PDA

View Full Version : Machineflesh 3D Challenge Entry: barry hicks

imscifi
03-17-2004, 01:32 PM
barry hicks has entered the Machineflesh 3D Challenge.

imscifi
03-17-2004, 01:34 PM
ok... so I'm joining... THIS time with full understanding of how this is done. :D

JamesMK
03-17-2004, 02:40 PM
Yes yes yes - wabbit waits for the concept!

So glad you could join us.

CLONEOPS
03-18-2004, 12:21 AM
A hearty halloo and a fair thee goodluck!
You had a pretty good layout on the last challenge,
had a kind of a whimsical bent to it i thought.
What 3d software are you running?

TheFirstAngel
03-18-2004, 10:55 PM
Good to meet ya here too, bring em machines up, start the engines :):buttrock: :beer: best luck

imscifi
03-19-2004, 03:38 PM
hey guys! I have no idea what I am going to do still. Buisy working on some other stuff that needs to get done first.

I'll try and start sketching this sunday...

working on my staircase at home tomorrow, I do a lot of home improvement stuff, own a fixer upper... maybee I should do some kind of person for home constuction....hey...

DAMN! I just go my idea! WOOO HOOO! Rock the cassba!

Modern twist on my ode to Kali

Yeah, will have sketches out within a couple of days... heh heh heh...

JamesMK
03-19-2004, 03:51 PM
OK, I'm officially intrigued...

splotch
03-20-2004, 05:01 PM
lets see what can be don here ..
wish you good luck

keep thinkig to get the best idea :beer:

:applause:

CLONEOPS
03-20-2004, 06:03 PM
barry bo barry barry
barry bo barry go barry bic bic
go bic bo barry barry
bic go bic barry bic
go barry go barry go barry go
bic .

second verse more of the same
narry bo barry
barry no harry harry
barry now harry
bic.
go.
draw barry draw barry draw barry
icecream.
bic
third verse more of the same
go mo not to slow
go quick quick quick
quick slick
pressure mo mesher mo mesher mesher
mesh mash
mash mash..
bic slash.bic slash slash
bic
mash
.......................thanks got rid of my hiccups
:thumbsup:

jfelrod1960
03-20-2004, 06:36 PM
I checked out your website. Looks pretty cool so I'm subscribing to this thread. Waiting to see what you come up with.

Good luck in the challenge :thumbsup:

JamesMK
03-20-2004, 08:49 PM
Ok, drop the hammer and the nails for a minute and get some of those sketches in here STAT!

What does STAT really mean, btw?

Or optionally, just post a large version of your avatar.

Cullen
03-21-2004, 01:11 AM
I'll try and start sketching this sunday...
cool... I'll check back later.
Good luck to you

TheFirstAngel
03-21-2004, 08:00 AM
What does STAT really mean, btw?
The 3d sorc is charging her mana! lol
ahrgh, I'm playin too much RPG's

Singin along with cloneops:
Go Barry Go Barry Go go go!
Gemme a B Gimme an A Gimme an R Another R and a Y!!!
Gemme G Gimme an O! Go Go Go Barry Go!!!
(:bounce: jumps wild around:bounce: )
:scream:

Charm us!:beer:

DaVee
03-21-2004, 09:31 PM
Tell me if i'm wrong, but i think some people wait for some sketch.

:hmm:

imscifi
03-22-2004, 03:07 AM
ok ok ok ok..... I do want to do more sketches tomorrow... more detailing... and I also am going to throw up some more in ways of refference... there's a lot that will be going on behind this image... symbolism... a LOT of symbolism....

Kali... she is coming into manifestation... She runs through the masses of hysterical people... afraid of a 150 ft. tall goddess, who is dancing and slaying all those in her path. The bodies of her slain are ripped up from the earth and drawn to her body, moulding her form... heaps of weapons used against her, are drawn together to form a massive AK 47 or FAL... which also forms part of her hand and arm (one of three)... Another hand holds the head of what looks like a demon... this is made up of blasphemous lawyers, polititians, and preists of various faiths... In another hand a massive fire buns this is made from burning piles of books, scripts, and stones... and the last hand is formed by trees and plants in a symbolic gesture of tranquility... There are also the arms and heads that she wears... I'm still not sure as to what to make them up of yet.... Her hair is made of twisted I beams and other metal items, such as stop lights, cables, and other long metalic and rubber type items.

There are many more things I will post in the morning... refferences and pictures...

Enjoy... look forward to checking out other people work as well... been a loooooong weekend... (stairs still are not done)...

uh.. and no... I didn't use a bic... I looked and couldn't find one... so I opted for a plastic pencil...

I'll also post more of a dialogue for you guys... think "this just in...." news broadcast.

imscifi
03-22-2004, 03:08 AM
I know I'm tired... I forgot to refference the image... eeek!

http://www.imscifi.com/Kali/kali.jpg

Vedic-kings
03-22-2004, 04:45 AM
Hey nice sketches! She looks like Kali (the Goddess of Yogic Transformation). The character that i'm doing is going to have some hindu elements to her as well.

I'm going to keep my eyes on your chrarcter.

Keep up the good work :thumbsup:

JamesMK
03-22-2004, 07:27 AM
Sweet concept - I mean, Kali with an AK-47 :eek: ... Excellent choice!

Beatiful sketch and indeed a veeeery ambitious plan, not to mention the depths of the symbolism. I am officially impressed.

CLONEOPS
03-22-2004, 08:00 AM
Send ms. kali over to jamesmk to kik some ass , all his mine workers are horrribly exploited and could use a really huge ally.

Are the waist arms embedded in her like sinous snaky metal arms- and even the little heads ?
Does each arm represent an aspect of something in these types of god-beings?

Nice pose,and concept is sketch is very clearly executed.
She is going to be blue of course? Must be blue!!
ASS KIKIN KALI KLOBBERS KORRUTION!

JamesMK
03-22-2004, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by CLONEOPS
Does each arm represent and aspect of something in these types of god-beings?
I can actually provide a partial answer to that question (forgive me for stepping in)::..

The top right hand is the Hand of the Divine Playstation gamepad.

Ian Jones
03-22-2004, 09:10 AM
LOL at JamesMK. Gotta love unhealthy obsessions.

Vedic-kings
03-22-2004, 10:02 AM
LOL! at JamesMK, that was so funny!

CLONEOPS,

here a little info as I don't want this to take over imscifi thread.

Kali means time. Kali is dark blue in color, wears a garland of skulls. A long tongue sicking out laughing. she has 4 arms and hands, and holds a head chopper with one hand and severed head dripping blood with the other. She weras a skirt made of human arms.

Her head chopper cuts off the ego. For the ignorant it is the terrible foce of death. For the wise it is the power of knowledge, discriminating the eternal from the transient, which gives us the power to break all bondage.

The garland of skulls stands for all the creatures of the world, as well as for our own various incarnations, which are bound to death. The single severed head she carries represents the ego or the I-am-the-body idea that she annihilates. The skulls also show her ability to free our minds from identification with the body. The skirt of arms shows her power over all the organs of action. -David Frawley

CLONEOPS
03-22-2004, 12:21 PM
Vedic kings:
right - obstinant, mutant , head chopping-,serial killer, cult leader with a bad tan...that likes playstation.
well jeeeeeeeees i knew that.
gonna check it out some more .
thanks Vedic kings......

imscifi
03-22-2004, 02:12 PM
wow... all this debate on Kali... (she'd be impressed and pleased I'm sure!... no I'm not a follower... but I am an admirerer)

So, interesting to see what people believe Kali is. Actually, there are many forms of Kali, and meanings to what all the various icons mean. I'm gonna post some excerpts from some sites, and links to them (for anyone who might be interested in checking them out).

Got all sorts of goodies of info for ya... except for the story... I'm gonna write it up this morning in MS Word and post it.

Vedic kings : thanks! I'm enjoying your concept... nice modeling as well! I'm not opposed to you posting info about Kali on my thread... it wouldn't "take over", it would just enlighten and enhance it!

