PDA

View Full Version : Machineflesh 3D Challenge Entry: James Kaufeldt

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

JamesMK
04-08-2004, 08:34 AM
Thanks y'all guys...... Dimitris, dlofgreen, 1stAngel, Virtuoso, Ila....
You're all a bunch of bastard wankers! :D

CLONEOPS - It is the absolute opposite of a tazer case; unnatural: unlikely, supernatural: perhaps, drug-induced: likely but not the case......... And I'll see if I can sort of swell the eyeball outwards a bit more, might be fun. :thumbsup:

Ila - I'm at T-minus 6 days now on the Sam case :)

ParadiseFlyBird
04-08-2004, 11:01 AM
ahhh jamesMK.... havnt checked in on ya work for a while...
wow man you're really coming along though....one thing though with the peice that go's over the ear you have this bleeding texture under it wouldnt it be great if you modelled flaps of skin over it that would make it look like its really imbedded into his head... anyways enough of me rambelling.... cant wait to see more and keep up the sweet work......

CLONEOPS
04-08-2004, 12:09 PM
"CLONEOPS - It is the absolute opposite of a tazer case..."

ahhhhh one of those !-...sorry a little slow.
i've have been forced occasionly to play old ladies and have tea parties with one, they sure can be insistent sometimes!
truly they do indeed have supernatural powers..
i've got pictures but its really incredibly embarrassing.....
-but it makes me hahaha .always.
-cheers there.

-watch out when they learn aikido......RUN LIKE HELL!!

:beer: ;)

TheFirstAngel
04-09-2004, 03:26 AM
Muahahaha, zuuup mate!?! Happy Wabbitdays and lots nice textured eggiez! Don't try to stitch uncoocked eggs. Dont stitch eggs at all. If i find any Stitched eggs, i know who brought em! Happy Wabbitdays!:bounce: :wavey: :beer:

pigwater
04-09-2004, 06:35 AM
positively got me in stitches waiting for what's next ....:bounce: :bounce:

now just smoother it in ham-hocks.. stick some bacon in his ears and he's done :thumbsup: .. well , maybe not done but really greasey

just to fortify the creepiness that you already got ... great twisted stuff James

deepforest
04-09-2004, 06:42 AM
Really nice concept and model there, also the texture give a strong impressio to me!
Looking forward the next...:buttrock:

harnelbe
04-09-2004, 07:48 AM
Yess!
It seems that you are working on the best miner of this contest !

JamesMK
04-09-2004, 08:25 AM
ParadiseFlyBird, CLONEOPS, the1st_angel, pigwater, deepforest, harnelbe...... the rest of the crew as welllllllll..... thanks, and have a neato easter holiday weekend....er... thingy!

the best miner of this contest
Waahaa! Let me guess: it's the only miner, right? :D Har har har!

I figured out that I only need a dentist's drill to make small enough holes in the eggshell.... then I can stitch those too...

.....been looking at Rorschach inkblots for a few hours.... it has been confirmed that I am not well.... at all.... It's the pain that hurts the most! :D >_< *woo, lip lag on the freeway laughter turning into soft whimpering convulsions crouching in the darkest corner (scared cow-cornered beef, oh ahahaha) back to laughter again hysterical hair on end - hairshirt, need one - what a mind-job - that's the ticket, tickets, tick tock, hairshirt-ticket.... PLEASE MAKE IT STOP!

kmest
04-09-2004, 11:02 PM
whats up doc?i live you little rabbit,and i love your model,it scares me;the eyes.i realy do.

well it's a nice scary,nice model and nice concept.:thumbsup:

:applause: :bounce:

TheFirstAngel
04-10-2004, 08:29 PM
Update, Update... haha, honor the great Wabbit!!!!:beer: :thumbsup: :beer:

JamesMK
04-10-2004, 08:30 PM
It's on its way, dammit.... just give me 20 minutes to finish it up and post!

rattlesnake
04-10-2004, 08:41 PM
ok, ill wait here, just 15 mins left....:D ,
just kidding, take your time man:thumbsup:

JamesMK
04-10-2004, 08:54 PM
OK. So, I've had some sort of strange emotional experience the last few days. Its nature is all black-op hush hush, but at one point I was convinced that it would be a great idea if I could somehow suck the brain out of my skull entirely - that would stop me from thinking.

I didn't go through with it, but it gave me a good idea for my miners. They will become a symbiotic couple, with the bunnyman acting as a compressor, feeding air to the fat guy's pneumatic equipment. So they would need to be connected with some sort of rubber hose. I couldn't get myself to agree with a standard thin tube, so I chose a really fat one instead. The logical place to put it would perhaps be the chest or back - but as a result of my brain-sucking idea, I decided to put it in fatty's head instead. Instead of a Hoover 3000 libido sucker I got a brand new compressed air feed...

Fancy that...

http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1704/1704_1081626850_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1704/1704_1081626850_large.jpg)

More stuff on it. Broken symmetry now, so I'll be able to work separately with left/right detailing.

TheFirstAngel
04-10-2004, 09:10 PM
The tube is evil. very evil, and scary cool. Great update mate!!!

I have a single question, that bugs me since i seen the closeup of his face... does Cinema4d support displacementmaps? if you'd use the bumpmap you made in the displacement as well, your flesh'd become even more scary, cuz you can put in many bumps, veins (good visable, guys that work without daylight get pale), necrotic rotting flesh, hehe, and all painted of course.

Second thought: More seam, over the nose as well. so then it wouuld have been a clean roundcut. Chop chop, chop... brainsurgery, doctor wabbit.

Rock on, wabbit of doom!!! hahaha
:thumbsup: :beer: :buttrock:

JamesMK
04-10-2004, 09:13 PM
C4D does displacement mapping - though not micropoly, only on subdivided meshlevel, so for the finest details you have to go for ordinary bumpmapping.

Once I start texturing, I'll see what can be done in terms of SEVERE DAMAGE :D The shaders I've slapped on now are merely placeholders.

rattlesnake
04-10-2004, 09:18 PM
the idea sounds really nice, but i feel a little strange connecting an air tube to the head, but u answered that already;) , is looking really well James. ill be waiting for your textures man!

CLONEOPS
04-11-2004, 12:21 AM
okay ..if you do ever decide to suck your brain out,
don't just discard it , package it up nicely and send it to
your nearest university or medical lab- universities and medical student are always in need of a few spares to conduct studies on................or fling around in class.
-a brain is a terrible thing to waste.
hehehe......
- no permament damage i hope.

-tube ,connection and,flesh wrinkle /pucker Rock! as is ,but
the tube is a clothes dryer tube..too fat
even a third undersize would look betta.
-looks like mylar sheet plastic.-just needs a more solid? tex.

o- i was assuming the fairy thing wass the birthday girl
dashing about in a costume...my niece used to have a set of stuff she would change into on a daily basis...one day catgirl...next day ballerina.-she makes great fake tea.

JamesMK
04-11-2004, 12:31 AM
rattlesnake : It would seem that the tube thing is a tricky design to accept... I'll leave it as is for the time being, but we'll see how the overall look shapes up when the full character is assembled... Thanks for comments!

CLONEOPS : It would be cool to see ones brain flung around in a classroom, no doubt :D - About the tube, see reply to the snake above, though the idea about another material sounds worth looking into when texturing time comes; perhaps some old linen/canvas-ish stuff could work for instance - About the fairy: nope, it was more mysterious than that, but in general I've had my fair share of imaginary tea too on other occasions. Thanks for peeking!

Virtuoso
04-11-2004, 02:41 AM
Wild and incongruous,a very bizarre fellow,and all the better for it.Unique in it's own right.I like the far fetched left wing feel...............:buttrock: ......................You got to love anything with symbiotic couple's ..................;) ........Nice update James,doing excellent and fresh work here.:thumbsup: :beer:

Lemog
04-11-2004, 07:34 AM
This pipe is a very good idea. I couldn't what make mine yet. I've finally the answer.

I've to do something with the head and the brain of my cloned mother... the experience continue... because it makes keep total control on this brain... :surprised

bip bip bip

JamesMK
04-11-2004, 11:54 PM
Virtuoso, Lemog; thanks for stopping by... Tonight's update, live from KCRW radio (soothing music for all nighthawks out there.... ) ::...

http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1704/1704_1081724040_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1704/1704_1081724040_large.jpg)

Bringing some stuff together... Attached fatso's head to the torso. His first outline didn't look too cool... so despite the look implied by my sketched concept I had to beef him up a bit using a football shoulder pad kit of sorts. I'll stitch that to his flesh later on, probably using some kind of torx bolts, straps and wires.

Lots of tweaking remains to be done.

rattlesnake
04-12-2004, 12:04 AM
the footbal shoulder pads seems to work fine, the way u connnected the legs to the body is great, seems like your character is going to suffer more than my girl LOL:D , legs are amazing, u can give the same weight to his hands(big mechanic hands) what do u think? just an idea, and connect them to the shoulder pads and the elbowls, good job James, the cable looks cool! keep on rocking!!

Antropus
04-12-2004, 12:36 AM
Heya James! Nice update man! The thing started to have form... a disgusting form, but a great work, hahaha :applause:

I hope to see all together in a great final scene my friend!
Keep it up.

Kris

CLONEOPS
04-12-2004, 12:50 AM
LOOKS MASSIVELY great ...
yes the hands would look great with that kind of weight too..i agree.
heavy stompin stuff...just you have to animate him doing
some kinda of tap dance.
-just hijack fred alstair old movie dance steps..
or greg hines...

may have to up the rim on the tube/head connect ..profile is a liittle hard to see..
-how about some sort of a routing frame/bracing for the tube... ...looks too easy to rip out.
shoulders beefier ...thick , thick heavy metal hoist block loops.?
for lifting and maintenance?embedded of course.

-legs look really good from this set back view..

Nexu
04-12-2004, 01:06 AM
good job man, specially the legs... when can you post updates with materials???

:buttrock:

flyingP
04-12-2004, 06:32 AM
oooooooh, nice update James, you know I would love to see this animated afterwards, I think you could have a lot of fun with it. :bounce:

harnelbe
04-12-2004, 08:23 AM
:drool:
whow !! Very nice Update !
i don't know why, but i prfer the expression and proportions of the face when ihe is viewed from the front (the wire view) perhaps the face is a littl bit streched to the front. Rendering of the plastic tube is very well done !
Keep it up !

Martypt
04-12-2004, 09:21 AM
very crazy guy here.Scary too.i think you can put more smooth fat fold here and ther.i like feet,but maybe more round a little.still for me very good crazy style here.:buttrock:

lukx
04-12-2004, 09:31 AM
wow!

