PDA

View Full Version : Overcaster and FPrime

Xacto
03-18-2004, 02:15 AM
Are there any problems with rendering in Fprime with the Overcaster plugins?

:shrug:

gruvsyco
03-18-2004, 03:57 AM
to the best of my recollection, overcaster is something that is used to set up lighting in a scene... it's not anything that's called up at the time of render like a surface shader... it should be fine

uncommongrafx
03-18-2004, 04:53 AM
Nope, no good.

It does NOT work with OverCaster because OC uses Shadow Maps and they don't work with FPrime.

policarpo
03-18-2004, 05:54 AM
Originally posted by uncommongrafx
Nope, no good.

It does NOT work with OverCaster because OC uses Shadow Maps and they don't work with FPrime.

Just change em all to raytrace shadows in the Spreadsheet...and spin away!

Also, try out Distant Lights as your Light Rig setup...

:beer:

yog
03-18-2004, 12:19 PM
No need to go to the Spreadsheet, F-Prime will automatically convert all shadow mapped spots to ray traced spots.

One gottcha is that if you have excusively used shadow mapped spots in a scene you may not have ray traced shadows turned on in the render pannel.
Anothher gottcha is that the F-Prime pre-viewer does not do motion blur (esential for Overcaster), but the F-Prime Renderer does. And it is a lot better motion blur than LW so your Overcaster renders should have a lot more even shadows.

bloontz
03-18-2004, 01:40 PM
I've used Eki's light setups with FPrime without a problem, didn't need to change anything, however he uses hidden polygonal objects to control his rigs and an apparent bug in FPrime causes shadows from the hidden objects to be rendered even though they are set to unseen by rays, camerea and fog. I sent a report to Worley about the problem and am waiting for confirmation.

Edit: this problem only seems to occur with radiosity active.

Zarathustra
03-18-2004, 03:45 PM
Radiosity AND Overcaster? What kind of scene is that? I'm confused. :hmm:

bloontz
03-18-2004, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Zarathustra
Radiosity AND Overcaster? What kind of scene is that? I'm confused. :hmm:

I was using one of the plug pak preset scenes (3 point lighting) and decided to see how radiosity would effect it when I discovered the problem. I get your point, using radiosity with overcaster is overkill, just wanted to point out the problem for those as silly as me, or those that come accross this problem unexpectedly.

Zarathustra
03-18-2004, 05:38 PM
That's cool. I thought I wasn't understanding something.

Xacto
03-19-2004, 02:31 AM
Why can you use FPrime's RENDER option for motion blur and not the PREVIEW? Is this the limitation of OpenGL?

pixelranger
03-19-2004, 05:36 AM
Well, my guess is that they want to keep the preview window as responsive as possible.
Don't know why, though, since the motion blur would only show up after a few iterations (passes) anyway, but I'm not a programmer so...

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.