JamesMK: I've officially impressed the Bunny Rabbit! YAY! :D
"I mean, Kali with an AK-47" - Yup. I thought she should have something that would do sweeping rounds or just a nice pop here or there if she wanted... though, perhaps there isn't enough blood with that kind of weapon... but she is a Modern Kali... and the AK-47 is one of the choice weapons of Indians, along with many other countries! So, I figure if it's good enough for the masses it's good enough for her! ;)

CLONEOPS: yes, Kali does like Playstation, with the exception that her games really kill her players... who knows maybee I'll incorporate that idea! (thanks JamesMK)... tee hee! sounds like fun actually! *sigh* Anyways, if you want, read below... has a LOT of info on Kali.

Anyone who want's to know more about Kali please read on otherwise just go to the next post on this thread.

This is one of the most informative sites I've come across, because it talks about not just one form of Kali.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Kali Ma
http://www.paganpaths.net/kali.html

Kali is the Dark Mother of the Hindu pantheon. She has what seem like contradictory aspects to most Western minds: she is protectress/avenger as well as beloved, gentle mother, she represents death and rebirth, she has bloody, violent aspects yet is called upon for mercy. Kali is the basic archetypal image of the birth-and-death Mother, simultaneously womb and tomb, giver of life and devourer of her children. Kali is found in the cremation ground amid dead bodies. She is standing in a challenging posture on the prostrate body of her husband Shiva. Kali cannot exist without him, and Shiva can't reveal himself without her. She is the manifestation of Shiva's power, energy.

For me, Kali means the death of ego, the release of the concerns that hold us to this plane and keep us from advancing to the next, the reminder that all will be destroyed in order to become new again and again, the black formlessness of the void outside of time, dancing in response to the imminent death of all we find familiar, and embracing that which we fear as the way to disempower and transcend it.

Why is She so Fearsome?
Kali's boon is won when man confronts or accepts her and the realities she dramatically conveys to him. The image of Kali, in a variety of ways, teaches man that pain, sorrow, decay, death, and destruction are not to be overcome or conquered by denying them or explaining them away. Pain and sorrow are woven into the texture of man's life so thoroughly that to deny them is ultimately futile. For man to realize the fullness of his being, for man to exploit his potential as a human being, he must finally accept this dimension of existence. Kali's boon is freedom, the freedom of the child to revel in the moment, and it is won only after confrontation or acceptance of death. To ignore death, to pretend that one is physically immortal, to pretend that one's ego is the center of things, is to provoke Kali's mocking laughter. To confront or accept death, on the contrary, is to realize a mode of being that can delight and revel in the play of the gods. To accept one's mortality is to be able to let go, to be able to sing, dance, and shout. Kali is Mother to her devotees not because she protects them from the way things really are but because she reveals to them their mortality and thus releases them to act fully and freely, releases them from the incredible, binding web of "adult" pretense, practicality, and rationality.

Interpretations of Kali
Kali is the destructive aspect of the goddess. She is usually pictured as a black goddess, for time has no color. The string of arms around her waist represents the lives that are born again and again in the cycle of reincarnation or samsara. She holds a cup in which she has caught the blood of the head she has just decapitated.

But Kali's raised right hand is in the mudra "Be not afraid." She is dancing on her consort, Lord Shiva. One interpretation of this image is that after the goddess slew the buffalo demon, she got drunk on its blood and started to destroy indiscriminately and with wild abandon. (Remember, the problem is not power, but how to keep power under control.) In an effort to calm her, Shiva lay down and let her dance on him, bringing an end to her rampage.

According to tantric lore, the Goddess Kali is the highest expression of Goddess Power in this, the Kali Yuga, the "Dark Age", of egoism and materialism. Dark Kali is paradoxical to those who do not know her.well. She seems unpredictable, yet to her devotees she is always reliable. She reveals Herself to devotees through the forms of Nature and especially through women. She is the very essence of woman, sensual, pleasure-seeking, sometimes fickle, but in truth, nurturing. Like Nature, She can seem cruel, or can appear benign. She is the Dark Secret of the Universe, an initiatory power, the Ultimate Shakti. Within the body, She is the Kundalini, the "Serpent Power", the key to liberation. In the world, She is all women, all Nature.

Kali Ma, the compassionate Primordial Mother, can be timeless and formless, young and old, exquisitely beautiful and alluring, as well as awesomely ugly and repugnant. She manifests as virgin and whore, young girl and sensual mature woman, a wrathful warrior queen and an old hag. She is always compassionate to Her devotees and cruel to enemies of cosmic truth. She is the Dark Doorway to Liberation in this Kali Age.

Daksina Kali is the "Remover of the fear of death", remover of Yam Raj, and Mahadeva (the "Great God", Shiva, also known as Mahakala in his wrathful form) is Her consort. She sports on him. She is his energy, his dark muse, his Shakti. Playfully and without any reserve, she takes her pleasure while he lies intoxicated beneath her. Sometimes she stands on him or dances around him, sometimes she squats on him, inserting his erect Lingam into her Yoni, in wild sexual union. She is the active power, time transcended. He is her support, depicted white of color, pure consciousness, penetrating deep into the unknowable. The Kamakalavilasa Tantra sums up their relationship thus: "Shakti performs all the physical needs of Shiva. Bodiless Shiva, being of the nature of pure consciousness, must have Shakti for his body".

Kali is the Essence of Bliss, the Love-power. Shiva is Delight Incarnate, the root of all new creation. It is said that, "The whole universe is created by the Shakti of Shiva". In the form of white Shiva and dark Shakti, Kali is to be viewed as Atma (the self) and Shiva as Jiva (the transcendental soul). Through spiritual practice, and by identifying with this vision, self and soul become one.

More from same site (different page)

Kali's Worship and History, Kali in Other Countries
http://www.paganpaths.net/worship.html

Kali, the Primordial Mother Goddess of Hindu tantric tradition, has her origins in India's archaic matriarchal culture. Her radiant blackness protected the dark-skinned tribes who worshipped her and inspired fear and dread in their enemies. She was, originally, a warrior goddess, worshipped with blood sacrifice and offerings of flesh and liquor. She was always viewed as all-powerful, awesome, as mysterious as night, fierce, passionately sensual and demanding. Yet to her worshippers she was always the all-merciful Protectress, filled with sublime love and compassion, a Granter-of-boons. Above all, Dark Kali was and still is Kali Ma, "Kali the Mother", the Cosmic Female Power, always available for Her devotees, ready to remove their suffering, their negative Karma, their fear of time (Kala) and death, always ready to bestow bliss and liberation.

The current representation of Kali is relatively new. Sometime in the mid to late 16th century, Krsnananda Agamavagisa, a Bengali mystic (born about 1500 AD.) had a powerful experience which caused him to formalize and tell of a "new" form of Kali. According to Dr. S.C. Banerji, a noted historian of Tantra, "Krsnananda is credited with the conception, for the first time, of the Kali image current in Bengal."

It is said that Krsnananda Agamavagisa went to bathe in a river near a cremation-ground (either at Tarapith or Bakreshwar, both in West Bengal). There he happened to disturb a dark-skinned tribal girl who, believing she was alone, had stripped nude and was washing herself using a discarded skull-cap from a nearby funeral pyre. She had her long black hair untied and was engrossed in her ablutions. Embarassed by Krsnananda's sudden presence, she stuck out her tongue in shyness (a reflex action still done by village girls in India). Krsnananda, who had been trying to understand how best to comprehend the many varied forms of the Dark Goddess, and how to get a direct vision of Her, had a sudden spiritual insight. He viewed this tribal girl as a living Kali, and took the "vision" of her naked dark body, long dishevelled hair, extended tongue and skull in hand as a new and especially potent icon of the Great Goddess.

Using this insight as his meditation, he became perfected. He had images made of this "new" and potent form of Kali and worshipped them as his deeper Self. He spread this special form of Kali far and wide. In about 1580 AD. he wrote a text known as the Tantrasara, a "Compendium of Tantras", in which he gave the following description of the Dark Goddess and which forms the basis of the typical "Bengali" Kali icon:

"Possessed of complexion like the color of sapphire, blue like the sky, extremely fierce, defeating gods and demons, three- eyed, crying very loudly, decked with all ornaments, holding a human skull and a small sword, standing on the moon and sun."

