PDA

View Full Version : My first wacom steps. A camel cartoon!

Joril
07-06-2002, 01:20 AM
I just bought my very own graphire2!
So I'm having a go at 2D too.
I drew this avatar for a friend of mine last night in Photoshop. I was in a "no-inspiration-but-i-ll-see-where-this-goes"-mood.
Thought I'd share it with you guys.
C&C are most welcome, it's not much to go on, but I need to improve my drawing skills, I let them go rusty for far to long.
Tell me what you think of it! :D

http://members.lycos.co.uk/Taskmaster/kameel2.jpg

Gamoron
07-06-2002, 04:36 AM
Not bad, looks more like a dog to me, needs some ears. I'd like to get one too. How difficult is it to use?

Joril
07-06-2002, 11:13 AM
Ears ... ears! I forgot the ears! Ah damn, well, I drew it at 4 o clock in the morning, without any camel reference, something was bound to be forgotten. :D

The wacom isn't all that difficult to use, it's a little geting used to but once you're drawing you forget about that and it's just like using a pencil.
Of course you can't turn your paper around like in real life. So I turn my chair.

ParanoidAndroid
07-06-2002, 01:24 PM
Pretty cool. :)

I draw or at least sketch alot of animals and camels are my favorite.

Gameron's right ya need some ears there but you've got one of the more important parts backwards...
A camels upper lip comes over the bottom...and the top of the top lip is very curvey...the nose also needs to come out further.

And yeah...not bad at all for being drawn with no referance! :)

I really like the eyes and the stubble. :D

puddlefish
07-06-2002, 06:34 PM
This has the makings of a nice drawing, but with something as simple as this it's the quality of your line work that will make or break it. At the moment it's too consistant, and too fuzzy (airbrush tool isn't the right tool for line work). Try making it smoother, and varying the weights to draw interest to particular areas, such as the eyes.

Joril
07-08-2002, 10:42 AM
ParanoidAndroid: hehe, yeah I know about the camel lips, I looked up some pics after I posted. Thanks for the complements :D

puddlefish: Thanks for the advice, that's gold. What should I draw with in Photoshop, the pencil tool?
I think I'll experiment some more, and maybe redo this drawing.

If anyone has anymore tips, don't hesitate to tell me, the help is really appreciated :D

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.