Frood
04-12-2004, 09:56 AM
This guy looks flabulous!
:applause:

JamesMK
04-12-2004, 10:00 AM
rattlesnake : Nah, your girl will suffer more... remember that this guy barely has any brain left. Heavy mechanical hands it will be, at least his left hand - the right side is for the big pneumatic drill

Antropus : Thanks, it seems we might share the same fascination for disgusting forms ;)

CLONEOPS : The tap dance is on! Good ideas about the other things - in fact the hoist block loops might come in very handy. They could lift these guys around, hang them from conveyers in the mine ceiling and transport them easily from one place to another

Nexu : Updated materials won't happen until much later I'm afraid... I prefer to set up the final scene and lighting before fixing/tweaking materials, which means...well... distant future...

flyingP : Dead right... he is begging to be doing some groovy moves... All that blubber... camera-quakes as he puts his feet down with a loud "thump" - it's bound to be fun!

harnelbe : I totally agree about the head... It is somewhat stretched in the Z-direction... In the final composition however, his head will be hanging down a bit and be seen in a more frontal perspective - I'll see then if the shape needs fixing. ... ... And I'm waiting in fear for the next update in your thread (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=1213507#post1213507) ;)

Martypt : Thanks - some more smoothness and folds, you say... we'll see what happens next.

lukx : Hi'ya, Lukasz! :wavey:

Frood : Thanks! 'Flabulous' is a great word too :D I think that has to go into my inofficial 'word of the day'...

Geespot
04-12-2004, 01:10 PM
Hi James,
Ive been subscribed to this thread since it started and have watched it progress. And its looking great! :beer: well done

Your skills have improved over time, I have followed all your challenges threads (no im not a stalker :p ) and this by far you best work yet.

Can't wait to see where this ends

Just thought I would say something considering its 18 or so pages deep now :)

JamesMK
04-12-2004, 01:33 PM
Geespot : Ah, thanks dude! And I might as well thank you once again right away because if I didn't have your plugins EasyClone and Tweak4D it would have been twice as much work (at least) making the head and those stitches on fatty's face :)

Aye...

EmpY
04-12-2004, 08:35 PM
Abs dig the symbio connection you described earlier.
Everthing looks great, love the tube!!Just maybe a feet
bases are too wide but, maybe not.
Super, waiting for more!!:buttrock:

JamesMK
04-13-2004, 12:55 AM
EmpY : Thanks!

http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1704/1704_1081814157_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1704/1704_1081814157_large.jpg)

Adding stuff... this is also pretty close to the final viewing angle for Fatty in question. Tube needs a lot of refinement... later

TheFirstAngel
04-13-2004, 04:13 AM
Ahhhh, Its comin together so nicely!!!! Man, you really know how to make creepiest thingyz lookin' awesome!
Great update, Superwabbit!!!http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0304/tiere/animal-smiley-050.gifhttp://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0304/tiere/animal-smiley-050.gifhttp://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0304/tiere/animal-smiley-050.gif

rattlesnake
04-13-2004, 05:46 AM
that last shot is nice, the skar along the head is really frighten, and all the skin modeling looks great too, good job sir!

Virtuoso
04-13-2004, 08:51 AM
Oh a big update.................lot's of progress.Fatty is growing up nicely.............A dark character,really tortured,you have to feel for the poor guy.......................The details are coming along well too.It's quite freaky.....................I would think a camera angle showing more of his tortured face and eyes (Windows to the soul) would work better.But you know more of what is planned for a final shot James..........Just wild,surreal in it's own way.And well done..................:thumbsup: :beer:

Atwooki
04-13-2004, 11:35 AM
Oh, YES! JamesMK - looking magnificent:applause:

those tubes on his haunches are....ouch! inspirational :D
This is really coming together well; I see you've also joined the new-wave of 'big'guy' appreciation on this one:)

Bold, painful and sick; yet beautifully designed - nice work!

Atwooki

JamesMK
04-13-2004, 01:46 PM
sssssnakey, angel : Thanx0rs guys... You're still doing excellent yourselves.... bastards!

Virtuoso : Muchly appreciated - and I'm with you about the eye-camera relationship... I'll make sure he is "looking into the camera" in the final compo.... Great new avatar btw! :applause:

Atwooki : Thank you, sir... Yeah, it's the big guys' turn this time around it seems... Though I'll balance it up with the skinny bunnyman later on!

JamesMK
04-14-2004, 09:31 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1704/1704_1081974714_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1704/1704_1081974714_large.jpg)

Details, details, details...

Fatty is by supposed to be a pneumatic character, so he needs more plumbing. Like the british, he prefers to have it on the outside.

Oh, I gave him a few extra stitches across the nose too, for that nice round-cut sensation (thanks for the idea, 1stAngel!)

EDIT again.... -> Opened up his eye a little more and removed one or two stitches there, doctor Virtuoso's orders :D

Virtuoso
04-14-2004, 09:57 PM
Just what the doctor ordered..............tender loving care by Dr.James.............Wicked character,poor tortured fat soul that he is.........I like the machine parts sewn into the flesh....Very machine flesh.Hardcore machine flesh................Nice again james.......Your work equals your great passion and personality...................:buttrock: :buttrock:

flyingP
04-14-2004, 10:27 PM
:buttrock: :buttrock: ,sorry can't think of anything better to say James, it just keeps getting better!!! rock on :bounce:

Lemog
04-14-2004, 10:50 PM
Yes... what can I said too... :eek:

...so pretty :beer:

Cartesius
04-14-2004, 10:55 PM
Ahhh, he's a real beauty!

/Anders

Gregwid
04-14-2004, 11:21 PM
Kinda like the fat Dune guy.I like him,pretty warped,but i like him.:beer:

mikepolizos
04-14-2004, 11:40 PM
You progress really cool mate!
Rock on!:bounce:

DimitrisLiatsos
04-14-2004, 11:57 PM
Man u are dressing up the fat guy extremelly well...i like your work so far very much...last update most of all !!!..(nice leather work..i hope it has more!!!)

ehhh....NUTS!!!! (hihihihi...:twisted: )

JamesMK
04-15-2004, 12:38 AM
Thank you all!!! I'm off to bed now, will answer more carefully tomorrow!

And now::... [make sure there's nothing left of your breakfast/lunch/otherwise in you mouth before scrolling down]

http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1704/1704_1081985886_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1704/1704_1081985886_large.jpg)

Everything you wanted to know about groin adapters but were afraid to ask about :)

Echo, the fatty, showing off one of his tools for the adapter - a mid-sized drill for... well... drilling. In the mines and stuff...

DimitrisLiatsos
04-15-2004, 12:48 AM
hahaha ...Excelleent man...and thank God i am not eating !!!:scream:

:thumbsup:

EmpY
04-15-2004, 01:58 AM
The Corporation realy equiped them miners
with top quality....hmm, things. No way they cant
groin the way out!!!! You can convince me no more!!

Hats off James!!!!!:beer:

And, no kidding, everything looks AWESOME!!
:thumbsup:

rattlesnake
04-15-2004, 06:37 AM
Wow James your concept is going along relly nice, the materialslook good, are they stillproof?, youre creating an amazing chracter, all details and connections looks great your doing an all pro work as always, keep going Mr.James!

Virtuoso
04-15-2004, 06:38 AM
Now that's the second biggest groin adapter I have ever seen...........;)

Nice detailing,nice drill bit end too.Girls watchout..........fatty is in town..............;)

Keep them coming James,nice job.........:) :beer:

Lemog
04-15-2004, 06:42 AM
That takes truly a beautiful orientation, always cheer for your work ;)

JamesMK
04-15-2004, 11:18 AM
flyingP, Lemog, Cartesius, Gregwid, mikepol |3D|, EmpY : Thanks a lot for checking in, guys!

Dimitris : There might be some more garments coming, but I'll probably focus mostly on the plumbing. Thanks, nutcase!

Virtuoso : Second biggest, eh? Waahaa! Has to be one of the top three then :scream:

rattlesnake : The materials are still kind of placeholders only... I'll spend more time on them later... They only get minor, not very careful tweaks from time to time :)

Anyway... there will be some more tools coming up... he'll have a whole kit of stuff to choose from... I think that the big drill for his right arm is next on the list. And I'll most likely add more tubes on his body, because quite frankly they look pretty cool like that... if I may say so myself ;)

Laters, and keep pushing those polys!
And... uh... render those renders!
My hat off to all of you nutcase guys!

Tremoside
04-15-2004, 03:26 PM
OOps, interesting, I gonna be shy...that tool...
:buttrock: :buttrock:

Rhezz
04-16-2004, 02:17 AM
awesome work :) hah so thats what the groin adapter is for
only crit I have is the pipe on his forehead (well near but past his forehead)..the little one. The skin doesnt really grow onto it that well..I dunno if thats how you want it but to me it doesnt look great.

oh yea and another crit...the groin adapter. The drill just sort of comes out of his stomach...maybe put some sort of base for it. ;)

The rest is awesome! :applause:

TimW
04-16-2004, 04:08 AM
Were looking at your entry with a mate, we both agreed on Awesome :thumbsup:

JamesMK
04-16-2004, 06:59 AM
Tremoside : Ah, it's just a drill - we've all seen those before :)

Rhezz : About the forehead pipe/skin interface - I totally agree it doesn't look too hot. Will have that fixed in the next update. AND the adapter base - I have some stuff planned already, just haven't gotten around to do it yet.... the flesh interface there is still a pre-alpha version so to speak :D ANYWAY, thank you very very much for pointing these things out!

TimW : Ah, makes me glad to hear that!

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Started working on the torn-off jaw damage last night... Unfortunatly it turns out to be very tricky to get it right, which means that an update is still at least 16-18 hours away from now.
- - - In other words: laters! :beer:

Redf
04-16-2004, 07:37 AM
Bad ass drill for a bad ass fat dude man.Liking this model.Cool stuff.:buttrock:

JamesMK
04-16-2004, 08:07 AM
Bad ass drill for a bad ass fat dude man.
Waahaa! OK if I use that as a tag line for my final compo? I was planning to make it look like a movie poster, and that one fits perfectly for one of the two planned concepts - - - - waahaahaa! :D
Whoa, excellent dude!

Lemog
04-16-2004, 08:34 AM
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaah... a movie poster ? it's a very pleasant idea...