Krsnananda described other forms of Kali, named Daksina Kali, Guhya Kali, Bhadra Kali, Smashana Kali and Maha Kali - meaning "Right, from the South, Kali", "Secret Kali", "Adamantine Kali", "Cremation-ground Kali" and "Great Kali", respectively. Of these, the form of Daksina Kali, also referred to as DaksinaKalika, is described by him thus:

"Dishevelled hair, garland of human heads, face with long or projecting teeth, four arms, lower left holding a human head just severed, upper left holding a sword, lower right hand posed as if giving a boon, the upper right hand posed granting freedom from fear, deep dark complexion, naked, two corpses or arrows as ornaments in the two ears, girdle of the hands of corpses, three eyes, radiant like the morning sun, standing on the chest of Mahadeva(Shiva) lying like a corpse, surrounded by jackals."

Kali in Other Cultures

Variations on the name Kali for female divinity can be found in many ancient cultures outside India, which suggests that in the distant past a common or related matriarchal religion pervaded much of the world. For example, in pre-historic Ireland people worshipped a powerful goddess known as Kele (her priestesses were known as Kelles), in ancient Finland there was the all-powerful goddess Kal-ma, in the Sinai region of the Middle East there was the goddess Kalu, and in ancient Greece an aspect of the goddess was known as Kalli. It is likely that these very similar names for the Great Goddess in different cultures was the result of the export of spiritual ideas and practices "out of India" prior to the early invasions by light-skinned Aryans (probably around 1500 BC.).

The dark goddess Kali also became known and revered in Tibet. Known there as Lhamo ("God Mother"), several different forms of Her are in the Tibetan pantheon. As the "Great sickle-wielding all-powerful Queen Mother Goddess" (dPal ldan dmag zor rgyal mo), She is the Guardian Goddess of Lhasa, the Tibetan capital and She is the Chief Protectress of the Gelugpa sect of Lamaism, of which the Dalai Lama is the supreme hierarch. She is the wrathful Protector of the Buddhist Dharma in Tibet, visualised at the base of the trunk of the "lineage tree" of several sects. She is the only feminine deity among the Buddhist Dharmapalas, the Defenders of the Law of Buddhism and one of her names, Sri Devi, tells of her Hindu origin. A two-armed form of Lhamo/Kali is described in a Tibetan text as follows:

"The goddess is of dark blue hue, has one face, two hands, and rides on a mule. With her right hand she brandishes a huge sandalwood club adorned with a thunderbolt and with her left hand she holds in front of her breast the blood-filled skull of a child. She wears a flowing garment of black silk and a loincloth made of rough material. Her ornaments are a diadem of skulls, a garland of freshly-cut heads, a girdle of snakes, and bone ornaments, and her whole body is covered with the ashes of cremated corpses. She has three eyes, bares her fangs, and the hair on her head stands on end. She carries a sack of karmic things and a pair of dice. Among her retinue are countless black birds, black dogs and black sheep."

In various Tibetan Lhamo sadhana texts her names are given as "Kali", "Maha Kali", "Dhumavati Devi","Chandika Devi","Remati" and "Shankapali Devi", all of which are found in Hindu Tantra.

Here are a few more sites..... but I'm only throwing out urls at this point...

http://www.luckymojo.com/kalidurga.html
http://www.exoticindiaart.com/article/motherkali

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

so I'm gonna get going on that story... I'll be back in a little while!

imscifi
03-22-2004, 02:17 PM
also here are a few images that I'll be refferencing...

http://www.imscifi.com/Kali/kali1.bmp

http://www.imscifi.com/Kali/kali2.bmp

http://www.imscifi.com/Kali/kali3.bmp

JamesMK
03-22-2004, 02:38 PM
Holy macaroni and cheeze! That's a mouthful and a half of serious information - good to see such detailed background research.

And - "Great sickle-wielding all-powerful Queen Mother Goddess" sure would be the ultimate title to have on a business card, wouldn't it? :D Dayum, I guess those guys are not particularly into being humble or anything.... Beat 'dat... whoa no.

CLONEOPS
03-22-2004, 03:00 PM
Definately looks like head choppin is her thing and look she collects things....she has a hobby,how nice.
Probably not someone you would see dancing at the local jiggly wiggly........or at least that's what i hear.ahem.

kali to shiva:
...hey honey want to go out choppin.....
:eek:

imscifi
03-22-2004, 03:34 PM
JamesMK: how about ... "Great AK-47 wealding all-powerful Queen Mother Goddess"... now THAT would draw my attention!

CLONEOPS : she'd be a belly dancer of some sort... very sensual... and very hypnotic... would make you stop and watch her as she killed you... you probably wouldn't even have noticed death! And i'm sure Shiva would have been all about the gettin "jiggy" with it!

so here's part of the story... if not all... I'll see what else I can throw in later...

7:23 am….

Radio station KMPL 92.3 fm, located somewhere in Wall Street section of Manhattan, NYC, USA.

Tune playing for commercial… fades out…

“Welcome back to KMPL 92.3 FM…. It’s currently 7:23 am on this… what I would call a misserable rainy day. I have to say Tom that it is really a mess out there… I haven’t seen it rain like this in a long time… So don’t forget folks make sure to take that umbrella.”

Tom- “Not like it’s gonna really help. Ha, you’d think the world was coming to an end with all that thunder and lightning. Speaking of which, there have been reports of some black-outs on the upper east side. NY Power is currently working on it though, for all of those out there in the dark. Hey Jim why don’t we take a few callers and see what’s going on out there.”

Jim – “Your on the air.”

Caller – “ Oh hey there! I’m really on the air? Oh wow this is the first time I’ve ever called. I love your show!”

Jim – “Well thanks for calling. You keeping dry? “

Caller – “Sure am! I live on campus, and my dorm is connected to the main building where my class is.”

Tom – “So what school are you attending?”

Caller – “Oh Manhattan EDU! Hi everybody! Hi Jamey! It’s me Kassey!”

Jim – “ Well Kassey, luckily for yu…..”

Silence…

Outside you can hear what sounds like a car crash and a lot of screaming….

Jim’s face pails, his jaw drops and a look of terror and shock comes over his face…Tom is looking at him completely confused…”Jim you ok dude?” Tom turns around as one of the people in the monitoring room starts to scream…

Passing the window is what looks like blackened corpses stuck to one another… forming something that might be considered to be the torso of a woman….

Tom - “HOLY ****! What the hell is THAT!”
Caller – “uh… is this a joke? This is a joke ri…”

*click*

Tom disconnects the person…

Tom – “Oh my god folks, you are not gonna believe what I am looking at… There is a what looks like a very large… what the hell is that monstrosity!... a woman? But dear god I’ve never seen… ah jesus… I ….I … oh my god… it looks like there are bodies… yes… dead bodies that look like… like they are forming the body of this… what the hell is that!… Jim, what do you think that thing is? Jim?”

Jim is in shock. He’s not moving and an aid is already trying to help him…

A crowd has gathered at the window including Tom. The window faces south upon a open area where there is a park.

Tom tries to describe what it is that he is seeing…

Moving slowly, across the park is what appears to be a approximately 150 ft tall woman with four arms… but she is no woman. It is shocking and awe-inspiring. Dead bodies are strewn across the ground from the path of this, what would be later classified as Kali, being. Most of the body looks almost black. But upon closer inspection, one can see burnt corpses of the slain human bodies, make up this large being. But what looks like hair is actually twisted I beams and light posts from the streets and buildings that have been destroyed in the path of Kali. One of the hands seems to be what would amount to a head of some terrifying looking creature… like something out of hell… but, it actually is the bodies of men and women in suits… and what looks like a priest or two. And there seems to be something being held in another hand, something burning… being held in another hand below the head… In another hand seems to be some kind of machine gun. Maybe an AK-47? But it’s made up of all sorts of metal items… guns. Weapons. Smaller weapons are making up this massive weapon that Kali is using to kill people. Her last hand seems to be doing nothing except staying in some strange stiff position, as if symbolic of something. She seems to be wearing basically nothing. Though, there is what appears to be a necklace, made up of human heads… but they are too large to be human heads. Upon closer inspection one can see that they are made up of bloody de-fleshed skulls of some of her victims. She also appears to be wearing some kind of belt made up of arms, but they look like metal which look as though they are attached to the blackened bodies at her waist.

more to come....

imscifi
03-22-2004, 05:01 PM
I'm gonna start some modeling this afternoon...

