PDA

View Full Version : Machineflesh 2D Challenge Entry: Neil Benjamin

nineinchneil
03-17-2004, 04:44 PM
Neil Benjamin has entered the Machineflesh 2D Challenge.

nineinchneil
03-17-2004, 04:50 PM
my idea is a shot of a waitress that's enhanced to manage her diner better. i'll have some concepts up soon.

good luck to everyone.

nineinchneil
03-17-2004, 05:57 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/1847/1847_1079549857_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/1847/1847_1079549857_large.jpg)

here's my concept; an enhanced waitress, better suited for her trade. i haven't flushed out what her right arms are going to be exactly doing, but i want them to be basically preparing the food. one arm might even have a couple recently slaughtered animals hanging from it, ready to by gutted. more concepts sketches to come.

nineinchneil
03-17-2004, 09:03 PM
i'm not too sure what kind of color scheme i'm going for, but i know that this diner is a dive. it should have a pretty grimy look to it. i'm sketching some studies of the waitress; i'll have it up in less than an hour.
i want to point out that the above shot is NOT the composition i'm going for. it was just a quick sketch.

nineinchneil
03-17-2004, 10:15 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/1847/1847_1079565320_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/1847/1847_1079565320_large.jpg)

i like these colors on her; it's those really awfully bland colors old people usually wear. i decided to have her wear spandex-like tights that old people should never wear, but do in order to 'retain their youth'. . . :)
i was also thinking of maybe having her hang naked in a concealed compartment above the diner; a sort of headquarters where she monitors and runs everything. it's an intriguing thought. . .

nineinchneil
03-17-2004, 10:18 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/1847/1847_1079565513_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/4/1847/1847_1079565513_large.jpg)

i'm having trouble deciding what kind of look i want the 'machine' part of her to look like. i gave 'steam punk' a couple seconds of thought, before throwing that idea out the window.
i do like the oversized joints in the original sketch though. i don't know. any suggestions?

wildsheepchase
03-17-2004, 10:45 PM
You've got some nice concepts so far. I like the oversized look of the mechanism in the first concept. I think you should make some of the arms dedicated to specific functions, such as a coffee pot, condiment dispenser, etc...instead of just robotic claws.
I like how her legs are tiny...since she hangs from the ceiling a good portion of the time, that makes sense.
You might want to make her clothes a bit dirtier and give her an apron.
I don't really have any more suggestions as far as the mechanics. I'm struggling with that myself :D

nineinchneil
03-17-2004, 10:59 PM
thank you. yeah, i definitely plan on dirtying up her clothes a bit. i did think about giving her an apron, but then realized that she doesn't really need it; since she's never close to the food she prepares or serves. it's all done with the hands. but you're probably right; an apron would make it more obvious that she's a waitress.
i like the fact that her legs are small too. i'm trying to keep them as minimalistic as i can; as you can probably guess, i'm very influenced by the great bruce timm.
i wasn't too sure how the ends of her arms were gonna look like. i can't really delve into that, until i come up with a general mechanical style for the scene. i'm gonna do a little research into cartoony machinery, since they're usually exagerrated and oversized. i'll post updates. meanwhile any more crits and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

JasonChan
03-17-2004, 11:39 PM
Very original :thumbsup: I like what you have going so far. I agree with adding the apron - she's just not a waitress without it. What might also be cool is those old-lady glasses that are really pointy at the outer edges, if you know what I'm talking about. And maybe an arm dedicated to just feeding cigerettes to her mouth :shrug:

Pumpuli
03-18-2004, 01:24 PM
Your idea is fun and quite good. But can the customers see her as they visit the restaurant? If they can, the restaurant would probably keep her in clean clothes and she would look more like Pamela Anderson. Silicone, nosejobs and liposuction are probably cheaper than hydraulic arms... And why keep the legs, if she never leaves the machine?

nineinchneil
03-18-2004, 03:00 PM
wow, thanks guys. i'm glad you like it. i know those retro glasses you're talking about, but it might be hard placing them seeing that she has no definable eyes. i'll do some sketches and experiment with it.
the idea of an arm dedicated to feeding cigs in her mouth is awesome! that's definitely going to be added now. thanks!

Alice
03-18-2004, 03:11 PM
Great idea!
Maybe changing so that she doesn't serve people behind her back, that kinda ruins the purpose of having a person modyfied, if you cant talk to them?
(Just having a halfcircle of table?)

Verry hitchikers guide to the galaxy'isch :)

nineinchneil
03-18-2004, 03:34 PM
thank you, alice. :) to tell you the truth, i didn't want to imply that she talks to anybody. i was thinking of her floating in the middle of the bar, while the tv displays on some of her hands do all the talking; my idea is that the tv screens contain A.I. that do all the talking. they show pictures of amazonian-looking waitresses, to contrast how deformed this old woman is. (i tried to draw out a tv display in the first sketch, but it didn't come out too great).
the basic premise is that she isn't just modifed to do things faster while she talks to people; she's modified so that she can rake in as much money as she can. it's a future where nearly every aspect of life is on an assembly line. being mass produced. being unmanned. no more of that bothersome 'social interaction'. why talk to a person, when you can talk to a fictitious busty 'girl of your dreams', order some food, and go back to your apartment and decide to model that 'dream girl' in 3D (without realizing that she was a rendering in the first place)?
sorry, went off on a tangent there. . . :p
anyway, i'm definitely going to have arms branching off of other arms; i think it would look cool if the place was like a 'spider web' of arms going about their business.
and as for the legs, i just think it looks kinda funny having them just dangle below her.

nineinchneil
05-23-2004, 10:44 AM
if it wasn't obvious before, i'll say this now: i have to back out of this contest. i've been swamped with work recently, and i have absolutely no time to see this through to the end.
good luck to all. there has been some amazing work submitted for this contest!
:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.