PDA

View Full Version : Machineflesh 3D Challenge Entry: Steve Green

Steve Green
03-17-2004, 11:06 AM
Steve Green has entered the Machineflesh 3D Challenge.

Steve Green
03-17-2004, 06:07 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1752/1752_1079546860_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1752/1752_1079546860_large.jpg)

Just doodles to start with - rather than going with the full-on monster look, I'm considering implants on farmyard animals. (oo-er)

I thought maybe oxen with plough-heads and enhanced neck muscles, or cows or sheep having grazing mechanics and their whole bodies being used to generate methane for powering generators.

The animals could have vents on the bodies as emergency release of gas, while the mains supply would be connected by the, erm, rear end.

- Steve

muyyatin
03-17-2004, 10:18 PM
Good to see you in this one!

I like the look of the lower-left horse the most, though it kindof covers up where it would eat

KaB
03-17-2004, 10:31 PM
Very cool idea.

Look forward to seeing this one evolve.

Steve Green
03-18-2004, 06:37 AM
Thanks,

the idea would be that it's mouth would be replaced with grazing machinery, like a lawnmower or an electric shaver.

It's early days though...

- Steve

JamesMK
03-18-2004, 07:50 AM
Very nice to see you in here, Steve!

Bio-mech cows is an intriguing concept, I'll be watching...

claudiojordao
03-18-2004, 10:10 AM
Hello, so, we are all here again ha! This challenge will be great. I agree with muyyatin, that lower-left horse/or something looks very promising... send more :)

JamesMK
03-18-2004, 10:16 AM
A'yea - the whole crew back together again.

And I'll have to point out that the lower RIGHT one with the rectal adapter (lol) is a great start for something extraordinary...

Steve Green
03-18-2004, 10:38 AM
Heh,

the cows or sheep or whatever would use their mower-like faces to convert grass into methane have metal gas canisters inside their bodies. They would wander about until full at which point they would return to a base station where the hose would be inserted and the methane removed.

There would also be emergency escape valves around the body of the animal in case there was risk of explosion.

It might be quite nice to parody an idyllic countryside scene with these guys, maybe a couple of lambs as well...

Should be fun :)

- Steve

Pumpuli
03-18-2004, 02:59 PM
Very good idea! More efficient and productive farm animals!

If they are for meat production they probably should be a lot more beefy and muscular due to breeding and perhaps genetic manipulation. Maybe you could have cattle, which could have some of their muscles removed for quality stakes, and which then would just grow on new muscles. No need to kill the animal, perhaps it's cheaper.

Steve Green
03-18-2004, 03:09 PM
Heh, yeah I'd thought about chickens that slice off their own breasts...

- Steve

Therezin
03-18-2004, 04:33 PM
Risk of explosion lol.... I love it!

flinder
03-18-2004, 05:04 PM
i'm liking the idea of an enhanced beast of burden sort of thing. but i like the methane generator concept even better. nice and original.

just don't let that thing spring a leak.

JamesMK
03-18-2004, 06:13 PM
Maybe you've heard about that special breed of meat cattle called "Belgian Blue" - they are genetically altered somehow so that most of their muscles appear twice so to speak; so while a normal cow may have 500 muscles (no, I don't know the exact amount dammit), the belgian blue has 1000.

Obviously this is good for meat production. Not good for the animal itself, but people producing this kind of meat probably couldn't care less....

Anyway - perhaps go for something like every muscle appears four times or more. Even twice the normal amount looks pretty freaky (go google it) - I dare not imagine how x4 would look...

Steve Green
03-18-2004, 06:28 PM
Cheers JamesMK,

I like the sound of a steroided up bull, I need to dig out my comparitive anatomy book and start working over the top...

Cheers,

Steve

TheFirstAngel
03-18-2004, 10:17 PM
Hey Steve, good to see ya in there too, freaky lil farm u'r raising! Hahaha, best luck mate!:beer: :beer: :beer:

Steve Green
03-18-2004, 10:53 PM
Thanks Sacha,

I've just been reading the rules and it looks like I could do a few animals rather than just one species, which opens up the scope of my little farm.

Actually that gives me an idea, I could have the animals have PCs embedded in their bodies, making it a proper renderfarm :)

- Steve

Steve Green
03-18-2004, 10:58 PM
I did a quick google on Belgian Blues - they're pretty freaky looking even without any bionics

http://www.belgianblue.co.uk/index.html

I'm sure they don't have a union jack on their behind though :)

- Steve

nuclearman
03-18-2004, 11:05 PM
It's a genetic modification, Steve. It's called a "jack ass." :-)

JamesMK
03-18-2004, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by Steve Green
I could have the animals have PCs embedded in their bodies, making it a proper renderfarm :)
Bwaahaah! Now that is really funny!

dlofgreen
03-18-2004, 11:08 PM
Looking forward to seeing your "farm". I'm new on this forum so I don't know your history here but I love your concept.

TheFirstAngel
03-18-2004, 11:25 PM
Muaahaha harhar, roflolmwo hahaha my wingz my wingz... lol
ok, this beats anything today! :cool: :beer:
mhmmm belgian blues look like plumpuddings with legs, don't exactly wanna know the gen-o-wabbit lets have a lil freakshow...
:beer:

Steve Green
03-19-2004, 11:18 AM
Continuing on the animals theme, how about a laptop-cat combination?

