PDA

View Full Version : Machineflesh 3D Challenge Entry: Christopher Clark Bischoff

Pyke
03-17-2004, 04:47 AM
Christopher Clark Bischoff has entered the Machineflesh 3D Challenge.

Pyke
03-17-2004, 04:53 AM
OOOOOOOOoooooooooooh BOY!!
Now THIS is gonna be FUN!!! Im at such a loss over which challenge I want to try for tho!!! Both 2D and 3D are so incredible!!!

I think im gonna start on the 3D, and take it from there...

Well well people! START YOUR ENGINES, and BRING ON THE PAIN!!!

-C-

nuclearman
03-17-2004, 05:51 AM
Welcome back, Chris! Should be interesting to see what you come up with this time. :-) "Take a pinch of Geiger, a dash of Dante, a bit of Cliver Barker ... and a pound of flesh," eh?

Ah, the joys of a global community of sick and twisted artists!

Ladies and gentlemen, it's dyin' time. :-)

Pyke
03-17-2004, 05:57 AM
We are the normal ones damit! Its all those other people out there....damned loonys... :)

This is REALLY gonne show some rather messed up minds! I just hope that mine is twisted enough!

TheFirstAngel
03-17-2004, 06:42 AM
Great to meet ya here, Chris! Well well, this is goin to be fun 4 sure, best luck mate ad rock da house, this topic should be like a homegame 4 u :)
Rock da house!

JamesMK
03-17-2004, 07:19 AM
I'm sure you'll twist this up good! :thumbsup:

Good luckeroonie!

Pyke
03-17-2004, 09:04 AM
Hehehe-Im gonna take that as a compliment. :)

I have an idea that is pretty twisted..infact, wen I told my mother (who im trying 2 convince 2 join the 2D Challenge), she said that it made her feel a little 'uneasy' and 'queezy'.

Expect some updates in the coming week!!

-Chris-

Pufferfish
03-17-2004, 09:20 AM
Greetings Mr Pyke.

Will be surely interesting to see what you cook up this time!

Good luck! :buttrock:

-PFish

Pyke
03-18-2004, 08:23 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1673/1673_1079644999_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1673/1673_1079644999_large.jpg)

:: Nina - T h e // E v o l u t i o n // o f // B o n e ::

Not merely a joining of bone, flesh, blood, and metal-but a complete fusion, where one is no different from the other. Tendons weave in with hydrolic pumps, brain tissue and silicon chips exist and function without boundries, without limits. A true living breathing creation-technology and humanity comeing together, creating its first hybrid soul.

A human and robot have 'concieved' this child. The 1st in the next step of human evolution. A creation of love for some, but a bastardisation of humanity for others.
Not entirely human, not entirely machine. Covered in organic flesh, transparent enough to make out the technological and organic fusion of her organs.

A robotic midwife, covered in a black plastic holds her...her parents look on in the background...human mother, robotic father...holding hands...crying.

JamesMK
03-18-2004, 08:25 PM
Positively horrible! I love it! :buttrock:

TheFirstAngel
03-18-2004, 08:33 PM
Evil lil soup you're cooking :) yummy :drool:

Rei Ayanami
03-18-2004, 08:34 PM
dont stop with the pills

nice idea tho, you sick freek!

splotch
03-18-2004, 08:48 PM
good to see you again... i used to always love you work style..and expecting something huge here wish you the best luck man ..

waiting for your WIP,

:surprised :wip:

Bezerker75
03-18-2004, 08:58 PM
nice concept....call me sick but i wanna see more..ha!...this challenge rocks...keep em coming mate!:beer:

Pyke
03-19-2004, 04:56 AM
Hey Guys...

Thanks so much for the encouragement! Monday is a holiday here, so I should be able get some more work done (although, more than likely it will be more concept work-I really cant see me begining to model for AT LEAST another week!).

Keep watching!!!

-C-

Continuumx
03-19-2004, 07:05 AM
Pyke,

Nice to see you have a concept story line before jumping into the storm that is brewing.

I must say, your storyline has peaked my interest because it is very ohonest and very original!

-Contx

Virtuoso
03-19-2004, 07:59 AM
Pyke...............very nice to see a storyline with some depth and originality.A deep dark and well done concept too I might add.I hope you do well,I know you will,and it will be interesting to see this concept grow 3D roots..........:beer: :cool:

Pyke
03-19-2004, 01:11 PM
Thanks for the comments.

Continuumx

I think that a strong backstory can do wonders to an image.
I tried to steer away from the whole 'Cyborg mutant' thing that I knew people where going to do.

I am definately aiming for an emotional reaction for this image. It is going to be extreamly hard to keep that cuteness and innocence that new-born babies naturally have, but make it 'off putting' enough to cause you to take a repulsive second glance.

Virtuoso

Thank you very much.
I only did one or two smaller sketches before this 'final', which I kept very loose, and focused instead on the main areas I wanted to highlight.

It is very hard in the concept tho to convey what I want under the skin...the slightly transparent layers of machinery and blood...
I am downloading some tutorials for skin shaders as we speak!