(I have removed images in respect to my audience)

and to think... we did this... man is by far more frightening than any demon or god we can conger up...

imscifi
03-22-2004, 05:05 PM
(I've removed images in respect)

just a few more... i'm looking at incorporating them as surface texturing... any suggestions?

Ok off to modeling...

harnelbe
03-22-2004, 05:17 PM
:sad:
Ouch.
The concept is very interesting.
(a friend of mine and me to create a CG of
an indian god and reschearching on the
web lot of documentation i love the style
of indian color artists)
At the begining i was very schoked by your
pictures, but the concept is to give a
message and i like that !.

CLONEOPS
03-22-2004, 05:52 PM
.barry one pic would have been enough.

This will be the dark kali.
never lost and unforgotten.
time recalls
that less spoken.

JamesMK
03-22-2004, 05:57 PM
You've got some serious guts, Barry.

Though I could slightly agree with CLONEOPS comment, I am also even more officially impressed now.

imscifi
03-22-2004, 08:30 PM
with respect to viewers comments I've taken some pictures away... I will ony use them for mapping... I will not be posting them again.

I'm sorry to offend people. I would like to statement though, on my behalf.

This is subject is in some ways... very personal. I have been surrounded by death most of my life. My father died when I was 12. I don't remember much before then. He was very very important to me. At the time, my mom and I were not close. My dad and I were. We had also just moved out to the country (I'm originally from NYC). I didn't know anyone. My parents were in a car accident, my mom came out of the accident in a bad way... I was at camp at the time. I wasn't notified until two weeks after the accident, the day they let my mom go home. I was in shock at how horrible she looked that day. She was on morphine for months after that. I understand why they didn't want me to see her before then. I was very confused and angry.

Since then, I, in many ways, have been alone. I have tried to understand death and life. Kali, to me, is that manifestation of understanding and not being afraid of it. I may not get to do all I want in life, but I do not regret anything that has happened to me... including death. I have had the chance to learn from it and not be afraid, yet to cherish life evern more so. I love my mom. I tell her every chance I get. I love my husband (who in many ways is like my father), and I tell him every moment I can how much I love him.

I pray for all things when I notice death (including animals on the side of the road, and trees that are cut down). I am not relilgeous. I am spiritual. I have respect for life and death. I in turn love life passionately and try to learn from what happens to me and others.

I sometimes forget that death is a hard subject for most. It's easier to see it on screen... it's another when you see it face to face... so many have have watched as their loved ones die in front of them, whether tragic or not. It is a hard pill to swallow. I try to respect it. Though, I must agree, I feel I went too far as well, posting more than one picture. I am sorry. I want to respect all of you as my audience. Please, forgive me. I will try to curb my actions.

my appologize

:blush:

Vedic-kings
03-22-2004, 09:41 PM
No offense from me:)

You seem to know alot about the hindu way of life, well because you know alot about Kali. I have a picture of Kali hanging on my wall btw. I'm mostly into Ayurveda (the science of life) and the eight limbs of yoga (Raja Yoga). But I know just about everything about hinduism, but where I live no one know what the hell i'm talking about, so I have been silent about my views, like karma, puja, the three bodies, the seven chakras, the god and goddesses, the rig-vedas, prana, kundalini yoga, mantras, the bhagavad gita, tantra, meditation etc.

I'm really looking forward to your model!

imscifi
03-22-2004, 10:12 PM
so here is my first model in progress. I'm happy so far with the model. It has taken me about 4hrs... (for those in the speed modeling forums... guess I'm better at in-animate objects for speed modeling! ;) )...

http://www.imscifi.com/Kali/kali-weight-shade-03222004.jpg

oh and it's 380 poly's so far... is that good? I think it might be... but I'm no expert so I'm kinda wondering? I'm interested in learning how to keep my polys down to some degree.

Vedic kings: very cool! Thank you for your compliment, I am honored. I only know from what I read and understand through lifes lessons... I do not follow or truely study any particular faith... I just live life... I do believe though, that all things are true and false. It just depends on how we see things. I'm sorry you cannot express yourself spiritually. I can understand that. I was ridiculed throughout my high school days for being different. I wore what I wanted, spoke what I wanted, and did not believe that I had to "fit in". I went through many depressing times in my life, and expect to do so till I die. I am still looked upon as a "freak" of nature... which I don't mind... I am who I am, and I'm happy with that! :D

JamesMK... thanks for not thinking of me poorly... you are a true freak at heart! :thumbsup:

JamesMK
03-22-2004, 10:20 PM
That looks like a clean mesh to me at least (though I'm not the resident expert topologician in da house of course) - The only "flaw" I can see at a glance is that pole in the middle beneath the breasts: you've got eight edges converging to a single point, which may (or may not) give you a shading problem.... A secondary result (or perhaps the cause) is the rather large amount of tris which you might want to get rid of. On the other hand, you probably won't animate her, so it might not be a problem at all in the end.

Clean stuff - and nope, I would definitely not think of you poorly. I could consider popping over to Philly for a cup of coffee though and explain everything :)

CLONEOPS
03-23-2004, 05:27 AM
IMSCI: thanks for posting the mesh and a sidebar to your
pic post, i meant that we are all aware of these conditions,
historically ,at least those of us not wired 24/7 up to the comedy channel, and we Are making headway as a species
surely and slowly.
It seems to me after more reading that kali is embodied
as yes, a feminine vehicle of destruction but her true power lies not in her actual use of such power but weilds greater power in depicting the cause and effect of the conequences of the acts she so visually burdens herself with.
If this is your goal, then in this i think you will succeed.
My take on it anyway.

Powerful images - i always think of the guys who was there who took those pictures, the peoplethat were there to help make those in suffering more comforable and those many,many people who have given lives to not make it happen again.
Vedic kings: hey! we got deep mediation its called the home shopping network.......we just call it zone-out.

jiggly wiggly=strip joint

:)

imscifi
03-24-2004, 02:30 PM
pic post :)

CLONEOPS : are you being sarcastic or serious? I don't know all the rules of online posts... I know sometimes people do things that are not deemed as inappropriate... so if it's not apropriate , I'd love to know... and I can update it. I just did a screen shot.

as for the embodiment of Kali... yes, I do understand, and I am trying to use specific elements that make up parts of her to be symbolic... the arms around her waist is the one thing I'm having trouble with. I don't know what they should be made up of. It is symbolic of the enlighted ones who are free from the cycle of karma, at leaste to me. ;)

as for the images, I never really thought about the photographers. Interesting.

JamesMK : updated the tip of the cone... it now has 4 polys at the point. I have some other issues I'm trying to deal with as well, I'll post a picture later... I'm currently working on a site today and don't have time right now. Maybee you could help me figuring out what do do with it. :thumbsup:

Pyke
03-24-2004, 02:52 PM
Hey hey hey B.

I like you idea. Ive always wanted to 'update' a god into modern day times-although i was thinking more along the lines of a sandle wearing surfing Herme's. :)

Nice clean modeling so far as well, keep it up!

As for the images that where there, and have now been taken down, there was an incident in South Africa last year (I wont go into the details), where a series of horrific crimes were being commited around the country (and to a large extent still are). These were crimes of the most unbelievable barbaric nature-that made grown men cry. The medical community 'dared' The Star newspaper to publish images of the medical examination of one of the victims-but instead, the Star published a blank front page-which had more impact than you can imagine.

Now im not certain that this applys to your imagery (as they were taken down before I could see them), but basically what im trying to say is 'less is more'. :)

Nice stuff-nice imagery, and I can see that you put a great deal of research into your work! I look forward to seeing this progress!!!

-C-

JamesMK
03-24-2004, 03:13 PM
You know I'll help out if I can!

Too bad you have to do web work today though - there's an old saying appropriate to this very moment, and it goes like "you and me both" :cry:

ExanJU
03-24-2004, 03:41 PM
:eek: Sorry nothing else I could say... The idea, the background, the story all of them are just superb...

Just one thing... that bothers me how in the world are you planing to make Kali her self.. It would be good to see her actually exactely as you described in thirst part :rolleyes: But I think it would be a killa for you pc... Still gonna wach this thread to find out more about the story and character her self

Cheers and the best of luck!!!