Also I've under consideration for my project to make a poster, but not for a movie... but a poster of publicity for the rent of the cloned mother. But I don't know yet if I would do it. :beer:
I'm afraid to loose too much place on the image because of the overload of text :shrug:

JamesMK
04-16-2004, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by Lemog
- - - a poster of publicity for the rent of the cloned mother.
Aha - she's a rental mama! :D GRRReat plan! Whaahaa! I'll have two, please.

creativer
04-16-2004, 08:55 AM
Awesome modelling dude! Look great!:thumbsup:

Lemog
04-16-2004, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by JamesMK
Aha - she's a rental mama! :D GRRReat plan! Whaahaa! I'll have two, please.

No problem James... I send you prices by private message (I propose easy terms and a total confidentiality) Many very varied models are available...:D

JamesMK
04-17-2004, 12:34 AM
creativer : thanks dude... you seem to have something very interesting cooking btw... your ass is subscribed :thumbsup:

Lemog : Ahaa! Tres bien! Though I bet the confidentiality bit is out of the question by now.... :D

- - - - - - -- - - -- - ----- - - -- - --- - --- < cut here >-- - - -- -- -- --

..::Tonight's update::..

http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1704/1704_1082158471_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1704/1704_1082158471_large.jpg)

Ripped his jaw off (semi-off of course)... will get teeth and a tounge tomorrow.

EmpY
04-17-2004, 01:17 AM
Huh, :surprised didnt expect something like this!
Really scary!!! :thumbsup:
Greenish tones are pretty!!
:)

Cartesius
04-17-2004, 01:19 AM
This is just plain disgusting, so whatever you do -- don't stop! :thumbsup:

/Anders

RKurczewski
04-17-2004, 01:20 AM
I love that one (yeah, I know... but You should see my mother in law before You will have full picture) but there is one thing that does not "sit" well with entire model- thread on face. It is perfect as an idea but it does not show justification for it's presence on the skin- I mean : edges of the skin have exactly the same colour, there is no gash, no blood, no scratches- it makes whole thing stand out a bit too much ( IMHO of course). Othervise- again- I can only watch and learn.

JamesMK
04-17-2004, 09:29 AM
EmpY : Well, I guess the full scope of it becomes more obviousl when the teeth are in place - at this stage it might be a bit hard to figure out the angle of the jaw (which is WAY off). Greenish, yup.... I just can't leave those color balance sliders along when preparing the JPG's :D

Cartesius : Good to hear that - and no, won't stop yet; some more gore to model before moving on..............

_RK_ : Your mother in law, eh? I know what you mean, sort of :D I also see what you mean about the lack of interaction between skin and stitches - what you need to know though is that the missing thing is the final painted textures, which I haven't even started on yet. What you see here, and on all the other renders, is just a few procedural shaders (I'm just a bit bored with the default grey). So your concern is noted - it will look exactly like you expect once I get around to UV and paint :)

flyingP
04-17-2004, 09:33 AM
:applause: :applause:

although I thought you were going to rip it right off :scream:

JamesMK
04-17-2004, 09:49 AM
>>> although I thought you were going to rip it right off

- I just couldn't part with all those polygons :D - no, really, I want it to eventually look like it's been broken off on the left side, while it's still sort of hanging on to the right side...

Lemog
04-17-2004, 02:39 PM
Very beautiful and too beautiful deformation of the lower maxilair/jaw.
It seems to have a jaw, bones, or a skeleton made out of rubber. Or perhaps don't have, just a curtain rod in the back to hold right, and a little bit air in the body to be inflated.

Your work is always also interesting to follow, with new innovating elements. claass :thumbsup:

He's beautiful, he's large, he's strong... he's green

JamesMK
04-17-2004, 05:19 PM
lemog : He he... I like the curtain rod/inflatable body theory :D

>>> he's large, he's strong... he's green

You make it sound like the second coming of Hulk or something... waahaa! I'm sorry to disappoint you (or not) though, but he won't be green in the final version :p

JamesMK
04-18-2004, 12:35 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1704/1704_1082244938_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1704/1704_1082244938_large.jpg)

Given fatso a set of teeth. Added and tweaked some other stuff too. And I realised I haven't shown his other side, which is kind of cute as well.

I might slowly be approaching that "ouch, broken groin adapter"-feeling here...

ilasolomon
04-18-2004, 12:43 AM
:surprised :eek: U sick! [eee!]

JamesMK
04-18-2004, 12:47 AM
Ila, .... yeah, I can't seem to make any cutesy things, can I? ..... Loved that chihuahua btw :D waahaa!

Cartesius
04-18-2004, 12:52 AM
You are one sick bunny... :) This is looking better and better!

/Anders

Martypt
04-18-2004, 01:12 AM
sickest entry award goes to you man.It's done good to.Scary bastard this guy.He so far from cute,but is very good model for sure.:) :thumbsup:

JamesMK
04-18-2004, 01:22 AM
Cartesius : Thanks dude - burning the midnight oil again, are we? Your hand is looking better each day...

Martypt : I hope there is such an award... I'd like one, me thinks :D Seriously though, I'm glad you like him. I can tell him to come visit you for a cup of coffee later. You'd like that. He's very uh..... friendly....

EmpY
04-18-2004, 01:36 AM
not sick at all rather full of character, reminds me
of some kind of MegaStar opera singer!!! Even tried
to reproduce the sound - very bassy deep long AAAAAAAAA.....
MegaCool!!! HiFi!!!!!!!
:cool: :beer:

JamesMK
04-18-2004, 02:00 AM
Damnation, EmpY, that's hilarious! Didn't think of it myself, but looking back now while singing 'AAAAAAA', like a final looooong note at the end of a baryton solo... ROFL... I just have to include a singing act in that animation later on.... In glorious dolby surround too of course :D

flyingP
04-18-2004, 06:14 AM
haha cool....just a thought how's about knocking out a few of those teeth and/or having one or two growing at an angle. :)

rattlesnake
04-18-2004, 06:57 AM
yeah!! nice update, hes creepy, hope notto have night mares with him tonight, or with u , now i know youre totally insane:p , great job on modeling again , u never stop surprising me!

Lemog
04-18-2004, 08:20 AM
Cheer James , you continuous to defy all the natural laws like those of anatomy, for our greater pleasure.

Go ahead, I'm sure that you can make worse, more malicious, more dreadful...

...but for the best and maybe the beast... gnark gnark... :beer:

PS : the last week, I taken along my young son wire in the dentist, while the dentist tore off a tooth to him, I have time to look at all the dental boards fixed on the wall, and I can assure you that a true jaw, cannot absolutely do that. Or can be while being done very badly, it does not certainly hear his pain :D

Virtuoso
04-18-2004, 08:38 AM
Yes james......Wonderful and wicked to the Max update......fatty is looking quite good in his own freaky scary kind of way............:)

Let's see any suggestions to add to this update.......................Well Flying P took the words right out of my mind..........While I like the teeth and it's look,I think that a couple should be long lost,as well as giving another few a bent crooked lean,front and side leans.........backwards,also give a couple ragged chips........I know it's more WIP but I think with a model like this and with how much you have already put into this itwould be well worth it....................

:wip:

Another thought would be to give him a "Scarab beetle" or another bug that crawls in and out of the facial holes....Ala the main bad guy in the Mummy 1 and 2 Motion pictures..........I think a nasty bug would fit him nice...........

Anyways.................very nice update,he has really matured into a stellar piece of work,and this being a WIP I anticipate even more wonderful updates,and coming from you I expect them actually..........Nice and double nice work here..............:buttrock: :thumbsup:

JamesMK
04-18-2004, 09:43 AM
flyingP : I'll sure make his choppers a bit more irregular and less complete. I guess this is the starting point, like with the head... starting out with something relatively normal, then step by step making it more twisted as I go...

rattlesnake : Thank you, ssssssssnake, I'm sure that any sleeping problems would be induced by your own model rather than mine :D

Lemog : Waahaa! You're a funny guy, you know! The medical technicians of Astevoids Inc aren't exactly known for their precision work.... look up 'malpractice' in a dictionary, and there will be a picture of their surgical staff right there. Add a 5 kiloton mining depth charge explosion with big rocks flying straight into the face of the fat miner, and anything is possible :scream:

Virtuoso : I'm with you on the teeth (see reply to the pig above) - and I'm thinking about your scarab idea.... I haven't actually seen the Mummy movies ( :blush: ) but I get the general idea.... We've been discussing the lack of cockroaches in this challenge.... maybe I can combine these concepts..... thanks for your thoughts..... hope you're enjoying the tavern wench.... Echo and The Bunnyman have already eloped with the Angel and are hiding out in one of the deserted mines on Ceres IV.... you'll never find them.... :p

flyingP
04-18-2004, 09:53 AM
[i]Originally posted by JamesMK Echo and The Bunnyman have already eloped with the Angel and are hiding out in one of the deserted mines on Ceres IV.... you'll never find them.... :p

Forget it they haven't a chance, the lady has a pig tail fetish don't you know :D

JamesMK
04-18-2004, 09:59 AM
/me fires up C4D and starts adding a crapload of pigtails all over fatty drill wielding stitchhead.... Wait a minute... 'pigtails' hmmmm :surprised ..... maybe.... naaaah.... that would be too sick :D

flyingP
04-18-2004, 10:13 AM
depends on where you put them James :blush:

Virtuoso
04-18-2004, 12:10 PM
.... Echo and The Bunnyman have already eloped with the Angel and are hiding out in one of the deserted mines on Ceres IV.... you'll never find them.... :p [/B]

Better wake up james...........I have just got news from the BB Bros themselves that Angel has been "Spreading" her "Wings" for them, ;) .........and only them............her "7" wild treasure seeking,skirt chasing,rum swilling adventure seeking Scalawags...............In fact there should be an official announcement on this very soon now............I'll be making the announcement within a day or two along with the father of Angel herself 1St Angel............Told you the Bros have been spending those long,long nights with there Angel.............:p

Long live Angel and the 7 Boulderbreaker bros,long live the Scalawags.................

