PDA

View Full Version : Machineflesh 3D Challenge Entry: James Kaufeldt

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

JamesMK
03-17-2004, 08:07 AM
James Kaufeldt has entered the Machineflesh 3D Challenge.

The result:

http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1704/1704_1087426314_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1704/1704_1087426314_large.jpg)

Pyke
03-17-2004, 08:09 AM
James-Welcome mate!!!

Its like the whole gang is getting back together.... *sniff*. :)

Good luck man!!!

JamesMK
03-17-2004, 08:12 AM
Pyke - Yeah! *sniff*

Now I'm immediately going to start designing pogo sticks!

...nah, wait, I just saw pogo sticks are out... dang, have to go for something infinitely more scary.

Seriously though, this is such a great theme - though true originality will require some realy deeeeeeep thinking. Back to my dungeon-o-horror to figure some stuff out.

TheFirstAngel
03-17-2004, 08:12 AM
Ah yess, good to c ya here Mate, lets rumble!!!!
let the machines come, time 4 heavy gears :D
Best luck, :beer: :bounce:

CLONEOPS
03-17-2004, 10:59 AM
oooohhhhhhhhh! So the rabbits joined a contest has it?
Well we'll see about that !
What with those mutant little hands,can it even operate a mouse?Is there enough rabbit in ya..hey rabbit? huh! huh

:Realize how close you came in the last
one????..ex el ant.
Hey one more an we got The Four Cgneers.....
I pledge from this point on to horribly and horiifically
crtit your work to death in a totally underhanded way which ultimately lead you to total mental spazz out.
Can you believe people alreadys posted pics. krites i just finished sharpening my pencil.
Do well! power up..........

Pufferfish
03-17-2004, 12:24 PM
:wavey:
Good luck for the challenge mate!:beer:

JamesMK
03-17-2004, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by CLONEOPS
I pledge from this point on to horribly and horiifically crtit your work to death in a totally underhanded way which ultimately lead you to total mental spazz out.
I do hope you'll stick to that - looking forward to some crits so harsh I'll need to surf with peril sensitive sunglasses on at all times.

... and I haven't even found my pencil yet. 93 days left - hope I'll find it soon enough :D

Pufferfish - Thanks a bunch! Looks like I'll need it. There are some fear-inducing challengers signed up this time around... :scream:

imscifi
03-17-2004, 01:35 PM
Ok, little bunny rabbit... Let's see what damage can be done... ;)

AFalk
03-17-2004, 02:54 PM
LOL

Looks like this challenge is really shaping up.

Can't wait to see what you come up with on the
concpet end of things!

All the best,

Tony

grstovell
03-17-2004, 02:55 PM
- subscribed-

Keeping a close eye on your mech-bunny of torture with pogo-sticks!

-g

Cartesius
03-17-2004, 03:48 PM
Considering your placement in the last challenge I have very high expectations for you this time (feel the preassure, feeeeel the preassure :))! Good luck!

/Anders

ThirdEye
03-17-2004, 03:55 PM
Good luck mate ;)

JamesMK
03-17-2004, 06:20 PM
imscifi: Yeah, baby, yeah!

AFalk: LOL indeed. Concepts coming in a few days...

the Rev: Sorry rev, can't talk now. Off to torture the bunny... :D

Cartesius: OK OK, I feel the pressure! Dagnabbit....

ThirdEye: Right back at'ya - by the look of things so far, this is going to be one helluva challenge!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

AND NOW... THE MOMENT YOU'VE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR (uh? eh... nah... anyways!)

The Story!

THE EXPENDABLE MINE WORKERS OF CERES IX

In 2064 deep space geologists found unexpected amounts of titanium and uranium hexaflouride in the core of several large asteroids. A conglomerate of five of the worlds largest mining corporations quickly assembled a new, out-of-this-world organization to make a good profit by excavating these rocks and bringing home the minerals which since a few decades back had been very hard to come by on earth.

The new organization was called AsteVoids, which was well chosen since the CEO had a bit of a speech impediment.

Unfortunately, as the first excavation on Ceres started, it soon became quite clear that the working conditions were quite inhuman. The mine workers died like flies on a windscreen, and the union went berzerk and threatened to kill the entire board of directors using a pair of old ice skates and piano wire. AsteVoids decided to put the project on hold until someone came up with a good idea...

Around 2070, a team of french prosthetics engineers and surgeons unknowingly provided AsteVoid with an answer as they performed several successful experiments combining death-row convicts and pneumatic mining equipment. They just did that for fun, but the AsteVoid CEO (yes, the guy with the speech impediment) quickly realized the potential of their findings.

From 2072 and onwards, AsteVoids sent heaps of convicts to the french back-alley surgeons to get them retrofitted with pneumatic drills, hydraulic lifts and so on ad nauseam - only to quickly launch them off to the nearest asteroid mining site.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

My concept so far is a deeply depressing portrait of two or three of these mechanically engineered mine workers on the ninth site of Ceres.

Refs to get: Anything from a morgue combined with full product sheets and blueprints from Dynapac. :D

grstovell
03-17-2004, 06:52 PM
ewwwwwww! I like it - especially the old skates and the piano string! (just don't be too quick to share your references!! eww)

Now the official challenge entry request...

WIRES please!!!!! (too soon? oops.)

flyingP
03-17-2004, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by JamesMK
The new organization was called AsteVoids, which was well chosen since the CEO had a bit of a speech impediment.

Must have had a "wabbit" in the family.
:D

mikepolizos
03-17-2004, 07:29 PM
Cool concept and much of work!
Best luck man!

Looking forward for the first sketches!
:thumbsup:

JamesMK
03-18-2004, 08:37 AM
Rev: Yeah, wires... Hang on a sec... :D

flyingP: He had sewewal wabbits in his family. Weally a lot, stawting with his gweat-gweat gwandfather, Wichard Weed.

mikepol: Thank you. Concepts coming soon... Have to make a trip today to my local store to get some new paper and a few pencils.

- - - - - - - - -

MEANWHILE - I've been hunting around for refs on the trusty google image search and found some neat stuff.

My search brought things to a slightly different twist - it turns out that there's some people out there collecting photos of old machinery, a bit like trainspotting I guess, but they spot really old equipment of different kinds and take pictures of it... Fancy that.

Anyway, there was a lot of potentially cool stuff available on such sites, so I've decided to go retro-futuristic on this, and fit my mining workers with really old hardware instead of high-tech gear. This obviously increases the risk of all sorts of gory infections, so I'm sure it will prove to be a good way to go about it :)

Agilers
03-18-2004, 11:22 AM
Man i love the concept already even though i haven't seen any sketch....ill be checking this threat that's for sure....:applause: :beer:

JamesMK
03-18-2004, 07:48 PM
Agilers: Thanks... I've got my new sketchbook and a set of fresh pens now - will start drawing later tonight.

- - - - - -

MEANWHILE IN THE BAT CAVE::..

I've continued to hunt for refs, and I just found some absolutely lovely photos over at some place called lostlabour.com - I simply have to share two of these here:

http://w1.480.telia.com/~u48033445/mf/xphoto_steel06.jpg
http://w1.480.telia.com/~u48033445/mf/xphoto_transport02.jpg

mikepolizos
03-18-2004, 07:57 PM
Dirtyyyy!!!!

TheFirstAngel
03-18-2004, 09:57 PM
sounds like big plan.... haha, we all be watching u. Gweetz to ur wabbit hahaha!

JamesMK
03-18-2004, 10:02 PM
Cheers dudes... I'm just trying to surround myself with some imagery to get into the intended mood. Working on some sketches now, but nothing postworthy yet.

The idea is settling around sort of a darkish suffering working-class-hero noir look, that's why I liked the photos above so much.

flyingP
03-18-2004, 10:02 PM
"Very" nice mood in that first picture IMO.

ghostgirl
03-18-2004, 10:18 PM
You may have some luck by searching for pictures of the style 'steampunk'. :) It's a blend of 1800's worker aesthetic with modern cyber type fashion. (I'm totally not describing it correctly, but your concept just sounds so quintessentially steampunk!)
Good luck with your project. :)

Megan

swag
03-18-2004, 10:25 PM
cool story - stuff for a great entry - good luck

JamesMK
03-18-2004, 10:25 PM
flyingPiggie: Oh yeah... I almost went blind when I saw it the first time. I wonder if one should try to emulate those lightbleed artifacts probably caused by the chemical film development process somehow... I really like that look.

ghostgirl: I bet you're correct. Then I've finally got someone to define that for me :D But I think I will avoid searching for it - I don't want to spoil my roll-out here...

swag: Nice to see you here! Glad you like the idea so far.

EDIT: OK, so I googled it anyway :p It pretty much conforms to what I usually think of as retro-futurism or low tech - the use of old technology in new contexts and so on and so forth yada yada yada... Brazil is one of my favourite movies, see?

dlofgreen
03-18-2004, 11:25 PM
I can see it now. Very cool concept, I'm sure I won't be disappointed.

JamesMK
03-19-2004, 01:28 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1704/1704_1079659704_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1704/1704_1079659704_large.jpg)

Just a first character sketch. Not entirely sure about the legs yet, and everything is still kind of undefined.

Oh, and apologies for my inferior drawing skills as usual...

Virtuoso
03-19-2004, 01:57 AM
JamesMK...........Nice storyline/background.The current sketch depicts your ideas quite well.From what I gather you are in a somewhat "Steampunkish" mode of thought as ghostgirl mentioned.I quess with time the exact style or blends of style will come out in the forefront........I will be on the lookout for your progress,and look forward to some fun and some good work from you.Take care,see you soon.:beer:

Jester Capp
03-19-2004, 02:59 AM
Ahem...

"GROIN ADAPTER"???

Well... Safety, first, I s'pose... can't be too careful, i possibly high-pressure situations... :wip:

In any case, look forward to seeing your progress!

ElyCannon
03-19-2004, 03:37 AM
What does the groin adapter do exactly?

I hope it is something exciting and dangerous for normal people!

grstovell
03-19-2004, 04:51 AM
call me crazy, but that groin adapter is screaming to be animated!!!:beer:

-g

Designer2
03-19-2004, 05:02 AM
good to have another challenge and see you in again, nice working the concept is so nice i think you should also give the legs more attention as you did with hands, keep up and rock.

JamesMK
03-19-2004, 06:51 AM
Virtuoso: A true honor to have you visiting my thread... And, yup, the final blend of styles is somewhere on the horizon - a long way to go and many more concepts to draw, I'm glad you're watching!

Jester Capp: With all that compressed air, high pressure situations arise frequently...