I bought a doll from a second hand shop today, and have been studying its proportions carefully. Especially its face and hands...
I am tweaking my model of the babies nose, and will upload a 'major' update before the end of the weekend.

Stay tuned!!!

DimitrisLiatsos
03-19-2004, 02:13 PM
Interesting concept...and hands full with modeling and texturing.

me like!!!!

:bounce:

Continuumx
03-19-2004, 04:08 PM
Pyke,

I am with you on the developing of the project for this contest versus the typical man-machine cyborg variant. Which we will see a lot of.

I will be paying attention to your thread and giving C&C as you progress!

Contx

R.Vor
03-20-2004, 09:40 AM
Nice concept...
Kinda reminds me of matrix(that thing that goes into the body)...
Will be watching this.
Good Luck :beer:

Logadin
03-20-2004, 09:44 AM
It's the BEST concept art I have seen here!
Waiting for 3D modelling.

cobalt1410
03-20-2004, 04:33 PM
really cool concept.

Quite disturbing to look at and I can't wait to see the image progress.

Good luck with the challenge.

davedavidson
03-20-2004, 04:42 PM
nice concept
i will also be watching this thread
u sick freak
:)

keltuzar
03-20-2004, 05:54 PM
nice work pyke I am inspired to think of something new now!
:thumbsup:

sonicstrawbery
03-21-2004, 12:16 AM
A very good idea Pyke , it makes me think a lot about the movies Tetsuo and Akira.
I'm looking forward to see how do you plan to do that, it's going to be fun :buttrock:

Good luck

Cullen
03-21-2004, 12:53 AM
nice concept mate...
love the dark image

Pyke
03-21-2004, 06:19 PM
DimitrisLiatsos, Continuumx, R.Vor, Logadin, _dd, keltuzar, cipher and Cullen, thanks so much for the encouragement!

Cobalt-Yeah, I realy wanna make a disturbing picture. :)

OK GUYS (and girls), here we have the progress so far of Nina.
She is a little bit shy...so forgive us. :)

http://www.trapgraphics.com/mechflesh/NINA1.jpg

Still needs A LOT of work. Im scraping the ears altogether (ears are DAMNED hard!). Also, her eyes need to be 'puffier' (thanks James), and the face in general needs to be more..newborn like. Right now she looks a good 6 months old.

Texture wise, im still working on getting a propper 'look' for her. A lot of the mechanics and bone/muscle structure is going to be modeled, but m still testing to see how much I can get away with in the texture phase.

C&C wanted as always!!!

-C-

JamesMK
03-21-2004, 06:20 PM
Well, as I just said - Eww! Excellent!

and the other stuff... :beer:

Shadow Seraph
03-21-2004, 06:24 PM
Well I must say, I agree first with the story, a good story greatly enhances the art, I am doing the same with mine, truly good to have background. Love the art so far, might even want to get more gruesome on it ;) Keep it coming, always a joy to see insanity at its best!

Rhezz
03-21-2004, 07:19 PM
Ya you're right abuot the eyes, they gotta be more puffy.

Pyke
03-21-2004, 08:15 PM
James, TY m8. :)

Rhezz-Im doing that as I type...

Shadow Seraph, thanks m8.
Im really trying to steer away from the classic 'gruesome' look. I dont want this to be a bloody fleshy cyborg type thing, with screws, and metal plugs, etc etc etc. I want it to look 'smooth'....hard to describe. But suffice it too say, theres not gonna be any decomposing flesh, or bloody bones. Well...there will be placenta....

DimitrisLiatsos
03-21-2004, 08:21 PM
This already looks very promising....i am very interested to see what the mood will be as this will be evolving to your final after 3 months...very interested......now...get to work!!!!

pigwater
03-21-2004, 11:25 PM
pyke ... this is so sick and twisted i have immediately subscribed ... :beer:

the last shot looks good and gross .. nice work:thumbsup:

Pyke
03-22-2004, 07:21 PM
DimitrisLiatsos, pigwater

Thanks guys!

Updates....

http://www.trapgraphics.com/mechflesh/NINA4.jpg

Still trying to work on the look of the skin...its gonna take a while, and i NEED to get this right, because it is the cornerstone of the image.

Fake SSS is hard!!!

-C-

mv
03-22-2004, 08:15 PM
Pyke.. your idea is great.
And you have 3 months.
Be steady, do the things the right way, and you'll create an awesome piece.
Why are you already going for the texturing? you didn't even finish the modeling... you're rushing.
I don't really like the shape and features of the head... and I think you're not totally satisfied either. Work more on your modeling, show your wires, get critiques, improve. Study baby proportions. Do the entire modeling before starting the textures (especially if you want to show the mechanics below the skin - how can you know if your translucence will look nice if you don't have anything underneath?).
One thing after another , step by step.
:wip:

JamesMK
03-22-2004, 08:27 PM
Those renders look great, Christopher!

