PDA

View Full Version : Improvements

Jango
07-05-2002, 09:16 PM
Hi..

I would like to know which Improvements I should do to this Head model?! Any obvious texturing mistakes?!

http://www.lachsau.de/3d-rocks-it/full-dark-front-hitext-ohne-ohrringe-cropped.JPG

leigh
07-07-2002, 10:48 AM
Hey there, cool character so far :thumbsup:
But yeah, your texturing needs some work here and there...

- the image you are using for your bump map is too small, and as a result you have a bad loss of clarity in the bumps. It's also pixellating a bit.

- the lips should have a different bump to the rest of the face. Look at lips and you'll see what I mean. They need wrinkles.

- the eyes need reflection, and you also need to bring up the gloss amount on them.

- You've added some wrinkles to the corners of the eyes, which is cool, but you also need to add wrinkles to the underneath of them too.

- there are 2 weird-looking diagonal lines above the nose :surprised

- the colour map is stretching down towards the neck. This could be due to a planar projection that doesn't quite go with the slope of the model there.

- it's cool that you've added a little mole above the one eyebrow - no add some more!! Faces usually have a couple of blemishes on them :)

That's about it so far. Looking forward to seeing some updates!

Jango
07-08-2002, 08:21 AM
Wow, thanks for you reply, now I have some things to do on the texture.
(At the moment I am changing the geometry, because I would like him to look more bad/angry instead of this gentil face)

I repost my results.

Jango
07-12-2002, 10:33 AM
Ok, I did some further improvements to him.
At the moment I cannot see texturing any more :-)
So I started to do some blendshapes/morphtargets.

BTW: The runes were made in Photoshop later. Maybe I integrate them as a real tatoo to him with.
The skin of the inner mouth should be darker.

Ok, any other hints? :-)

Maybe he should have a piercing in the tongue, like you, Leigh.
:drool:

http://www.lachsau.de/boardpic/watch_you-cropped.JPG

leigh
07-12-2002, 10:53 AM
Hey Jango, he is looking cool! :tumbsup:
Nice lighting :)
Those eyes of his are really cool, by the way - this lighting shows their depth much nicer.
GIVE HIM A TONGUE PIERCING, YEAH!!! :twisted:

Jango
07-12-2002, 09:01 PM
Thanx Miss Texturing ;-)

Yeah, its no wonder that the eyes look better now, I changed them.
But its true, the lighting and the background make the picture look nicer.

tnx again for the tipps

Jango
07-17-2002, 09:32 PM
And here my almost final result.
I think I improved my texturing skills a lot.
(No wonder, I started from almost zero .. ;) )

http://www.lachsau.de/boardpic/cave-guard-800x600.jpg

leigh
07-18-2002, 07:36 AM
A great improvement Jango! Well done :applause:

You took a lot of inspiration from that recent orc thread didn't you? :)

I do think you can still add a lot of finer details if you have the patience to do so.
Like all those little chain, spikes and the rings at their bases - you could go in there and add scratches and rust and stuff like that.
Also, the leather (if it is leather) could do with some more work, especially on it's specular and diffuse. The current map you are using doesn't seem to be very good quality - or perhaps it is a small image that is being stretched a bit too much?

Also, that procedural you have used on the shoulders - a suggestion: Try making the grooves inbetween the raised bits a different colour. Generally, on a surface like that, grime would gather in between those raised bits, resulting in a different look :)

I've always said this - when texturing things, it's very important to have a clear understanding of what sort of things - such as weather, people, whatever - this surface will come into contact with on a daily basis. And it's the surface's interaction with worldly elements that eventually defines the way it's surface looks. I doubt this goblin scrubs his armour on a daily basis, so make it grimey and filthy in places!

Jango
07-18-2002, 11:03 PM
Thanx for your detailed comment.
That helped.
I improved my leather texture and added some grime and muddy spots to the armor.

But noooooow I will leave for 2 weeks to italy for holiday, so I will continue my work (animation and fine texture tweaking) afterwards..

Thanx again for the help.
I think with the good critics I improved a LOT in the last 3-4 weeks.

cu next month...

leigh
07-18-2002, 11:07 PM
Yup, you've improved :thumbsup: Well done!!!
Looking forward to seeing more of your work :D
Enjoy the holiday!

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.