Ely_Cannon: I guess it would be dangerous for normal people since you're supposed to fit drilling equipment into the adapter in question :) It would probably be rather painful.

the Rev: Ok, you ARE weirder than I first thought ;)

Designer2: M'yeap. The legs need some attention, they are mainly just placeholders here. I hope you're entering as well and I just haven't seen your thread yet!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - tear here - - - - - - - - - - - - <

THIS JUST IN::.. ><><><>

I've made an initial blocking sketch for the intended final composition and pose - it is VEEEEERY rough, but I'll upload it in a second here.... and hopefully it can give you some idea about what I have in mind - watch below...

JamesMK
03-19-2004, 07:15 AM
Just a blocking doodle here::..

This one hopefully explains what I'm thinking... Two miners, a few seconds after some sort of accident - one guy is semi-conscious, leaning on the other one who does his best to drag his injured friend to the exit and the bright light closer to the surface.
The damaged worker has been injecting himself with a special cocktail containing morphine, synthetic endorphine and prozac - and he is slowly fading away... They both know he will not be back again, but they keep struggling regardless.

Please disregard the drawing itself, and the colors are mainly here to separete the elements; it does not constitute a color concept. :p

http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1704/1704_1079680551_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1704/1704_1079680551_large.jpg)

Jonas8200
03-19-2004, 07:21 AM
Soooo lemme get this straight...

These guys are ****ed because the French put criminals together with some machinery for fun?

...And I thought Freedom Fries were wierd...

Good luck bud, I'm thinking of entering myself... =)

flyingP
03-19-2004, 08:41 AM
"Groin adapter"????

Dare I ask what inspired that one :eek: .

Cracked me up all the same though :D

TheFirstAngel
03-19-2004, 09:04 AM
hahaha, what did google spit out this time? Haha, great weird fun again, Bad Co, French-n-stein Cy-borxZ (with growin-adapters... rofl), an accident... a bad accident, i see a trials of blood and pieces of burned n rotten flesh all over the place, I smell poisoning gases floating the air... haha, ulalala
whats in your breakfast mate :)

Atwooki
03-19-2004, 09:06 AM
Hey James, that guy's a veritable swiss army knife... looks like he could get up to some serious penetration, also; still, but his girlfriend's happy :D

great concept brewing; plenty of depth there to work on :)

Atwooki

JamesMK
03-19-2004, 09:24 AM
Jonas8200-> "...And I thought Freedom Fries were wierd..."
- Well, there's always another notch on the weirdness-knobs... and do enter yourself, the more the merrier!

flyingP-> "Groin adapter - ???? Dare I ask what inspired that one?"
- Probably not... It just seemed appropriate somehow :D

the1st_angel-> "hahaha, what did google spit out this time?... haha, ulalala whats in your breakfast mate"
- Hmm... Google gave me the huge rock drill on a tripod - humans usually only have two legs, and I needed to get a sense of a third one - the choice was obvious... And my breakfast today was two megasize mugs of triple-strength coffee (no AW mug though, because it hasn't showed yet).

Atwooki-> "that guy's a veritable swiss army knife... looks like he could get up to some serious penetration, also; still, but his girlfriend's happy"
lol - let the record reflect the fact that HE said it, not me :D And I guess this would be the previously unseen french army knife then...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Lots of concept work remains, more on that tonight (yeah, that'll be at least 12 hours from now) - keep churning, fellow challeng0rz!

pigwater
03-19-2004, 10:10 AM
your mad i tell you ..just plain mad:eek:

all it needs now is a cool set of those rabbit ears and you'll take the boxx for sure

good to see you throwin down the gauntlet:beer:

Atwooki
03-19-2004, 01:13 PM
JamesMK:
And I guess this would be the previously unseen french army knife then...
Zut alors! Does this mean these guys are members of the underground 'french resistance' army, then? :D

Atwooki

JamesMK
03-19-2004, 02:46 PM
Mais oui! "Zis is Yvette of ze resistánce, listen carefully, I shall say zis only once..." :D

Pigwater: Nice to see you around again! *runs off to see if there's a pigwater challenge thread somewhere here*

- - - - -

Further information on the origins of the 'groin adapter' - - - this kind of device first appeared in the british sci-fi comedy 'Red Dwarf', and it is of course Kryten who is equipped with the adapter in question (though I'm not sure if they called it a 'socket' or something similar) - from what I recall he could attach a vacuum cleaner tube to it and do some hoovering... ah well.

By the way - do you think I am steering clear from the obvious BORG/cyborg thing enough with this pneumatic miner concept? I hope so myself, but then again, that is only my subjectivity speaking, so I cannot be entirely sure.... :hmm:
Requesting input regarding that particular bit, please.

mv
03-19-2004, 02:51 PM
what? are you making fun of the people who's got the best english accent? you insolent!

:p
great concepts James, I'm keeping an eye on your entry.
:wip:

rattlesnake
03-19-2004, 02:52 PM
Hey, good to see you in this challenge, good luck sir:thumbsup:

imscifi
03-19-2004, 04:05 PM
Good greif! Youv'e been buisy... (guess that's why your avitar is a Rabbit... ) :surprised

So I like your idea... reminds me of WWI for some reason. Probably the idea of older machinery... Dirty and industrial.

Like the twist of the groin... what is it again? "Groin adapter"... (rabbit avitar)..:thumbsup:

heh heh heh...

and your idea definitely doesn't have that "borg" feeling. I like the CEO with a speech impediment... sounds realistic... most people in power (in this country) tend to be pretty stupid... and only get there cause "familly and friends" helped them get there... not like I'm compairing to anyone currently in politics (ahem) :p

well, I'm looking forward to seeing more! Keep it up (rabbit).... ha ha ha!

ahhhhh... giggle...

imscifi
03-19-2004, 04:07 PM
oh and I'm not saying anyone with a speach impediment is stupid... my husband has one, mild, but none the less, and he's really intelligent!

JamesMK
03-19-2004, 05:56 PM
GOL! (that is, giggling out loud, should be possible yes?)

I can assure you there's a lot of stupid people in high-up places here in sweden as well - you wouldn't believe half of it... No current politic reference from my side either *cough*, have no idea *ahhh...ack* what you might be implying :p

I'm really glad to hear it goes WWI-ish rather than "the other thing" - I was sort of hoping for that.
The bunny is allowed to stay on the job... [smirk mode=on]

Speaking of speech impediments - More Red Dwarf!
(Lister to food dispenser) - You've got a lisp!
- Yeth, I know. The malfuncthion hath been reported...

Mr Flibble, the sock, signing off.

eYadNesS
03-19-2004, 07:28 PM
Nice start JamesMK :)
Good luck...

:wavey:

JamesMK
03-19-2004, 07:37 PM
Sorry guys, lost track of things there for a while... la la la

m@ - Honestly, english with a french accent is great... but funny too :D Not like english with a swedish accent, which is the most puke-inducing experience known to man - the apomorphine of accents if you will.

rattlesnake - Thanks for stopping by, see ya lots on the long road ahead!

Eyad - Thanks, I could use some luck here me thinks - the competition looks fiercer than ever... Right back at ya btw.

splotch
03-19-2004, 08:55 PM
hi James glad to be here again ...
show the real start so every one know who is speaking :p
i am expecting here a very rich and high quality work ..
as usual :beer:
keep it up and have fun man

good luck friend

CLONEOPS
03-20-2004, 12:04 AM
yes.. yes... i am picking up something ..yes... i'm channelling yes... a rabbit....
the rabbit says you could go dubbya-dubbya2 version full out- very retro ,all tools refs and/or a factory henry- fordish
assembly line type - will you stick with miners?
One guy could be like this huge brute guy very almost bent
over to the floor /huge hunchback+back reinforced.
and he has the huge -mega- rock grinder he has attatched to his hands/hips? and he could have this little puppy that follow him everywhere but just also GOT ACCIDENTALY CRUSHED-*sob* too.
Almost a scene like that guy that did those old time magazine covers of the common people [name???]-found it Saturday Evening Post !
Everybody will have the compressor to run ,big air tank on those if you run big equipment. maybe his skinny little asistant could BE the air compressor.??

JamesMK
03-20-2004, 12:25 AM
splotch - still a few more days of sketching to do. I'm not getting the legs to work like I want, and there are still heaps of design problems to solve... There's plenty of time. I'm totally confident still...

CLONEOPS - Be the compressor! I can feeeeeel it! Too bad the dog won't live - but then again, who does?

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Just horribly loud. The blast crawled up from the depths, slow at first, then exponentially faster until it wiped out every kind of movement in its path - a relentless kill; not cold, though it could have been, but burning hot like acid far beyond the limits of any sane sensory organs fried to black convulsing chunks of steaming flesh scattered around the air around us - just hanging there absolutely frozen for a fraction of a second until the roaring suddenly stopped with a sad thumping whimper shutting everything down for what seemed to be several hours but probably only lasted for a few seconds. The sound became solid snapping at us, throwing our mutilated bodies to the ground covered with sharp rocks and rusting old tools covered in grease, smelling like tar, dust and ashes whirling around our slow-motion faces.

I looked up, and the lower half of his face was gone. Torn away. The noise settled down a bit, turning into something like smooth rain. Drops trickle trickle... while grains of sand fell to the ground.

He was still alive. Not more than anyone else around here, but still ticking. I pressed the button on his auto-injector one-two-three clicks and hiss, morphine endorphine buzzing into the back of his head like a concrete spongecake wrapped in a thin layer of steel...

We got up, I had to drag him forward as he was caught in some sort of static fall towards me, feet sliding behind his heavy body held down by 400 pounds of cast iron equipment. A few more clicks and hiss, watched his eyes go dimmer with each step, losing radiance with every breath, but we had to reach the exit, had to reach that dusty curtain of light in front of us. Just a few steps.

But he was not supposed to make it. I knew that. He knew that. One last step.

Modron
03-20-2004, 04:31 AM
Hey dude, good luck. Looks like it will be interesting!

Cullen
03-20-2004, 06:23 AM
"Groin adapter - ???? Dare I ask what inspired that one?"
Probably not... It just seemed appropriate somehow

Of course it was apporopriate. In fact I am insulted that more people havn't added this into their concepts yet.
Just Jokin. Good luck JamesMK

JamesMK
03-20-2004, 09:18 AM
Trying out some designs for the lower legs. I want a pneumatic stamper kind of function here, and at the same time a sense of heavy feet combined with the construction seen in most animals walking on their toes... uh... that doesn't quite show yet - still refining things.

http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1704/1704_1079774293_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1704/1704_1079774293_large.jpg)

JamesMK
03-20-2004, 09:20 AM
I'll let the sketch do the talking here.

http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1704/1704_1079774448_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1704/1704_1079774448_large.jpg)

MeanPi2
03-20-2004, 09:29 AM
Ouch, broken groin adapter..