ExanJU

splotch
03-24-2004, 04:08 PM
ummmm ... nice work I love the sketch and the model so far ...
I suggest that you got to make a female bunny dancing with the character ,,, this will be looking good complement for the killer rabbit.

good luck ,, keep it up

CLONEOPS
03-24-2004, 05:39 PM
Imscifi:
No- and no again, not sarcastic.....
Do you mean am i mocking the mesh? or figure? no again.
Whats inappropriate.here, nothing i can see.
okay.good.
My typing is bad sometimes-low blood sugar thingy=brainlock.
I think more screen shots are great, should be way more from everybody.
I do not model your method as yet , poly+ box model stuff. and hell i am learning some things here.
i know its important for textureing stuff paint-wise and things, but so far i have always managed to avoid it
Pretty soon i think am going to have to ride that horse...

- What is this "pole"on model someone wrote about?

"Star published a blank front page"......POWER of kali. cool.

Gotta get that sarcastic devilsh icon at cgnet fast though!!!
:surprised :beer:
heavy re-edit. ......ack......

MikaelPersson
03-24-2004, 10:42 PM
I am intrigued. Sounds like an awesome concept. Interesting with people who start in the end of symbolism and not throwing it on afterwards.
I am looking forward to more.

EmpY
03-25-2004, 02:38 AM
imscifi, updates?

imscifi
03-25-2004, 04:40 PM
EmpY: sure just wip me into submission! jeesh!... I'm hurrying! :p

So here's an "update"... not much... taking me a little while. It's my first body... so I'm kinda feeling my way through.... anyone know where I can find some good photos of the female anatomy? I need to start reffencing. Tried google, but way too much non-information came up.

CLONEOPS: eh, apparently I'm not that good at communicating over the net either... you had mentioned me posting the "sidebar"... I didn't know if this is something that people shouldn't post with their images. I'm gonna start cropping and posting "pretty compositions" anyways. Make it look "proffesional". And thanks for the compliments!:D

splotch : I could model JamesMK's bunny... she is wearing a dress! or I could put bunny ears on Kali. Cute little bunny ears ... and a tail!

Pyke: very very potent statement for them to make... and yes I do agree, less is more.

ExanJU : I'm gonna try and do my best! I would like to make it as realistic as possible... I'm hoping that my surfacing textures will help. Cross those fingers!

Mikael P. : Thanks!

JamesMK : ha... hope those sites are coming along! And I so know you would help me.... can ya break into their system during voting time and change the number of votes in my favor?!!!

thanks guys... I'll post more soon... promise!

http://www.imscifi.com/Kali/kali-weight-shade-03-25-200.jpg

JamesMK
03-25-2004, 05:17 PM
Still making a clean progress I see! Not much to crit really... the lowpoly looks a little bit funny around the area where I would expect the belly-button to show up, slightly wonky flow.... Minor tweak at this point.... You'd have to post some shaded render soon so we can find some stuff to yell about :D

Very perky hooters! If you don't mind me pointing that out so bluntly (ROFL) - actually a perfect match to your sketch which I find an impressive achievement... I really suck at matching my own concepts... :)

And for future reference, bunny ears are now a registred trademark and I'm the only one allowed to use them. Aaaand I'm not very good at hacking remote databases.... Having said that, looking forward to your next move. En garde, mon ami!

Solomon
03-25-2004, 06:46 PM
good progress on the model

I am wondering how original your concept sketch is - considering you are using an art piece that has already been made by someone.

imscifi
03-25-2004, 07:48 PM
I am wondering how original your concept sketch is - considering you are using an art piece that has already been made by someone.

Solomon : Well that's a good point... I'll go back to it and work on the details of the image... flush it out... I don't think I've ever seen a Kali made up of dead bodies, guns, metal items, and trees before! Especially in when she's in the Wall Street district!
;)

Thanks JamesMK... getting there! :D

EmpY
03-25-2004, 07:59 PM
sweet lookin' first body!!!
plenty of time so take ir easy.

imscifi
03-25-2004, 10:45 PM
here's another update...

http://www.imscifi.com/Kali/kali-modeling-03225004.jpg.jpg

sweet lookin' first body!!!

EmpY : thanks, I get to acredit it to years and years of art school and drawing class! :D

guess right now I've got to do the head next... *joy* I did this before, my "self portrait"... learned a lot from it... hopefully I can do it again... but a little bit faster... *crossing fingers*

the following is just a checklist for myself so I can refference it later...

checklist to do (modeling):

head
demon head
simple male and female bodies that are being dragged up into Kali
GUN... AK47... made up of smaller guns and other weapons
modify tree hand
make smaller heads and arms (necklace and belt)
make cars
make city scape

make bunny ears and tail.... :thumbsup:

jfelrod1960
03-25-2004, 10:59 PM
That's quite a challenge B! Can't wait to see how it progresses. :applause:

CLONEOPS
03-25-2004, 11:31 PM
my blah blah blah:
pic post.

an round an round i go
ya makin me dizzy
i thought side bar meant ,like.......
and as a side comment /in addition to/i would like to ammend... uh thats what i meant.
etc blah diddy blah.

so we gold.i no banned. ??

alrighty then.....
i kinda like the ever so slightly plump almost exaggerated
physique of those stylised hindu ladies with all that tatoo stuff they wear.... sort of Rubinesque?
It gives an impression of power somehow, and vitality.
Your concept sketch kind of leans that way,and really captured that right off really well.

i imagine her just gleaming with aromatic oils weaving to some exotic clashing music on a dark hot desert night ,
while sweat beads down her.....
okay I'm back ,where was i .....o yah
big feet.not good.look like killer chicken.

arms and the joining with torso/shoulder looks ex -el -ant.

TheFirstAngel
03-25-2004, 11:33 PM
Ah, *Sigh* beautifull. I am 2 days away and your thread explodes, but well, I'm up to date! Your way to express yourself makes me very happy, cuz I still think, true, good art is when we give our soul into a creation. And the way to your actual point in progess simply is impressive.
Well, your Idea is outstanding and for a moment, all sarcsm is wrong in place. I love what you do and also the way you do it!!!
Elisabeth Kübler-Ross once said: Whatever happend to you was required for you to become who you are. In this case, life leaded you to a creation outstanding in every way.
Barry, Barry!!! Wow! Yesss you rock bombastic, Keep it up Gurl, rock em all!!! :love: http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0304/spezial/Fool/leb.gif :buttrock:
Dance, Barry, Dance!!!!!

MikaelPersson
03-26-2004, 12:08 AM
Progressing nicely. I would say that a few parts of that body needs a bit of attention, Cloneops said it in his own way (lol). Those feet, way to big. The hands too, just a tiny bit though. I am a bit unsure about her lowerl egs they look a bit to curvy. Maybe give her more pronounced knees and you can keep those curves or? Then you have those hard lines under her breasts which looks wrong, you need to soften them. I would say her groin area needs a bit more attention too. A bit to flat right now.

ok. that is enough of critique, very nice work otherwise, you created a four armed creature who doesn't look that strange. Quite often you see such beings and the second pair of arms just look so wierdly attached. But you managed to fit them there in a convincing way.

JamesMK
03-26-2004, 12:09 AM
Here I am all impressed and stuff again. You really managed to fit that extra pair of arm while still maintaining what appears to me a clean and smooth mesh.

In short; it's really groooooovy *a.woof!*

Things to look at: the butt (no, there is no pattern to my line of thinking here) is a little bit to 'weightless' IMHO... I feel it should go down ever so slightly... Might be a matter of nitpicking or something else, I dunno, but (no pun intended) for some reason that stands out (no pun intended) to me.... [waaahaa!]

The other thing: I would like a defined sense of clavicle bone on her. That's a detail that usually adds o lot to the realism, in my ever so humble opinion.

And one more if you don't mind: there is a rather sharp edge where you have defined the last rib, the upside-down 'V' if you like on her chest. It's great to have that definition, but you could soften it slightly.

That aside, I'm eagerly awaiting the oiled-in version suggested by our dear chum CLONEOPS, a.k.a. Confucius, and just keep going, 'cuz you're doing great! :wip:

imscifi
03-26-2004, 02:09 AM
You guys rock! Thank you so much for the crits! It's what helps me move on! I agree the feet seem big... actually the shin is too long as well... and her ankles at one angle look like they could break! :rolleyes: Course after stairing at a monitor all day... I couldn't see various stuff... I'm gonna try and attack all that stuff tomorrow or this weekend.

