been taking this. It is great seeing various themes in your entries. Your work has been inspiring me to push harder on this challenge. I like your drawings.

you got my vote.

How long before you start doing some color?

duddlebug
04-21-2004, 08:48 AM
Hi Shawn

No Problem...i thought it was funny. It got me confused for a minute, though!!

I'm gonna try and browse other entries and comment at some point today. Everything has been hectic at work (i usually come in early or stay late to browse but i've had too much to do) and i haven't got internet at home yet!! So i've hardly had chance to view over the last two weeks...let alone submit any work...

I'm aiming to do some colour work this weekend. I've been away for the last two weekends for my girlfriend's friends' birthdays!!! Very frustrating!! This weekend i'm drawing!!!!

Sausage
04-21-2004, 09:00 AM
Crackingly good stuff there, Jonny.

The first one with the gorilla is still one of my favourites. I like the look of the ape.

As always, quality stuff.

Roy

Ste
04-21-2004, 06:23 PM
I like this a lot! It's nice and quirky! The little dog is hilarious looking (in good way!)

Good luck

KingFurryWobblr
04-21-2004, 06:49 PM
Duddler! awesome stuff - always liked yer style :)

Didnt read al the posts (got a game to make ;)) but howabout mixing n match some animals, half ape, half something else plus some techy bits?

Kid looks great btw. and the chase scene.

PJ

Rog
04-22-2004, 01:48 PM
Come on Jonny, need more posts, the suspense is killing me.

Great work so far, like in previous comments, the subtle machine elements work better for me, that mop of fur over the orangutans shoulder ball and the glimpse of mechanical forearm between fur joints leaves a more convincing feel.

ltr

Rog

duddlebug
04-22-2004, 02:55 PM
there's more to come on Monday morning...promise...

KingFurryWobblr
04-22-2004, 02:57 PM
MONDAY! - thats a disgrace.

masahiro
04-23-2004, 12:01 AM
Good line drawings. Ideas might be similar to some other ppls; however, I believe you have the talent to turn it into something new and fresh! Keep up! ;)

duddlebug
04-29-2004, 09:14 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2021/2021_1083230075_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2021/2021_1083230075_large.jpg)

Again, I've not had chance to mail for ages because of a heavy workload and some emergency bicycle maintenance taking up most of my free time!!

Here's a sketch i did on the train on the way home last night. It's kinda rough but it's part of my evolving storyline so it's just helping me visualise stuff...

I did another couple of drawings when i got home, so i'll upload those once i've had chance to scan them....

duddlebug
04-29-2004, 09:19 AM
And before someone says it....i know i didn't get stuff sorted for Monday!!!

I had a car breakdown (leaving my girlfriend's house early saturday to go home and do some drawing!!), most of a day trying to get it working again, then all sunday trying to rebuild the back hub on my mountain bike so i could get to work!!!

I feel like i'm making excuses to my junior school teacher...

Two more drawings to come later today...and i do reeeally promise this time...

modelFarm
04-29-2004, 09:59 AM
Very very cool!!
I love it!!

in first time I have similar idea , may bee i posted , but your ape (orango) is fantastic!!
:buttrock:

duddlebug
04-29-2004, 11:33 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2021/2021_1083238423_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2021/2021_1083238423_large.jpg)

Thanks modelFarm...

Here's another of last night's sketches...

It's the same scene as an earlier concept, but from a different angle and with a more detailed orangutan. I've not done a lot of 'machiney' stuff in the past so i'm gonna concentrate on getting the apes designed now. Then really try and nail the composition (and which scene to concentrate on!!)

I've done a more detailed version of the orangutan...need to tweak the scan in photoshop and then i'kll upload it sometime this afternoon...

Woole
04-29-2004, 12:20 PM
More, MOOOOORE. Please show more of your sketches. Thatīs absolutely the style i like.

flyingP
04-29-2004, 03:16 PM
Actually I liked the earlier version you did of that scene with regards to the composition at any rate..... good all depends on what you decide to go with...still great sketches and a cool concept :thumbsup:

duddlebug
04-29-2004, 04:09 PM
Hi FlyinP

The previous sketch wasn't necessarily a study for the final composition. It was more of an aid for me to get a handle on the scene. And was origianlly a rough sketch of the girl i'd done previously and discarded. I wanted to do some more work on the character and design of the orangutan so i added it to the discarded girl drawing.

I agree that the first version with the orangutan was a stronger composition, and i'll be working up an image closer to that drawing, if i decide to go with this scene.

I still want to do another version of the moped chase, although that lends itself to a stretched out landscape image and not the proportions we're working to on this challenge.

I've also got a couple of 'happier' ideas that need visualizing (within the same story and world), before i settle on my final image.

I'm gonna upload the other orangutan image after work today...within the next hour or so...but it needs some tweaks to the scan in photoshop.

duddlebug
04-29-2004, 04:47 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2021/2021_1083257226_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2021/2021_1083257226_large.jpg)

Here's that third sketch from yesterday.

It's really WIP on the orangutan design. There's a few things i'm not happy with (his floppy right arm, for instance!!) and i'm going to develop the machine elements further. Once i'm happy with the balance of machine and flesh (and fur!!) then i'll adapt the pose for my final composition.

The machine bits are supposed to replace injured bits of the orangutan, and i figured that he'd have most of his injuries around his arms.

He's supposed to defend the girl and monkeys from the baboons, so with his size and reach he'd be fending off the baboons and sustain injuries around his hands and arms, which the girl would repair.

The baboons are also going to be semi-mechanical (like the ones in the moped concept) and may feature in the final image.

Hopefully i'll get chance to do a bit more this evening...

kress
04-29-2004, 05:21 PM
I agree, push the machinery a little. Looks GREAT :scream:

duddlebug
04-30-2004, 09:30 AM
I was thinkin' about this last night...i am gonna push the machinery...but i'm going to 'adjust' the story and theme a little.

It's kinda gone a bit dark...wanna brighten it up.

Gonna change it to a circus!! And then a lot of the machinery can have a purpose. Animals that can trapeze. And spin plates on their nose. And the dog can have a hat. With a bobble on top.

erm...i think...

and do some colour stuff...

just gotta find the time....

Sausage
04-30-2004, 10:56 AM
Top notch, as always Jonny.

I like the way you have developed the ape, but do prefer the face on the second to last concept you did.

I know your latest concept is more developed in other areas, but I like the general look of the face in the previous sketch.

Roy

Cameron
04-30-2004, 10:59 AM
nice to see something unique looking. you seem to have a very natural style which is brilliantly executed. the character poses are great too.

:buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

duddlebug
04-30-2004, 11:01 AM
Cheers Roy... the last one was an experiment in making him fierce looking.

And an exercise in getting more mechanical bits on him.

I'm probably gonna go with the circus theme so it'l probably become more light-hearted anyway.

coose
04-30-2004, 11:03 AM
nice work duddle,

when we gonna get some colour to give a feeling of mood?

