PDA

View Full Version : What is the most important thing you've learned abouth mesh moddeling?

Iguiniz.X.
07-05-2002, 09:32 PM
Hi there,

I've entered my 3th challenge and because I'm a beginner I wanted to dedicate it to learn Mesh moddeling beter.

Until now the best thing I've learned of 3Dmax are how I chance the pivot point and the snap tool.
This knowledge made working with 3D Max a lot easier fo me.
with this question I hope I can get info about mesh moddeling which will make it easer for me to work with it.

What is the thing you have learned about Mesh moddeling which made it a lot easier to work with Mesh moddeling.
Things like how you always got not to much or to many segments and things like how you start building. rough> les rough> finer> detailed> finish or so. how hou eddit new segments or just how do I draw a circle on my mesh so I can extrude it later on.
And if you also could explain a bit how you do it.not only what because I won'tget any further without knowing how.

Well Thanks in advantage.:beer:
( I know tut are on the web but I think with this way I get to know things which are not in the tuts.)

kandyman
07-05-2002, 10:17 PM
the whole nendo/mirai ripoff workflow, of course.

Get the meshtools scripts!

Iguiniz.X.
07-05-2002, 10:19 PM
I already got that one.
But thanks:wavey:

rickycox
07-06-2002, 06:36 AM
what are the mesh tool scripts and the nendo workflow??

WarlockXKZ
07-06-2002, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by riki
what are the mesh tool scripts

Meshtools are scripts that makes life easier on mesh/poly modelling inside 3ds max.

You can get it here:
http://www.s21net.com/meshtools/

Check out the documentation on the same site for reference of what each tool does.

:)

Iguiniz.X.
07-06-2002, 05:23 PM
Also no ways of your way of approaching on how building a character with mesh, which made it a lot easier?:surprised

Laa-Yosh
07-06-2002, 07:53 PM
The volume - surface - detail approach.

Iain McFadzen
07-06-2002, 08:40 PM
The most important thing I've learned is...

...always listen to Laa-Yosh

Laa-Yosh
07-10-2002, 07:09 PM
Er, Iain, I don't know if you're joking with me here...

In case you're not, well, thanks ;), but I'm quite sure to be wrong from time to time. With work, you gain a lot of experience and it'll change the way you think about many things...

uxus
07-11-2002, 09:18 AM
edgeloops, edgeloops, edgeloops... :buttrock: :thumbsup:

bombyx
07-11-2002, 09:47 AM
The most important thing for me is to generate as fast as possible the general volume, in a very simple way .And when U got the proportions right, U can use the mighty Meshtools to add details .Always add faces instead of having to delete some.............

Iain McFadzen
07-11-2002, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Laa-Yosh
Er, Iain, I don't know if you're joking with me here...

In case you're not, well, thanks ;), but I'm quite sure to be wrong from time to time. With work, you gain a lot of experience and it'll change the way you think about many things...

I'm not joking at all. It was a combination of reading your maxrovat/subdivs site, reading Spiralloid (Bay's site itself as well the forum back when it was still flying), and watching Irfan Celik's head modeling timelapse, which taught me how to model in the first place (not discounting the amount of practice I put in of course :) ). I am now making a nice little living at it, so, umm, thanks very much :)

SheepFactory
07-11-2002, 08:17 PM
i also have to nominate Ambient Whispers timelapse tutorials. They were incredibly useful in helping me understand edgeloops and workflow.

all you need is a lot of practice.

:buttrock: :beer:

Laa-Yosh
07-11-2002, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by Iain McFadzen
I am now making a nice little living at it, so, umm, thanks very much :)

Well, I'm really happy to hear that! And as you have listed their names, I was standing on the shoulders of many others; the site itself is nothing more than a compilation of their knowledge.
I do have some plans with it though, but first I'll have to take care about my living too ;)

l_farley13_l
07-17-2002, 02:19 AM
As with anything Artistic - keep your mind working - all too often I can find myself (esp. when tired) doing things automatically and usally going against the flow, then delete and start the area again. So plan ahead and keep planning as you work.

Farley13

Neil
07-24-2002, 06:31 PM
A neat thing that i've ignored for a long time is that when you are modeling legs (or whatever), you can apply meshsmooth once to the box and then just work it from there, and then apply meshsmooth again (as your final one). IE: Don't waste time making tons of cuts to shape a rough object, let meshsmooth do it for you, and then use it again as the final touch.

skunk184
07-24-2002, 11:29 PM
most important thing ive learnt is....

1...never trust an indian holyman with your high quality charas.....
and
2...save your work every 5 minutes with the "save as" option

Joril
07-25-2002, 01:41 AM
practice makes perfect.
Cliché.
What?

levin
07-27-2002, 05:41 PM
the SPIRALOID workflow:

EDGELOOP then QUADRIFY

UnrealSnowman
07-27-2002, 06:59 PM
The most importat thing.. err... (thinks for a while)

1)
Plan your work! Though it's nice to let creativity flow, stay on the path to have your work done faster.

2)
Start modeling in very low detail, get the form right with what you have and then continue to the next 'layer' of detail..
(..not sure if it is what people refer to as 'volume-modeling'?)

3)
Don't 'merge' with the chair your sitting on.. This goes for many things, but I find modeling and animating the period that get's you on your toes at screaming cuz something just don't work. Taking a break once in a while is nice.. :thumbsup:

Iguiniz.X.
07-29-2002, 12:38 AM
thanks for all the feedback and replies.
Now I only hope I can work some more on my challenge and I learned for next one

:wip: Thanks again:cool:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.