As for the "V" I'll smooth that out a bit... I've got a question about a few spots on her body... I have places where 5 polys come together... they are causing me problems... is there anyway to smooth that out? I've tried figuring out ways of combining some, and have even done it to a few places... but alas a few of the places I can't seem to figure out... I'll post some images tomorrow of the trouble spots... hopefully someone will have an idea of what could be done to fix the problem...

oh and yes, JamesMK, I'll lower her butt some... though, it's supposed to be musclular (indian dancers are actually in amazing shape, most dancers are!:drool: )... I plan on making her more voluptiuous. So her butt can hang better... just for you! oh and make some bunny ears too... only for you... :)

rattlesnake
03-26-2004, 02:14 AM
Hey, nice modelling, is inviting to get some hugs, and even more when u get done with the voluptiuous thing:drool: :bounce:

der_kunstler
03-26-2004, 03:16 AM
You're good in the details....... like the body and the concept :)

harnelbe
03-26-2004, 11:05 AM
hey hey hey !!!
What an update !!!
Interesting body.
But looking at the back of the body i noticed that you have not modelized double homoplates. Perhpas you should
accordate the skeleton of the body with the add of arms .
I stay tuned.

BloodTaster
03-26-2004, 12:31 PM
Hey, good job!!!

I can´t wait to see more!

rattlesnake
03-26-2004, 12:36 PM
more!, more!. more!, just kidding, take your time youre doing a great work:bowdown:

splotch
03-26-2004, 03:20 PM
nice going the model is more than perfict
i ove it ...

wish you the best
good luck

imscifi
03-26-2004, 05:58 PM
ok... I promised you all some close ups of some problem areas... And the1st_angel, thanks for the pointers, definitely helped me see how to look at it!:thumbsup:

Thanks for the thumbs up guys and gals!

did some modifications already and fixed a few problem areas. Also worked on the feet, hands, rump, clavical... etc... you'll see the changes.. :D

I also promised myself that I would do some yard work today in the gorgeous weather! If I didn't get out and live... it would be an insult to the idea behind this concept! So with that said... Here's the stuff... and I'll see ya all tomorrow! Have a great day!

http://www.imscifi.com/Kali/back_weightshade_closeup.jpg

http://www.imscifi.com/Kali/hand_weightshade_closeup.jpg

imscifi
03-26-2004, 05:58 PM
http://www.imscifi.com/Kali/kali-modeling-03226004.jpg

Ravendsg
03-26-2004, 06:03 PM
Yours is among the coolest in my opinion!! I like these type of mythical stuffs man, and combining mythical with machines... can't wait to see wat the end result is :applause:

jfelrod1960
03-26-2004, 07:06 PM
She's kinda sexy imscifi!!! Too bad she's such a terror. :)

Okay now for something constructive. I think you are doing a great job. What do you think about the area around her knees? I don't know maybe that's being too picky. I'm not a 3D modeler so you may have to take what I said with a grain of salt. :)

Anyway I like what you are doing. I think you've found another fan! :thumbsup:

Shadow Seraph
03-26-2004, 07:25 PM
definitely a deep post... i really like the meaning and symbolism behind it all... i'll have to keep watching to see what evolves as i see some great "human" modeling and i want to see how the machine molds in.... well done indeed.
:wavey:

Dreamwave
03-26-2004, 07:34 PM
maybe she needs four breasts too?
normally the breasts are at the same height as the arms, and now they are in between the two pairs of arms...I think she needs four!!

(pervert! :drool: )

centavrus
03-26-2004, 09:09 PM
I like the idea - you are very brave and resolute! The combination of the Goddess with by the mechanism should look excellently taking into account your good modeling( i hope you are good in texturing and other stuff too), I wish good luck !

***D!D***
03-26-2004, 09:45 PM
GOOD IDEA IMSCIFI:thumbsup:

I want to see more :buttrock:

(Good...a lightwaver) :bounce:

CLONEOPS
03-27-2004, 07:18 AM
the golden rule.

blueglitchman
03-27-2004, 08:05 PM
very beautiful work so far! well done. updates?

TheFirstAngel
03-27-2004, 09:39 PM
normally the breasts are at the same height as the arms, ...oooh, get a gf. prolly if she almost lies on her back, depends on where you looking from. a reason for 4 breasts...?

Made a small List 4 u Barry. In regard this is WIP, you may have already worked this out. My English sux royally if it comes to "anatomical names". I hope you can make any sense out of this.

Between the shoulders: The angle of the bones (from inside to outside) has to raise a bit, if you lift your arms, the 2 bones follow this move. They are separated in the middle.

Backhands look a bit flat yet

The Musclegroup on the side of her torso seems to be a bit too short in profileview. And the Bellypart is a bit too wide.

Ass: I think the "valey" starts too early, i think it has to be a bit lower, (end of spine)

knees: a tiny bit too thin. But results great curves. So a matter of taste. I like em.

Feet: Still a bit too large. But very beautifull and great shaped.

All over Impression: Fantastic
Keep on Rockin' Barry, Great work here in Progress
:beer: :wip: :buttrock:

jdsb
03-28-2004, 05:07 AM
hey interesting concept,i have been a worshipper of kali :) .may be goddess be with you ;) .good luck.:thumbsup:
be careful with the comments/feedback on the goddess,she can be very short tempered :p

TheFirstAngel
03-28-2004, 06:34 PM
Update update!!!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: ulalala, come on Barry, on with the show!

JamesMK
03-28-2004, 06:51 PM
Yeah, what he said ^ above :D

imscifi
03-29-2004, 05:44 PM
Hey all... ok first off apologize for not having any pics of updates... I did adjust her rear and her knees.

Right now though, I'm kinda buisy... Just found out I need to get a lot of yard work done over the next two weeks... I will be doing more modeling but not as often as I'd like...:sad:

However, I will be getting really really nice back and side yard updates! Heck I'll let all of you know how it's going... I'll take pics and post them to my site somewhere for all of you! :thumbsup:

I'll be trying to get work done during the evenings on Kali. I just have to slow down a little while I juggle stuff.... Sorry for any dissapointments... I promise to give an update within the next two days.

will post soon!

JamesMK
03-29-2004, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by imscifi
However, I will be getting really really nice back and side yard updates! Heck I'll let all of you know how it's going... I'll take pics and post them to my site somewhere for all of you!
Awwww, uuuuuh... sheesh... K, at least give us some good 'before' pics too then so we know what the deal is. And remember, NO PREMADE plants are allowed, you have to make them all from scratch.

TheFirstAngel
03-29-2004, 07:28 PM
looking forward to some big juicy sweet "cawwots" to please the wabbit ...hehe

BloodTaster
04-01-2004, 05:29 AM
more nice every day!!!
great work!

Ducklips
04-02-2004, 09:56 PM
Gret work modelling, I really like your sketching too! I would like to see more. It is good to see someone put so much thought and interaction into the contest.

Keep up the good work, you're doing a good job!

rattlesnake
04-03-2004, 10:28 AM
Update!!:bounce: Update!!:bounce:

imscifi
04-03-2004, 04:34 PM
ok... so my back is killing me. all I can say, is that this past week sucked! I got more than I bargained for.

Unfortunately, it is only until this morning that I have been able to make anything new... I'm "JUST" starting on her head. Here's her eye section so far... have a ways to go... hoping to start full throttle on monday! I know it's not much... but I'm trying! :shrug:

http://www.imscifi.com/Kali/kali-modeling-04032004.jpg

JamesMK
04-03-2004, 04:53 PM
Well, a small update, but a very cleanly executed one :thumbsup:

And stay away from the great outdoors from now on - the back pain is just the beginning.... The real world is a dangerous place :D

imscifi
04-05-2004, 10:20 PM
ok... so I got most of her head done... though, I still have to do the ears. I'm not going to worry about the rest of the head (the back and sides where the hair is... only cause that is going to be modeled (I beams and street lights, etc...) I'm still not sure how to handle that one yet. I'm trying to figure out if I want to do just modeling or just image mapping, or a combination of both... (the last one is probably what I'll end up going with)

That's probably what I'll be working on next, after the ears are done... my leaste favorite part to model. *sigh*

Here's her head so far...

sorry for getting back so late
:blush:
http://www.imscifi.com/Kali/kali-modeling-04052004.jpg.jpg

JamesMK
04-05-2004, 10:32 PM
Still very nice and clean modeling coming from you!