VOO
04-30-2004, 12:29 PM
I like monkeys.

Sausage
04-30-2004, 03:19 PM
Jonny, have you ever seen an elephant with painted nails?

If so, do u think it got someone else to do the honours?

Anyway, it would be nice to see some splattering of colour, like Camperon said.

VOO
04-30-2004, 03:24 PM
I really like Monkeys.

Cameron
04-30-2004, 03:25 PM
eih ?

duddlebug
04-30-2004, 03:26 PM
There's kinda been colour in some earlier versions....monotone-ish though.

I will try and get some colour stuff done next week...although that's NOT another promise.

I need to explore the circus idea a bit and make it all a bit more lighthearted.

duddlebug
04-30-2004, 03:38 PM
And i'm going to have a go at learning Painter for this challenge...so i need a good chunk of time to get stuck into the colour versions.

I could try and knock out some colour studies in Photoshop, though...

VOO
04-30-2004, 03:45 PM
Some nice pictures Jonny. I think instead of a little girl you should do a portrait of a man wearing shades and holding a gun but one side of his face should be metal and his eye should glow red.
Bet no ones ever done that before.

Oh and put more monkey's in it.:applause:

mattmos
04-30-2004, 03:47 PM
Wow, I love the style of your drawings! Not normally a fanboy but I can't actually think of any meaningful crits so I'll just say keep up the good work :beer:

Sausage
04-30-2004, 03:56 PM
VOO, do u like monkeys, by any chance?

the-mighty-m
04-30-2004, 06:50 PM
your style is so cool!!!! your primates are coming along really nicely!

you should go into drawing monkeys full time!!

:applause:

XIA
04-30-2004, 06:54 PM
Shit! Great work all over the thread! Love the monkeys...so alive.

young_927
04-30-2004, 08:49 PM
awesome sketches~ can't wait to see them rendered!
I should start on mine~

OKMER
05-02-2004, 12:52 AM
Yap,Nice work,man!!!!Do like Ourang's me a lot!!!Can't wait to see how you you gonna put all this in one picture!!!
Love it:thumbsup:

Freever
05-02-2004, 06:08 AM
So will you be using Painter or photoshop?

duddlebug
05-04-2004, 08:18 AM
Freever:

I'm gonna do some initial colour stuff in photoshop, because i'm confident and pretty experienced with it. But, i'd love to get into Painter, so i'm planning to use this challenge as an incentive to learn it.

Obviously, if i can't get what i want or struggle too much with Painter then i'll revert back to Photoshop. Or juggle between the two. Although, i haven't really had chance to play with their compatability...

flyingP
05-04-2004, 08:23 AM
[B. Or juggle between the two. Although, i haven't really had chance to play with their compatability... [/B]

they work fine together, and this is more or less they way I work myself.

duddlebug
05-04-2004, 08:38 AM
FlyingP....Thanks...What versions of each do you use? Would there be issues with using a slightly older version of Painter (6 for instance) with a more recent photoshop (7)?
Or vice-versa?

flyingP
05-04-2004, 08:48 AM
Actually I'm using version 6 for both, I can save and open photoshop files in Painter 6 without any real problem. Worth noting Painter 6 does not support "all" the layer functions from photoshop (ie you get just the bitmap layers) and it handles alpha's um... differently, which is to say I have always found masking in Painter to be a real P in the A.
I'd assume newer versions would have even better compatibility

artjunkie
05-04-2004, 11:15 AM
Wow... your designs and illustration style ROCK!:buttrock: Can't wait to see some colourful painterly goodness (or photoshop goodness... whichever you use). Keep up the awesome work! Cheers :beer:

duddlebug
05-04-2004, 05:09 PM
FlyingP...Thanks for that!!

I'll bear in mind what you said about the layers. I do use layer masks a lot in Photoshop (i'm a bit of a layer obsessive) so i'll try and commit them before moving between packages.

I'm more interested in Painter for its brush effects and the texture it can add to an image. Photoshop's come a long way in the last couple of versions with it's brush controls and flexibility with custom brushes...but painter can always provide those happy accidents you get with real world media.

I'll probably try and switch between the two as i develop the image.

Should get around to some experimenting at the weekend.

flyingP
05-04-2004, 05:23 PM
Actually layermasks may we be compatible haven't tried that, Painter 6 has them just not sure if they work the same (have to try that one myself :shrug:), it's selections that are a pain, and layers for colour correction, tone values etc, won't get imported

MikaelPersson
05-04-2004, 09:41 PM
Hi Jonny.
Those latest gorilla sketches are very nice, me like.

To make it a tad more cheerful you will have to take it a step further than a circus I think. I have a hard time finding something more depressing when you involve animals.
How about twisting it another revolution? Make the circus manager a mechanic human and the half machine half ape creatures finally triumphing over him? Or go the full way of those horrible circuses...

As mentioned earlier, some colour tests would be interesting to see.

cheers,
Mikael

Freever
05-05-2004, 02:09 AM
But the image on 04-29-2004 09:14 AM is the strongest to me.

Feels more animated and dynamic.... would love to see you mask that as a multiply layer in photoshop and paint under the image...
holding on to the line drawing style..... Very nice work.

As for photoshop... I like 7.0 a lot and cs has some great new brush controls... but painter is a whole other world.

I'm looking forward to your coloring... I think you have the most interesting concept so far...

mushki
05-05-2004, 07:46 PM
Beautiful drawings - very sensitive observation. looking forward to seeing how you tackle the artwork. Photoshop is great for masking, while Painter ( version 8) is catching up, but is not quite as intuitive as Photoshop. Switching between the two should be fun (in a nerve wracking sort of way). Happy experimenting.:thumbsup:

duddlebug
05-14-2004, 04:17 PM
Well...Blimey....that's a pain in the behind, innit??

There was a few waffly ideas i'd typed on here that i haven't written down anywhere else.

I'll get the drawings i'd posted back online soon...

Where do hackers get their kicks doing this kinda thing??? It really gets my goat!!!?

duddlebug
05-20-2004, 11:18 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2021/2021_1085051899_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2021/2021_1085051899_large.jpg)

I've been trying to remember everything i'd typed up in the week we've lost.

I know i said a few things about the 'circus' idea (see my post on the 30th April) and what my plans were for the next couple of weeks whilst i nail my final composition and do some colour tests.

The circus idea came about because i wanted the machine elements of the monkeys to have more 'purpose'. I wanted most of their mechanical enhancements to do a job. And a circus is the next best thing to a zoo.

And i wanted to inject a bit of humour. Everything was getting a bit too dark. It'll stay fairly dark... there's still going to be the dead monkey... but i wanted the monkeys to look like they belonged to Miki's Magical Mechanical Monkey Circus. I think we've lost the post where i gave her a name!! She's called Miki.... partly because it's kinda ethnically ambiguous...

She's got a monkey circus. But she's escaped from another monkey circus called 'Cirque Bezerk' run by a very nasty, funnily dressed Ringmaster(i'll re-post the image). And she took a lot of the 'nicer' monkeys with her.