And get out and see the Mummy movies,there quite cheesey but lot's of fun......:beer:

JamesMK
04-18-2004, 01:05 PM
Virtuoso... that's a bit of a downer actually.... I'll have to finish up one of the hands on this guy so he can give you "the finger" :p

And I guess I'll vidi those Mummy flics soon enough... Some good old monster fun is always nice.

ob-123
04-18-2004, 05:46 PM
Hello! Your modeling work is really great. I think that your sketches could be really good as well, if you give yourself enough time to do them. Don't hurry the process!:thumbsup: Look at mine... (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=131577)

Peter C.
04-18-2004, 11:26 PM
Amazing work there, so impressive. Wonderful concept and execution of it. Also good to see another Swede on the front lines :wip:

I'm hooked to this thread now, and egerly awaiting more wip's! :thumbsup:

ParadiseFlyBird
04-19-2004, 07:21 AM
JamesMK..... sweet man you're entrys coming along really well man.... im liken what you have done with the mechanics in the head, i like the way that the ear peice extends out in parts over the scalp. the stiches in the face are looken great aswell....
also like how the skins torn around the mouth area.. keep up the good work

CLONEOPS
04-19-2004, 08:51 AM
-wow talk about a dentists billing dream....pile driver to the head ...god that hadda hurt.
gotta lub dat lips he god frum dad wun.
-i guess he's gonna have an awful lisp.-a real company man!
hahaha! -very cool work ,just right.
teeth and inner mouth too dry...you fickz i know later.
-side view no actual white jaw bone shows...
i think the white eye is okay if more shows...but you will get more identifiying focus if you have a normal pupil that people acan relate to....it seems to bring the viewer somehow into the picture.
I suppose now he has no problem scooping in the MUSLI
"like food but without the taste" company slop.hahahaha..
-oh look a little leakage....its okay big guy we'll just put that in a doggy bag for ya!
-and yes a jaw can do that- its called dislocation...given enough force and the awesome elastisity of human skin it could actually get driven into the side of his neck/split but intact.....extreme case.extreme trauma.
-give him a coupla fillings..oooooh shiny!
bugs ..uh ...is he a corpse? -thrill factor i guess...why not.
i thought of the ulimate sqeeeem visual...razor? in tongue.
aaaaaAAAAAhhhhhhhhhhHHHHHH!
shredded tongue?
aAAAAhhhhhh again.
rock on J-J..MK
....keep forgetting..the groiny bit is not fatty duty enough
-looks reedy.and bit is t...i...n...y.

crit crud dun.
still ROCKIN here.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

JamesMK
04-19-2004, 10:58 AM
ob-123 : Thanks... though, when it comes to sketching... I just prefer to spend most of the time modeling... thanks for looking!

Peter C : Aye... Glad you like it, fellow swede :) I'll keep an eye on your stuff as well, and you know it.

ParadiseFlybird : Thank you for your observations! More stuff to come...

CLONEOPS : Ah, great analysis yet again.... Good points all over the place... "dislocation", just the word I was looking for... funny you should mention fillings, because that was about the only thing I had time for yesterday.... hold for updates in about *checks watch* 13 hours... Fatter groin equipment? o_O .... I'll see what can be done :D

Lemog
04-19-2004, 11:13 AM
Strange... I read the answers on this thread and others, and if I well very understood, to have a super level in 3d, it 's absolutely necessary to ask and obtain Swedish nationality ???

Well, I come then :D (and It's not a chance for Swedish people...)

Sorry James, I don't manage to remain serious a long time, I leave :hmm:

...and the next update, it's for when ? :surprised

JamesMK
04-19-2004, 11:23 AM
Lemog -> Strange you would say that, I always thought it was Korean nationality prefered for excellence.... Or french perhaps.... No, swedes kick butt, and we all know it. :p

Next update, as reported above ;) :: T-minus 13 hours approx. A bit caught up with wage slave work and later on family matters until my time on the PC comes up.

And please don't try to be serious for too long, it's a tad bit boring :D

EDIT: Waahaahaa! I just saw your rabbit! Mean machine with boxing gloves, eh? Love it!

Lemog
04-19-2004, 11:42 AM
James ->
- My car is Korean, but it doesn't make beautiful images like Swedish Artsists. :beer:

- Work and family, time on the PC, I believe that we have all the same problem. :shrug: and if by bad luck, there's neither family nor work, it's still worse...
...the life is quite strange.

- It's the fashion of rabbits, and I had enough of it to see the large man with a moustache don't seem very sympathetic. :wip:

Well, I go to eat and play with the body of my cloned mother.

...before working :cry:

Ric535
04-19-2004, 04:26 PM
Hey james - just found your thread - that groin adapter made me laugh so hard - keep it up :scream:

imscifi
04-19-2004, 04:35 PM
so with that uh... groin adapter... you one of those guys who get's a "pen**" car... to make up for lack of oh... something?!!!

LOL

this is coming out great.... like the broken jaw .... needs more gore though.... *sigh*

JamesMK
04-19-2004, 06:17 PM
Lemog -> Good points... You should btw absolutely NOT eat your cloned mother... that's about the worst gross-out I've heard yet :D

Ric_535 -> Will try to keep it up!

imscifi -> Guilty as charged. I'm making up for the lack of a decent groin adapter :D .... More gore coming up too... particularly when it's time to texture this thing...

TheFirstAngel
04-19-2004, 10:14 PM
Hahahan What a cutieeee!!! Sweet things are cooking in your soup mate, That update rocks!!! Oh, and I forgot to say, Wab Wabby Wabbit is a baaad cawwot, evil Gansta Wabbit he is, vewwy Scawwy! :buttrock: :beer: :wip:

blueglitchman
04-19-2004, 11:54 PM
really nice! good stuff dude :thumbsup:

JamesMK
04-20-2004, 12:13 AM
1st Angel -> Wewwy scawy indeed. Someone must have put something in my cawwots.... o_O :D

blueglitch -> Thanks, dude!

- - - - - - -

Minor update (not a lot of spare time lately :blush: )

http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1704/1704_1082416391_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1704/1704_1082416391_large.jpg)

Messed up lips a bit more. Made teeth more irregular and added a few fillings - removed a few teeth while I was at it.

Started to experiment a bit with layered procedural shaders controlled by vertex maps... Very early WIP status on that so far, but it seems to be working. Upside is that I save precious RAM, downside is extremely slow renders (in this current case, three volume shaders stacked on top of each other) To be refined....

Ravendsg
04-20-2004, 12:18 AM
woah! Nice crooked broken melting jaws there hehe i like the teeths man you've even got decay for them! :applause: Great modelling dude!!!! :beer:

Lemog
04-20-2004, 07:57 AM
It's the sight that I prefer, this side of the face is very rich and very interesting.

I would prefer to see a less regular grain of skin on certain parts of the face, but well, it's not finished yet, I trust you man.

A little idea also, on the level of the seams, it would be perhaps interesting, to see the part where stop the wire, an additional hole of where could exceed the end of the wire which hangs a little, beside the ear maybe, or between the eye and the nose (I hope that you understands what I want to explain with my bad English).

I've much pleasure to follow his evolution... :thumbsup:

JamesMK
04-20-2004, 08:28 AM
Ravendsg -> Thanks dude!

Lemog - > The grain issue is (as you suspected) an early WIP - still really just a placeholder. I understand perfectly what you mean about the stitches/wire and holes... Will make sure that it happens :thumbsup:

Lemog
04-20-2004, 08:34 AM
Sorry for confusion, per moment, I doesn't understand all the words written in English :blush:

:D

flyingP
04-20-2004, 08:39 AM
Hmmmm better, now c'mon pull out the sledge hammer and knock a few of those teeth out :scream:

Edit:or a wet sock stuffed with a brick instead of a sledge hammer, you know "splatch splatch" :D

pigwater
04-20-2004, 08:50 AM
holy smackers james ...:eek:

looks like your makin him listen to celine dion .... that's just cruel :cry:

great progress on this thing and the details are makin it spit class ... molto bene,all the way

:beer:

JamesMK
04-20-2004, 08:53 AM
Lemog -> Meh... as long as you understand every third word, I think you'll be OK... so much redundacy... I need to defrag this thread :D

flyingP tickle-tail buns -> Har har!... I've already prepared a really wet sock... out looking for some bricks on my lunch break.

Pigwater -> Waahaa! I guess it's a bit too cruel having him do that - but he is actually singing along, so I guess he can take it... These last snapshots are from the very moment he sings "NIIIIIIIGHT" in that one.... uh.... 'I drove all niiiiiiiiiiiight' :D
- - - oh, the horror.... :argh:

pigwater
04-20-2004, 08:58 AM
I HATE THAT SONG!!! ... how bout some GODSMACK ?? ,, that always eases my pain:buttrock:

JamesMK
04-20-2004, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by pigwater
I HATE THAT SONG!!!
Yeah! No wonder he is decomposing! :D

creativer
04-20-2004, 09:05 AM
Ouch! that looks painful... make ya stomach turn. well done!:eek:

EmpY
04-20-2004, 08:50 PM
Nothing much to add, except that we are looking at that head
for quite some time now,... so slow dawn, this is not a speed
mod session, hehehehe
:bounce: :p

JamesMK
04-20-2004, 08:52 PM
EmpY : He he... Updates on their way... just gimme a couple of hours... And it won't be the head today!

blueglitchman
04-20-2004, 09:14 PM
looks better :)

JamesMK
04-21-2004, 12:12 AM
This is a wide one, so click to enlarge ::..

http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1704/1704_1082502734_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1704/1704_1082502734_large.jpg)

- Added more big tubes for the pneumatic system, mostly on the sides/belly.

- Added attachment base for groin adapter (yellow!) and correspondingly messed up the skin geometry of that area.

- Removed a few more teeth and adjusted the wetness of the inside of the mouth.

- Made an ID-card for Echo Schnabel (a.k.a. fatty drill wielding stitchhead), I'll probably put it on his vest... Or staple it directly on his forehead...

EmpY
04-21-2004, 12:34 AM
I waited patiently, so it was more than worth it!

This is MEGA, ULTRA!!! You are really puling it off.
Skin tones in a wider shot are abs to my taste,
love it. Scars on the body look so real. And he has started
to look pretty designed (fashion), pretty BigPic feel
to it, love that too. Mouth shot reveals more work to be done
on skin, no problemo I know.

Washed in that thick white light he looks :drool: !!!
Magic!

Identification, nice addition...

Are you a tall man, coz you have just raised the bar.

night:wavey:

rattlesnake
04-21-2004, 12:56 AM
hey James, this looks cool, the skars on the lips are great, thats some buttkicking work!, the mouth is going great and more scary render by render:eek: , my gf is looking at your character and says is cute (shes insane i think) oh gf means girlfriend no garfield*, bunches of details! your work rocks as always man!!:buttrock:

DimitrisLiatsos
04-21-2004, 07:27 AM
Yes...skin tones are looking great ....i think you work is starting to give the feeling of the machine flesh terror u want (I imagine)...this is cool update of a serious Nutcase!!!(..of 'course i mean u ..don't look behind you :scream: )

Virtuoso
04-21-2004, 07:52 AM
Wild and wholly.....................very nice update james.The intensity rises,and your work is getting wicked scary...............The teeth mess up session is a great success......he is coming along wonderfully in all aspects,excellent effort right along with execution.............:thumbsup: :buttrock:

JamesMK
04-21-2004, 07:52 AM
EmpY : Well, thank you thank you for all that praise... And the drooly.... though I'm not too sure about the raising of any bar... I seem to be constantly chasing bars raised by others :D

rattlessssssssssnake : Ha ha ha! Your gf's opinion makes me seriously worried...... about what YOU look like :D

Dimitris : Thank you - and you imagine correctly, I imagine... I trust the words of another nutcase, it's like a digital signature almost.... rock on, maker of odd vehicles!