If one were to pick nits, there's an outer loop missing around the mouth (it should pass through the outmost points of the upper part of the nose wings... but then the render looks good anyway, so...)

As a matter of taste, I'd like the low edge of the lower lip a bit more rounded, as it looks a bit to straight now, but as I said, it's just a personal preference kind of thing.

Jolly good show. :thumbsup:

Oh, ears... nasty buggers, aren't they? Modeling them that is, anyway.

splotch
04-05-2004, 10:50 PM
nice job as always ,,
i love the model its really professional work
good luck i will be waiting for more

rattlesnake
04-05-2004, 10:56 PM
i agree with James about lips, and i think your modeling on the eyes (all of them) is really nice, maybe the nose have a little strange ending at the tip, maybe more rounded also, as Jamas said is just a personal taste matter, not really important, your model is getting great youre doing it nicely, ill stay tuned for more action, oohh, goo luck on the ears:thumbsup:

Designer2
04-05-2004, 10:58 PM
needs only some more faces around the eyes and mouth to add more details.(suggestion)
keep up, this is going to be amazing. :applause:

jfelrod1960
04-05-2004, 11:19 PM
Great work! I'm dying to see more, especially how you going to incorporate the metal part of your design. :applause: :thumbsup:

TheFirstAngel
04-07-2004, 02:25 AM
Fantastic progress Barry, you should get yourself a few leprechauns for house and gardenworks and concentrate more on your talents... hehe, preferly some with great massage skills as well ;)

Oh yeah, ears. pain. always... hahaha, best don't worry bout em and start form the outside and workyourself trough till u end up in the deepest depths of the auditory canal... thats where you goin to meet a lil fairy that tells you you sure been there, done that...

Keep on rockin' your progress is a pleasure to see!!! :buttrock: :beer: :thumbsup:

harnelbe
04-08-2004, 12:49 AM
:bounce:
Whoww updates !
Very Clean modeling,
just a remark, it seems that the face is
large no ? I think the jaw is too much large for the woman.
Keep it up !

raiyan
04-08-2004, 10:05 PM
first I got to say that's one clean model.... :buttrock:
now that I got that out of the way :p , I got one thing that you may want to revise on the face model. I was under the impression that the chakra eye (the eye on the forehead) should be vertically aligned. Or in other word, you should rotate that eye socket by 90 degrees.
It's just that I've seen some character, from contemporary manga to ancient ones, that have the 90 degrees tilted chakra eyes. So upon looking at your model, I felt something is a bit odd before I realized it's probably the eye.
The other thing: the kali posture. Kali have slender, tight character. While plump character (a modest word of 'fat' hehehe) , used to represent the goddess of fertility, mother earth, prosperity, etc. So it might introduce some 'confusion' between the concept of kali as the destroyer of world and the 'fertility' concept.
But hey, it's only about individual taste. What do you think ?
But I know that you gonna make one great model , that's for sure :thumbsup:

EmpY
04-14-2004, 07:48 PM
come on SiFiyouare!!!

Kali Kali Kali Kali Kali Kali

(those were the echoes of the masses)

JamesMK
04-18-2004, 04:30 PM
And now, a short message from the international and internal CGChallenge radio channel::..

[to the music of 'Banana Boat Song']

BAAARR-Y, BA-A-A-A-RYY!
Daylight's gone and we wanna go home
BAAAARR-Y, BA-A-A-A-RYY!
Kali's not done, you should be movin' some verts

BA! ZippeBA, zippeBA, zibbiDO.....

*ahem* and so on...

All together now:

CLONEOPS
04-19-2004, 09:47 AM
-ALONG WITH A LITTLE CGNET MEMBER GROUP GAH OMNI CHANT-
....EVERYBODY...1...2...3
GAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHM!
GAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHM!
GAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHM!
BARRY COME HOME.

mmmmh...maybe the violets got here.
-captive in the plant kingdom..slave to the creeping vine king
and forever beholden to worship the false gods of PeSTICIDE. and FeRTILIZER.

free her we must...this sounds like a job for the A-team.
-hit another tune james......perhaps the muse music will tame this timid blue beast.

....................................bic..................................................

JamesMK
04-19-2004, 10:47 AM
Hmm... OK.... *clears throat*

[to the music of 'Rawhide']

Barry, Barry, Barryyyyy!
Barry, Barry, Barryyyyy!
Come BAaaaaaaaaaaack!

*uh* a bit on the short side, but rather snappy if you ask me...

imscifi
04-19-2004, 03:03 PM
oh.... my god.

*pause*
*contemplating next move*

uh.. yes, working on Kali today. Putting up pics later today...

by the way guys... don't quit those day jobs...:thumbsup:

tee hee!

JamesMK
04-19-2004, 03:16 PM
Day job? What day job? :D I'm a full time singer for a mexican band doing really bad jingles for a particular brand of salsa sauce. But it's a night job. Aye.

Hey, CLONEOPS, the singing actually worked, dude! :D

... ah... wait a minute... perhaps not.

EmpY
04-19-2004, 03:17 PM
:hmm: what jobs?:scream:

nice avatar btw

BRING IT ON :buttrock:

imscifi
04-19-2004, 04:47 PM
EmpY: why thank you, I like it too. :thumbsup:

(though, I know of one or two people who'd rather see the previous black and white image! :P)

JamesMK... what your now working out? Not getting dolling up in dresses anymore?

ok... anyhoo... quick update on images... making the "hair from hell".... :D

http://www.imscifi.com/Kali/kali-hair-4192004.jpg.jpg

also been playing with the demon head... will get that out soon too!

jfelrod1960
04-19-2004, 04:48 PM
Hey B!

Forgive me for being dumb but could you explain the hair?

Jeff

imscifi
04-19-2004, 05:06 PM
jfelrod1960 : Not a problem at all... just going with my idea. Somewhere on the first page...

[QUOTE]Originally posted by imscifi
... Her hair is made of twisted I beams and other metal items, such as stop lights, cables, and other long metalic and rubber type items.
[QUOTE]

so, there are street lights, I beams, and stop lights... they all mesh and tangle together to make her hair... no real symbolism in this part of her, I have read though that her hair is untamed and wild looking...

and I'm still trying to figure out what to make the arms that she wears around her waist out of... *sigh*

:D

oh the top picture is a close up of her hair... just to show you what it looks like up close...

It'll look better when I start texturing and coloring... etc...

JamesMK
04-19-2004, 06:13 PM
Interesting update! You are sticking with the initial plan... Kudos! ....lots of work, but it has indeed begun... aye.

Time for a song actually:

I like traffic lights
I like traffic lights
I like traffic lights
but only when they're green

Previous black and white? Have no idea what you might be talking about........... And wabbit has stopped crossdressing.... time to reveal the gang colors....

imscifi
04-19-2004, 07:13 PM
gang colors? what crayola decided to separate it's crayons or something?... all the yellows and greens hang in the upper part of the box while all the blue and purples hang in the lower part of the box... while the rest sit in the middle wondering what all the fuss is about?... :p

Wanna ride bikes?

(LOL) ... sorry, personal joke there...

so here's another post of another object I'm working on today... the ....

Demon Head.... (bwah bwah bwah bwaaaaahhhhhhhhhh... doom doom doom doom doom dooomm doooooommmmm)...(sorry in a silly mood today everyone... i'm happy to be working on modeling again. :D )

anyhoo... here his is everyone... your one and only demon! *applause goes here*

http://www.imscifi.com/Kali/kali-demon-4192004.jpg

jfelrod1960
04-19-2004, 07:41 PM
I can't wait to see all these model objects put together. :thumbsup:

Do you have a color concept sketch you're working from?

:)

JamesMK
04-19-2004, 07:50 PM
Demon looking good. Though (here as well) I wouldn't mind a more rounded lower lip... quite linear right now, and with him doing that particular face, it definitely should curve more.... sort of... but then again, nobody ever listens to my suggestions :D

Crayola... yeah... I tried to get accepted into an MC gang called "Bad Hamsters" the other day, but they wouldn't have me - - so, I'm still with the "Cutesy La-la Bunny Desperados" for the time being....