And now they are rivals. And he wants his monkeys back.

So i want the image to hint at the story.

These are very rough and quick layouts based on my original 'dead monkey' image with the girl and the orangutan (03-26-2004) but with the Cirque Bezerk peeps included. I wanted the image to have more depth so i'm looking at something along the lines of the image on the far right with the dead monkey and the girl in the foreground, the orangutan towering over her but looking back, and the baboons and ringmaster of Cirque Bezerk in the background. The baboons are responsible for killing the small monkey and the orangutan will have a baboon in his fist.

I'm taking some liberties with scale... but then they're all half machine and it's a fantasy, eh?

I'll get a bunch more drawings uploaded today... and maybe some more tomorrow if i get chance to scan them...

And then i'm gonna browse and add comments to other threads that have lost my replies...

duddlebug
05-20-2004, 01:06 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2021/2021_1085058402_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2021/2021_1085058402_large.jpg)

BAh!! I just typed up a long explanation of these then it didn't upload!? Are cgtalk still having hacker problems?

Anyway...

Here's some very rough monkey musician sketches from Miki's circus. There's a mostly-tin clockwork drummer monkey, a organ grinder monkey with integrated sheet music and winder and a big tuba monkey with a tuba growing out of his back and buttons on his tummy to play it. I want Miki's Monkeys to all look like they have specific machine elements that she's added for the circus performances...

I'm going to work up a few ideas for the different monkeys from Miki's circus. They're going to be brightly coloured and silly-lookin... in stark contrast to the dark baboons of 'Cirque Bezerk'.

When i'm happy with each monkey design i'll decide if i can fit it in to the composition around Miki, the orangutan and the dead monkey....

duddlebug
05-20-2004, 01:13 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2021/2021_1085058793_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2021/2021_1085058793_large.jpg)

This is an exact replica of an earlier post that went missing in 'the lost week'...just thought it'd be worth posting again as it was:

I think i'm gonna go with the face off between the two circus troupes.

So i thought i'd start designing up some circus specific monkeys. This was an issue i had with my concept. None of the characters seemed to have any reason for their mechanical bits, so with the circus they can have mechanical enhancements that serve a circus purpose. Like the monkey cannon ball duo. One has a cannon. One has a big steel unbreakable skull. Perfect.

And i've been thinking about my story.

Miki (the girl) used to 'work' for Cirque Bezerk and the evil monkey mechanic circus owner. They performed to the grey and desperate people of the post climatic disaster world. But he wasn't a nice boss. He had a nasty temper. And fed her stale bread. So she escaped. With the friendlier monkeys. Like the orangutan. And the MonkeyCannonDuo. Who weren't happy either.

But the Evil Circus Owner wasn't going to accept their escape. So now he's after her. And he's reeeal mad. And they're both performing circus acts along the way.

So the image will be a confrontation... i think...

duddlebug
05-20-2004, 01:16 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2021/2021_1085058973_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2021/2021_1085058973_large.jpg)

And here's another replica post... i'll get some new images uploaded today too:

Here's another quickie...more story development really.

I'm still keen on the circus idea so this fella is the girl's nemesis and owner of a rival mechanical monkey circus!!

I'm thinking of doing a final image showing a big face off between the two rival circuses (spelling?)... with loads of monkeys!! There'll be the happy, colourful Magical Mechanical Monkey Circus run by the little eskimo-esque girl.... against the mean and nasty Cirque Bezerk run by this vagabond and his evil half mechanical baboons and apes.

I've got some days off next week so i'm gonna promise a colour image... and hopefully a final concept...

flyingP
05-20-2004, 01:23 PM
he he quite like the organ monkey......good and the cannon is a killer too :D

duddlebug
05-20-2004, 01:42 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2021/2021_1085060537_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2021/2021_1085060537_large.jpg)

Cheers FlyingP... Looked at your thread earlier to see if you'd got your lost images back online, and the final image looks great!! The close ups are fab too!! I'm gonna add comments and go through my favourite threads later when i'm not as pushed for time!!

As i already said... these are rough designs for Miki's circus monkeys and will be worked up and most will be added into the final composition.

Here's another sketch of a flying Gorilla who can hold up a trapeze. I was gonna do a drawing of Miki being lifted on a trapeze. He's probably too big to add into the current composition.. so will remain very much a concept.

There's some new Miki concepts to come when i get time to scan them...

duddlebug
05-20-2004, 01:46 PM
Thought i'd mention...

I realised that we've lost the pages but that our uploaded images and text are still on the 'view entries' part of the forum... so i realise i've repeated myself a bit by re-posting the mising images with the same missing text.... but hey... it's nice to have everything on the actual thread!!

Craymels
05-20-2004, 02:51 PM
Really nice the concept of using apes ,the design of the ape is kool

duddlebug
05-20-2004, 05:39 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2021/2021_1085074782_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2021/2021_1085074782_large.jpg)

AaaAArgh... just had two failed attempts to upload this... and it's only the roughest of sketches...

A while back someone asked me about process, so i've been posting quite a few rough sketches as i think about the different charcters that are going to be in the final composition (they all need designing!!)

Here's some really quick sketches of the girl in similar poses to the original orangutan image. As i've mentioned, i'm going to rework that image with more charcters to reflect the story i've developed.

They are very rough, But they do show the first step i take...

duddlebug
05-20-2004, 05:42 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2021/2021_1085074946_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2021/2021_1085074946_large.jpg)

Here's what should be the final design for the girl (unless i decide to put her in her circus gear).

She's stood up for this drawing, but should be knelt down near the dead monkey in the final composition. There's another sketch coming in a few minutes...

duddlebug
05-20-2004, 05:49 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2021/2021_1085075372_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2021/2021_1085075372_large.jpg)

This is close to how i currently see the girl in the final composition.

I'll need to get the image sorted and look at the perspective though. It's got the dead monkey from my earlier sketch. He's been ripped to bits by the baboons (they are so mean and nasty!!) And she's made an attempt to fix him... BUt his skull is too damaged (not enough 'flesh' to fix him) so she's given up.

It's all a bit sad...

I'm going to do a bit more on this drawing and some neater layouts (than the ones i posted this morning). And then do some colour work!!! Less than a month to go!!

duddlebug
05-20-2004, 05:52 PM
Keep calling her 'the girl'.

But she's called 'Miki'.

Now i've just gotta think of the names for the orangutan, the evil Ringmaster of Cirque Bezerk and all the other little monkeys....

duddlebug
05-20-2004, 06:26 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2021/2021_1085077616_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2021/2021_1085077616_large.jpg)

Here's a neater version of the last sketch.

I've just started blocking out some rough colours, but i thought i'd upload the sketch first. It's in Col-erase pencil. I've desaturated it and played around with the levels so i can use it for a colour 'sketch'.... i'll post that as WIP before i get my train home...

duddlebug
05-20-2004, 06:53 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2021/2021_1085079187_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2021/2021_1085079187_large.jpg)

I thought i'd throw up a few steps of this image. These are just colour tests... it's not the final image!!