JamesMK
03-20-2004, 09:53 AM
Modron: Thanks, dude. Long time no see!

Cullen: Yup, it's strange. Everyone should have one of those :D

MeanPi2: lol - interesting and well thought-out interpretation!

CLONEOPS
03-20-2004, 11:29 AM
.... he looks on as the new guys is oufitted with the newest GRoin ADAPter 2.0 ..hahahaha .. rokkin!!
I like his flat head....and wicked fat- stitch eyeball sockets..good place for some of the ooze you mentioned earlier.

JamesMK
03-20-2004, 11:38 AM
LOL @ CLONEOPS . . Yah, we all know the benefits of an upgrade to 2.0 - here's a special one for all bunny lovers out there:

http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1704/1704_1079782683_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1704/1704_1079782683_large.jpg)

flyingP
03-20-2004, 01:23 PM
I'll let the sketch do the talking here.

http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1704/1704_1079774448_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1704/1704_1079774448_large.jpg)

Damn that was me this morning :scream:

CLONEOPS
03-20-2004, 05:14 PM
plop a ref number on these pics..
Damaged head concept pic-
looks like a hard day at the office i really dig to the neckless
flow into the shoulders,one side looks atrophied - maybe just the view i am seeing , could be a feature though!
and his head hair thingys -creepy.good .

Is his throat -dark area- a big gaping mouth hanging down in that pic ...like the ultimate slack jaw robo drone or
just shadows?

And i actually saw a old guy not long ago with just this weird
hair /discolored skin patch condition .i think maybe his head got lasered or something ..damn
if i just had a camera at the time i could have asked him to pose for a few shots..

oh hey i just dug out my old industrial first aid book
radial frac/compound frac/crush injuries..industrial mega
puncture wounds.....oh ya and how to contain bleeding from
said wounds..ya like mattress sized patches.....GRUESOME pics man oh man oh man.....Eeeeeeeeeeek i think i'm gonna burn it.

JamesMK
03-20-2004, 06:57 PM
flyingP: Teehee, so I have gathered.... Get well soon, mate.

CLONEOPS: "Is his throat -dark area- a big gaping mouth hanging down in that pic ...like the ultimate slack jaw robo drone or
just shadows?"
- It's like no jaw at all... Lost in one of those accidents in your book - good point btw, I'll check some refs... Mega puncture, here we go (hubba-hubba hey hey)

ilasolomon
03-20-2004, 08:03 PM
Bring it on, crazy man, Time to fire up the XL8!

JamesMK
03-20-2004, 08:40 PM
Yes indeed, Mr Soleimani - I'm just about to put the pencil away and start pushing... Any minute now - mmmmmmaybe tomorrow. Probably.

Good luck with the cow (I just loved that one), and see you along the road!

splotch
03-20-2004, 09:08 PM
i'll stay here waiting till tomorrow :scream:

heheheh

keltuzar
03-20-2004, 09:12 PM
nice concepts! best of luck!:thumbsup:

TheFirstAngel
03-21-2004, 07:10 AM
what the... u makin me look old again, had too much crap to get done with and u already put the pencils away... ouch, i look old, somebody help me over the street!:surprised
wabbit wabbit, drop da bomb James! LOve ur concept!:scream:
Rock on Mate !:beer:

Agilers
03-21-2004, 05:06 PM
Ok do the bunnyman.....
I can almost picture it ...a bunnyman ..........just creepy

:bounce: :bounce: :beer:

BgDM
03-21-2004, 05:25 PM
OOOH! You need to do the bunnyman. Awesome concept there.

BgDM

JamesMK
03-21-2004, 06:00 PM
Keltuzar - thanks, right back at ya

Splotch - I wish you had - check your PM's!

1st Angel - Nah, don't worry, still not one single polygon produced over here :D Though I have resharpened my pencil a few times today as well.

BgDM, Agilers - Bunnyman it is. I'll have one fat guy with the blown off jaw, and his sidekick, the bunnyman. For some reason it looks cooler to tear off the jaw from the larger guy... Don't know why that is, but it's the deal right now.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I found myself sitting in a dark corner of the house today, chanting something about Queen Amidala and Winona Ryder... Then I had this vision about a trucker kind of baseball cap with bunny ears attached to them, and the guy wearing it also wore star-shaped sunglasses like the old funkadelic Bootsy Collins...
I really need to sleep more and drink less coffee.
I really should boot up C4D and start building something.
It's getting closer. It rubs itself with lotion in, or else it gets the hose again.

flyingP
03-21-2004, 06:05 PM

I found myself sitting in a dark corner of the house today, chanting something about Queen Amidala and Winona Ryder... Then I had this vision about a trucker kind of baseball cap with bunny ears attached to them, and the guy wearing it also wore star-shaped sunglasses like the old funkadelic Bootsy Collins...
I really need to sleep more and drink less coffee.

Nah... just open your fridge again :D

JamesMK
03-21-2004, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by flyingP
Nah... just open your fridge again :D
I dare not. I'm going to need some therapy soon. Anyone got a pack of Haloperidol or something? :scream:

JamesMK
03-22-2004, 12:27 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1704/1704_1079915260_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1704/1704_1079915260_large.jpg)

Finally started to model something! This is a leg for the fat guy (the one without bunny ears)and the general idea is that everything below the knee is replaced with a mechanical part which works like a pneumatic stamper. The organic thigh is rather infected most of the time because of the sloppy surgical job, and is therefore wrapped in some sort of cloth that will be all dirty and bloodstained once I get to the texturing (absolutely not happening now).

pigwater
03-22-2004, 12:33 AM
i can get ya some ... send me a cashier's check for shipping and your good to go :thumbsup:

actually for sticking echo and the bunnyman in this thread it's my treat ...

-----

whoaaah ... modelling ... the puter's up and purring ... nice, nice, nice ... trash compacter meets the mummy:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

rattlesnake
03-22-2004, 07:21 AM
wow, thats a good start man, i cant finish my sketch yet and youre modelling already, good job:thumbsup:
is a great idea the dirty bloody texture, is going to be nice effect:buttrock:

flyingP
03-22-2004, 07:39 AM
Cool start (although I was kind of hoping you would start with that bunny man.)

Virtuoso
03-22-2004, 07:48 AM
Here is to the start of mesh building JamesMK.........:beer:

I'll follow all your steps.Looks like it'll be well worth it.......:thumbsup:

JamesMK
03-22-2004, 08:19 AM
pigwater -> Much appreciated, though I've changed my mind. I'm afraid turning into the human equivalent of a boiled carrot might obstruct my work...

rattlesnake -> Just play it slowly... There's plenty of time, and it's better to wait until you really feel that the sketch is complete.

flyingP -> Mmm'well, bunnyman is up sooner or later. I just had to start with something simple - it's been a while since I modeled anything... needed a nice and easy warm-up session.

Virtuoso -> Ah, an official start-of-modeling jug of beer - now there's a good idea. Thanks for following the progress!

(progress, protest, pro tools, blue dress, bluegrass, pough-Kah, poughkeepsie)

imscifi
03-22-2004, 04:39 PM
oh sure start modeling see what I care!

Looks great so far... and hmmm I think you should have more than one bunnyman... :thumbsup:

I like the guy with the missing lower face... reminds me of this movie... speaking of which, just saw "Dawn of the Dead". Definitely a keep among Zombie flicks... has a baby zombie at that! Blaaahhhrrrr!!!! ;) Your guys remind me of them... with the exception to the bunny ears... but I like them.

ok, now i'm gonna have to start modeling to catch up! jeesh...

tsunami4you
03-22-2004, 04:44 PM
i didn't got much from your drawings but i like the story!:blush:

CLONEOPS
03-22-2004, 05:16 PM
tsunami4you:
Actuallly the pics do tell a lot if you are looking with your eyes mind, and imagination open.

-its not a 1.7 second nike commercial that blazes by,and signifies nothing.

Art such as this takes time to savour and contemplate
and only gets better over time.
Jamesmk little pics speak volumes, an epic tale of suffering,comradeship,and survival in a brutal enviroment
during a disatrous calamity which bring two uh..people.. things.. together in the bosom of hope and charity,and gives hope to all those who might one day be free from there suffering existance.

.................................................................duh.

JamesMK
03-22-2004, 05:54 PM
imscifi - No need to rush. I just couldn't see how I could get further by drawing more... thus on to modeling. You on the other hand CAN actually draw, and then there's heaps of good reasons to stick to it for an extended period of time. Wabbit Zombies coming up... good idea to perhaps have more than one bunnyman - let me think about that for a while....

tsunami4you - I can only agree that my drawing skills are far from perfect when it comes to storytelling - I guess that's why I always start out with a written (rather than drawn) story. Glad you like it nevertheless.

CLONEOPS - For once, I'm going to speak entirely seriously to you and say that I am UTTERLY amazed that you actually summed up my concept pretty much letter-perfect. Fling! GigaZING!

ivo D
03-22-2004, 10:00 PM
whats it gonna be whats it gonna be.. , nice going , looking forward seeing some in 3d;)

imscifi
03-22-2004, 10:21 PM
hey wabbit! why thanks for the compliment! I like your drawings... I studied all sorts of artist in art history... and trust me... yours would have done just fine with the group! silly wabbit!

now where are those models?... stop talking and get modeling! :D

DimitrisLiatsos
03-22-2004, 10:50 PM
:bounce: yeah imscifi is wright!!!. We want modeling...stop painting!!! :bounce:

JamesMK
03-22-2004, 10:53 PM
Easy now! Look, here is tonight's update! Huh? Yeap.

Just got a rough shape up for the unfortunate large guy. Incidently, this is the kind of belly that's just perfect for drawing two rings around the titties and put a cigarette in the bellybutton. Good party trick.

http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1704/1704_1079996036_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1704/1704_1079996036_large.jpg)

BgDM
03-22-2004, 11:20 PM
Great progress James. Will be keeping my eye on this one.

BgDM

JamesMK
03-23-2004, 12:55 AM
BgDM: aw'rightie then!