BUT, as m@ correctly points out above - don't rush into texturing already. I know how hard it is to stay away from all those testrenders and shader tweaks (hell, I've wasted countless hours doing that as well the last few years) - - - sure, it's rewarding and fun to do, but you may run the risk of fooling yourself into using geometry that could be so much better (not that there's anything wrong with the evil babyhead here, but it is not done yet)...

There's an old swedish saying that I find appropriate here:

Your model is not done until it looks absolutely kick-ass in plain grey openGL view with a single flat light. Once you've got that, then it's time to do shaders (or lights).

In Pyke we trust!

imscifi
03-23-2004, 02:06 AM
ok, your not going to have it so easy since the last contest... I expect a hell of a LOT from you... I agree with JamesMK. Finish that model... then show all the great shaders and textures! Looking good!

:thumbsup:

Rhezz
03-24-2004, 09:11 AM
yea as mentioned above...youve got great talent and a hell of a freaky idea...dont rush mate. :)

The modelling still looks kinda weird....it just doesnt seem right. :)

oh and a general rule I tend to do (ok Ive only made like 3 models but Ive been following this from the start)....always do your geometry before you even think about opening photoshop. :)

Pyke
03-24-2004, 10:00 AM
Damn you people...making sence with all of your logic!

But I have 2 agree...I was overzelous, and tried to cover up the fact that I was not happy with my model by moving onto texturing.

I think that this concept DESERVES more time and polish-as I am very excited with it!

I think that the main thing that is throwing me off here is that this baby is a good 6 months old. It should be wearing diapers-and I want my baby to be wearing placenta. OK...that kinda grossed me out a bit...
I have worked on a few more polished drawings, and shown some people, and we all agree that its starting to look a little better.

I found some EXCELLENT extreamly hi-res images of babys still inside the womb (between 7 and 9 months), and am scrapping my current model completely and starting a-fresh. I even phoned up my drinking partners and cancelled this weekends bar crawl. Sure some bar tenders wont be able to send their children to univercity, but in the end, it will be worth it!

Thanks again guys, and check back soon!!!

-C-

ps-if anybody knows any good shaders or tutorials to fake SSS with MAX 5, pls either post em here, or PM me. Thanks!

Quizboy
03-24-2004, 10:18 AM
Hi Pyke, great concept! Maybe it's okay if you use a baby that's 2,3, or even 4 months old as reference because it could be that your hybrid baby would come out of the womb bigger than a normal baby since its absorption of nutrients during gestation would be 100% efficient as compared to a normal human baby.

Cheers!

DimitrisLiatsos
03-24-2004, 12:04 PM
This is absolutely beautiful idea and so far realisation...following very close this one !!! The rest of the guys are right ...take your time ..u have 3 months....don't work fast on texturing since it will be a strong key element on your idea...

Keep working man..u have top theme there!!!

Pyke
03-24-2004, 12:34 PM
Thans guys! I really apreciate the comments!

I will be posting an updated drawing soon, and in the interim, if anybody wants 2 chat to me, im usually in teh CGTalk Chatroom ( /server irc.freenode.org #cgtalk ), or on MSN ( stophie@hotmail.com)

Catch y'all around!

-c-

Pencil_Whipped
03-26-2004, 05:12 PM
Hey there,

Pencil_Whipped here. hank you for taking time to write on my forum. As it turns out I own and LOVE a lot of Nick Park movies, so you hit the nail o the head there. I thought I'd go ahead and check your work out and see what I can do.

I think the concept you were going for, if not a 'dirty' or 'decayed' look, was a look of 'mother machine', Where the parts and flesh grow as one, as if this was a rudimentary step in this being's 'evil'ution. So the parts look surprisingly natural when paired up against the flesh. Am I half right? Half wrong? Totally one or the other?

I couldn't find what software you were using for this, so I can't help you with detaied tech info on SSS. The other people were right though, don't rush into the texture job. You got a while yet before the contest closes. Just remember, it doesn't do a lick of good to put the finishing touches on an unfinished model. Build up the foundation first. You got a good solid concept there, please don't rush into it.

The only other thing I know of would be to go ahead and use whatever means is necessary to ecreate a genuine SSS effect. If you had 3ds max 6, I could point you in a good direction. A neat idea to toy with would be to have the skin translucent to the point where you can see the insides...covered in circuit board components...like Akira. Great stuff by the way, I'll check you out again soon. Take care.
-James

Pyke
03-27-2004, 04:34 PM
Pencil_Whipped

Its only a pleasure mate. Your mechanicle modeling is really inspiring!

Your explanantion of the 'feel' im trying to achieve is spot on. I dont want to go with a 'Matrix' style augmentation of my baby-I want it to be natural...or, as natural as it will allow.

I am using MAX 5 for this, and unforunately dont have any of the second party renderers, apart from Brazil, which has size restructions. So im stuck with faking it!

I have gotten some 'pleasing' results with using and mixing raytraced materials, with falloff's and a few tricks here and there. I am concentrating on modeling right now tho-and am still trying to think of a defining 'thing' that will give my image an edge over the plethora of amazing looking designs I have seen so far...
But thats still a little way into the future.

And now...UPDATES!!!

Here is an update of my modeling of Nina's 'New Fetus'.