EDIT

Virtuoso : Well, nice to hear such things from you, maker of huge vehicles.... swagger of hot winged creatures!

- - - - - - - -

Ah, sick... this is my 3000th post :argh: I need to look into getting one of those life thingies I hear people talking about occasionally......

Lemog
04-21-2004, 07:54 AM
It's a great Art.

I particularly like the interior of the mouth which becomes very very expressive.
The new additions are perfect and I laughed much by seeing his work card, with the image of his face not deformed, very well, good idea man :wip:

flyingP
04-21-2004, 08:10 AM
The mouth looking good, ahhh..... I mean BLOODY HORRIBLE :scream: but then that's what you wanted soooooo :cool: :cool: :cool:

Versiden
04-21-2004, 08:53 AM
looking good, I like they way the jaw looks like his dog chewed it off ;p

awesome work:applause:

Saschi0815
04-21-2004, 12:12 PM
Kiss me baby, kiss me....:eek:

Hardcore modelling and texturing, - awesome expression!!!!:buttrock: :bowdown:

I think its too late for a dentist,hehe:rolleyes:

JamesMK
04-21-2004, 07:38 PM
Lemog : Thank you very much! I'm glad you spotted the "thing" about his ID card as well. Since the final image is supposed to be shot right after a hideous accident, that card is important for the story - to show what he really looks like.... OK, y'all had that figured out already? :D A well, a little repetition never hurts, eh?

flyingP : Yeah! 'bloody horrible' is my middle name! ... uh... wait a minute... :surprised

Versiden : Glad you like it! I'll check that dog story out... I have this special... uh... relationship to dogs actually... [in-joke, sorry :D ]

Saschi0815 : I'll send him over to your place for a big, wet kiss - like a kiss-o-gram perhaps... Think you're right about the dentist timing... it's more like he needs an undertaker pretty soon...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - < fold here > - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I'll probably take a break today and just rest a bit. Will be back with another update tomorrow instead. Peace out, and keep working, y'all! :buttrock:

Cartesius
04-21-2004, 07:46 PM
[B]I'll probably take a break today and just rest a bit. Will be back with another update tomorrow instead. Peace out, and keep working, y'all! :buttrock:

A break? A break!? We can take breaks!?!? Why hasn't anyone told me we are allowed to have breaks!!!?? :bounce:

/Anders (crosseyed from spending 31 days in a row in front of a screen with nothing but coffee and nicotine to keep me going)

JamesMK
04-21-2004, 07:48 PM
@ Cartesius - Ha ha! Nope, I am allowed to take breaks, the rest of you... well... you have to keep working. And hell yeah, where would we be without coffee and nicotine? Hell, I tell you, pure hell... :D

Sandpiper
04-21-2004, 07:52 PM
Very cool man! The jaw just looks painful and so does that saggy belly of his holding up that weight. I like the style even though it's very wild and weird. Tones are looking great. Could use some contrast overall, but I know this isn't your end-all texturing milestone. :) Keep it up dude!

blueglitchman
04-21-2004, 08:01 PM
3010 posts :eek: :eek: :eek: and you have only bin on since feb 2003 awesome dude :thumbsup:

vincentvv
04-22-2004, 09:59 AM
...Hate those Sweden`s
..First they want a bridge to Copenhagen so they can invade this beloved old city, emptying the bar`s for booz, and thereafter fall a sleep in Cristiania with a Joint in the mouth...
Next they came out with a game called Battlefield 1942, so now all my favorit Counterstrike servers dont have any decent players left; they all play "that" Swedish game instead...

But dammit... some of ur guys( and girls) really have some skills when it come to making art...
This one looks like it will go far...gonna follow it close, even though 3d really aint my field...

mwa
04-22-2004, 10:13 AM
Very nice James, this is really starting to take form to something beutifully disgusting:bounce:
@vincent: it's your beer we wan't not the booze:beer:

vincentvv
04-22-2004, 10:21 AM
ya i heard something about u guys brewing ur private booz...somewhere deep in the forrest...hehe

nahh...actually i was in Stockholm last sommer...and must admit; i really enjoyed being there:)

mwa
04-22-2004, 10:32 AM
Hehe :rolleyes:

JamesMK
04-22-2004, 11:23 AM
What up, guys? :D So, I go for a lunch break, and you start blabbering about this in MY THREAD, dammit :D

- Oh, and yeah, it's only the beer we want from you danes... You can keep the rest :beer:

Cool to see you peeking into the 3D section, btw, Vincent!

Lemog
04-22-2004, 12:04 PM
I son't want to said something before, but I want well also a beer :beer: even Danish :thumbsup:

vincentvv
04-22-2004, 11:25 PM
LOL ..you drink beers in champagne??
Wonder how that taste...

My pleasure wabbit, 3d section have some very inspirering threads...so, im sneaking around inhere, thinking it`ll maybe makes me wiser..

...make you way across the bridge, show me how to boxmodel, and ill load you up with a barrel or 2 of Copenhagens finest brew:p

SibSpi
04-23-2004, 01:43 AM
Ahem, what in interesting place to put a, uhhh, pneumatic drill :sarcastic:

I hafto say that's the best one I've seen sofar, or rather, the most interesting one. Looks like a state of torture forced to work by drilling with his |-| for all eternity :applause: got my vote! :P

JamesMK
04-24-2004, 10:56 PM
Sandpiper, blueglitchman, mwa, Lemog, SibSpi -> Thanks for stopping by - and I'm really glad you like it so far :beer:

Vincent_v -> Good thing we've got the beer issue sorted out :D However, as much as I'd like to take a trip over to Copenhagen and grab a barrel of danish brewskij, there's not much point in me teaching you to box model since I'm not too good at it :)

Anyways, I've been silent for a couple of days now - but my muse has sung again, sort of, and I actually got some work done today! So, update coming in the post below ::: don't touch that dial....

JamesMK
04-24-2004, 10:57 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1704/1704_1082843844_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1704/1704_1082843844_large.jpg)

Built a drill thingy for the right hand (and the right arm itself of course - some more muscles on it compared to the left arm due to the mere weight of the tool) - will continue with the flesh-integration of the drill next, since that's not dealt with at all here... Just testing....

Cartesius
04-24-2004, 11:09 PM
Looking good --heavy and industrial, just right for the character!

/Anders

Squibbit
04-24-2004, 11:16 PM
that looks pretty hideous ... one of the forgotten them ...

Shaykai
04-24-2004, 11:44 PM
Your getting much better with every challenge i see you in james :) Great job!

Shaykai

blueglitchman
04-24-2004, 11:52 PM
looks good

harnelbe
04-25-2004, 12:35 AM
:shrug:
as much i like a lot what was made on the character as much the hydraulic systeme poses me problem...
i would have seen some mechanic of the tools more realistic, i don't know how to explain that, the operating system seems light and breakable, perhaps it could be interesting to put bigger hydraulic more than little ones. And put a carenage around to protect some parts.

JamesMK
04-25-2004, 09:04 AM
Cartesius, Squibbit, Shaykai, blueglitchman : Thanks for looking, guys!

Harnelbe -> I think I see what you mean... I can agree to some extent that certain parts might need to be beefed up a bit - I'll make sure to fix it :thumbsup: On the other hand, there are other things though that may very well remain as they are - remember that he is just a miner, not a warrior. I really appreciate your feedback, Arnaud! Btw, in spite of extensive searching, I couldn't figure out what you mean by "carenage"... if you read this, could you perhaps elaborate a bit on that? Maybe you mean something really cool, and I wouldn't want to miss out on it :D

lukx
04-25-2004, 09:16 AM
Holy Cow! I better get to work!
Uh! Those Swedish people ;)

rattlesnake
04-25-2004, 09:42 AM
im sorry if id miss this , maybe u said this before, but are u going to add some fluids going out from mouth and those holes?, maybe at the machine parts connections, like oil mixed with blood if that exist:lightbulb , i saw your image and feel like he needs some of that, but sometimes im very tired and start imagining some stoopid sh**, so ignore my suggest if is to stoopid ok?, great work sir, i have to see how u fully integrate the machine parts to the flesh with wires and silly stuff!:buttrock:

soapy
04-25-2004, 05:59 PM
I think he needs a giant cigar to fill that hole in his mouth.. :-) looking really great so far. good luck.

SibSpi
04-25-2004, 07:26 PM
I think by "carenage" he might've meant some kind of protection. For a miner that's going to be using such heavy machinery, having a hydraulic jack like that exposed is asking for trouble - but then, the miner 'imself looks like he's looking for trouble :P

I've only got one thing to question your model on - that handle on the *lower* drill - just how would he be reaching that? I'm not the most flexible bloke in SA, so I can say I'd have to break something to achieve that, but if it's supposed to be natural for him, maybe you could detail exactly how it's achieved?

still, looks good :applause:

Cartesius
04-25-2004, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by SibSpi
I've only got one thing to question your model on - that handle on the *lower* drill - just how would he be reaching that? I'm not the most flexible bloke in SA, so I can say I'd have to break something to achieve that, but if it's supposed to be natural for him, maybe you could detail exactly how it's achieved?

While we're grilling you, James -- why two handles on the ... *erhm*... "lower" drill if he only has one arm to operate it with? (Easy answer: it's corporate equipment and the ruthless, heartless and profit hungry corporation couldn't care less if the worker operating the drill has one or two arms functional. He's got a job to do and the equipment to help him. Tough luck! :) )

/Anders

Edit: That mouth is gonna give me nightmares... I'm really impressed by it!

Vilpep
04-25-2004, 08:37 PM
Is crazy guy.very good details,scary guy too.Good machine parts too.Maybe just I thinking the skin a little to grainy.Stil a very good work here.:thumbsup:

harnelbe
04-25-2004, 08:49 PM
JamesMK
I would see some thing like that (for the base with best shapes) but by "carenage" i heard something more covered.
http://www.strojexport.cz/obchod/02/SK9-5,9-6.jpg
http://www.diverssupplyinc.com/images/ch18.jpg

JamesMK
04-25-2004, 09:12 PM
OK guys, time to step in with some answers :D

lukx : He he he!

rattlesnake : Blood, drool, hydraulic oil and above all SILLY STUFF is coming... just need to cover the basics first :D

soapy : Thanks, I'll see if those cubans have something in XXXXL available to cover it up

SibSpi : You're right about that. He came looking for trouble, and he found loads of it - - - He is not exactly the number one aerobics guy either... I'm in fact going to rebuild the... erm 'lower' drill and reposition those handles to fulfil modern ergonomical principles... It'll be something bigger and better.