..::Last update today::..

http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1704/1704_1080003355_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1704/1704_1080003355_large.jpg)

Just testing here... obviously haven't merged the torso with the wrapped thighs yet, but I wanted to check the look out. - - - AND, I've added the groin adapter! Now he only needs a little toolbox with various gadgets to attach on the aforementioned adapter.

polybuilder
03-23-2004, 01:10 AM
This is looking good JamesMK:)

I like this one so far:D

darthweaver
03-23-2004, 02:09 AM
Great work :beer: real cool concept. looking forward to some more updates.

And do i sense some red dwarf inspiration there? i know cryton has a groin adapter he can attach several things to like a vacum cleaner, drill and other stuff

imscifi
03-23-2004, 02:20 AM
YEAH BABY!!!! mmmmm look at that groin... (what the hell was it called?!!!!)... looks SEXEY... mmmmm... grrrrrr... woof woof!~

:p :thumbsup: :applause:

dude that modeling is looking awesome!

"Can't wait to see what's on your plate!

Can't wait to see what happens next!

Laaaaaddy laaaaa.... It's looking great!.....

So I don't know how to write a song but you know how to model realllllly greeeeaaaattttt!!!!...

taaaa daaaaa!!!!!!!"

CLONEOPS
03-23-2004, 06:12 AM

CLONEOPS - For once, I'm going to speak entirely seriously to you and say that I am UTTERLY amazed that you actually summed up my concept pretty much letter-perfect. Fling! GigaZING!

Ya sorry about that i wont let it happin again.!

hehe...... i left out the part how lonely they become, and just how close some of those bonds become among those hearty mangled miners, and the romantic turmoil and twists of their lives which makes the death of one of them just that much more cruel and heartbreaking.
hehee..
:) :beer:

flyingP
03-23-2004, 06:19 AM
Hahahaha, damn I knew I should have swallowed my musli before looking in this thread this morning... :D that just cracks me up.... (goes away to get cloth and clean up musli covered monitor :eek: )

JamesMK
03-23-2004, 06:37 AM
imscifi - I think you're on to something... maybe Walter could make some music for those lyrics... Maybe try 'hunka-hunka burnin groin adapter' for the chorus :D

CLONEOPS - OK then ::.. Think you're ready to pitch that stuff to Lasse Hallstrom by now. You're looking at an academy award for 'best screenplay' ..:: There is a slight risk of cheeze-outs, but Mr Hallstrom can turn this into a sensitive drama with Peter Stormare, featuring Lena Olin as the mysterious adaptress.

flyingP - Oh, sorry about the musli! :D May I point you towards aisle 9 where we've got a special on CRT-Musli-Guards (tm) to prevent future accidents...

pigwater
03-23-2004, 08:18 AM
you guys are having your own little party over here aren't yah ??? ... well keep it down !!! .. i'm trying to get some work done !!!

-------

by the way ... what is musli??

oh... nice progress ... think i'm gonna have to steal that groin thingy thing for my thing once i figure out what my thing is

flyingP
03-23-2004, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by pigwater by the way ... what is musli??[/B]

Pretty ugly after it's been mixed with milk and chewed a few times before hitting the screen. :)

pigwater
03-23-2004, 08:25 AM
is this like a baby thing??

EDIT

like spittle??

JamesMK
03-23-2004, 08:28 AM
Musli ::.. Like granola, but less sugar.

http://www.aurion.dk/dansk/musli.3.jpg

pigwater
03-23-2004, 08:31 AM
aahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!! .. i see

never had it

muchos gracias for the ref pic otherwise i'd have to google it myself:eek:

JamesMK
03-23-2004, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by pigwater
muchos gracias for the ref pic otherwise i'd have to google it myself:eek:
Yeah, we can't have old mister ThirstyPig wasting his energy on such things now, can we? ;)

pigwater
03-23-2004, 08:46 AM
no ...

have fun ya'all .. watch out for the cops

MikaelPersson
03-23-2004, 09:37 AM
Hello,
a long thread to catch up on. I like your ideas James, but I must admit the first time I saw that last sketch with the two people in, I thought he was about to take a big bite out of the other ones shoulder.
Not much to crit yet, but I would suggest that you stay clear of the smooth button. That foot looks so much nicer in it's lowpoly form. Especially knowing what you are aiming for those old factory constructors had as few pieces as possible when constructing their machines.

ivo D
03-23-2004, 09:44 AM
try to get your mesh very tight, i adice you to now go on the box model tour to much ;)

JamesMK
03-23-2004, 09:44 AM
Mikael P - Thanks for your observations. As far as sketches go, I'm aware that they don't exactly convey the message very clear (to say the least ;) - think of them more as my private memos - though they need to be posted... Ah nevermind. The foot and smoothbutton - yups, I definitely agree. I want a rough, low-tech look, so these things need some attention.

Your input is muchly appreciated! And Ivo D's as well!

CLONEOPS
03-23-2004, 09:58 AM
Musli ::.. Like granola, but less sugar.

http://www.aurion.dk/dansk/musli.3.jpg

i thought rabbit food would show up here eventually.
- mmmm like food but without the taste...

claudiojordao
03-23-2004, 10:00 AM
Very very good JamesMK, you are speeding up :)

CLONEOPS
03-23-2004, 10:13 AM
almost forgot ...

flesh>shaft>piston actuator>rubber dust cover>
round shaft>ankle?>bigass tamper...usually.

I have actually used one of these suckers , 200 pounds
of spine vibe fun.

Cullen
03-23-2004, 10:01 PM
crap... at the rate you are going you will be finished this challenge by the end of the day.

Good luck man and I like the model.

mikepolizos
03-23-2004, 10:12 PM
Great modeling so far mate!

Keep stuff coming!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

ravioli_rancher
03-23-2004, 10:27 PM
JamesMK,

Good show, you little hooligan :)

The corporation with a lisp sounds too cheap to afford symmetrical limbs for its rehabilitation program. Thus, if one leg is a stamper, the other might be a supersized, liquid aluminum chicken foot.

Also, each worker is given a farm animal attribute, for easy identification. If one has bunny ear implants, the slob with the chicken foot, of course, has a beak.

Though the bunny and the chicken might be friends, their animal parts sometimes get the best of them, and eyes get pecked out and groin adapters clog with rabbit fuzz.

Also, they like to hold hands while mining, because its really dark inside the stank hole of an asteroid. Plus, it's their way of saying, hey, I know your pain, buttercup so let's fester in this emesis chamber together.

Wheee!

Please resume your lofty despair. :)

TheFirstAngel
03-23-2004, 10:32 PM
muahahaha, thats the man i missed! LMwo, (my wings), lol, what's your progress doin RR?

CLONEOPS
03-24-2004, 05:14 AM
Okay so someone tell me who Lasse Hallstrom
is because my hands are crippled from modeling and
I dont have a Google Clapper.

Oh wait i found it !
Film director: Of such gems as .....
Ska vi gå hem till dej eller till mej eller var och en till sitt?
aka
Shall We Go to My Place or Your Place or Each Go Home Alone? (2003) (TV) (USA)
JIMBO that is one whopper of a title for a tv movie.

Plot Summary for: blah blah blah foreign language.

Arne, Calle, and Gunnar are friends, probably in their twenties. One telephones the others, and they decide to visit a nightclub. They hope to meet women and have sex. After they arrive at the club, each man meets with a certain degree of success or failure. Calle particularly is frustrated, for no woman agrees to dance with him. Meanwhile, Arne and Gunnar are busily conversing with women. Eventually the friends all leave with lady friends in tow, and spend the night in various apartments. In the morning, the couples depart differently. One couple has bonded amicably, another tenuously, and the third not at all.
The next day, the men reconnect, and decide to try their luck again.

I wonder where this gonna end up....i don't think these two are ever gonna get any jiggy in this movie, and they will probably end up in trouble.
Anybody know how it ends?

;)

JamesMK
03-24-2004, 07:23 AM
CLONEOPS - I would suggest you check out 'What's eating Gilbert Grape' instead... IIRC that was Hallstroms greatest... The one you're talking about sounds like something I wouldn't spend any money on... lol. Thanks for your info on stampers too, will come in handy. The refs I've found are very small and hard to read....

ravioli_rancher - I'm soooo glad to see you're back! And excellent suggestions as well. I might not go for the beak, but perhaps something even sillier... we'll see. Of course, the OS for the implants was written in 'LISP for embedded systems'.

mikepol, Cullen, 1stAngel, claudio - Thanks for your support, guys. I'm sorry I didn't get any further modeling done yesterday, I was too tired and had to crash REALLY early. Hopefully I've got some substantial updates tonight...

CLONEOPS
03-24-2004, 07:59 AM
thanks i will check it out ..never seen it.
take a BREAK guy ,have a bowl of that moosely stuff.,make you feel better. straight 24 hours bro.
do nothing.
chill.
do

shhhhhhhh please do not disturb.
quiet.

Shouit
03-24-2004, 08:20 AM
very effective modeling - impressive. give us more!
everyone seems to work faster than me :(

machineflesh (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=131025&goto=newpost)

website (http://www.lichtpartikel.de)

Cgkoko
03-24-2004, 09:39 AM
....ok .... enough with the break! Continiue working budy! I want to see some action!!!:wip:
I love it so far

Rhezz
03-24-2004, 10:34 AM
The feet look kinda out of place on him. Maybe you should change to something less blockyish.

goood progress so far. :)

lol I think his belly was a head until I read that it was a belly. :)

JamesMK
03-24-2004, 08:42 PM
CLONEOPS - Thanks, bud - and now, the break is over!

Shouit - Glad you like, and there's no need to feel rushed. Yet.

Cgkoko - Ok, ok!

Rhezz - Ah well, the feet are blocky because they are supposed to work like stampers, turning stuff into rubble and sand as he stomps around at work. Interesting point about the belly - I thought it looked like a really funky head myself while building it :D

I've done some more stuff today - admittedly not too much, but it's something - - - more on that in the post below, stay tuned...

JamesMK
03-24-2004, 08:42 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1704/1704_1080160966_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1704/1704_1080160966_large.jpg)

Added an arm. Not sure if it's fat enough yet... Tweaked the blubber around for a while, it works better now, except for the sideview which isn't quite there yet. Started pulling out a neck and making the hole from the jaw being blown off.

What you don't see here is that I've slowly started to rig him as well, just basic boning of course, but it works rather well so far; letting me adjust the mesh depending on how the deformation flows. Quite an educational process.

BgDM
03-24-2004, 08:45 PM
Excellent update James. I really like the legs. Too much symmetry in them, but I like them.

BgDM

mikepolizos
03-24-2004, 08:47 PM
Looking nice already mate!
Ι've notice that his arm is quite boxy at the lower part but that you are going to fix it I'm sure of it!