Not much use if they are stuck up a tree and you need to get some work done though...

- Steve

Steve Green
03-20-2004, 09:27 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1752/1752_1079818056_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1752/1752_1079818056_large.jpg)

Quick concept of a sheep 'node' in the render farm.

The side of the sheep will possibly have a TFT screen and keyboard for monitoring and emergencies.

I'd like to have some parts of the sheep's coat cut back for the electronics, but I think it is too much on the initial concept and takes away from the shape too much.

Joebount
03-20-2004, 09:38 PM
My god, pooooooooor sheep ! :P
Do you project to create the whole farm ?

Steve Green
03-20-2004, 09:54 PM
Well, I'd imagine that there would be a small flock of sheep clustered around a central bit of machinery which collects the methane and data, so the scenery would be mostly grassy pastures.

I'd like to make the scene very sunny and pleasant to the point of being twee like the photos in animal calendars, it would be a nice contrast to all the nastiness being done to the animals.

- Steve

JamesMK
03-20-2004, 09:58 PM
That's a bit on the sheep side, I wool like to say.

Steve Green
03-20-2004, 10:00 PM
Bahhhhhh!

- Steve

MikaelPersson
03-20-2004, 11:25 PM
haha that is a really fun concept. I love your idea of a "real" render farm. Are there special renderman sheep?

JamesMK
03-20-2004, 11:42 PM
Well, we do get RIBs from pigs...

Oh, I should go to bed now.

MikaelPersson
03-20-2004, 11:52 PM
LOL, you are sure you aren't from Gothenburg and not Kalmar?

rattlesnake
03-21-2004, 12:51 AM
nice concept, very handy for farmers i think, a little cruel but its cool, no doubt this contest is very tuff, theres a lot of good ideas and great artists, keep going man!:thumbsup:

Steve Green
03-21-2004, 09:48 AM
Thanks guys,

I'm going to spend a month on the concept sketches and tests before I get down to it - since I only need to do one sheep (and possibly a cow) I'd like to get them spot on.

I think the toughest thing will be getting the wooly coat looking good at high-res.

I'll be using Shag Fur for the sheeps wool and the grass, but this has the limitation that it won't reflect in raytrace materials unless it's geometry.

As a workaround you can set geometry that does reflect, but doesn't render which might be convincing enough in a reflection.

- Steve

Steve Green
03-21-2004, 08:42 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1752/1752_1079901725_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1752/1752_1079901725_large.jpg)

First doodle on the sheep's head - I'm not sure how large to make the mower in comparison to the head (it looks a little large at the moment)

JamesMK
03-22-2004, 08:35 AM
I'd second the notion that the mower looks a tad bit on the large side in that last painting... That aside, it seems like you've got a solid plan to blend it smoothly into the sheepshape (now that's a cool word) - - - I'm waaaaaaatching [they're hEEeeerree]

Steve Green
03-22-2004, 09:58 AM
Yeah,

I want it to be large enough to make a good job of cutting the grass, but not too large that the sheep wouldn't be able to lift it's head (or be in danger of cutting its own legs off)

I'm going to see if I can find any cheap cutesy animal books, might inspire me for compositions...

- Steve

Arioch
03-23-2004, 10:32 PM
Steve, your concept stetches are cracking my up. If you get a chance to do a full environment I'd imagine the grass would have shaved lines in it showing the animals eating patterns. :)

Go render farm!

Steve Green
03-24-2004, 07:10 AM
Thanks Mike,

Definitely, I'll be looking at touches of typical countryside environment, but with a twist.

I'd considered that the grass itself might be genetically modifiied so that it grows at an accelerated rate, meaning that sheep need to be eating 24/7 :)

- Steve

Pumpuli
03-24-2004, 07:34 AM
Great job! You've got the eating process handled well.

Have you given up on the methane gathering system? I thought about it yesterday and... where does the umm.. poop go? Or are the sheep modified so that they can convert almoust every molecule of grass in to energy, so that they defecate only some gases?

And sheep produce meat and wool. Wich one are these mainly for? Should they be very muscular if they are for meat production?

If they are for wool production they might have very fast growing wool. And then there could be this shaving/wool gathering machine on the pasture and the sheep would be trained to walk through it every now and then. :D Maybe it would even produce sweaters, like in Wallace and Gromit. And the sheep might also grow already colored fur. They could be in all colors.

Just some ideas. :)

Designer2
03-24-2004, 08:50 AM
hi steve very cool concept i hope the machine has good timer so that the sheep don't eat too much or will explode for sure.

he he

keep it up :thumbsup:

Steve Green
03-24-2004, 09:45 AM
Hi Pumpuli,

No, I hadn't given up on the methane production theme - I would imagine that the gases are separated out, but the solids are recycled (maybe mixed with rainwater) and sprayed out as fertiliser for the grass.

I hadn't considered the wool theme, the sheep were mainly to be used as a powersource rather than a physical product.

Maybe the hub that is used for methane collection could also have some kind of shearing mechanism.

I like the idea of multicoloured sheep (i-Sheep maybe?)

I don't know if it might get cluttered with multiple uses, I'll see how it looks when the methane stuff is in place.

Cheers,

Steve

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.