I'm going to have to get the style established so i'll probably do a few colour test images whilst i'm composing my final image.

duddlebug
05-20-2004, 06:54 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2021/2021_1085079277_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2021/2021_1085079277_large.jpg)

And here it is with a bit more added... just blocking in really quick in photoshop.

duddlebug
05-20-2004, 06:56 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2021/2021_1085079405_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2021/2021_1085079405_large.jpg)

And a bit more...

Gonna have to get off to my girlfriend's house now. She's getting hungry!!

I'll do some more work on this tomorrow (and post it up) and then get on with the final layout over the weekend...

sketchfiend
05-21-2004, 01:30 AM
Absolutely love your style bud, ive just come accross your thread and followed it through, it really shows a great progression of ideas.

The Circus theme is a nice deviation from where you started, i must say though that i personally like the workshop idea, almost like a taxidermist except she not stuffing the animals, shes giving them life again.

Saying that brings into mind a Toy store or something, another scenario could be that she is rebuilding the animals to give away to other kids as toys.

Either way bud whatever you do is going to look cool, youve got a sweet looking sketch style, cant wait to see what you finally come up with.:thumbsup:

Have a good one mate.:D

duddlebug
05-21-2004, 09:11 AM
Hi Sketchfiend...thanks for the comments...

"The Circus theme is a nice deviation from where you started, i must say though that i personally like the workshop idea, almost like a taxidermist except she not stuffing the animals, shes giving them life again."

My story still is along those lines... she would still need a workshop but it'd probably have to be mobile. Like an old VW bus or something. With an awning. And an operating table. And one of those pop-up roofs. And it'd have the name of her circus painted down the side and a couple of tattered flags. And monkeys on the roof. I just felt she had to 'do' something. Rather than just sit around her big empty zoo. And she is exactly what you say... like a taxidermist but assembling the creatures back into life... She just uses them in her travelling circus show when she gets them working.

A girl's gotta make a living in a post-apocalyptic world....

And she's gotta keep ahead of those bad boy baboons of Cirque Bezerk.

"Saying that brings into mind a Toy store or something, another scenario could be that she is rebuilding the animals to give away to other kids as toys."

I love that idea... if i wasn't so far with this idea i'd really consider deviating towards that. I might do some sketches anyway... to tease myself...

Thanks again. They were really useful comments.

sketchfiend
05-21-2004, 09:39 AM
great to have helped out, will definately be following your progress dude, you got an awesome idea running. Cant wait to see the end result.

Have a good one. K:thumbsup: :D :wavey:

pau
05-22-2004, 12:37 AM
nice concept, I like it:thumbsup:
keep it up

claudiojordao
05-22-2004, 05:31 PM
:) this is very good... keep on to it.
Did I mentioned that this is very good!?
Keep on to it.

duddlebug
05-24-2004, 09:31 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2021/2021_1085391078_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2021/2021_1085391078_large.jpg)

Here's a more detailed concept of the Sultan, evil owner of Cirque Bezerk and nemesis of Kooki (potential new name for girl!!)

He's going to be in the background with a bunch of his bad boy baboons (see layout sketches posted 05-20-2004 12:18PM).

Gonna work up a more detailed design for the baboons and a couple of Kooki's monkeys and then get a the concept Milestone uploaded.

duddlebug
05-24-2004, 09:32 AM
Oh... and thanks for the comments!! Much appreciated!!

Riddick
05-24-2004, 09:48 AM
Nice pencil line!:)

duddlebug
05-24-2004, 06:29 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2021/2021_1085423352_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2021/2021_1085423352_large.jpg)

He's reeeeal bad.

And not very colourful.

Another quick colour block-in to help me on my way...

flyingP
05-24-2004, 09:35 PM
like it :thumbsup: .... like it A LOT actually :bounce:

duddlebug
05-25-2004, 08:36 AM
Cheers flyingP... i'm having headaches with my final composition though. If only i was at the stage you are with everything done and dusted... :)

modelFarm
05-25-2004, 09:27 AM
greeeeeeeatt!! fantastic!
I like your style!! I love the ape under the turbant!!
What program do you use? photoshop and /or painter?

sketchfiend
05-25-2004, 11:46 AM
Lovin the fact that youre sticking to minimal colour, your drawings and line work are so descriptive that making it very colourful might detract from the nice subtle features. Hes a very dark character anyway so its almost like hes covered in shadow and Darkness.

Love that little monkey on his turban, its soooo small and yet looks more menacing than the one by his leg.

As for the composition i can almost imagine him standing in a crowd of animals and you can see where hes walked through the crowd as its as though hes parted the red sea. and around him are standing his mob of evil monkeys acting like his body guards.

The girl could be presenting him with one of his fixed evil monkeys, and it could be a big deal to him as it is his favourite one, the one he loves the most. But instead of him being evil shes made him good...

Meh, anyway, thats not really a composition im just making a story up for you. And you obviously dont need it, Awesome work, i look forward to more.:thumbsup: :D :wavey: :bowdown:

Luter
05-25-2004, 12:49 PM
Dear DuddleBug : I like your work very much ! Good drawing and very nice concept. I wait wait wait your updates.:bounce:
:wavey:

bonestudio
05-25-2004, 04:16 PM
good luck man !!! for your compo !!!

I think we had the same problem, by making a composition with several characters... But if you look at the contest briefing, the contest is about one character !

I think it will help you to concentrate on a badass machineflesh monkey.

duddlebug
05-25-2004, 05:49 PM
hi Bonestudio

AaaRgh... you made me wonder then... I read the brief as doing however many characters you fancy. It is really ambiguous though. For instance:

"Create an image depicting a mechanically altered or enhanced organic lifeform. The lifeforms do not necessarily have to be human." (from 'your mission' in the machineflesh entry guidelines)

So the first sentence suggests one character (with a singular 'lifeform')... and the second sentence suggests more than one character (with the plural 'lifeforms'). Very ambiguous.

But from Leigh, a moderator, on the FAQ...

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can I have maybe 2 or more characters in a scene ?

Yes, there is no limitation on the number of characters.

(03-17-2004 08:26 PM)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So... i dunno... But I think i'm gonna stick with a whole bunch of good and bad circus machine monkeys and see how it goes... I've kinda got this story all sorted now and a i wanna visualise it.

There is the issue of time though... i reckon it'd have been much easier to concentrate on just one character. I've got too many darned monkeys to think about!!

Thanks for the comments though (and to everyone else)... this forum is a great incentive to keep on working....

Freever
05-26-2004, 01:31 AM
Very nice work... Nice to see you painting the images...beautiful work.

Luter
05-27-2004, 01:32 AM
Hey guys !!