Cartesius : Several handles... yeah... it looked boring with only one :D

Vilpep : Glad you like it! About the skin - this is just a quicky crap shader... nothing final.

harnelbe : Thanks for those illustrations. Now I see what you mean. I guess the thing here is that I've been referencing really OLD machinery, and those things were not very elegantly designed or well protected either for that matter... lots of exposed mechanisms on those... doesn't hurt to combine these two ideas though... we'll see what happens

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I'm working on the interface between arm and hydraulic drifter/drill tonight... perhaps an update coming later... or not...

vincentvv
04-25-2004, 09:39 PM
Ouch...i just love that drill...
BTW my character would like to challenge ur guy to a duel on drill and guns..
U think of any chance of that after contents?
Rules: No drilling or shooting.. only "clubbing"..

Also the face comming out real nice..:thumbsup:

JamesMK
04-25-2004, 10:18 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1704/1704_1082927891_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1704/1704_1082927891_large.jpg)

Making the transition from machinepart to the flesh of the arm... More left to refine...

Vincent_v : I'm all go for a duel... wrote some more comments in your thread (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=132301&perpage=&pagenumber=3) ;)

DimitrisLiatsos
04-25-2004, 11:03 PM
.....Rules: No drilling or shooting.. only "clubbing"..

I am in too!!!:bounce:

P.S it is coming along very discustingly nice James...will u add pressure pipes and stuff too?:bounce:

TheFirstAngel
04-25-2004, 11:18 PM
Rules: No drilling or shooting.. only "clubbing"...
Mah lil Angel Screams and wants to sit in the first raw to not miss one thing!!!! :scream:

vincentvv
04-25-2004, 11:18 PM
second rule:the only muscles that can be activated are those around the hips...
the trainees can carry the fighters into position.

My char has an obvious advantage: hes 2D and thus harder to aim at...

JamesMK
04-25-2004, 11:22 PM
I'm coming in from the side - good shot at your little guy then - and Echo here has pelvic muscles up to his... er... neck!

DimitrisLiatsos
04-25-2004, 11:24 PM
ahahahahahahahah :beer:

TheFirstAngel
04-26-2004, 12:02 AM
Bwahahahahahaha lol rofl lmao my wings, my halo.... ulalalala :beer:

SibSpi
04-26-2004, 12:51 AM
Say JamesMK - did you use any reference photos for your model's "human" side? I don't have the time right now to check, so sorry if you've answered already.

I wanne turn pro in the CG industry, but I just can't see how you guys can stare at a naked man for several hours/days/weeks and not get, well, disturbed by it.:cry:

Virtuoso
04-26-2004, 02:52 AM
Your doing a great job james,always coming up with more fun and details.This is one very badarse character,and to see it all come together is exciting,Excellent effort on your part too,you make it look pretty easy,but we all know it is'nt don't we.............;)

Well done,and as always I am looking for more from you.Keep the goods coming.................:buttrock: :beer:

Antropus
04-26-2004, 04:23 AM
Great progress on your model, dude! I think the final scene will be "horrendous", in the good way ;)
Looking forward to see more working in progress my friend :beer:

Cya,
Kris

Lemog
04-26-2004, 07:36 AM
I like much the metal parts, even if they do not completely seem with tools that we know.

With regard to the transition, between the true arm and mechanics, I would like that one feels more the suffering of connection, but I think that you did not finish yet working on this part, then I await with patienceL...

...good work ! :applause:

flyingP
04-26-2004, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by SibSpi
I wanne turn pro in the CG industry, but I just can't see how you guys can stare at a naked man for several hours/days/weeks and not get, well, disturbed by it.:cry:

James isn't disturbed ??? :surprised :surprised :eek:

JamesMK
04-26-2004, 08:19 AM
Thanks for your support, piggy :D

And to answer your question, SibSpi, in this particular case I did not use any photo reference... I guess those few times when I've actually seen guys looking like this, it has etched itself permanently into my visual memory to be eternally accessible... even at times when I do wish it would just go away :scream:

viag
04-26-2004, 10:22 AM
nice model ! i like the details of the connector beetween muscle and metal ! good work !

Saschi0815
04-26-2004, 10:55 AM
Horrible, man, really horrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

(this is a heavy compliment:beer: )

JamesMK
04-27-2004, 09:54 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1704/1704_1083099290_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1704/1704_1083099290_large.jpg)

New groin drill. Extended his rig a bit and made some tests here... lots of oddities to straighten out still, but it will get there eventually.

Oh, and from previous postings - many thanks to Virtuoso, Antropus, Lemog, 1st Angel, Dimitris, SibSpi, Viag and Sachi for your encouragements! :bounce:

lavon2002
04-27-2004, 10:15 PM
I like your concept man. Cool Idea!!

JamesMK
04-28-2004, 12:44 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1704/1704_1083109483_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1704/1704_1083109483_large.jpg)

Some spooky lights, another pose (tweaked the rig a bit) and another angle to show some more parts of the latest hardware. My poor box can hardly handle this, but I'm kind of enjoying myself regardless :)

TheFirstAngel
04-28-2004, 01:07 AM
Don't tell us too exactly hhow much you enjoy this, .... hhahahaha, of course the wabbit sa lika this... Nah, to ne honest, I enjoy too, great shot of a scary good Work, lovin this!!!! Rock on James, nuts u are suuuuuupernuts!!!!:beer: :buttrock: :wip:

DimitrisLiatsos
04-28-2004, 01:26 AM
The shot from below...is scary and...and...and discusting ! ...man.........there i said it...are u happy now ?:bounce:

sad
04-28-2004, 02:58 AM
eeeek:applause:

JamesMK
04-28-2004, 08:40 AM
1st Angel : Yeh, mesa wabbit'sa lika dis muchly :D

Dimitris : Yes, I am happy to supply some general disgust! If my RAM permits it - I'll hopefully make some matching repulsive textures as well soon.... Things don't look to promising though... I've spent an hour or so trying to optimise the parts as much as possible, but I'm still sort of running on fumes as far as system resources go... worst case scenario: I have to try to build some really clever procedurals instead - not much memory left for hi-res textures at render-time.... :hmm:

sad : Ummm.... YUuuuuuhhk! Thanks for barfing! Waahaa :D

23th Spirit
04-28-2004, 08:52 AM
hey wath the hell are that, and were he comes.

shit nice modeling and horrorabele concept.
sorry my english is very bad, dont understand me wrong.
are a very nice work, like it.

keep on :buttrock:

Greetz

23th Spirit

mikepolizos
04-28-2004, 09:58 AM
Major updates I see here james!

Cool details man, freeky scaring!

Keep up the good work!

lukx
04-28-2004, 10:34 AM
James remind me what soft are you using?

flingster
04-28-2004, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by lukx
James remind me what soft are you using?

cinema 4d

Hey
James...just thought i'd drop by to wish ya good luck bud...looking good so far keep up that momentum...:beer:

DimitrisLiatsos
04-28-2004, 11:29 AM
...but I'm still sort of running on fumes as far as system resources go... worst case scenario: I have to try to build some really clever procedurals instead...

I think James better avoid procedural, i think they eat up more more memory than textures....if u low a little bit the rez of your textures what will happen...Does it show so much ?

Just an idea.

JamesMK
04-28-2004, 12:10 PM
23th Spirit : No problem, I see what you intend to say, so thanks a lot!

Mikepol |3D| : Yeah, it's coming along slowly but surely... - btw, i really like the ice-blue gel bra in the last update in your challenge thread (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=1302067#post1302067) :thumbsup:

lukx : Ah, a reliable source from the C4D forum stepped in to answer that ... ... - btw, hope to see some updates in your challenge thread (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=1255891#post1255891) soon dude!

Flingster thingy : Thanks, I might need a bit of that luck soon :D

Dimitris : Good points, man... I might make some sort of half-assed combination by using a procedural base shader, but then add partial, alphamapped bitmap textures where needed... At least theoretically it seems like a good idea... I'll make some tests soon.... Thanks for the input, nut!

VinceFX
04-28-2004, 12:43 PM
very cool:bounce: just the foot im not very convince... they look less details than the other mechanical parts.

Virtuoso
04-28-2004, 01:35 PM
For such a wicked ugly scary creation he actually is looking quite beautiful in his own original crazy kind of way....................;) ......................very nice continued effort and execution,looking real tight James.I think that from what I see what you had in mind has been accomplished......He looks ready...................:thumbsup:

Perhaps you can paint in one of the characters in the scene,giving you the higher ceiling you need memory wise............?

Ok then................very well done.......And my verdict on this latest update.....................

Raxx
04-28-2004, 01:41 PM
Great job! I only browsed through the first couple of pages, then to the last couple, and the progress change was shockingly cool :)

However, I do agree with VinceFX about the mechanical legs. They just don't seem to fit with the rest of the body, imo.

artemesia66
04-28-2004, 03:16 PM
Hey James, he's looking amazing. <clamp>

Tremoside
04-28-2004, 03:34 PM
Hi James,

That face is awesome..:buttrock: , I can't describe how it looks.
Fearsome and powerful, all in one.
Congrats for this job!:bowdown:

airworks
04-28-2004, 05:07 PM
well, i know what im not gonna ask...anyway, great modeling job, and i think the face is great also:thumbsup:

CLONEOPS
04-29-2004, 07:24 AM
-let's face it a full blow super charged nitrous fed v8 big block would actually barely be noticed hanging off this guys nipple ring and sum one com'plainin
about the legs? ...dont;t the mouth,slamm- jammed jaw, teeth, amped hand, massive hole in the head ,eyes and slightly odd groin snap- on make ya stop and say jeez other things don't really look like they fit in other areas as well.
XSLANT UPDATIES ! all cool..chillin infacto!
I MISSED out ...let me rub big fellas gut for luck....
ewww a little greasy...
-that second pose down from here really hits the spot..
almost like lookin up at a model on the runway .
he's to sexy for his uh ...heavy mechanical adaptations.
-actually some of that belly is losing form somehow?
i think if you maintain a strong dome gut foundation it will looks like the equip can handle it. looks a bit like a deflated balloon in places...intentional?
-side release handle needs a rubber grip or is one of them a unfinished air hose?
-maybe a bigger backing plate on the groin body connector
..and a differnet color for contrasting it.maybe square ..ish?
and form of slight arc to belly underside? ooooooh!
-like a old lockem up the maidens thingy....sort of.-what they call that?
-again getting very outstanding ,top notch ,a-1 ,high class
progress...sorry been sooo fuzzy busy. busy being.
you busy too mucho.bloody mucho.
XXXSLANT modelups.
-gee i hope he did'nt have his tongue sticking out when that thing slammed inta his jaw.!ow

;) :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

rattlesnake
04-29-2004, 07:53 AM
wow, i really love the last render, he looks more and more creepy , no matter what my gf thinks hes creepy, i think all machine parts are great, your giving them a cool look and creating interesting details, im a fan of your work sir, and i think youre very creative when facing your projects, i really like your alienware challenge entry and im enjoying this one too, ill be tuned for more action of course and will be here for spiritual support of course:beer: keep rocking!!! :buttrock:

JamesMK
04-29-2004, 07:55 AM
VinceFX : I see your point about the foot.... I guess it's because of the simple fact that it was the first thing I built for this guy... I have evolved a bit the last few weeks... No big deal though, I'll just give it a slight tune-up... Thanks for pointing it out!