I tottaly a agree about the chicken notice!:) :) :)

Keep stuff coming man!
:applause:

rattlesnake
03-24-2004, 08:58 PM
hey James, i think the feet looks better, about the body i have to say that is looking good but i think that u should relax the mesh a bit (sorry talking in Max lenguage hope is ok), in the side view you can see a bit square some parts instead of rounded, hope im explaning my self, if im not clear please let me know, and i will try to explain better, maybe if i use a translator is better, ohh, the arm looks good for me, good job friend :thumbsup:

flyingP
03-24-2004, 09:02 PM
Hmmm... does sort of have something chicken-ish about it :surprised

JamesMK
03-24-2004, 10:16 PM
BgDM : Quite right. The right leg is still a temporary mirrored copy of the left one... Soon enough it will turn into a separate object; then I'll "unsymmetrify" it ( o_O, gosh, what a word....)

mikepol : Well spotted on the lower arm boxyness... I'll make sure to fix that once the hand is attached.

rattlesnake : Nice to hear that about the feet, I wasn't too sure myself. I liked the soft-edge version as well, but it was perhaps a bit on the toony side... Very well. And the sideview of the body, I noticed those annoying corners myself... Relaxing the mesh some more would be a good move (don't worry about the Max-isms, it's perfectly understandable :D )

flyingP: Bwa-Caaack! Gobble-gobble!

If time permits, I want to make a short animation of him (looking like he does now, with no head, though I have to add the other arm first). It will be a short and hot dance act to Hot Chocolate's, "You Sexy Thing" - - - I have seen it inside my head already, and it's hilarious....

flyingP
03-24-2004, 10:38 PM
flyingP: Bwa-Caaack! Gobble-gobble!

Bwa-Caaack! ?????

Bawwwwk bawwwk buk UB40 Bawwk! :D

MikaelPersson
03-24-2004, 10:39 PM
Good progress. I think most things have been covered in the previous posts. I would say that the boxy stomach is the thing bothering me most.
Have you seen him with loose fat, or quite a lot of muscles but still fat? I am just thinking about that groin/stomach adapter. It should probably drag the whole stomach downwards.
The other thing would be his feet, don't you think they should go further behind him? Wont he tip backwards now? Or are you seeing him as crouched forward all the time?

JamesMK
03-24-2004, 10:50 PM
flyingP - Do you remember that thing about extreme violence associated with UB40? :p

Mikael P - Hmm, I've pictured him as having quite a lot of muscles (since he is a hard-working miner) but still fat. It's a bit hard to figure out the result of that combination actually.... Anyway, you make good observations, and I see I will have to make further tweaks - un-boxifying (!?) and increase the saggyness of the lower belly, presumably. About the weight distribution::.. I honestly haven't given that any thought yet. Remind me again later if I seem to be slipping :D

MikaelPersson
03-24-2004, 10:53 PM
Yes I will. Actually I was thinking that you needed to make the feet slightly bigger (extruding them backwards). But as usual I assumed the person I spoke to could read my mind.

JamesMK
03-24-2004, 10:59 PM
Mikael P - :beer: I still haven't managed to acquire the power of mindreading... darn it... I'll ask for my money back... Anyway - extruding the feet backwards: I feel they might appear a bit too big then (they are indeed supposed to be quite large and heavy, but there's a limit somewhere...) What about moving the point of connection to the tip of the shin forwards a bit, in effect moving the whole foot backwards in relation to the body?

On the other hand, he probably will be crouched forwards most of the time, but a guy like that needs to rest sometime too, and I wouldn't want him to fall backwards everytime he tries to straighten out a bit :)

DimitrisLiatsos
03-24-2004, 11:00 PM
:bounce: I don't know in Cinema4D but ...for example in Max u can choose a vertex and aplly soft selection area around it before u pull it in a direction...if u do something like that in the front part of the belly area u will delete the flatness in the front part of belly...any other stuff have already been pointed out...

In addition i just want to say that i like your idea and i am waiting to see where u are heading with your creation , looking good so far...so.....so...update !!!!:bounce:

MikaelPersson
03-24-2004, 11:05 PM
I know. The thought about them getting to big did cross my mind too. But moving the whole foot backwards just slightly I think is a good way to go. I mean humans look quite unbalanced if standing straight too. Not much of a heel to counter us falling backwards.

JamesMK
03-24-2004, 11:06 PM
Dimitris : I see your idea about soft selection tweaking there... C4D actually doesn't have that, but it is easy enough to emulate it using a single bone for instance. That aside, I usually throw in an FFD deformer at this point - given enough controlpoints it usually does the trick for the final shaping .

I Just need to see what I should change topologically first, then I'll try to violently force it into a better shape.

EDIT:

Mikael P wrote: [i]" I mean humans look quite unbalanced if standing straight too. Not much of a heel to counter us falling backwards."
- - - A yea. That's why they invented skiing I think :D

CLONEOPS
03-24-2004, 11:07 PM
oh god .THE Ultimate beer belly, finest ale on the asteroid.

here's a fine example.

ready... set...go. (http://www.bigfatbaby.com/belly-new.cfm)

JamesMK
03-24-2004, 11:10 PM
CLONEOP : WAAH! OMG! Now THAT's what I call guts - it's pouring out all over the place! :D

Virtuoso
03-24-2004, 11:11 PM
Nice start on the modeling..............My take for the moment is that him being a miner and having muscle you should show some muscle popping through......Just a touch,as most of it is covered with fat..................I think that more fat rolls of flab should be prevalent as well......................You are not far off.It's looking good.But it's a WIp.so let's see you egt a bit closer to perfection...................i'll be watching................:cool: :beer:

DimitrisLiatsos
03-24-2004, 11:16 PM
@CLONEOPS ....ROFLAMO...hahahaha!!!:bounce:

splotch
03-24-2004, 11:39 PM
hey ... wonderful
i love it the model looks nice .. the mummy style clothes around his thy looks nice
more details and it will come magnificent..
what is the pipe down there

hehehe

Mathias
03-24-2004, 11:51 PM
great stuff!
ohman I wouldn't want to amputate THAT for any machinery, regardless of it's usefullness.. :p
looks really promising... keep it up!

Mathias

JamesMK
03-25-2004, 12:08 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1704/1704_1080173291_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1704/1704_1080173291_large.jpg)

Several tweaks as a result of some excellent feedback previously! Some mesh cleaning, a bit of push/pull and a big fat FFD session. Certainly better now, imo: thanks to y'all!

That concludes today's session. I have to sleep a little now. :D

rattlesnake
03-25-2004, 12:28 AM
yes, much better , good job on fixin that:thumbsup:

imscifi
03-25-2004, 01:04 AM
Lookin sweet! Walter said you should throw some blood on the banages when time comes... for the coloring...

*slurp* coolaid anyone?

also his groin adapter looks like it weighs a lot. :surprised

keep it up cowboy bunny!

Phugative
03-25-2004, 02:30 AM
Looks good man, but check your anatomy, what happened to his ribcage, for example. Grab some reference of chubby folks and tweak the mesh.
Keep forging ahead!

CLONEOPS
03-25-2004, 02:33 AM
Man he sure has got a flat ass,looks like a deflated jelly bean, with all that work in the mine he should have ....
wait for it...........
......................... buns o' steel.
Just kidding, maybe just puff em up a bit.
I liked the face- looking belly ,reminded me of the Mr potatoe head toy.

peachstapler
03-25-2004, 03:22 AM
peachstapler likes what peachstapler sees

JamesMK
03-25-2004, 08:26 AM
Virtuoso - I'll see what can be done in terms of more muscles. I find it a bit difficult to put my finger on the exact features of a fat/muscle equilibrium... We'll see...

Splotch, Mathias, rattlesnake, peachstapler - Thanks for your comments!

imscifi - Yeaps, blood on the bandages is on the list. I think I mentioned it somewhere back on page 4 or something... :) Incidently, one of my dogs ran straight into my face yesterday, and I got a nosebleed - as I try to think ahead here, I actually saved a gob of blood on a tissue for reference later. It's all dried up now, and looks EXACTLY like I want it :D ... almost black, but shiny, where it's thickly layered, dark crimson red towards the thinner edges. Yummy.

Phugative - Will look into the ribcage issue. What would you say is particularly off concerning that specific part of his anatomy?

CLONEOPS - I'll see how he looks with "buns of steel" :D For now I just wanted something saggy - and to be honest I haven't paid much attention to the ass in question since it won't be visible in the final image anyway... But for the sake of completeness; I'll look into it (not literally though, wouldn't want sound like a proctologist....)

- - - - - - - - - - -

I might postpone further adjustments to the torso itself for a while now. Feel I should move on to the rest of the character, then come back for a second run across all parts in need of tweaking. I should fix the other arm, his head and the rest of his mechanic features - - - In addition, there is the second character, the bunnyman, to consider as well, and I don't want my schedule to lag behind...

Updates coming up later.

polybuilder
03-25-2004, 10:51 AM
Your updates are coming on nice:buttrock:

.....I'd like to see this one movin'.....

I.....I don't know if I'll be entering the comp :hmm: , as I don't have any ideas yet..... Any whoo.... I'll check back later:beer:

MikaelPersson
03-25-2004, 02:52 PM
Looking a lot better. I think the sagging of his stomach is enough by now.
I still think the folds of fat on his body are a bit hard. Maybe you should create overlap of fat. Not separete pieces of flesh which nicely fits together.
Are you going to create something on his knee to attach that lower leg to?

JamesMK
03-25-2004, 03:09 PM
polybuilder : Thanks, and if you come up with something, do enter yourself. Lots of fun and plenty of time left.

Mikael P : Some overlaps could add a certain 'schwung' to it I guess... It might possibly also mean the horrors of intersecting polys o_O - we'll see... maybe as a last step to finish him permanently. And about the knees: not sure yet. My initial plan was that the lower metal leg has been screwed tightly to the remaining stump of the shinbone (?) below the knee, and it would in practice not need any extra gadgets. On the other hand there may be stylistic needs for some sort of contraption there to increase believability... Do you feel it needs a little something there?

swadepgh
03-25-2004, 03:15 PM
JamesMK this is looking great! You are halfway through modeling and I have yet to produce even a rough concept sketch. Ah well. The fat guy's butt sticking out in the side view is great. Very convincing.

Keep it up! :thumbsup:

MikaelPersson
03-25-2004, 03:16 PM
Yes I think so.
Right now it looks very temporary. His lower leg looks so powerful so you would assume he needs something extra to keep it attached while working.
I think you can get away with a lot of intersection when it comes to fat. As long as the renders look ok it is ok.

tsunami4you
03-25-2004, 03:17 PM
nice feet!
but more detail on the body like mucles(as they said) and give him that faty look!

