PDA

View Full Version : Machineflesh 3D Challenge Entry: Matt Forcum

Matt_Forcum
03-17-2004, 03:04 PM
Matt Forcum has entered the Machineflesh 3D Challenge.

Matt_Forcum
03-19-2004, 05:54 PM
Hey gang!

I am excited about this contest, and I am excited to compete against the best in the world!

My plan is to create a fun little model of a Walking machine which transports a small tree frog. The frog sits on a branch which is attached to an arm on the metal machine and It controls the speed and direction of movement via small electrodes attached to its brain.

I have several tree frogs so I have alot of great refrence. I should get the final concept sketch done this weekend and I will post it soon. (hopefully this is fairly original and I am not inadvertantly taking someone elses design.)

good luck to all!
-Matt

Matt_Forcum
03-25-2004, 04:03 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1822/1822_1080190986_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1822/1822_1080190986_large.jpg)

A frog can hop, but walking is another matter. This machine will help any frog do the normal, everyday things that the rest of us take for granted. Such as crossing the street, or stepping on a skateboard carelessly left on the stairs and falling and break a hip.

PaxtonGerrish
03-25-2004, 04:07 AM
dude! thats friggin awsome!

ParadiseFlyBird
03-25-2004, 04:17 AM
yeah Ephesus... i think ya concepts rockin...

nice mixture of elements. especially the wood handle attached to the mech... im trying to imagine this frog in frogger. he would have crossed the road easily :P ... when will ya start on the model?

Virum
03-25-2004, 04:48 AM
That looks really cool; I don't know why, but I really like it! It has a cool, light-hearted, story-book feel to it.

nuclearman
03-25-2004, 04:52 AM
Unfortunately, Matt, if you check through all the pages you'll find that over forty other contestants are doing the same (or very similar) stuff. Indeed, the breakdown of themes is roughly as follows:

23 % Biomech warriors
17 % Religious themes (mechanical angels, devils, etc)
12 % Grotesque medical procedures
9 % Modified farm animals
6 % Cyborg smurfs
5 % Walking tree frogs
28 % All other categories

So it's not *THE* most popular theme, but still pretty high up there. If you're looking for something less common, you might try "measuring-tape worms" or "combination house-fly/oil rigs," both of which are in short supply at the moment. ;-)

Matt_Forcum
03-25-2004, 03:42 PM
5% walking tree frogs eh?

hmmm....oh well, I like tree frogs so Im just going to keep on truckin!

PaxtonGerrish
03-25-2004, 03:43 PM
Yeh!.. besides this is the coolest walking tree frog ever!! :bounce:

Russel-Nash
03-26-2004, 06:21 PM
Year really froggin awesome. The best of the 5% to my mind. :bounce:

Shadow Seraph
03-26-2004, 06:39 PM
with the number of people in this contest ideas are bound to cross over... but each to their own each is unique in meaning and essence

i think it is a great idea and very cute actually so i truly enjoy the frog series

keep it coming
:wavey:

Matt_Forcum
03-29-2004, 04:35 PM
Hey gang, I checked out the enteries on friday, and I only saw one or two other frogs...am I missing something? Or am I in the wrong area?

nuclearman
03-29-2004, 06:36 PM
Matt, if you'd actually indicated you were reconsidering doing the frog I would've stepped in and pointed out the sheer improbability of 1 in 20 contestants doing a walking TREE FROG, fer pete's sake. :-) I assumed you'd take one look at the supposed breakdown of themes -- I mean, "6% Cyborg smurfs"??? -- and realize this was a joke designed to point out that, yes, what you've come up with is VERY original. True, there are a couple of other mechafrogs out there, but nothing even CLOSE to what you've dreamed up. So ... sorry to have caused confusion; none was intended.

mikekrush
03-29-2004, 08:38 PM
Very nice concept Ephesus :thumbsup: and so funny :)
I really like it and i can t wait to see it modeled :P
Keep on...

bigkrull
03-29-2004, 08:55 PM
great concept
:thumbsup:

bigkrull
03-29-2004, 09:00 PM
nuclearman said:

Unfortunately, Matt, if you check through all the pages you'll find that over forty other contestants are doing the same (or very similar) stuff. Indeed, the breakdown of themes is roughly as follows:

23 % Biomech warriors
17 % Religious themes (mechanical angels, devils, etc)
12 % Grotesque medical procedures
9 % Modified farm animals
6 % Cyborg smurfs
5 % Walking tree frogs
28 % All other categories

So it's not *THE* most popular theme, but still pretty high up there. If you're looking for something less common, you might try "measuring-tape worms" or "combination house-fly/oil rigs," both of which are in short supply at the moment. ;-)

--------------------------------

Very interesting. But really almost everything has been invented.
The secret is to give an old idea a new look, break the concept of desbelief and make it alive in its own universe.

Matt_Forcum
03-30-2004, 02:23 PM
no no no. hee hee.

I got the joke, but i kinda thought that maybe there were a bunch of others doing similar stuff.

I guess I am extra weary about "stealing" other peoples ideas.

Matt_Forcum
04-08-2004, 09:52 PM
Ive got sad news...Unfortunatly, my frogs have all become sick. Two have died and the third one is on its way out.

Because of this, I am having a hard time emotionally trying to work on this project.

I am afraid I will need to put this off until I either come up with a new Idea which I like, or a I get over this recent tradgey.

This may seem weird to most of you being that they are "just frogs." but they were special to me. And right now I cannot bring myself to look at the tank and see my last frog slowly, painfully, dying.

PaxtonGerrish
04-08-2004, 09:57 PM
damn i really liked this idea.. I had a whites tree frog that died on me once.. poor little guy. hope you come back to this one though.. Its cool

PaxtonGerrish
04-08-2004, 09:57 PM
damn i really liked this idea.. I had a whites tree frog that died on me once.. poor little guy. hope you come back to this one though.. Its cool

adr
04-08-2004, 10:04 PM
ooh man really sorry about that , the concept is very strong and the drawing is great . Dont quit the idea , you ll remember your frogs with this project . Cmon :) Give to your frogs an image to remember.

bigkrull
04-16-2004, 02:11 PM
I think like adr, I would continue.

By the way, it isnīt a good time for frogs. :shrug: They are the first victims of our over polluted world. I like them a lot, and now I realize that 4 or 5 years ago it was quite usual to see a lot of little frogs in my walks by the fields here, but now is very rare.:cry:

I think like adr, do it by them.

------------------------
my machineflesh:

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=132720

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.