Virtuoso : Thank you ever so much, those words mean a lot coming from you. And you are right - he is close to completion as far as modeling goes. I'm building his left hand now, and there are some minor details missing - but then he is indeed ready for final texture work.

Raxx : Glad you like it! The legs however will remain as they are (though I will tweak his feet a bit).

artemesia66 : Thanks! <clamp?>

Tremoside : Those words make me VERY happy! Thanks a lot.

airworks : You're right.... don't ask :D - Glad you like it.

CLONEOPS : Hey man... Thought you were dead, almost! :D The belly has indeed lost a bit of its former shape.... too much cutting to fit the pipes in.... might see if it can be smoothed out a bit.... those handles are indeed unfinished air hoses... will look into the groin adapter backing plate.... arc to belly underside is in fact a pretty cool idea... will see about that... the tounge... yeah... the tounge.... hmm.... thanks for your kind words and detailed observations :thumbsup: doood!

rattlessssssssssssnake : Thanks man, I'll say all of those things back to you as well!

claudiojordao
04-29-2004, 09:47 AM
Wow... it's been a while since my last visit to your thread, and I must say... that I don't know what to say :)

...ucking great James... Keep going!!!

JamesMK
04-29-2004, 11:36 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1704/1704_1083278167_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1704/1704_1083278167_large.jpg)

Here's the left hand for Echo. Notice that I accidently built a right hand instead :) ... ah, well, a quick mirror op will fix that of course.

JamesMK
04-29-2004, 11:38 PM
Claudio : Thanks dude, more stuff on its way!

To all ye guys out there: I'm sorry I have probably missed some of your latest updates... I've been kind of busy and have to try and catch up pretty soon... Anyways, close to completion on the modeling for Echo... textures any day now.... Cheers!

Virtuoso
04-29-2004, 11:52 PM
Once again .....very nice....You are some kind of excellent modeler James,with great attitude and talent.,plus some very nice design thoughts...............You are doing one hell of a nice job here in all aspects,from design to modeling to texture work..........keep up with this,it's all great to see come together..........Two thumbs up again for you............:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

And one of these for your passion..............:beer:

blueglitchman
04-30-2004, 12:35 AM
looks insane dude, GOOD JOB! :thumbsup:

Cartesius
04-30-2004, 01:10 AM
I like that hand! You've managed to achieve a very solid yet agile feel to it. Very good! :thumbsup:

/Anders

flinder
04-30-2004, 01:13 AM
i haven't been able to check in on these projects quite as much lately, but this is looking very nice. looking forward to the completed piece.

nice work.

Antropus
04-30-2004, 02:18 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1704/1704_1083099290_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1704/1704_1083099290_large.jpg)

I simply love this angle! Great pose and light also! Keep it up my friend :thumbsup:

Kris

JamesMK
05-01-2004, 11:45 PM
Virtuoso,
thank you again - I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy :bowdown:

Blueglitchman, Cartesius, Flinder,
your support is muchly appreciated!

Antropus,
thank you ever so much - I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy :bowdown:

:D

Anyway.... I've been refining the hand a bit before attaching it to the flesh. It got one finger more, for important posing reasons, and it's fully rigged with control wires and stuff like that.

Update coming up below - thanks again to all ye peeps... er... peeping in here, that makes all the work worthwhile!

Rock on!

JamesMK
05-01-2004, 11:47 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1704/1704_1083451653_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1704/1704_1083451653_large.jpg)

Added more stuff. Rigged the stuff. Stuffed the rig. Added additions. More moreover furthermore.

Sandpiper
05-02-2004, 12:02 AM
haha! Caught me off guard there with the finger! :) This is looking really good man. Like antropus said, the pose is awesome. Modeling the hand looks like it was pretty fun too. Keep up the good work. You're almost done huh? :D

DimitrisLiatsos
05-02-2004, 02:25 AM
i must admit i like the last pic with the hand and especially the meaning it gives with that middle finger ....hahahaha ok ,,,,i hardly can keep myself...ok i can't YOU ARE NUTS!!!

:bounce: :applause: :bounce:

rajdeep
05-02-2004, 04:43 AM
Great... When will I be able to work like this..hmmmm...Good work James and You enjoy your work tooo.. that's the spirit keep it up..

Virtuoso
05-02-2004, 10:00 AM
Your little bunny fits sooooo very well with your last "POSED" shot.................:p ;)

Always adding some fun and good stuff..............keep the updates rolling in james...............:thumbsup: :beer:

JamesMK
05-02-2004, 07:12 PM
Sandpiper,
he he he... Well, almost done I am... some details left... and texturing of course... according to my timeplan I've got three days left until I have to start working on the bunnyman.

Dimitris,
Lord of BUBBLES... A title well chosen :D As you can see I've borrowed your little-fellow-in-the-lower-corner-of-the-render trick... Couldn't resist a grinning wabbit there...

rajdeep,
it's just too much fun - impossible not to enjoy it :)

Virtuoso,
m'yep... a pose quite necessary, only for testing purposes of course, to make sure the mechanics are fully operational - I have to thank my good friend flyingP for suggesting an additional finger as well, it might not have occured to me otherwise.... more updates will come rolling in, maybe not today, but certainly tomorrow....

Rock on, dudes and dudettes! We are close to the middle of this challenge... all downhill from here!

adr
05-02-2004, 07:22 PM
Nice Update James . nice shader in this hand , the color looking great and the model too.

Keep going , Congrats:thumbsup:

Lemog
05-02-2004, 09:25 PM
Very beautiful projection, his pose is really impressive.

I like much the look of the hand, 4 fingers, it's largely sufficient, and that holds better in a hand, no overflow.

I nevertheless have a question, the thumb has it enough possibility of movement ? because can its principal role is gripping, easily grip something, seize something ?

I awaits the few small jacks now ensuring a great power these small yellow fingers... :thumbsup:

JamesMK
05-02-2004, 09:36 PM
adr : Thanx0rs :D

Lemog : I understand your concerns about the mobility of the thumb... the way it is constructed allows basically the same motions that a human thumb can perform, but it's a bit restricted due to the fact that it has one less joint, and also because the palm itself cannot "curl up" like a real one... But I believe it can cope well with ordinary mining tasks... I've got a little test coming up next... we'll see how that goes..... I will add a few jacks if I can get them to flow well with the overall design - if not, we'll have to pretend there is some secret inside mechanism handling things :D

Lemog
05-02-2004, 10:30 PM
I understood well the explanations and I trust you.

In the worst case, there remains the solution reserved to the creator, with immiter god, we can all allow us, and carry out the unrealizable one...

...you have the power... use it :D

Cartesius
05-02-2004, 10:36 PM
I don't think the missing joint in the thumb will be a problem. It's a mechanical hand and as such it relies more on brute strength than the tactile feeling a human hand would have. Whatever this hand grips, it holds.

Looking good as always, James, so continue in this style! :thumbsup:

/Anders

RedGlass
05-02-2004, 10:51 PM
I'm not sure if it's too late to fix this, but it seems that the "lower drill" isn't anchored well enough. This could be solved in two ways.
1) Making the base of the drill thicker.
2) Moving the drill further into the miner's stomach. (this also allows for some cool internal shots :P )

Other than that I don't see anything wrong with this! Keep up the good work, otherwise it's "wabbit season!" ;)

TheFirstAngel
05-03-2004, 01:34 AM
Hahaha, so ya showin us a stinkywinkyfinger, evil wabbit nasty pet you are... hahahaha, buttkewl update, the hands are looking very good. I still think, for his weight, the hydraulics on his feet are meeting their limits... Oh does c4d have blending textures? I could imagine, when he drills, pieces of stones hit the metal all the time, so there might be some "insetbumps" and scratches wich show more refletive metal.... looking great, James,
and me sa waitin' 4 much more of that hotstuff! Rock on !!!!!:beer: :wip: :thumbsup:

CLONEOPS
05-03-2004, 08:01 AM
-hand is real neat ,i kinda liked the homer simpson /
cartoon 2 finger and thumb one....but given the most important third finger just empowered the fat guy that much more.
-some black/rubber cells -pads /sticky on the underside of hand would assist in gripping .?.
..a nice little third finger tip light to shine through the night maybe...or some where else?
also i think the yellow tools takes focus away from
big fat boy-(mostly his face-),and the lower parts tex are better because they have some well worn look...tools would be dent up/ twist if possible, some bits- scratch and gouges definately!!
..yellow okay but very eroded-flaked with under- rust.
-ace in the hole mate!!
:thumbsup: ;)

Atwooki
05-03-2004, 11:37 AM
Really coming on well, JamesMK!
Haven't hit the threads for a little while of late, but love the progress your making.
That hand: Great design, and especially the finger tips are to die for..... :D

Off to browse 3D Festival for a couple of days :)

later

Atwooki

rattlesnake
05-03-2004, 10:43 PM
yeah James this is going nicely:thumbsup: nice modeling for the hand and mechanism seems to work fine, at least he can point things :D , good work James!!:bounce:

JamesMK
05-04-2004, 01:13 AM
Lemog : Yes box! If all else fails, I'll just blame it on artistic licence :D

Cartesius : Thanx for your support dude! And your hand is WIKKID, though I've already said that before, it doesn't hurt to repeat it.

RedGlass : Your points are noted and highly appreciated. I will probably make the base larger.