I have made it different from the reference, but I wnt to keep the feeling of absolute peace that image shows. Her nose does need tweaking tho...

C&C Always welcome!http://www.trapgraphics.com/mechflesh/nina%20fetus%201.jpg

Borro
03-27-2004, 04:50 PM
I liked your previous work and i think you'll do even better now!

airworks
03-27-2004, 04:59 PM
Hey, really cool, i i dont know of you tried but if yer usin Maya then cloth is really cool (if you tweak for a bit) to make a sort of embryonic sac type pouch. But, then again i mostly do anim, so it might not be for this type of situation but, maybe for some different position renders, so you dont have to tweak everything in the scene for positions, and, dont know even if yer doin' a sac like fetus casing:/ Nice

mv
03-27-2004, 07:23 PM
now that's a better start :)
but if you want c&c show your DARN WIRES!! (and level 0, plz...) for now your mesh seems a tad messy... if you want a kinda purity you need smooth shapes.

TheFirstAngel
03-27-2004, 09:41 PM
So far a much better start. You have time, use it mate :)
I am used perfection from you, so... hehe, the second attemp was 100% worth it. Oh, your MSN ID seems not to work, never mind. Keep on rockin!:beer: :buttrock: :thumbsup:

Pyke
03-28-2004, 08:32 AM
Hey 1st-thanks man. PM me your MSN, and ill try to add you from my side.

Wires of a more completed head will be up by the end of the week! Im just drowning in work here...

JamesMK
03-28-2004, 05:29 PM
I like your new start a lot. Not much to crit yet though, so I'll hang around here waiting for an update....

Ok? Where is it?

tsunami4you
03-28-2004, 05:35 PM
very original and twisted!
i dig this!:applause:

Continuumx
03-28-2004, 06:04 PM
Pyke!

You got it! Go with this new model!!!!

I love it!

Like wham!! you are on the mark!!!!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Borro
03-29-2004, 10:35 AM
I like it, no I like it a lot... It's pretty spooky and evil so---> great job :)

P.S. I want to see more...

Kilduff
03-30-2004, 08:38 AM
OH YA, great job......... run with it now, dont stop, your last render looks so cool.

TheFirstAngel
04-02-2004, 10:26 PM
Keeep it up mate, *tapping with feet on ground* Update?
Hehehe...:wavey: :bounce: :beer:

Pyke
04-03-2004, 05:41 PM
airworks

Thanks mate. Im using MAX, but I never thought of using a cloth sim for the organic parts...an excellent idea!

m@.

Wires a coming up. :)

JamesMK tsunami4you Continuumx Borro terrance stk the1st_angel thanks so much for your comments! I hope not to dissapoint...

OK! Here is my latest update...
On the left is the concept. I nailed it down as close to how I want the final, so that I dont have to do any unnessesary modeling, and can focus on the parts that really need the atention. I learned from my last challenge that working out your composition early on, and not after all the models are complete, is a VERY important aspect.

C&C always wanted!!!

http://www.trapgraphics.com/mechflesh/WIP%20UPDATE.jpg

-c-

JamesMK
04-03-2004, 05:50 PM
Aaahh... NOW we're talking!

Looking super! There's something to start slapping crazy shaders on.... :thumbsup: ... what a guy! :D

OK, so the mesh looks a bit messy, but who cares with such a perfect look?!

Pyke
04-06-2004, 09:22 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1673/1673_1081286572_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1673/1673_1081286572_large.jpg)

OK! New Updates...just some work on the hands. Im leaving her head as is for now. I know that the mesh is messy (heheheh James), but as James pointed out, as long as the final result looks good...
This is a still image, and not ment for animation, so I actually did this as an experiment, and did alot of my cuts and tweaks in the perspective view, pulled and pushed to get the lines looking smooth there. Its worked nicely so far!

The hands are coming along nicely, but may look a little bit old. Im going to add a layer of 'baby fat' ASAP. Then its onto the arms and body, and I can get into the machine parts. Got some fantastic ideas for it! So stay tuned!!!

-Chris-

ps-James...I have been SO tempted too slap a few shaders on her...but NO! Not till the entire thing is modeled! ;) I am organising some very hi-res pics of a baby tho, as soon as DD_ manages to get his baby onto the scanner. :)

JamesMK
04-06-2004, 09:33 PM
Yes! Looks awesome. Those hands are perfect IMO... Good to hear you have managed to stay away from the material tweaks... Unfortunately I haven't practiced what I preach entirely myself lately :blush:

Anyway - excellent progress :thumbsup:

EmpY
04-06-2004, 09:51 PM
OMG how could I have missed this?!!
Pyke, thats crazy good, everything!!
Keep it going!!!
:buttrock:

DimitrisLiatsos
04-06-2004, 10:15 PM
Yup....you are officialy In THE NUTS club too....