I think you worry for nothing....it's a character design contest !! So..1, 3, 100 characters is not the problem. The problem is : do I have time to finish my 100 characters , or, I prefer focusing on a good idea (mamamia, please give me a good idea)........... And you have the answer from leigh so what's the matter ? Go on with yours !:D

Anyway..............I repeat myself : I love your drawings ( is that the correct term in english ?;) )

:wavey:

r3studios
05-27-2004, 07:43 AM
great characters dude! i love your line art. do you use polychromos?
that would be a great comic :D even a great one with just concept sketches in there :bounce:

duddlebug
05-27-2004, 08:56 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2021/2021_1085648167_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2021/2021_1085648167_large.jpg)

I'm still farting around with this girl. That may seem daft when she's the one character without no 'machineflesh', but she is the focus of the story and the image.

I was talking to a couple of friends who'd seen the thread and they weren't as keen on the side view i started colouring a few days back. When i thought about it i had to agree. It creates a barrier between the viewer and the girl and makes it more difficult to connect emotionally.

So i doodled a front on view that'll fit in with the composition. here's the rough...

And thanks for the comments!!

goli: yeh!! the right term!! and lots of characters is good if the ideas good and/or you believe in it!!

r3studios: if you mean the blue pencil then i use Sanford Col-Erase pencils. I use 'Blue' but there's a dark blue and a light blue (and other colours).

duddlebug
05-27-2004, 08:59 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2021/2021_1085648379_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2021/2021_1085648379_large.jpg)

And here's a neater version... and for the people who asked... THE DOG IS BACK!! (RIP toby duddle!!)

I changed her proportions a little from the rough sketch. I'm not sure which i prefer...

duddlebug
05-27-2004, 09:01 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2021/2021_1085648513_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2021/2021_1085648513_large.jpg)

And just to get a feel for the composition... here's the line drawing dropped onto the colour sketch i started.

I'll block in some colour on the girl later on.

And then really concentrate on the final concept over the weekend...

sketchfiend
05-27-2004, 09:07 AM
Even if the girl isnt machine flesh herself, i dont think that should matter, the idea that she creates the machine flesh should fit the criteria, its all apart of the story youre telling. The monkeys are the machine flesh in your story.

The sympathy emotion that i tend to feel for her is that she is always faced with death, not directly to herself but its a part of her work. And as youve shown perfectly in your latest sketch, shes a very sad little pup. The fact that she is completely human should make it much easier to relate to emotionally, the view youve provided and the posture suits the situation well. Sadness, tierdness, relief they all shows through.

Keep it up, dont stress too much youre doing an excellent job.
:thumbsup:

Luter
05-27-2004, 11:59 AM
I really like your characters, especially the littles ones..
The idea too is great, and deep.
Very good work.
I Stay tuned for the next..:)

shawnalanpeters
05-30-2004, 01:50 AM
it's been fun following your posts.. lots of directions and cool drawings.. at what point do you stop and decide which one will be your final? ..so many choices...and they are all beautiful drawings..by the way.

also, this last image or direction... I was wondering if the theme"mahineflesh" will be that apparent when the image isn't connected to the history of all the other posts. I was thinking it may be helpful to push the mechanical stuff on the dead foreground monkey... the blood definetly says"flesh"

just something to think about..

I can't wait to see the finished piece!

A3DLover
05-30-2004, 06:28 PM
Killer idea Duddlebug I like your concept sketches, I'm thinking my entry just might get scrapped by the mods. I'm using all obscure freewares for my project and since yours is the 1st entry I've looked at since entering, I'm thinking holee-cats what kinda talent have I decided to embarrass myself with, LoL!
good luck to all.

modelFarm
05-31-2004, 09:09 AM
Good sigh....:cry:

I'm waiting for new picture :thumbsup:

TeemuR
05-31-2004, 11:34 PM
Sorry for not posting earlier in your thread. :( Lots of great concepts you have here. :p I just miss the big gorilla. :/ Maybe you should Include that gorilla in your composition roaring after his dead friend? Concept sketch: "Dead monkey" and "orangutan girl" has some strong compostions. Maybe you should go to those directions? Btw. I Love your style! :love: :beer:

duddlebug
06-01-2004, 09:14 AM
Thanks for the interest!!

I'm definitely including the big orangutan with all his mechanical bits... and a bunch of other monkeys... and the sultan with his baboons in the background!!

I've gotta get the concept milestone up this week.... then get really into the line art and getting the final image sorted.

All these sketches are just elements of the final image. I'll post a couple of rough layouts i did last night when i get chance to scan them. Then start working up a decent final concept.

There's gonna be loads more machine!!

cabertevon
06-01-2004, 12:11 PM
Wow... Love your stroke man...

Visit my 2D Machineflesh Thread (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=131262&perpage=15&pagenumber=5)

cuppacam
06-02-2004, 11:46 AM
Damn Damn Damn that's a cool style. Love the monkeys but what has sold me all along has been the orangutan and the girl.

MrFreeman
06-02-2004, 12:38 PM
I really love your character designs - and great sketches.

I love the girl and monkey, but agree you should include the sultan somewhere as he is such a strong character.

I also agree that though the girl isn't machineflesh herself, the overall concept is, so shouldn't matter.

How's the Painter dabbling going?? I have to say that I've used Photoshop for years and still am, but I'm also trying Painter for the first time in this competition and it is so much better for this type of work...

Great Work:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

sketchfiend
06-03-2004, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by cuppacam
Damn Damn Damn that's a cool style. Love the monkeys but what has sold me all along has been the orangutan and the girl.

I second that, i absolutely loved the little girl with the Orangutan right from the beggining i cant wait to see them make a come back. I looking forward to your next update.:beer: :D :thumbsup:

0-2
06-03-2004, 10:49 AM
GREAT WORK, keep it up, I love it all. Very good characters, man you're talented.:bowdown:

NinjaA55N
06-05-2004, 08:16 AM
that little monkey is the best :D

when will we see the whole thing? I mean... the pic with all of the characters in one place? Cant wait to see what kind of composition u'll choose... dont keep us waiting for too long ;)

ioio
06-06-2004, 10:11 PM
Man your drawings are amazing! This is something like Disneys style! Great job!!!:applause:

MAdPhoenix
06-09-2004, 10:02 AM
Like your style :bounce:

Have only joined now wil read the whole story around this girl when I have time...

but apart from that looks like you have a character here with great potential give it some colour bud... please.... times running out.

keep up the standard you set :buttrock:

duddlebug
06-09-2004, 05:01 PM
Thanks for all these responses... while i've been adding nothing!!?

I've been dead busy at work and was away at the weekend for my girlfriend's birthday, so i've been really struggling for time to work on my entry.

I'm hoping to get some work done tonight and get the concept done before the weekend. the line art will go up saturday and then i'll have to work my socks off to get everything done for the deadline. I might try and take a day off work next week to give myself a chance...

thanks again for the comments, they're much appreciated!!

paulwdavidson
06-09-2004, 07:53 PM
Get stuck in duddlebug!

I'm in a similar position, but i'm going to make time.

I think what you have developed so far is far too good to let slip.

