PDA

View Full Version : Machineflesh 2D Challenge Entry: Eric Wilkerson

EricUNSL
03-17-2004, 09:02 PM
Eric Wilkerson has entered the Machineflesh 2D Challenge.

EricUNSL
03-20-2004, 07:14 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/1900/1900_1079813640_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/1900/1900_1079813640_large.jpg)

Toren's wife DiNaala, an experienced waste management controller, was accidently exposed to multiple types of radiogenic waste during an explosion aboard her vessel. She suffered irreparable damage to over 90 percent of her body. Barely alive, DiNaala was rescued from the damaged freighter and had most of the more highly contaminated portions of her body amputated. Her husband pleaded with the local Waste Control Union to allocate funds toward rebuilding DiNaala's body with a experimental new robotic procedure. The Union Committee scoffed at the idea and deemed Toren's wife's accident an occupational hazard. Fearing he would soon lose her forever, Toren assembled what funds he could raise so that he and DiNaala could travel to the medical station in high orbit above their planet for the operation to begin.

This scene depicts the moment when the pressure sensors of her upper torso became active so that DiNaala could once again experience human touch.

EricUNSL
03-20-2004, 08:03 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/1900/1900_1079816583_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/1900/1900_1079816583_large.jpg)

I usually never show these steps, but this is good for me to document the stages. After talking with a friend of mine I decided to do a sketch that expands out from the original sketch to show the outer hull of the ship. Just enough to see other parts of the med lab. I'm working on some color variations on this sketch. If someone has a helpful suggestion or crit, speak up. I get the strange feeling I'll be talking to myself til completion.

DSedov
03-20-2004, 08:25 PM
ITs looking really good! I cant wait to see it growing.

rickycox
03-20-2004, 09:50 PM
Nice feel, I like the storyline as well.

EricUNSL
03-22-2004, 12:08 AM
Thanks for responding,

I hope to have this one done sometime in April. Trying to think of it as an actual job. I wouldn't get three months to knock this out if it were comissioned. I needed a story, some reason for all this to make sense. Glad you like it.

francis001
03-23-2004, 03:22 PM
I like the story. The framing device is a nice idea, but to me it seems to cut out a lot of the image. My suggestion would be to pull that wall back toward us a bit so that the window area is larger. If I were working on this image, I might also try to get more "space" into the area where the characters are. That could give you a little more room to show the lab and its technology, as well as more of her artificial torso and limbs.

If she is in the process of undergoing treatment, what if you show a lot of life-support and monitoring equipment attached to her? Also, it might be interesting to show how the radiation has damaged her - maybe burned skin, hair loss, etc.?

EricUNSL
03-29-2004, 02:25 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/1900/1900_1080530756_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/1900/1900_1080530756_large.jpg)

Still playing with the environment and color scheme. Gave it a subtle art nouveau design and expanded the windows to see more of the lab. Thanks Francis.
Now to work out the finer details of the lab and her torso.

harnelbe
03-29-2004, 03:37 AM
:beer: :buttrock:
i like the design of your concept !
i have seen your post on the Website
Concept Design Forum
You have a great melt of Pure New Design
and 60's Science fiction !:thumbsup:
I like a lot.
Your page-setting is very professional.
I stay tuned to your work..

Tommy Lee
03-29-2004, 04:49 AM
I love your artwork.. so I am sure this will be also impressive!!!:thumbsup:

Nothing to crit... u are true master!
Cheerz:beer:

Tommy Lee

EricUNSL
03-29-2004, 10:01 AM
Hey thanks guys,

Yo I was just on google image search a minute ago looking for radiation burn victim photos. I didn't think there would be much but boy was I wrong. Some of the pictures were discusting. Hiroshima ratiation victims etc. Now I have a huge amount of reference to go on for DiNaala's scarred body. I almost puked. This is gonna be great.:bounce:

Tommy Lee
03-29-2004, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Eric UNSL
I almost puked. This is gonna be great.:bounce:

LOL:beer:

BloodTaster
03-29-2004, 12:39 PM
Wow, awesome man! I keep my two eyes on it!!!

duddlebug
03-30-2004, 07:44 AM
I really like the 'classic sci-fi' feel of this painting. And i think opening out the windows to reveal more of the inside has helped the composition and the interest. The story is good too...very poignant.

I'm looking forward to seeing it progress...

E.T
03-30-2004, 09:50 AM
Very nice. I like that its a calm piece.
No guns, no "im a bizarre bastard with mechanical stuff growing outta my head. (although the stuff doesnt actually DO anything it just looks, well, cool)"

i like the art noveau idea too. That surely would separate it nicely from run-of-the-mill sci-fi.

element5
04-04-2004, 10:07 AM
love ur style dude,

keep up the great work :beer:

EricUNSL
04-05-2004, 02:59 AM
Thank you all,

I'm glad you all like what I'm trying to do here. I love some of the really violent and weird stuff popping up for this challenge. For me I couldn't go that route. I recently had a death in the family and think sometimes what might have been done to prevent it.

Oh well, I finished gathering reference and shot model ref for the scene. Working up a final drawing now. This is the stage where I would normally be modeling the background in 3d but that's a no-no so I gotta go in a hand draw ellipses. But what the hell, it'll be faster than me lining up vertices. Post something soon. I'm working on a final design for DiNaala's body so that it doesn't look so Borg queenish if ya know what I mean.

Oh I'm also updating my site with progress shots from this challenge, just in case I get lost in all 19-21 pages of challenger postings.

bonestudio
04-05-2004, 09:22 AM
very interesting to post these steps !

I think that you don't need the foregound elements of your picture... They hide more than they are usefull.

But it will be a masterpiece for sure :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.