Inspiring work...i want to see it finished.

work man...let's see some more!!!!:bounce:

rattlesnake
04-07-2004, 12:23 AM
wow, thats becoming really nice, i loved your work at allien ware challenge, you have skillz no doubt, is there something u cant do well in cg?, ill be tuned for the next updates, good job:thumbsup:

TheFirstAngel
04-07-2004, 12:42 AM
This is an amazing "restart" let's say, it's now fitting to what you really can do.

The hands could be a tiny bit smover, but its just a minor detail.

Fantastic progress, Keep on rockin' mate!!!

Pyke
04-07-2004, 06:12 AM
Hehehe-Thank you so much guys. Im humbled by your comments!

Its been very hard to keep her as peacefull as possible, but her modeling is almost complete (should be close to the end of the week). Then the fun starts!

Keep checking back folks!!!

-c-

Pyke
04-08-2004, 04:48 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1673/1673_1081442937_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1673/1673_1081442937_large.jpg)

Completed modeling of the organic parts of the baby. Now its onto the fun stuff!

Pyke
04-08-2004, 04:49 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1673/1673_1081442985_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1673/1673_1081442985_large.jpg)

A bigger shot of the final baby model.

JamesMK
04-08-2004, 05:09 PM
Hot damn! That looks incredibly good. Can't believe it's 3D, almost... the fingers are somewhat squarish though - but this is just great great stuff. Aren't you really happy you started over?

Rhezz
04-09-2004, 02:22 AM
wow! Great model! If I didnt know Id think it was a photo of a baby :applause: :applause:

One thing that strikes me though is there is a clearly visible seam just above the eyes. Starts from the bridge of the nose and works its way accross...you should fix that :)

oh and can we get a wireframe?

Pyke
04-09-2004, 08:05 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1673/1673_1081497947_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1673/1673_1081497947_large.jpg)

The wire in that 'progress shot' is a little to small, so here is a direct capture from MAX.
The wire is very dirty (well, not VERY dirty, but dirty enough to be called...erm...dirty. :) ), but the end result is nice, so im sticking with it. :)

James-I agree with the boxyness of the fingers, but I cant figure out why they are looking lije that, when they are definately rounded in on the model. Im going to have a relook, and maybe have to make a vew cuts along the figers to exagerate the 'roundness' of the fingers...or perhaps its the lighting. Ill post an update tonight!

Rhezz-Heheh-I saw the seem, and went back and studied my model to find it...then I realised that its the shadow being cast by the light thats sitting slightly underneath the arm. ARGH!
The final image will be using area lights (my PC will fall over with GI), so I should be able to get rid of those ugly sharp shadows.

JamesMK
04-09-2004, 08:10 AM
Re: boxy fingers - lighting could play tricks of course... the wire doesn't look boxy in that area either... strange.... relax the mesh a bit perhaps? Don't know how many smoothing iterations you're using here... looks like one only should suffice perhaps, in which case there shouldn't be any squareness even if the level 0 mesh is a bit non-relaxed..... maybe the lighting is the key after all... good luck updating no matter what! :thumbsup:

mv
04-09-2004, 12:43 PM
yup, that's a lot better - I won't criticize your non-academic wires cause you seem to be satisfied - but : there's a strange depression in the brow - eye area. The vertical lines are not well aligned.
I think the fingers look squarish only because of the overdefined "wrinkles-things-on-top-of-phallanx-joints" (whatever it is called in english) that make unnatural lumps breaking the smoothness of the surface.
Keep it up!

theuni
04-10-2004, 12:41 PM
great work... I can`t wail to see the machine parts on this illustration...

davedavidson
04-10-2004, 01:49 PM
really nice work m8
love the feel in the last couple of renders
and i too cant wait to see the mechanical parts added

DimitrisLiatsos
04-10-2004, 04:20 PM
peacefull and beautifull :beer:

number9
04-10-2004, 11:21 PM
Very nice model! I like the expression on his face.

When looking at the wire, I can see that the upside of the fingers have quite alot of detail on a relively flat area (might be the angel though). So I guess this is making the mesh denser, causing the boxyness". So I think you have to make the fingers a little rounder on the upside.

madshooter
04-11-2004, 11:10 AM
Hi,
Hey baby is looking cute. I just saw your model, Amazing and also the texture has come out very well it is looking damn real.

Keep it up, great job.:thumbsup:

Pyke
04-12-2004, 08:37 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1673/1673_1081802244_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1673/1673_1081802244_large.jpg)

Some minor tweaks....

Pyke
04-12-2004, 08:46 PM
JamesMK, ive relaxed the mesh, and its looking better, but its still a little square. Your right tho-its 1 iteration.

m@. I took out the major wrinkles on the fingers, but when I took out everything altogether, the figers didnt look like fingers...but like bent sausages. :) I think ive reached a good compromise.

_dd , im working on the mechanicle parts now. Im still trying to nail down a definative 'look' for them tho...

DimitrisLiatsos, thank you man! Much apprecited!

Say so Long, I agree with turning up the ends a little bit...Ill work on that before the next update.

madshooter, thanks man. Really appreciate it!

...................................................................................

More updates soon! I hope.. :)

JamesMK
04-12-2004, 08:56 PM
Very pretty bent sausages! :D

No, kidding, it looks ace now. Much better.