Take a look at mine and see how much i need to do....but i'm going to finish it.

Let's push each other over the finishing line.

Good luck

Paul

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=133522

sketchfiend
06-10-2004, 12:05 AM
Good to hear that you havent forgotten about the comp, We missed your beaut work. A lot of us are in the same position so its just a matter of pushing ahead and getting in as much time as possible. I look forward to seeing your composition and final stages. Once again, glad youre back in the race...:beer: :bounce: :thumbsup: :D

duddlebug
06-11-2004, 08:36 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2021/2021_1086942977_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2021/2021_1086942977_large.jpg)

Thanks again for the comments... I remember saying in april or so: "oooh....loadsa time yet!!"

And then you have a couple of weekends where you can't work on your entry and a couple of weeks working late on the day job and suddenly *BaM*.... it's a week before the deadline!! How did that happen??

Anyway...

You'll all probably think "haven't we seen this before??" and you'd be kinda 3/4 right... i always said i'd probably come back to this image because i was happy with it and it got such a good response. Going with a gut feeling and all that. All the stuff in between has been story development really, for my own satisfaction. And to give some background.

The bad guys are going to be in the image too... i've just got to decide to what extent...

There will be final concept and line art milestones submitted over the weekend... I've finally got internet access sorted at home!!!

I just need a monitor now... rather than the piddly little screen on my laptop...

And a scanner, perhaps...

duddlebug
06-11-2004, 08:41 AM
Oh.... and i have fiddled around with the comcposition of the foreground characters!!

And put a much later drawing of the girl in there!!

And i've been off taking photos for background inspiration over the last few days. Cycling off around town at lunchtime.

I think i know where i'm going with the background now.

And the background will be riddled with bad boy baboons... and maybe the sultan... i'll make a call on that as i nail the final composition...

duddlebug
06-11-2004, 08:42 AM
I kinda feel that i doth protest too much.

There'll be a finished image by the 18th June.

Promise.

modelFarm
06-11-2004, 08:48 AM
I will remember! You do it....
:scream:

hephez
06-11-2004, 08:48 AM
I am glad to see that you continuous :thumbsup:
I have an eye on your work since one moment, and I find the sketches : :drool: :eek: :bounce:

sketchfiend
06-11-2004, 09:21 AM
good to hear it duddle...i look forward to seeing your composition.:thumbsup: :bounce: :beer: :D

duddlebug
06-11-2004, 12:49 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2021/2021_1086958141_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2021/2021_1086958141_large.jpg)

THIS IS JUST A COMPOSTITIONAL TEST. I'M NOT USING A PHOTO FOR THE BACKGROUND IN THE FINAL IMAGE!! (thought i'd put that in capitals to avoid any confusion or discussion!! I took a bunch of photos for reference and this was a quick way of visualising my composition)

I've been going through the reference photos that i took earlier on this week, and i'm going to draw up something based on this environment. I've always loved this railway bridge in Manchester. It's HUGE. And rusty.

ANd i can just imagine 'kooki', and her monkey circus troupe, finding their dead monkey friend in this environment. And i can see loads of baboons amongst the girders and walls... watching... waiting... salivating...

They'll come next. I'm going to look through my photographs and draw up a composition based on several of the pictures, exaggerating the scale and curves of the steelwork.

I've also got to decide whether i should include the Sultan somewhere in the background... or whether that would complicate the composition.

As i said earlier... i'll post a finished concpet tomorrow and my line art milestone sometime on Sunday.

Then it's just a case of painting the blighter...

maybe i should just design a stress monkey..?

duddlebug
06-11-2004, 12:56 PM
What's the score with the size of our final image?

Does it have to be to the proportions in the entry guidelines?

Does it have to be 2657x3636 (or vice-versa)?

Anyone know?

Luter
06-11-2004, 02:16 PM
That will be a great work..............i like it a lot..............and yes, this bridge is huge....:)

modelFarm
06-11-2004, 02:37 PM
go go go DUD!! :buttrock:

The bridge is goood!

I don't know but my image are 3000 W. x 2000 h.....:hmm:

duddlebug
06-12-2004, 11:47 AM
hmmm... i read through the FAQ last night and found a couple of posts regarding the size of the image. This was an answer from Leigh to a question regarding the rendering of an image larger than 2657x3636:

if that is the size it rendered, then so be it. The guidelines on the instructions page were a common example, as it turns out. So submit that.

So i reckon that it's okay to go with a different size, as long as its fairly high resolution and somewhere near the specified dimensions....

At least i hope so because i'm in the process of drawing up my finished concept and i want to go with a slightly different sized image.

(i noticed that the alienware challenge had lots of differently sized images too!!)

artjunkie
06-12-2004, 12:58 PM
Love that last composition, bro! And once again, I have to say that you're character designs really are inspirational. Hark, the deadline approaches... now PAINT, damn you... PAAAAIIIINT!!!:D

P.S. check your PM

londero
06-12-2004, 01:21 PM
Amazing trace.:bowdown:

I've seen your monkeys and... man! your stile is superb. I not agree thah is like disney... is more intense!

sweet and intense.

Congratulations and

FORCE!

Londero

Del pecado de mi pueblo comen, y en su maldad levantan su alma. (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=141195&perpage=15&pagenumber=11)

phoenix
06-12-2004, 01:48 PM
lovly progress

MikaelPersson
06-12-2004, 02:02 PM
Nice Jonny!
That last test is very promising. Especially if you were to add loads of babboons in the girders.
I think you should leave the evil guy out of the picture. Having two focuses may detract so much from the final image. To me just having that gang and her broken monkeys infront of her says it all. Then it is very probable that there is someone who works against her.

:wip: work, work, work.

duddlebug
06-12-2004, 04:35 PM
Hi Mikael!!

I've been thinking along those lines too... It may just be too much to try and include him and detract from the girl who, although lacking any 'machineflesh', is supposed to be the actual focus of the composition.

I'm at my drawing board now... working on the final concept... and i think i'll omit him and just have the baboons hidden amongst the girders.

It was always gonna be a story i'd continue working up after this competition, so i can do more with the Sultan later....

Still might change my mind though!! :)

leigh
06-12-2004, 09:29 PM
So i reckon that it's okay to go with a different size, as long as its fairly high resolution and somewhere near the specified dimensions....

Yup, the important thing is that it's a nice big print resolution image :)

duddlebug
06-13-2004, 08:47 AM
Hooray!!

Thanks Leigh...

paulwdavidson
06-13-2004, 11:06 AM
Hi Mate, i've loved your stuff right from the beginning.

Great stuff.....i like it a hell of a lot!

Get it finished......it deserves it.

Good luck

Paul

duddlebug
06-13-2004, 01:30 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2021/2021_1087133406_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2021/2021_1087133406_large.jpg)

Thanks Paul!!

Believe me... i really want to get it finished!!