Vedic-kings
04-19-2004, 08:40 PM
Hey,

You were asking what to do about the skirt of arms. What I would do is make them robot arms. Because the skirt of arms represents the power over all origins of action, Instead would be power over all machines.

Just a thought,

Keep up the good work, I like the hair idea :thumbsup:

TheFirstAngel
04-19-2004, 09:40 PM
a more rounded lower lip... quite linear right now, and with him doing that particular face, it definitely should curve more....nobody ever listens to my suggestions bwahahaha, fight the powew, Fight the powew....
Ok, wabbit made a good point. You modeled such a lovely and soft curved body, wich makes me expect a smover softer proportioned head to it.
But I like the demon Demons very much, the only critique id' give was the lower jaw, the mandible (?) make it a bit more accented, to give the face a slight bit more mass there. Keep on Rockin' Barry!!!! Shine on from your inside... (how did you get like this on your scanner?!?)
:scream: :beer: :buttrock:

blueglitchman
04-19-2004, 11:25 PM
looks good keep it up :thumbsup:

Ravendsg
04-20-2004, 12:07 AM
Great face there, kali should be quite fearsome after you're done with her! :buttrock:

harnelbe
04-22-2004, 11:32 PM
whaooow imscifi a long time i didn't came there ! Great Demon you have done ! Perhaps he should more wrinkle the eyebrows. I like the design of the eyes!

Tremoside
04-28-2004, 03:58 PM
hi,

this face's strong yoke-bone offer a great result on the face.
lovely work....and fearsome, yeah:buttrock:

KEEP IT AAAAARGGGGGHHPPPP!

imscifi
04-28-2004, 04:02 PM
Hey everybody! just to let everyone know... I've been having a hard time connecting to the server... today is the first day since last thursday that I have even been able to see the site. I don't know what's up. Anyways... working on some flash sites right now... so dont' have too much time to kick out some 3d.. though, I'm trying! Anyhoo, hopefully within the week I'll post some updates! Thanks again for the support!

toodles!

JamesMK
05-20-2004, 02:12 PM
Hmm.... time to boot up your Lightwave and get busy now!
The clock is ticking..... :eek: ...

blueglitchman
05-21-2004, 02:11 AM
i fully agree with JamesMK:D

imscifi
06-03-2004, 12:26 AM
Hey, sorry... my life has been quite hecktic over the last month or month and a half... so I have to kick my ass in gear and start going full throttle on Kali... Today was the no turning back point... I made my marker... so here's the updates that got deleted... along with a few new ones... (the scariest part I think is over... her skin...)

I won't be doing serious renders till later... right now I'm just trying to get the basic "geometry" down...
http://www.imscifi.com/Kali/kali10.0622004.jpg

http://www.imscifi.com/Kali/kali11.0622004.jpg

so the head and arms are only being shown with the current texture because it was a bit confusing before... they are not done...

if anyone has any ideas let me know... I also like another texture... but it seemed a bit rubbery...
http://www.imscifi.com/Kali/kali4.0622004.jpg

anyhoo... there's my mock up of her skin... I'll be posting later tonight...

toodles!

Virtuoso
06-03-2004, 01:06 AM
Now that's very nice to hear.................I applaud your effort in wanting to come back and give your work the finishing touch it deserves.....................That says alot,and with that attitude you will always be successful...........Nice to see you back,and I look forward to seeing you finish up the way you have envisioned seeing your work completed..................:cool: :beer:

imscifi
06-03-2004, 02:54 AM
ok.. though you can see them in the last post... here are some more images that were posted previously that had been deleted... freakin hackers...

jeesh!

http://www.imscifi.com/Kali/kali_w_heads_05112004.jpg

http://www.imscifi.com/Kali/kali05112004.jpg

http://www.imscifi.com/Kali/kaliwheads.jpg

more to come!

and Virtuoso: thanks, even though YOUR model Kicks ASS! Jeesh!Give a girl a break will ya! So far you have one of my top votes!

:rolleyes:

jeesh!

:D

blueglitchman
06-03-2004, 07:39 AM
looking awesome :thumbsup: keep it up

Lemog
06-03-2004, 02:18 PM
Yeah... keep it up :bounce:

We want to see more... update and surely, the final picture in few days... maybe remain some work on her... but nothing is impossible... Go imscifi :wavey:

imscifi
06-03-2004, 05:33 PM
ok so far this is what I've decided to go with for her basic skin... I'm currently working on each individual arm right now... Also, trying to play around with the arms and heads for texturing... any sharing of ideas on that would be great! *hint hint* :D

I'll post some more stuff for each arm as it comes along.

thanks for the support as well!

:wip:

http://www.imscifi.com/Kali/kali2.06032004.jpg
http://www.imscifi.com/Kali/kali3.06032004.jpg

color map for skin (oh and YAY for medical books!)
http://www.imscifi.com/Kali/flesh23.73Color.jpg

toodles!

blueglitchman
06-03-2004, 08:00 PM
it loooks good. her skin would look awesome with a glowing ember kind of texture IMO ;)

EmpY
06-04-2004, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by blueglitchman
it loooks good. her skin would look awesome with a glowing ember kind of texture IMO ;)

pretty close what I was thinking when I saw it.

And hey!!!, you are back to finish this! Great news!!!

imscifi
06-04-2004, 03:44 PM
hmmm glowing embers... I could throw that together... just gotta add a gradient to the texture displacement... (did that just come out of my mouth?)... ack!

so here's another update for the gun... though, keep in mind... her hand and the gun will be melded together... right now, like I said earlier... just trying to get the foundation done.. will go in with detail later...

Thanks for the support guys...

won't be able to work on this till Monday or Sunday night... but I am putting in all next week and the following until the due date... so crossing my fingers! :D

anyhoo, here are the pics...
http://www.imscifi.com/Kali/kaliguninhand1.jpg
http://www.imscifi.com/Kali/kaliguninhand2.jpg

OZ
06-04-2004, 04:47 PM
Well....the model is great!ut damn!the materials hide it!!!!...ummh...is a soft model......maybe needs soft materials......something just like SIL the character of the movie "species"

imscifi
06-07-2004, 03:19 PM
ok...

So this is a bit of an explanation as to why I am pulling out of the competition.

I've been unemployed for over a year... I've been trying to learn and get myself into the 3d modeling world and flash world...

Reality states that this will NOT happen here in Philadelphia, PA, USA. Reality states that I can work in this feild only if I tellecomute. I am currently trying to finish a 3D model of a space station for someone... I hope that might pull me more into the possibility of the gaming world... but I'm not even bothering on crossing my fingers for that project. I just plan on doing my best work for this person... so they have a kick ass game. :)

I need to focus on things that will bring me work... like the space station... and unfortunately, this contest will NOT bring me work... and my time is becoming more and more precious to me. I think Kali would understand. I hope you guys and gals do as well.

I'm actually going to go back more into the fine arts feild if possible. I went to school for fine arts... and irronicly, I've recently found I could make a decent living doing it. More than the 3D modeling could give me here. So, I'm probably going to be stopping modeling all together, with the exception of the rare occation of doing it for the fun of it. I'm going to miss this place... I'll be around for another month or so, but after that, I probably won't see most of you again. I'm glad I've had a chance to see the awesome work out there. I hope that all of you are succesfull in this feild! You all rock! :D

Anyways, I'm sorry. I wish all of you the best of luck in winning! Have an awesome one!

JamesMK
06-07-2004, 08:06 PM
This is very sad news... but then again, there's more stuff out there than just 3D I guess... just see where you might end up - hopefully someplace where your drawing skills come in handy :thumbsup:

In fact, 3D is already a thing of the past.... The next big thing is going to be 4D - luckily, I'm already on it :D

*trying to imagine life without CGTalk* :scream:

Off to fine arts it is then, Mrs Fancypants!

blueglitchman
06-07-2004, 08:26 PM
That must've been a hard decision. I wish you the best of luck and hope you can stop by at CG talk and say hi in the near future.
I enjoyed your work and i am glad you liked mine. good luck again. see ya

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.