1st Angel : Yeah, I might have to beef up some of the leg mech.... And yes, C4D has excellent blend texture capacities, I'll probably go for a three layer setup, with shiny metal covered with grey primer covered with glossy yellow paint.... hm... should have a fourth layer of grease and dust there somewhere too.....

CLONEOPS : Dude, you're giving me such a lot of good ideas... I wish I could do this full time, then I could actually implement all your things.... Trust me, they are carefully noted and whatever fits in and I've got time for is totally considered.... small steps here... small steps....

Atwooki : Thank you very much! I can send you a finger tip if you want, gift-wrapped and all :D

rattlessssssssnake : He's like a legit pointer now, registred with the Ceresian dog authorities... haw haw....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, I've got an update for you guys, coming up below in a few seconds... hang tight.... aaaaaaaaaany minute now.....

JamesMK
05-04-2004, 01:18 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1704/1704_1083629929_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1704/1704_1083629929_large.jpg)

Attached the hand to his left arm. Adjusted the rig AGAIN. Played a little with yet another light setup. Tweaked the temporary skin shader a bit (basically removing the reflectivity and upping the reddish fresnel-controlled luminosity).

The background is just some stuff I grabbed at imageafter.com and messed up a bit in ye old Photoshoppe.

Pleribus
05-04-2004, 02:16 AM
If someone gave me a Fosters, I'd be pulling that face as well... ewwww. heh. If you are going to give him an Aussie beer at least make it a decent one...

Anyway, have been quietly following your work and have loved the progress of your entry. The hand is particularly impressive. Suits the whole style very well.

Will you be starting on the second character from your earlier sketches?

blueglitchman
05-04-2004, 02:54 AM
very awesome dude, two thumbs up :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

rattlesnake
05-04-2004, 05:18 AM
hey James is looking fine, i have a little suggestion... what about make bigger the hand? make it look like he can crush some big stones with it!!! well thats it, teeth looks awesome!!

Lemog
05-04-2004, 07:05 AM
I know what it remains to me to do now, to stop the beer, perhaps also 3d :beer:

I think nevertheless that the teeth are a little too clean, but it is true that the aluminium of the quills is not dirtying :D

A last thing, now that I see the hand fixed on the remainder of the body, I put myself the question to know if this yellow color is the must adapted. For the mechanical parts being used for work, not of problems, that made resembling the machines that we know.
But this mechanical hand, with perhaps a different utility, it seems less made for hard work, then I would see it certainly another color, or quite simply metal, without painting.

flyingP
05-04-2004, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by Pleribus
If someone gave me a Fosters, I'd be pulling that face as well... ewwww.

YES!!! I am not alone :beer:

shouldn't he be like crushing it against his forehead or something though ? :D

JamesMK
05-04-2004, 09:26 AM
Yeah, well, piggy suggested something else :D ... I couldn't be bothered with searching for a decent scan of another label, so I had to stick with the Foster's..... If the can makes it to the final image (not likely) it will be a Guinness.

Pleribus, blueglitchman, Rattlesnake, Lemog : Thanks for peeking! Most of your concerns will be cleared up eventually when I make the textures - however, I will not do any of them until I have finalised both characters and decided on the lighting setup for the final composition - - - in short, not for several weeks from now. Only modeling and basic procedurals at this point of the production. Patience, grasshoppers :D The hand might be a bit bigger, the hydraulics on the legs may be enlarged as well.... so many tweaks, so much more to do besides tweaking.... 45 days.....

flyingP
05-04-2004, 10:09 AM
Just wanted to get in quick and add my vote to the bigger hand suggestion as well.

Virtuoso
05-04-2004, 10:37 AM
Just keep on marching James.......these extra's add to the depth.I think possible "chunks" or heavy damaged deformation could be an idea in some areas,along with your extra layer of scratches,grease etc,etc...

Your work is coming along in high rate fashion,and I expect your next steps to follow suit...................Great effort and execution....................Keep it up,looking great..............:thumbsup: :buttrock: :beer:

Tremoside
05-05-2004, 03:46 PM
Hi man in wabbit mode,

This wabbit mode is one of my favorits. Can you tell me how can we (poor unwabbitted) turn ourselves on? The results here are evidence. Beer is the other one.
KEEP IT UP:buttrock: :beer:

JamesMK
05-05-2004, 05:09 PM
Since it's bumped now and all - in for some replies::

Pig & Snake : The hand is now significantly enlarged. Update coming later on, hopefully tonight, but that depends on how much stuff I can fix first

Virtuoso : Yeah, baby.... Chunks of grease! Thanks for your great support as always.........

By Tremoside
Can you tell me how can we (poor unwabbitted) turn ourselves on?

Oh dear... An unfortunate choice of words... It's quite tricky, and involves a good deal of blind luck combined with some foolish dreaming and guts.... But you can do it too, young grasshopper, just keep your eyes peeled and never hesitate :D .... oh Yoda... Waahaahaa!

Tremoside
05-05-2004, 05:29 PM
Oh holy poly!!!

Now I' got it. Maaan :beer:
THX for your reply on my page too.
cya :wabbit:---I miss the wabbit icon, we have to tell it to the moderators.

Cygnus-X
05-05-2004, 06:24 PM
WOW great render I really like this shot:buttrock: your caracter is really amazing, modeling ,texture, ligthing everything looks good :thumbsup:keep it up.

jddog
05-05-2004, 06:31 PM
ohhhh james I see your entry only now... :eek: + :surprised WOW that impress me !!!

:bowdown: wonderful work !

jdd

vincentvv
05-05-2004, 08:41 PM
..some brewery should pay u for NOT putting their name on that beer this charming boy is holding in his hand:)

...still cool looking though.

BTW u 3dguys should be in Copenhagen for that big 3D-event thing in the Bellacenter...

JamesMK
05-05-2004, 09:59 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1704/1704_1083790790_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1704/1704_1083790790_large.jpg)

Stapled the hand onto the left lower arm and integrated the pipes and stuff.

jddog, vincent_v, Cygnus..... thanks for peeking, guys!

Lemog
05-05-2004, 10:15 PM
hmm.. the penetration of the pipes under the skin, a true delight, and the metal agraffes must be a true pleasure for him. Always impressive friend :wip:

JamesMK
05-05-2004, 11:49 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1704/1704_1083797355_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1704/1704_1083797355_large.jpg)

Just for reference... the more or less final mesh in shaded wire mode here to let you see the whole thing... Minor tweaks remain, but I might save those for later when I see what really needs to be done and what can be left unfixed for the final composition. Textures still remain to be done, but as I've said before, they will be made later on when I've settled on a scene layout and lighting solution.

Echo Schnabel is now around 55000 polygons (some 300 000 at rendertime) and consists of a bit over 500 objects. Needless to say, this is a bit more than my crappy PC wants to deal with, and editing has been increasingly painful the last week or so. This means that it's time to start working on the bunnyman instead. For the final renders and texturing, I'll have to prepare for one hell of a ride, rendering lots of things separately, multi-pass and whatnot... it will end up being a compositing nightmare... Ah, don't you just love it?

vincentvv
05-05-2004, 11:54 PM
Can one 3D noob ask:
is the body made with Boxmoddeling?
(actually trying to learn a thin or two..hehe)

rattlesnake
05-06-2004, 12:01 AM
For the final renders and texturing, I'll have to prepare for one hell of a ride, rendering lots of things separately, multi-pass and whatnot... it will end up being a compositing nightmare... Ah, don't you just love it?

YEEAHH! i love it!!!:D hehe, but thats the cost you have to pay for your kick ass modeling!... the hand looks really cool and love the machine parts under the skin that simply:buttrock: all your modeling and concept is cool, wish u luck for rendering time man! of course good luck first for bunnyman!

JamesMK
05-06-2004, 12:31 AM
Lemog : Yeah, he loves the pain of being merged with this machinery.... a really twisted guy basically...

vincent_v : Of course you can ask that! The body, i.e. the torso, was made by cutting and extruding a simple primitive, I think I started with a cylinder this time.... so, yes, that would qualify as box modeling..... the head on the other hand was made using poly-by-poly modeling - simply starting with a single polygon and then adding edges and bridging stuff together until you get a solid lump of stuff.... faces in particular are easier to make poly-by-poly IMO because of the topological oddities.... Now you can tell me how the hell one can paint stuff in 2D and make it look really cool like your entry? :D

rattlesnake : Thnx!... and as usual I can only say the same back to you and your excellent progress!

Vladvrz
05-06-2004, 01:18 AM
Hey this guy is super duper.Man you are doing some excellent work.I like the bunnymen coming too.Keep it going,really super.:bounce: :thumbsup:

vincentvv
05-06-2004, 01:30 AM
I have just started trying out 3d max 6.0...im using FFD i think its called(my friend adviced me starting here, he gave me a head he had moddeled and now im just makin mayhem to it )
..But it looks like theres a great amount of flawes in the mesh...tried over and over again but every time i just ruin the mesh....very bad for my moral...still i have bout 20 days before it runs out...maybe ill end up kickass 3D´ing..making stuff like urs..( or maybe NOT)...hehe

I will try and give some more info bout 2D in my thread...sorry if i havent add`et enough:)

BgDM
05-06-2004, 02:22 AM
Man, the last thing I neede to see tonight was that fat ass staring at my face! :scream:

Put some pants on that guy!!! :surprised

Very cool stuff James. Your C4D skills, along with your overall skills, have improved imensley man. Great looking stuff.

BgDM

Saschi0815
05-15-2004, 12:41 AM
Aaarrghh - visiting the threads and ...... this one is another where I have to sit down and drink some milk to relax my nerves...:beer:

Really hardcore James!!!!

ohh, damn, i spilt my milk as I saw the hand... really fine modelling...keep on flowin', man!!!!:thumbsup:

ok bye, I have to clean my desktop.... :bounce:

Tremoside
05-15-2004, 01:11 AM
Hi James,

Can you upload again? I'm starving for inspiration:bounce:

Just an idea: please make a call for other Gangsta Wabbits like you for a short style punishment agaist these hacker guys.
Fur gangstaz....yepppp.
Cya, I'm tuned about your works

Rhezz
05-15-2004, 11:00 AM
Awesome dude. That fat guy is just inspiring. :)
One crit: The hand connector looks a bit funny...maybe you just delete the half hand you half..it just doesn't look right. Half the hand is there and then theres a complete mechanical hand on it.

jddog
05-15-2004, 11:42 AM
I know (remeber) that on your last post you told that you're so busy but still here around !!! You have my support and your work is really amazing and I like a lot the clean mesh work that you have made !!!

jdd