I've been struggling this weekend to get the final composition i want along with some more 'machine' parts. I figured that if this is in some post-climatic-catastrophe/post-apocalyptic world then she'd have to fix her monkeys with scrap and found things so i've been collecting images of old engines and car parts over the last couple of weeks. I've been trying to integrate themes from these images in my current drawings with mixed success. I've also been trying to make the circus functions a bit more apparent (give 'em all hats!! LOL!!). The sad looking chimp is gonna be the monkey cannon, with his monkey ball friend, for instance.

And i decided to include the baboon that killed the little monkey. He's in a spot of bother with our orangutan friend...

But this is the current concept...

I'm gonna carry on with this until it's all worked out then do a neater version for my Line ARt milestone. Hopefully that'll be pretty soon... then i can take 2 or 3 days off work to get it coloured!!

Ho hum... enough typing... i've got shed loads of work to do!! Friday here we come!! aaaaAAaRGGGgHHHh!!!

duddlebug
06-13-2004, 05:28 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2021/2021_1087147725_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2021/2021_1087147725_large.jpg)

Here's the final concept!! (pretty similar to the last one with a couple of tweaks... rotated by a few degrees... moved the cannon monkey... did soem quick and scruffy painting in photoshop to show the shape of the orangutan)

I've started drawing up my Line Art and should hopefully post that at some point tomorrow. It won't be radically different... and may not even be that neat.

I'm still trying to decide whether to use the line art in the final piece or go for a completely painted image...

Luter
06-13-2004, 05:32 PM
I really like your work.....it's nice and deep. Hope you can finish it before the end.

I wish you the best !!

Cheers

jeffrey

duddlebug
06-13-2004, 05:36 PM
Hope you can finish it before the end

HahHAHhAHHAHhHAHAhaHAHA... erm... so do i... thanks jeffrey!!

I feel so jealous of you guys who are practically finished with amazing artwork... 5 days to go... aAAaAarGhhhh!!!!!!!!?????!

duddlebug
06-13-2004, 05:48 PM
Although i do realise that you're nearly finished because you've put a lot of hard work... this forum has been fantastic inspiration!! And the standard across this competition is mind-blowing... there's some incredible artists out there!!!

i'm just hoping i've got enough time left to get where i want with this piece... so i can try and compete with you guys...

I'm just starting to feel a little bit stressed... don't you just love deadlines!!??

Luter
06-13-2004, 10:00 PM
:hmm: .............................................................................................:D

Sorry duddle.......i didn't want to stress you...:blush: ...........
I really wish that....:cry: ..........ok ok i shut up....:D
keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep...............up !

feeesh
06-13-2004, 11:08 PM
Good luck in finishing, I really hope you find the time. THis is looking to be a great piece. I feel ya though. Im in the same boat. WOrk takes up so much time that now we're down to the wire with most likely a week of sleepless nights getting this done in time.

:surprised

-JH

TeemuR
06-13-2004, 11:54 PM
Your final composition looks FANTASTIC! I can see the final image already in my mind and it is going to be mindblower! :D:bounce:

well, this doesn't give any help for your stress? :D

Zenlines
06-14-2004, 10:30 AM
You will never forgive youself if you don't start coloring. Do it man,
you made so far, studied so much in your concepts and got to such an incredible comp, the characters are driving me nuts, they're so cool.
You can still kick our butts. Color, color, color, color, color, color, color, color, color, color, color, color, color, color, color, color, color, color, color, color, color, color, color, you can make it, make it, make it, make it, make it, make it, make it!!

Zenlines
06-14-2004, 10:37 AM
:twisted:GET WOOORKING! :argh:

Zenlines
06-14-2004, 10:41 AM
YOU CAN DO IT:arteest:
You know I'm practically in the same $#!t, so gun-in-the-back-of-the-neck replies are welcome.

modelFarm
06-14-2004, 10:45 AM
..come on Dude!!! work work :buttrock:

remember..."the force will by with you".....cough cough! cough!!

duddlebug
06-14-2004, 11:03 AM
hahahaHAha!!

I'm gonna do everything i can to get it done...

I'm sitting at work drawing 'other stuff' at the moment (ie. work stuff) and it is just so incredibly frustrating....

I'm gonna take at least a couple of days off this week so it will get done... honest...

VOO
06-14-2004, 04:30 PM
I like your monkey.
I wish he was orange.

ps. ad another monkey.
monkeys rock.

paulwdavidson
06-14-2004, 09:50 PM
Keep the pace up duddlebug....you'll do it....i know you will. Really nice drawing and composition....it works....so get the damn thing coloured!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll come back to your thread Tomorrow, to give any last crit, on the build up to final submission. I'd appreciate any last crits on mine, also.

Much appreciated, and the best of luck!

Paul

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=133522&perpage=15&pagenumber=8

shawnalanpeters
06-15-2004, 04:39 AM
what journey you have taken every one on.. your work reminds me a little, like someone I work with..aka agent 44. jake parker.

you seem like you have a less complex approach to rendering and color than others on the forum... I have faith you will pull off a great color piece by the deadline.. Your work has been fun to track..and I can't wait to see the final.

duddlebug
06-15-2004, 09:42 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2021/2021_1087292555_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2021/2021_1087292555_large.jpg)

Just a WIP... a neater drawing i did last night. I'm gonna add the girl and other monkeys at some point today...

and then it'll be time to colour it in!!

VOO
06-15-2004, 10:32 AM
Looking good Jonny.:thumbsup:

AirbORn
06-15-2004, 01:15 PM
Awsome work duddlebug, simply amazing. I don't think I should say this cause you probably already know, but there are only 3 days left!!! Hurry I can't wait to see this finished, and I am sure i'm not the only one who feels this way. ^ ^

duddlebug
06-15-2004, 02:12 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2021/2021_1087308735_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2021/2021_1087308735_large.jpg)

haha... yup... i definitely know there's only three days left!!

I'v got the next two days off work, so for the first time since the challenge started i'll have two full days with no distractions to get some work done!!

I'll have the complete line Art uploaded by this evening and then i've got 48 hours to get the colouring sorted. that'll leave friday to decide if i want to make any last minute changes. Although i am back at work on friday...

Here's the drummer monkey for the foreground...

I've drawn all the elements except the dog now... i'll assemble them after work tonight and post the final Line Art, before i get my train home.

Then i've got to get my new internet connection working tonight(i was supposed to be plugged in on saturday for broadband but i've been at my girlfriend's house since friday so don't know whther it all works yet!!), wait for my new monitor to turn up (before 10am wednesday they told me!!?), get my laptop working with an extra monitor (the graphics card is supposed to support it?) and work my butt off!!!

duddlebug
06-15-2004, 04:49 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2021/2021_1087318141_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2021/2021_1087318141_large.jpg)

Not gonna type much... too much to do!!!

Here's an almost finished Line Art. I'm gonna add the dog and a few lines to represent the background.

I still don't know how much i'm going to use the Line Art... Whether i might just do a completely painted piece. But even if i don't use it, it's still a useful exercise to clarify the image in my mind. Even at this late stage.