One more thing - there's some weird deformation going on with the thumb, particularly the bit with the thumbnail... Don't know where it comes from, but it looks a bit skewed.

Excellent stuff :buttrock:

mv
04-12-2004, 09:15 PM
yep, looking better. Though I still think you can go even chubbier on those hands. I second the thumb issue. Keep it up.

claudiojordao
04-13-2004, 11:11 AM
Great Pyke, no words... yeah... no words inded... :thumbsup:

Pyke
04-14-2004, 04:23 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1673/1673_1081959838_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1673/1673_1081959838_large.jpg)

Thought it was about time to show you guys some of the techy bits that are going to be fitting on my baby!

Here is the work done so far on the umbilical cord of the baby.

C&C As always wanted!

davedavidson
04-14-2004, 04:27 PM
nice work
i can see this final image is going to have a really nice feel to it
as these renders already do

so damm u for that
im interested to see the baby in position though to see how well they work together

EmpY
04-14-2004, 04:57 PM
I like the feel totaly!!!
It's gonna be a killer pic!!!
go on:bounce:

Gregwid
04-14-2004, 10:48 PM
pretty freaky,but well done.I like to see the hands be more chubby too.Nice work man.:buttrock:

DimitrisLiatsos
04-14-2004, 11:24 PM
What comment do u need man...your texturing and lighting is great...!!!!!

RKurczewski
04-16-2004, 01:03 PM
Yeah. Well... topics like that make me feel looser even before I'll start working on anything. Only advice I can think about is about incadescence- if You will take a look at photoses of fetuses (I hope it is a right word) You will surely nottice that their skins seems to be almost translucient- I mean- light goes easily in and makes it ...maybe not glow but...oh...shine ? I hope You have idea. It should help to underline difference between biological and mechanical parts so may be worth consideration...

Pyke
04-16-2004, 01:28 PM
Hey Guys,

Thanks so much for your comments. I really appreciate them!

_RK_-i know exactly what you mean. I did some research on fetuses, and, well, i found that mine doesnt really fit into any real age group, but is closest to 7/8 months. By that time the skin is fully formed, but is still rather thin as body fat under the skin hasnt completely formed yet, so you will see veins and quite a bit of surface tissue, which I hope to get that effect with layers of textures and transparnecy masks. The mechanical parts will be in that layer underneath the skin...

Unfortunately I dont have an SSS Enabled renderer, but I am doing some tests to fake it, with possitive results!

I have started on another personal project, because I dont want work on this entry to become stale. Expect a few updates soon tho!

-Chris-

mosconariz
04-25-2004, 06:52 PM
:cry: Great work!

harnelbe
04-25-2004, 07:02 PM
Incredibles Lighting and modeling skills !
you are doing a beautifull work !
:buttrock:

Tremoside
04-27-2004, 03:33 PM
Excellent and elegant style and work.
It's the way to create something harmonious.
I just:bowdown:

DeCoder
04-29-2004, 09:21 AM
I think eyelid edges could be more round?

Excellent work dude. :thumbsup:

Pyke
05-05-2004, 11:08 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1673/1673_1083755302_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1673/1673_1083755302_large.jpg)

Here is the latest update (Ive been very busy with some other personal projects as well as actual work *sigh*).
I have added in body hair (only really visible in the hi-res version), and some of the machine parts under the skin.

C&C as always appreciated!

Pyke
05-05-2004, 11:10 AM
DeCoder

I think eyelid edges could be more round?

-----------

I agree man. Im going to put a slight visible eye lash there, thta should 'fix' that area up. Check for it in the next update, where i will post the 'full sized' details of certain areas.

Tremoside

harnelbe

mosconariz

-------

Thanks so much guys! Really appreciate it!

davedavidson
05-05-2004, 11:20 AM
comming along very nice indeed
love the head details so far

JamesMK
05-05-2004, 01:04 PM
Nice update, Pyker thingy! I like those things under the skin... very subtle, yet very machinefleshy.... Muy neato!

DimitrisLiatsos
05-05-2004, 02:43 PM
i think eyelids are fine.....man...work of art.....nuts!!!:bounce:

madshooter
05-17-2004, 05:43 PM
Hi,
Concept, modeling and lighting:bowdown:
I like your work it is simply amazing:)
Cant wait to see the next update keep it up:thumbsup:

mikedisa
05-17-2004, 05:55 PM
Great detailing and sense of lighting.

I guess you need to add the feel of ambience more like the liquid feel if your character is submerged in liquid.

Great work.

All the best

Mike

ali-rahimi-shahmirzadi
05-18-2004, 09:14 AM
nice work .but remind me some movies
:applause:

Pyke
05-18-2004, 11:02 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1673/1673_1084878162_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1673/1673_1084878162_large.jpg)

Playing with lighting setups. Still need 2 work on the modeling of the mech parts under the arm skin.

C&C!