JamesMK
03-25-2004, 03:23 PM
swadepgh : Thanks, and there's no rush you know. Some 80 days to go still. And his butt in particular is still under investigation :) though I'm glad you like it.

Mikael P : I'll take your word for it. I think I know just what to do about it... Thanks for your forthrightness.

tsunami4you : I'm on it! I'm on it.... Dang, you're a fickle bunch... :D

grstovell
03-25-2004, 03:33 PM
hey james!!! This looks awesome!
No wonder you said there was still plenty of time... boy, you're fast!

I do agree with Michael P. - the femur is a strong bone... but strong enough to carry those things??? Not sure. (I know I'm going to regret the anatomical pickiness with my guts-hanging-out-entry!)

-g

Antropus
03-25-2004, 04:08 PM
Very funny concept man :)
The final thing will be great! Keep it up.

Kris

imscifi
03-25-2004, 11:03 PM
so his ass is still under investigation... ROFL....

*ouch!* ... can I ask as to why?....!!!!

I like the beer gut... (nice one CLONEOPS)

well, you need to post more... I'm getting impatient... why are you taking so long... *foot tapping very irradicly*

ahem.

CLONEOPS
03-25-2004, 11:59 PM
JamesMK
i just did a musli on my screen over your ass comments ..man oh man
bent over laughing and actually friikking pulled a thorasic muscle. you owe me a bottle of extra strenght tylenol baby.
have not laughed that hard since jim carrey popped out that fake rhinoes exit hole.
god it hurts.
zuper zinged.ouch.ouch

..speaking of doctors and such ,i think the cheap docs
just jam that tamper right into the bone ,could be a cup and side straps, but your screw-in idea would be stronger.

:beer:

TheFirstAngel
03-26-2004, 12:11 AM
Oh, for sense of realism, I could imagine the older mineworkers (ok, doubts, if they get old in your world, lets say more used) have a hunchback from heavy work, and the weight of the growin adapter pulls down the flewsh in time more between the (l)eggs.
Poor minefolks. Funny bone. Wabbit. muahahahaa ... great work in progress man :beer: :wip: http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0304/spezial/Fool/tnpe.gif

JamesMK
03-26-2004, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by CLONEOPS have not laughed that hard since jim carrey popped out that fake rhinoes exit hole.
Incidently, the first time I saw that particular scene, I swear my rectum seemed to prolapse from all that hardcore laughing.... kidding! I think...

imscifi : The investigation is still on due to very different opinions regarding the shape and gravitational effects of/on the anatomical detail in question. Snicker.

Da REV : Femur schmemur... No, I agree. I'm building a reinforcing device as we speak...

Antropus : Thanks a lot! The progress is in... er... progress!

1stAngel : Umm, I think we are getting a green light for the hunchback idea.... Yes, groundcontrol says A-OK on hunchback.

Probably no updates today unfortunately! Been busy doing other things... Any day now... *crickets chirping while tumbleweed squishily bounces across the scene*

rattlesnake
03-26-2004, 02:02 AM
hey James, heres some reference for your bloody clothes, hope it works
http://www.geocities.com/lescaleimages/blood.txt

JamesMK
03-26-2004, 10:49 AM
rattlesnake thingy : Whoa, that's one perfect ref, mate... just the kind of look I'm going for on the bandages (with some extra high concentration of gore where the metal shin comes out through the knee... ouch)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

N E W S F L A S H :::... [insert silly musical intro here]

I've decided to withdraw from the challenge.

KIDDING! :D No, I'll just officially declare that there will not be any updates here until sunday or monday. My daughter is celebrating her 7th birthday, and I've promised to try and stay away from my trusty piece-of-turd PC for the weekend.

So no nagging or bugging now, you buggers :p

[even sillier extro here] [switch to commercials]

rattlesnake
03-26-2004, 11:36 AM
Hey CONGRATULATIONS TO YOUR DAUGHTER!:wip: :applause:
http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0304/party/party-smiley-015.gif

imscifi
03-26-2004, 12:32 PM
Happy b-day to her
Happy b-day to her
I hope she has a good one!
Happy b-day to her!

and may she have many more!!!!!!!!

"Wow, 7 is old enough for her to start realizing that her daddy is slightly twisted. "- Walter (he says happy b-day as well!)

splotch
03-26-2004, 01:44 PM
haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaapy birthday to your Daughterhappppppppy birthday

flyingP
03-27-2004, 08:51 PM
time to clean out the PM mail box's James

JamesMK
03-28-2004, 01:15 AM
rattlesnake, imscifi, splotch : Thanks a lot guys! She got the message, and liked it.

Imscifi, tell Walter that he seems to be a man of many insights... :D

flyingP : The beer was even tastier than I first thought it would be!

I got a touch of spare time already today, so I've made a couple of additions to the legs - coming up below in a few secs::..

JamesMK
03-28-2004, 01:16 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1704/1704_1080436562_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1704/1704_1080436562_large.jpg)

Increasing the complexity of the mechanical legs a bit here. Also added an extra support-rail to prevent the femur from breaking up.

rattlesnake
03-28-2004, 01:20 AM
u promised!:D , allweekend!
ok, really nice update, looks very cool, the metalic look shuld be very rusty, cos the blood and so, im imagining, nice work!, or maybe not too rusty the will look better not sure, any way it rocks:thumbsup:

EmpY
03-28-2004, 01:47 AM
Super! In the beginning I thought feet were to flat for
mining enviroment but not now, quite opposite. Details
change everything, in fact whole character seems quite
stable now. Sugestion, make something broken on
one leg (hydraulic liquid burst from one of these suport
thingies or somthn'). :thumbsup:

creativer
03-28-2004, 05:27 AM
Very cool! Great modelling!

CLONEOPS
03-28-2004, 05:48 AM
WAY way way way better!!
than a pair of Nikes..hahahah
I wanna pair !!
no Swoooosh more like a
Thummmmmmmmmp! Thummmmmmmmmp!
I wanna pair !!
I wonder what that logo would look like.
Swoosh with a gaussian blur maybe.
i cannot really see clearly in pic but,maybe lousy eyesight on may part.....
-put some screw slots on the side braces nuts, or hex head
torx keys holes. and needs like a quick- release mechanism
on top set of bolts for if he will ever take off the lower parts or whatever...an el -handle or tap handle?
knee pads look perfect for when he is groveling at the feet of
corporation supervisor during the daily harrasement/happy hour sessions or in the lunch line begging for scraps from the
middle management types.
-could the kneepads be a little springy so he can bounce to his feet when his masters casually bludgeon him over and over again during coffe breaks.

-don't you ever lose that rabbit !!!
Happy seventh to the daughter,family, mom and dad.
Best wishes. hope you had all the cake and treats you could handle,and that the wishes of the little one come true.
:)

TheFirstAngel
03-28-2004, 06:01 AM
I think mess em up will be done easy with displacements later. The feet look very cool. Sorry for have missed that:
http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0304/spezial/Fool/poze.gifhttp://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0304/spezial/Fool/leb.gifHAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! from me too!!!!

CLONEOPS
03-28-2004, 06:13 AM
before i forget...are these hummers
air powered,gas powered battery- self contained,or just springys?

splotch
03-28-2004, 08:39 AM
nice going James grate work
BTW. what is the purpose of that mechanic coming out of the bottom of the abdomen ??? :shrug:
good luck friend

flyingP
03-28-2004, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by splotch
what is the purpose of that mechanic coming out of the bottom of the abdomen ??? :shrug:
good luck friend

Probably for making scrambled eggs :eek:

CLONEOPS
03-28-2004, 09:16 AM
10,000 views here right on the money.dang that was fast.
i snagged it.
cheap thrills.

polybuilder
03-28-2004, 11:33 AM
this is lookin more complete now james, I knew there was something missing from these legs....:bounce:

Some one mentioned something about rust.... I don't think this is a good idea... maybe a little dirt and some blood on the bandages... lookin forward to seeing more... am... ye

Later:beer:

Crovex
03-28-2004, 01:38 PM
nice modeling, the more details the more it'll become real.
looks good.

ivo D
03-28-2004, 03:50 PM
happy birthday!:D looking nice man:D

uo got your legs fixed allright..

im gonna nail them to this comming week

JamesMK
03-28-2004, 06:03 PM
rattlesnake : Almost all weekend.... :rolleyes: I'll go for dirt and grease, but not a lot of rust probably.

EmpY : Thanks - and a good idea to include some broken bits. Lets just hope I can remember it long enough... :D

creativer : Thanks!

CLONEOPS : There's been heaps of cakes - no hurling yet... Good idea about a quick release mechanism... and torx... I love torx screwheads. Logo: not decided anything yet; swooshes are in anyway.... Oh, and everything is powered with compressed air. I'm going to add the compressor, engine and tubing soon enough.

1stAngel : I'll probably bump things up a bit once I get to the texturing... thanks for the balloons, they have been forwarded to the cake-filled recipient!

splotch : Thanks - the groin adapter (kindly provided by "Pubic NME Inc." in Texas) is mainly used to drive mining tools such as small drills and so on.... oh, and scrambled eggs - (flyingP must have seen the blueprints somewhere :D

polybuilder : Blood and dirt is what I've planned. And grease. Perhaps diesel oil too. :)

Crowex : Right on. I tend go over the models in several passes, adding and tweaking incrementally somehow.

Ivo D : Thanks, and thanks! Good luck making your legs later on.

BgDM
03-28-2004, 07:08 PM
Looking good James! Nice details.

BgDM

ParadiseFlyBird
03-29-2004, 07:07 AM
Hey JamesMK.... ive been looking in to your thread every couple days .... your doing some good work here man.... you have made a good progression from your concepts to what you now have...
cant wait to see more man... i dont see any flaws .... keep going man...

Lemog
03-29-2004, 07:20 AM
Nice creative work :thumbsup:

Cartesius
03-29-2004, 08:04 PM
Ohhhh, I like those legs! The belly looks almost obscene, though ;)

/Anders

JamesMK
03-29-2004, 08:16 PM
Cartesius : Yeah, just wait until I make the animated run-cycle *boing boing schwing* - Waahaa! - No, honestly, I was thinking about that exact thing while sitting on the bus today... I was chuckling quite loudly for a second, and I have to assume that the rest of the passengers concluded I was totally out of my mind.... :rolleyes:

BgDM, ParadiseFlyBird. Lemog : Thanks doodz. :thumbsup:

JamesMK
03-29-2004, 09:37 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1704/1704_1080596251_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1704/1704_1080596251_large.jpg)

Merely adding some tubes here to supply compressed air to the mechanics of the legs and feet.

pigwater
03-29-2004, 09:47 PM
that's lookin sweet :thumbsup: .. almost makes me wanna chop off my own legs so i can get a pair

Lemog
03-29-2004, 09:56 PM
superb details, as I like them...