Another image to come in the next hour or so... then it's off home to see if i can get my broadband working...

artjunkie
06-15-2004, 04:53 PM
BRILLIANT!!!!

Now I just want to see some paint... this'll look awesome in colour! Keep up the amazing work, bro... your artwork rocks :buttrock:

just paint, already... PAAAAIIIIINNNT! :D

duddlebug
06-15-2004, 04:58 PM
The painting starts tonight!! YipppPPEEEeeeeEE!!!

um...?

duddlebug
06-15-2004, 06:17 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2021/2021_1087323450_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2021/2021_1087323450_large.jpg)

Here's the lil'doggy...

duddlebug
06-15-2004, 06:26 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2021/2021_1087323997_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2021/2021_1087323997_large.jpg)

This is my final Line ARt...

Which leaves me three days to get the colour sorted!! And i've got the next two days off work!! Hooray!! I'm not sure how i'm going to treat the line art in the final image... i'm gonna play that one by ear... whether i'll paint over it and make it fairly subdued... or keep it quite strong. But then, 'not knowing' is half the fun of making artwork!!

As i mentioned earlier... I've had broadband put in at home, but haven't been back to test it and/or set it up. SO it's just possible you may not hear from me until Friday if it doesn't work!! I'm hoping it'll be all sorted and dead easy to set up... then i can throw up colour WIP's throughout the next couple of days, rather than when i get back to work on friday!!

And then there's supposed to be a monitor delivered first thing in the morning (i've been meaning to get one for ages) so i don't have to do the whole thing on my laptop screen!!

So much to do... so much to go wrong...

And thanks to all the people who've been pushing me on...

I hope the final image won't disappoint...

Good luck to any of you entering the comp!!

aminator
06-15-2004, 06:35 PM
I....I'm speechless....your designs are beyond amazing <wipes away the drool> - I want to animate them! The amount of concept stuff you've done on this is borderline insanity! Looks amazing, though - worth all that pre-design! Am waiting on pins and needles to see some colour!

paulwdavidson
06-15-2004, 06:42 PM
Stunning!

ardenrey
06-15-2004, 07:15 PM
This work is probably the most touching in this challenge as it seems to me. :cry:

I love the progress of your work and with impatience wait for the final image. :bounce:

My MachineFlesh 2D Thread (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=131505&perpage=15&pagenumber=4)

lulaassassina
06-15-2004, 07:17 PM
Paint, duddlebug, paint!!!!!
Color it!!!

duddlebug
06-15-2004, 09:27 PM
Yippeee!!!

My broadband works!!!

Thanks for the comments... i'm glad you like it. I just hope that the colourin'in keeps y'all happy...

Luter
06-15-2004, 10:15 PM
Your characters are .....fantastics !
Your draw....................."."......."."

WIsh you tht best, as usual !!:D

...............................................:bounce: :thumbsup: :D

MrFreeman
06-15-2004, 11:00 PM
:applause: saving the best to last......

Don't keep us waiting any longer - no more than three days anyway

Great line art, amazing characters:drool: :thumbsup: :beer:

SideAche
06-16-2004, 02:00 AM
Love your work!!!!!:thumbsup:

AirbORn
06-16-2004, 02:44 AM
Go duddle go!!! Go duddle go!!! :buttrock:

sketchfiend
06-16-2004, 04:05 AM
Originally posted by AirbORn
Go duddle go!!! Go duddle go!!! :buttrock:

I second that...Goodluck to you bud:thumbsup: :bounce: :beer:

Zenlines
06-16-2004, 12:53 PM
PAAAINT!! duddleman what are you doing my dear?? I just hope you're some kind of ninja-DaVinci-SpeedyGonzales. You will do it! I'll come back to check on your progress and stress you like mighty hell!!

Luter
06-16-2004, 05:41 PM
Aaaaaaah at least...:D

Go on my friend duddle!!

duddlebug
06-16-2004, 05:42 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2021/2021_1087407733_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2021/2021_1087407733_large.jpg)

okay okay... i know... it's not very colourful...

But it's the first stage!!

Laying down lots of quick messy paint to start sorting the shadows across the characters. Not necessarily all the light and shadows... but kinda like an ambient occlusion pass in 3D. Sorting out tucked away areas and shapes.

duddlebug
06-16-2004, 05:46 PM
i'm painitng... i'm PAiNTiNg!!! :)

but i can't my big monitor anywhere near my phone line... so i have to disconnect everything to post updates and WIP!!! Which means you'll get a few images at a time...

I'm posting a few now... a few before i go to bed tonight... and then probably three postings tomorrow!! And then a couple more before the big submission on friday!!

Thanks for the comments!! And the encouragement!! I'm very flattered people are taking an interest...

More to come in the next ten minutes...

duddlebug
06-16-2004, 05:54 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2021/2021_1087408457_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2021/2021_1087408457_large.jpg)

Here's a screengarb from photoshop.

As i said in the last post, i'm just throwing tonal stuff down to define shapes and some of the more obvious shadows. It's all pretty dark, but i'm gonna paint over most of this as i go along. It also helps generate texture and interest on the surface.

Pretty lazy with layers at this point... i get quite finickity (?) as i progress. There's a couple of line art layers (set to multiply) and a layer set with a mask for these shadow layers. The mask is useful because i can be dead messy painting and mask it out later. And also soften some of the shadows... although there'll be adjustment layers and painted layers doing that too later. Finally there's the base colour which i do some reeeeally rough scribbling on to sort out shapes.

duddlebug
06-16-2004, 06:01 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2021/2021_1087408861_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2021/2021_1087408861_large.jpg)

So here's where it's currently at... i'd have liked to have been further on, but my laptop's been mucking me about with my wacom and display over two monitors!! So that took most of my morning!! It seems a bit slow... but that could just be the size of the image.... I've not done much at this scale on my laptop...

I've got most of tha base layer done on this image... and i'll be starting to add PROPER colour soon. :)

duddlebug
06-16-2004, 06:10 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2021/2021_1087409424_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/2021/2021_1087409424_large.jpg)

Me again!!

I thought i'd chuck this one up too...

This is what's there without the line art. I'm still not sure how much of the line art i'll ultimately use and how much will get lost in the painting. Like i said yesterday, i'm gonna play bthat one by ear.

I'm actually having really good fun messing about with the photoshop standard brushes... there's loads of new ones in PS7 that mahe pretty textures and shapes. Kinda makes up for the fact that i'm not brave enough to try and learn painter in the time i've got left on the challenge. I might even make a few PS brushes of my own as i get on with the colourin' in...

There's a few errors in the line drawing that i mightj correct in the painting stage too... or i might leave them as a stylistic thing!! :)

paulwdavidson
06-16-2004, 06:48 PM
Hi, mate. Thanks for getting back to me. Do you know anything about FTP? Is it a server of theirs, or do i need a certain bit of software for it....there doesn't seem like anything to point me in the right direction.

I know you're working like crazy to get your work done, and you don't need me hassling you.