JamesMK
05-20-2004, 11:52 AM
The light fuzzy hair... the honeycomb pattern on the side of the head.... Pure beauty. Great lighting test as well. Nothing else to say! Ga-zing!

claudiojordao
05-22-2004, 06:08 PM
Hello Pyke, it's been a while since my last visit to your thread, and I must say that I'm amazed.
I agree with the last post of Mikedisa... and I would also like to beg you a favour... please, do not cut the arm for any mechanical parts. Play with your fantastic textures, like the one of the head.
You are doing a fantastic job.

Rhezz
05-24-2004, 04:58 AM
Nice stuff dude :)
Not much to crit as usual :)

Pyke
05-25-2004, 07:58 AM
Thanks guys-i really appreciate it!

James-Your work is astounding, and to get praiise from you is really a wonder. THANK YOU!

claudio, I agree. I am definalty going to keep the 'melded technology' feel for the arm mechanics.

Rhezz-Aces mate. Appreciate it!!

OK guys! well-the end is nigh! Im having some problems with my pc slowing down. The hair is taking up a massive amount of memory (im using my own technique-so no fancy plugins), which is slowing things down DRAMATICALLY. I did do a complete format on the weekend tho, and my PC is running twice as fast as it was-so lets hope I dont run into any brick walls.

More updates soon-especailly with full detail shots.

-c-

Pyke
06-07-2004, 03:56 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1673/1673_1086623788_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1673/1673_1086623788_large.jpg)

Here is the image with just the layers comped. No Post at all.

Pyke
06-07-2004, 04:00 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1673/1673_1086624039_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1673/1673_1086624039_large.jpg)

Playing around with different layer effects and colouring...Attempt 1...

Pyke
06-07-2004, 04:12 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1673/1673_1086624760_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1673/1673_1086624760_large.jpg)

More toying around....

Pyke
06-07-2004, 04:21 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1673/1673_1086625295_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1673/1673_1086625295_large.jpg)

Subtle Changes....

C&C always wanted!

davedavidson
06-07-2004, 05:09 PM
once again nice updates
i like the first clean unsmooth version alot but
prefer the head markings of the smoothed version better if that makes any sense
keep going m8 :thumbsup:

JamesMK
06-07-2004, 06:56 PM
Well, well, well... Mr Bischoff.... Not much to crit here, I'm afraid! You have done a splendid job this far, most notably in the shader department I might add... a most excellent piece of art. As you are very close to the final image, let me wish you good luck with this entry :thumbsup:

If pushed, I could say that overall it's a bit monochromatic with all this red - but there is a good reason for it to look like that, so I can't see anything bad with it really.

This is a definite :thumbsup: :thumbsup: entry!

EmpY
06-07-2004, 07:14 PM
Beautiful content and execution Pyke! :thumbsup:
One of my favorites!
:cool:

DimitrisLiatsos
06-07-2004, 11:06 PM
I agree with EmpY ...TOP Work!!!:bounce:

Pyke
06-08-2004, 06:48 AM
Hey Guys,

Thank you so much for your kind words! Hearing comments like this is really what makes it all worth it!

_dd-It does. ;)
Im still playing aorund with my different layers and lighting options. EVERYTHING is done on a separate pars and a separate layer, so the tweaking doesnt take that long to do (although rendering everything up at full res took a while!).

James-I agree...and Im still trying to figure out if I like it this monochromatic or not. :) Im gonna carry on tweaking until I get a satisfactory result.

EmpY and DimitrisLiatsos -Thanks so much guys!

Back to tweaking I go!

-c-

Pyke
06-14-2004, 06:19 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1673/1673_1087193961_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1673/1673_1087193961_large.jpg)

Uploaded this pic in the wrong milestone slot.... :)

I will be uploading the final image later today!

Pyke
06-15-2004, 03:00 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1673/1673_1087311639_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1673/1673_1087311639_large.jpg)

:: Nina - T h e // E v o l u t i o n // o f // B o n e ::

Not merely a joining of bone, flesh, blood, and metal-but a complete fusion, where one is no different from the other. Muscle weaves in with hydrolic pumps, brain tissue and silicon chips exist and function without boundries, without limits. A true living breathing creation-technology and humanity comeing together, creating its first hybrid soul.

A human and robot have 'concieved' this child. The 1st in the next step of evolution. A creation of love for some, but a bastardisation of humanity for others.
Not entirely human, not entirely machine.

Alone in the womb-peaceful...innocent...

Pyke
06-15-2004, 03:12 PM
Well, there we have it. The completed piece. And its about time!

Id like to take some time to shout out a few thank you's.

1stly-to all the other competitors. The inspiration I drew from your individual pieces is what made Nina come to life. Your willingness to help out other people, even in a challenge where they are essentially your 'enemy' is truely a wonderful thing. Thank you!

One of my biggest thanks has to go to m@, who forced me to start again...slower...with a clearer idea of my final piece. Without you man-I would not have a piece I can be proud of!

To JamesMK and Rhezz, for backing up m@, and really being blunt with me. Thank you guys!

To all the other visitors and posters in this thread, thank you for taking the time to stop by and offer your words of encouragment, and crits.