...and much of attention, so that that can function :applause:

MikaelPersson
03-29-2004, 10:11 PM
That is looking nice James. A very good start on a metal shader. Might I sugest a bit more variation. Now everything there looks to be of the same material. You could merely vary the spacing of that bump. What is your thought about those bandages? Is it bandages or metal? Maybe put a cloth material on it instead? Or have you already thought about all this and I am merely stating obvious things?

Virtuoso
03-29-2004, 10:34 PM
Very nice james...............Update has brought things up another notch.It's going well.Plus your attitude and passion is just wonderful..........Keep up the very nice work.:beer: :thumbsup:

JamesMK
03-29-2004, 10:49 PM
pigwater : You don't wanna do that... they may perhaps look cool, but they are INCREDIBLY uncomfortable :D

Lemog : Well, starting to think about functionality automatically provides the need for some neat details - so it's a win-win situation.

Mikael P : Thanks - but I honestly haven't spent much time with those shaders yet. I'm still in 100% modeling mode. But as you say, these may be at least a good start for some focused texturing later on. Oh, and the bandages will be cloth - that's really a type of material I haven't mastered yet, so it will be interesting to see what I can make of it when the time comes. Happily procrastinating now :)

Virtuoso : Thank you, Obi-Wan - right back at'ya. I hope you haven't lost your momentum... Want to see your updates too, you know...

- - - - - - - - - - -

I might get back to refining and extending the organics tomorrow. Feels like I've had enough of mech modeling for a while now. There's at least one head and one hand to make.....

Laters!

CLONEOPS
03-30-2004, 02:32 AM
Wimpy little front shock thingys cheaply made looks weak.
Made for butterflies- oh so delicate!
Not 100% solid True Blue Industrial
can take a licking type,,must upgrade fastest ,quick before fall apart.
You need special import, out of secret factory,just came in last night.
Sell to you cheap ..no tax ,no tariff.
2 pair special discount.
Heres my card ..we take cash.We deliver to all the asteroid moons in your system.

self edited -

raiyan
04-01-2004, 05:05 PM
heyyyyyyy,
nice rendering.
'bout the model : i was under the impression that miner had this thick musclebound arms, something that visually say , "skull cracking" . The leg is nice though, but without the strong physical impression, i can put this character as:

a long jumper
a war vet
a handicapped guy patched with prosthetic
a hernia...........ouch.... just kidding :)

but i definitely like the details, it's super ! super !

:buttrock:

keep up the good work!! :bowdown:

JamesMK
04-01-2004, 05:18 PM
Well, since it was bumped and all....

What I gather from CLONEOPS and raiyan (thanks a lot for your feedback by the way) is that you want PHAT stuff :D

I can agree with that, and I'll see what I can do.

Currently I've found myself having very little spare time to work on this thing, that's why there haven't been any updates the last few days. I've mainly just dabbled with a few head designs, none of which turned out any good... so, later!

dlofgreen
04-01-2004, 07:24 PM
I am really enjoying your work here. I love to watch your progression from concept to modeling. Keep it up.

JamesMK
04-01-2004, 11:50 PM
dlofgreen - Thank you! More to follow...........

Here's the start of my base mesh for the heads (the fat guy and the bunny man, remember?)- - - I've tried sort of a new approach here (it's new for me at least), and it seems to be working out fine.

So far I'm very happy about the mouth, but the nose needs some more work. I can't add any more geometry for the eyes at this point, as this is to be considered the base mesh, and my two characters will have very different eyes.

http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1704/1704_1080863427_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1704/1704_1080863427_large.jpg)

JamesMK
04-02-2004, 04:50 PM
Wabbit is now java enabled::..

http://biphome.spray.se/millfield/awabbit.jpg

flyingP
04-02-2004, 05:34 PM
Waaaaaahhahahahaha!

OK I'm a believer :D

Virtuoso
04-02-2004, 08:34 PM
And we have a face.......And soon a model to reckon with.So far so very good.I think I can use some of that "Java" james.....So pass it through your monitor please.Thanks.....;)

Now get back to work.This guy needs the rest of his face...............:thumbsup: :beer:

JamesMK
04-02-2004, 09:12 PM
flyingP : Told you so! :D

Virtuoso : Way ahead'a'ya, pal! Base mesh done now. I've got rather an old monitor, pre coffee-over-IP technology, so I'm afraid I can't fulfil your request :) If you're ever in my neighbourhood however, just stop by and I'll fix you up with some freshly killed beanzzz.

..:: Oh, and the update below - - - This is the completed base mesh for the heads of my two guys, Echo and The Bunnyman. Further adjustments are not necessary as those will be made individually for each of the characters. I didn't bother with any ears as they will wear ear protection like all responsible miners. The eyes are very different between the two co-workers, so they will also be made individually. The rest is hopefully generic enough to handle the modifications to come.

http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1704/1704_1080940320_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1704/1704_1080940320_large.jpg)

Yep, it's your average head geometry. Fairly generic as far as details go.

lukx
04-02-2004, 09:27 PM
Go James, Go !

TheFirstAngel
04-02-2004, 10:28 PM
Bhahahahaha, Deus Wabbit est! Looojaaah! hahaha

Hey the head looks GREEEEAT!
I suggest to let this be the tiniest of the guys, some sort of the one who always get the food as the last one. And the other one really fat. and deadly hurt. So it will look more hopeless, when the thin guy is draging the fat one towards the exit...
Teeeears, what a drama :cry:

Great work mate, keep on rockin James!!!:buttrock: :beer:

JamesMK
04-03-2004, 07:14 AM
lukx : I'm going, I'm going!

1st Angel : That's exactly my plan. Thin guy tries to drag large guy out though he is most certainly game over, dead meat!

More stuff to come in about 16 hours from now [beep]

Crovex
04-03-2004, 01:23 PM
Hey, I love the grainy look of the legs a lot. I hope you'll incorporate that in the final render.

JamesMK
04-03-2004, 01:26 PM
Crovex : I think the look will remain more or less like that, but I will still have to "clothify" that shader a little bit more for the final look... But, yeap, I'll try to keep the grainy quality somehow.

eirenicon
04-03-2004, 06:24 PM
Hi James! Solid work so far, interesting concept. The nose on your head model looks a little off, though, especially on the fold at the side. I'd like to take a look at the topography, mind posting a closer look?

JamesMK
04-03-2004, 06:41 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1704/1704_1081017678_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1704/1704_1081017678_large.jpg)

A closeup on the nose topology.

Tim - Thanks! And, yup, the nose isn't quite there. I'll probably clean it up on the individual detailed heads since the nose (along with a lot of other features) will be pretty modified at that point anyway.

eirenicon
04-03-2004, 07:52 PM
Well, I'm not too hot at explaining things in words, so maybe this can help you out.

http://timothyd.com/host/projects/jamesmkpaintover.jpg

The nose of my model isn't quite finished either, so it's not the best example (and I don't claim to be a great modeler either), but I think it serves this purpose. It smooths nicely, in any case.

JamesMK
04-03-2004, 09:05 PM
Oh, nice illustration there, mate!

I'll definitely see what I can do to fix this up. I'd say that my standard modeling is at a state where I'm happy to get the main loops somewhat OK-ish... :D I really appreciate that you've taken some time to have such a close look at this.

:bowdown:

JamesMK
04-03-2004, 11:44 PM
If you ever wondered how the offspring from Orson Welles and Jabba the Hut would look like - here's the answer:

http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1704/1704_1081035877_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1704/1704_1081035877_large.jpg)

Created from the previous base mesh using FFD:s, magnet tool and ordinary low-level poly editing. Fixed the nose topology (thank you Tim), not exactly as suggested perhaps, but it was undeniably improved.

More detailing remains - stitching the eyelids together, ripping off the jaw and so on. I just wanted a decent fat head to start with - messing it up later!

ilasolomon
04-04-2004, 12:31 AM
It's nice, Jim!:thumbsup:

eirenicon
04-04-2004, 12:36 AM
Now that's a huge improvement over your last post! I can feel the emotion coming through from that big guy already. Excellent stuff, looking forward to more.

flyingP
04-04-2004, 08:34 AM
piggy likey :thumbsup:

rattlesnake
04-04-2004, 08:48 AM
thats a nice head, cant wait to see the details youre going to add, youre an all pro no doubt:thumbsup:

Virtuoso
04-04-2004, 10:39 AM
Yes,yes the love child of "Orson Welles and Jabba the Hut ".....................They should be so lucky.Nice start james to what I "Know" will be a very nice model................:thumbsup: :beer:

imscifi
04-04-2004, 01:59 PM
James James James.... WOW! Your modeling is really coming along! I'm totally digging that head! Scary looking!

As for those gears and such... I'll have rabit for dinner if you show another groin screen shot like that! so exactly what kinda gear fits on there? Uh... how bout a drill! and the guy was a some kind of rapist... and so he had to mine by "banging" or "grinding" his way into the wall, without getting any satisfaction? ehh... just a thought...

and nice mug! I have to admit... that's looks really nice! Java enabled :surprised:... hope you like Java!:D

JamesMK
04-04-2004, 02:34 PM
Mr Soleimani : Thanks a lot!

Timothy : Glad you like it. Your instructional effort previously was a great help while cleaning up the nose :thumbsup:

flyingP : Good piggy!

rattlesnake : Thx dude, I'm not sure about the "all pro" bit... nah, I'm just faking it :D

Virtuoso : Yup, we are all glad we didn't have to see the exact event leading to his conception... oh, the horror!

imscifi : Your imagination is certainly along the same line as mine... you sicko :D But a drill is sooo on the list. He will have sort of a backpack on with various interchangable tools for the adapter. MORE CLOSEUPS COMING :D Just wait for his finished "hero pose" render further down the road - he will "rise to the occasion" while banging away deep down in the mines of Ceres.... *waaahaahaa!*

TheFirstAngel
04-04-2004, 03:30 PM
Meeeeee sa like that soooo much !!!!! wohooo!

EmpY
04-04-2004, 03:42 PM
[B]lukx : I'm going, I'm going!

1st Angel : That's exactly my plan. Thin guy tries to drag large guy out though he is most certainly game over, dead meat!

