PDA

View Full Version : lip-sync animation

biochemist
03-18-2004, 12:09 AM
I have several lip-sync animation on my website.

http://members.shaw.ca/biochemist

I'd appreciate it if you can comment on them. Thanks.

biochemist

HumanZoetrope
03-23-2004, 08:16 PM
Hey Biochemist. Was there any specific ones you would like comments on? There are quite a few, so I'll just give you some general feedback.

I like your character. He's got that cute, 'Pinnochio' feel to him and it looks like he was built pretty well. But, one thing that struck me right away was the total lack of shoulder movement. You're missing out on a lot of lost personality potential because of this (in your close-up shots, especially). I know your character doesn't really have shoulders (a design decision you may want to think about in future characters), but any movement in that area will really help sell the character. We had a guy from Pixar come to our school and he said the shoulders are one of the most important--and overlooked--emotive parts on the body. Ever since then I've payed close attention to them, and I've learned that he was right.

Other than that, I'd say your animation examples are a little heavy on the close-ups. Because of that, you've really got to pay attention to the subtlety of acting and motion. In some of them the head never stops moving (Lou Gherig). In others, I don't think you've exaggerated the emotions enough (simplest task). You did a really good job offsetting the sides of the mouth, though (something I need to keep in mind for my own lip-syncs). I like those little details.

I really, really like the 'singing' clip. *Great* poses. I wish it was longer :) Your walk cycle is nice, too.

Overall I think the quality of your animation is damn good. These are just my nitpicky comments. Keep up the good work!

Just my two cents. - Jeremy

biochemist
03-26-2004, 03:52 AM
Thanks for the comments. I hadn't really noticed about the shoulder movements--that's a really good point. I'm going to fix them somehow to improve on that point. Cheers.

biochemist

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.