To Neil Blevins (if he ever reads this!), thank you for sharing your work with the world. Your advice and helpful hints really helped push Nina into reality!

To DD, for our inane MSN chats, and helpful advice throughout the challenge...

To all the chatters in the unofficial ( hhehe) #CGTalk chatroom-thanks guys!

To a certain man-who knows who he is, thank you mate for all the inspiration, and guidance! I wish that you had any idea how much i appreciate it!

In closing, I wanna dedicate this image to my gran, who died suddenly on the 8 May 2004. As long as your family is here-your spirit will never fade.

Thank you all!

-Christopher Clark BIschoff-

OZ
06-15-2004, 03:25 PM
VERY IMPRESSIVE!...i like a lot the unfiltered rendering..........but the best result maybe a blend between the two version.

JamesMK
06-15-2004, 03:35 PM
Congratulations on your finished piece, Christopher! It is a true work of art indeed, and you should be proud of how it turned out.

And, interestingly enough, the challenge in itself never turns into a contest - it's more like a massive collab... and that's what's sooooo great about it.

Yet - best wishes for the voting and all that jazz.... Great work!

Pyke
06-16-2004, 08:07 AM
-OZ- Thanks man-but im affraid that if i start to tweak again, I will never be finished!

JamesMK, I agree about the challenge becoming a collab....thats why I love it!

Thanks guys. Really appreciate it!

OZ
06-16-2004, 08:09 AM
GOSH!im in the same situation!!!!:blush:

DimitrisLiatsos
06-16-2004, 08:39 AM
Absolutely amazing image Christopher....CONGRATS MAN...i was waiting for your final with great anticipation. TOP WORK.

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

hope to cya in another challenge again...

Dimitris

EmpY
06-16-2004, 09:29 AM
:bounce: Congrats Pyke!!!
As cool as it can be, very futuristic, beautiful piece!!!
GOOD LUCK!!!
:applause:

Tremoside
06-16-2004, 11:16 AM
Congrats to you Pyke!!
Excellent job, sensitive, harmonious and well thought!
Just:bowdown: !
Best luck!

Irratio
06-16-2004, 12:41 PM
So far this was the only image I had to look twice at to discover the relation, as a compliment.

Pyke
06-16-2004, 03:14 PM
-OZ-

Hehhe-yeah-its like they say...artwork is never finished-only abandoned!

DimitrisLiatsos

I will DEFINATELY be entering the next challenge!

EmpY

Thanks man! I hope its not to futuristic tho...I wanted it to be more of a 'realisitc soon to be future' type image.

Tremoside

Thank you mate!

Irratio

If you are refering to the fact that the immediate relation between flesh and machine isnt that obvious until you really study the image-then I thank you! That is the exact thing I was going for!

---------------

Thanks everybody for taking time to leave comments here!

davedavidson
06-16-2004, 03:21 PM
very nice image m8
good luck with the contest and well i hope u come second (cause i dont want to loose)
;) :p :rolleyes:

nice one

Ravendsg
06-16-2004, 05:15 PM
Damn its really cool man. Nothing more to say :eek: juz amazing. Good luck! :beer:

Pyke
06-17-2004, 05:58 AM
dd, Ravendsg, Thanks alot guys! And dd-the feelings are mutual. :)

Versiden
06-17-2004, 08:31 AM
hey fellow SA, howsit ;p

excellent final man, congrats. I like the barcode on the forehead, very subtle.. but the details are there. Gr8 pose, looks very peaceful but at the same time menacing with the machine parts.

It'll grow up and be evil.. even more eviler than skeletor! (lol, j/k)

Ionized
06-18-2004, 03:16 AM
A very beautiful image you have created with a great deal of subtlety. The complete opposite to a lot of the more hard, cybernetic styled entried that are in the comp.

Definately an excellent piece of work!!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Pyke
06-18-2004, 06:55 AM
Versiden, Ionized

Thanks guys, I really appreciate that you noticed the peaceful yet menacing 'feel' i was going for. I really wanted to create a 'disturbing' image...and comments like your really make me feel that I was successful!

Versiden-where in jozi are ya?

Versiden
06-18-2004, 07:03 AM
edenvale ;p:buttrock:

Pyke
06-18-2004, 07:20 AM
Really? Im down in Orange Grove (just next 2 Linksfield), but Im Edenvale VERY often. My mates lives there (just off second).

You studying? Working?

madshooter
06-18-2004, 12:47 PM
Hi,
Amazing, texturing, modeling, lighting:bowdown:
Best of luck for your final voting :thumbsup:

mikedisa
06-19-2004, 06:56 AM
Really nice and the final image is great

All the best for the voting

Mike

newone
06-20-2004, 03:49 PM
It's good! Very good! Congratulation! Good luck for voting:thumbsup:

Ravendsg
06-21-2004, 04:06 AM
And, interestingly enough, the challenge in itself never turns into a contest - it's more like a massive collab... and that's what's sooooo great about it.
I agree :D And i can't say enough of this but this is quite amazing!! Congrats!! :beer:

syt3d
06-22-2004, 01:34 AM
nice, dude

goodluck

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.