More stuff to come in about 16 hours from now

If you pull that moment in time (game over, dead meat) in final
pic (very documentary feel to it) it's going to be even more fantastic!!! That's how I see it, Really exciting!!!

:cool:

CLONEOPS
04-04-2004, 11:05 PM
The fat bastard head model has great character features
I was hoping for the more slightly off angle squarish
sloped head that gently flows into his shoulder on one side like in your sketch.,but this guy definately looks like he fits he bill.
-needs a slight little more eyebrow socket and temple dimple?.the eyes slit looks a little to curvy or is that a stitch line.
-of course will have scars and dents?

Atwooki
04-05-2004, 09:35 AM
Hey James!
The big guys head's coming along nicely :)
I'd like to see the area between his eye )on the bridge of his nose pushed backwards quite a bit, to help enhance his brow-line....then again, this could be the effect you were after.
Also, getting some form into the corners of his lips (loose, fatty muscles) would help the guy, I think - all the stitching might well override these details, in which case, I'll shut-up, but thought it would add a little oomph to his bulky physiognomy...

Can't wait to see the stiches in place, man:)

Atwooki

JamesMK
04-05-2004, 11:25 AM
1st Angel : Thanx, mate!

EmpY : I really hope I'll manage to capture that emotion somehow... I'll probably have to organise a photo shoot to get a good reference... A lot of weight distribution and dragging that needs to be spot on for it to look good :hmm:

CLONEOPS : Agreed on the socket and temple, will tweak some more. The eye slit is a stitch line and will be messed up some more along the way... And I made him sort of off angle squarish at first, to match my sketch, but it didn't quite work that well in 3D... Maybe that kind of anatomy only looks cool in a messy pencil sketch... Scars and damages coming up next.

Atwooki : I certainly agree about the eye socket/nose bridge thing. I noticed that too when looking back at the image above... No need to shut up :) - It's on the tweak list. The lips will most likely look entirely different once I've ripped his jaw off, so I'll save any adjustments for later. Stitches about to be applied in the next update.

JamesMK
04-05-2004, 11:10 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1704/1704_1081203053_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1704/1704_1081203053_large.jpg)

Just messing up the eyes a bit. I think I need some more wrinkles too, but then again there's the question about how much will be visible in the final pose...

DimitrisLiatsos
04-05-2004, 11:17 PM
:bounce: Oh my God!!! this is scary....but i like scary:scream:

:bounce:

Hellsp4wn
04-05-2004, 11:20 PM
Heh.... heh.... heh....
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH :surprised:

That's a great model
Keep it up
:beer: :thumbsup: :beer:

flyingP
04-05-2004, 11:22 PM
:scream:

Arrrgghhh that is ugly, although in a VERY COOL way, nice work wabbit :thumbsup:

rattlesnake
04-05-2004, 11:41 PM
wow, i thought i was the psycho, but this is really nasty!! and perfectly done, good job James!

CLONEOPS
04-06-2004, 02:11 AM
bitchin stichin....can you continue one stitch a little into his
temple or BEYOND... nah looks great!! black is in i hear.
he's got great skin tone for a barfed out human on his last legs,almost like a coppertone glow, greenish yet not to yellow, a fashionable sallow sort of puke kaki .
he"s not showing the ever popular blackish eye tones but i"m sure with a touch here an there, he soon to be too sexy for the 'roid.
- a little knot real tight in the corner of the eyes ?
or really ,really, tight stiches ?-so much that it's like
it draws his belly button up 6 inches....hahahaha.
foo-blubulosity here.....
he's on an infra link, right?or has a seeing eye rat.

i'v been bugged about who FB looks like, and it finally perked to the surface...
moovie:KELLY's HEROES 19- blah blah
army guys, donald sutherland/good hippy tank guy,clint eastwood!,don rickles,guy from the love boat? the captain..,
anyway final scene ... a ss german guy that pops out of the opposing tank to help the allies crak a bank with his tiger tank......and he is freakyish white, squinty ,and has...get this
.....angela jolienes' lips...Ahhhhhhhhhhh! but more loose wet ,flabby and evil and wormy looking.
-his name must be deiter!

splotch
04-06-2004, 10:44 AM
hey James,
you are really tough , you start to fright me ... why did you do that this man he is your friend "isn't he" you sewed his eyes??
:buttrock:

nice thinking man I love the idea ... keep the good work
have fun man and keep rocking

slinki
04-06-2004, 12:50 PM
Dude this is great stuff man.really coming along.those stitches are starting to hurt my eyes looking at them.nice one:applause: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

imscifi
04-06-2004, 01:03 PM
Now that's what I call

mmmmm SEXEY!

who you calling a sicko!

*ahem*

what can I say, your work is beautiful... *sigh* :love:

JamesMK
04-06-2004, 01:10 PM
EDIT::: imscifi : What have I told you about posting while I'm busy writing a reply!? Dammit! :D And he is a sexy beast, isn't he? Hot damn.

Dimitris : Mmmm... hard to stay away from scary... I like it too much as well.

Hellsp4wn : Thanks, it's coming along... slowly...

flyingP : Ugly is the ticket. Right now anyway. I just used my mirror as usual...

rattlesnake : But.. but...? You ARE the psycho! I'm merely an apprentice.

CLONEOPS : Good ideas. I'll probably put more stitches towards the temple, and a knot is obviously a good thing to have there... I'll wait a little longer for those details though, since he is still in symmetry mode. Once I break that, I can go wild on his poor old head.

splotch : Well, you know... I think it was Sting who said it first: "if you love somebody, stitch their eyes together" - - - I may have misheard that bit though....

slinki : Hey, I'm glad your eyes are starting to hurt! :D Uh, I mean... yeah, you know...

Virtuoso
04-06-2004, 01:12 PM
I think we should keep all sharp instruments away from you james.................Well at least for a few hours...........Look what you have done to poor ol' fat boy..........;)

You are quite the wicked one.but wicked is always cool.;) ........................Perhaps you can have a couple stitches ripping open or apart.Spreading enough that you can still see some of the eye underneath in a spot or two.You will still get the wickedness of the stitch work and still get some of the "Windows to the soul" the eyes to be seen..............Perhaps some goo/pus infected filmy slime covering the eyes where you can get a small glimpse of the eyes................Ok just shooting some thoughts your wicked way.....................:thumbsup: :beer:

JamesMK
04-06-2004, 01:13 PM
Whoa, great ideas Virtuoso.... Just gimme those sharp instruments and I'll get cracking... Later tonight. He he he.

Designer2
04-06-2004, 05:35 PM
great modeling James, how are you planning to make him see, he is now already blind, scary look he has.

:applause: great so far.:wavey:

JamesMK
04-06-2004, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Designer2
how are you planning to make him see, he is now already blind

He will have a camera integrated in his right ear protection thingy (cam to be wet-wired into his brain of course). A good thing is of course the fact that such a camera can have light amplifying circuits too, which is very handy in a dark mining environment.

Cartesius
04-06-2004, 05:44 PM
That wabbit should have ticked me off, but now I'm certain -- you ARE a psycho! Great stitching! :thumbsup:

/Anders

grstovell
04-06-2004, 07:51 PM
Man! I hadn't seen this for a few days! looks great.

I still agree with Virtuoso... a little eye needs to show. I think.
-g

JamesMK
04-07-2004, 12:22 AM
Cartesius: Thanx, more stitching below :) ::

Rev: (and Virtuoso) - Eyeball showing a bit now ::

http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1704/1704_1081293772_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1704/1704_1081293772_large.jpg)

Extending the stitched seam towards temple. Opened up the eye a bit to reveal the eyeball inside. Started working on the ear protection and its integration (very early WIP status on that one - and it will be partially yellow later on of course :)

InTheCity
04-07-2004, 07:36 AM
Great detail in your models so far. Looking forward to seeing more progress as the next few weeks pass by.

Keep it up and keep in touch.

Lemog
04-07-2004, 07:54 AM
That becomes really frightening, but are really auditive protections ? :D they have to inflict sufferings to him, no :eek:

rattlesnake
04-07-2004, 07:55 AM
yummy!, looks good man, that effect is really creepy:eek:

JamesMK
04-07-2004, 09:11 PM
InTheCity : Thanks man! I'm keeping a close eye on your stuff as well... just so you know :)

Lemog : He he, you're right about that of course. Just think of it as a combination of usefulness and pain infliction in one neat package.

rattlesnake : Yummy indeed! With some real textures later on (these are just temporary things) and a bit of thai sweet chili sauce.... yeah, I see it clearly now.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

THAT ASIDE, I'll slow down a little bit on the updates for a few days now, to ensure that the next one will be more substantial.... stay tuned....

This is a really great day otherwise! The birds are singing, colourful butterflies are flapping around in a generally unordered manner, and I can swear I saw a shimmering fairy passing by just an hour ago, bursting with light, bursting with colour!

I'm losing it! :D ...back to stitching chunks of virtual flesh... must have nice and orderly stitches... focused - nice and orderly... control...

DimitrisLiatsos
04-07-2004, 11:01 PM
This is a really great day otherwise! The birds are singing, colourful butterflies are flapping around in a generally unordered manner, and I can swear I saw a shimmering fairy passing by just an hour ago, bursting with light, bursting with colour!

...:rolleyes: U ARE NUTS too!!!!:rolleyes:

dlofgreen
04-07-2004, 11:11 PM
Looks like that guy got a midnight special for his surgeon! Reminds me of Minority Report. Great stuff keep it coming.
D.

TheFirstAngel
04-08-2004, 12:49 AM
Stitchy itchy witchy evil switchy mad hahaha! Great evil ans super stylish update!
Wicked. wock on wabbit!!!!:beer: :buttrock: :thumbsup:

Virtuoso
04-08-2004, 12:54 AM
Once you start with those stitches you can go forever in the virtual World of stitching..............I like the extended stitching to the temples...........and how they become smaller as they go from the streatched out ones from the eye area.........Nice subtle details like this make a big difference in the end when all is said and done.................Nice James..........:thumbsup: :cool:

ilasolomon
04-08-2004, 01:46 AM
Feed us some bloody gore, man. bloody polygons needed. >:-E

CLONEOPS
04-08-2004, 08:21 AM
i see you got his pussed peeper peekin at people
possibly the peeper could be pushin and almost poppin out
against the stiches. perhaps?

...and personally any brightly colored ,glowing persona that crosses my property line gets tazered .....quicklike!.i don't care what song of joy they be a singing.....
kill it, its probably unnatural.

-we got a green rampage going on here too.everythings all budding .spring.sweet. -better late than never.