PDA

View Full Version : Machineflesh 3D Challenge Entry: Cullen McKeown

Cullen
03-17-2004, 12:16 AM
Cullen McKeown has entered the Machineflesh 3D Challenge.

TheFirstAngel
03-17-2004, 07:51 AM
Great to meet ya here too!
Best luck and let it rock!:beer:

Cullen
03-17-2004, 10:45 PM
Thanks Angel.
I think the hardest part is going to be picking what style I actually want to go with.

JamesMK
03-18-2004, 12:00 AM
Really great to see you in here again, Cullen. Hope you'll be able to pick a style soon :beer:

Cullen
03-20-2004, 06:11 AM
Thanks JamesMK.
Well, it's the weekend so I hope to make a start on this.
We will see if I can churn out some crazy ideas.

Cullen
03-20-2004, 01:32 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1579/1579_1079789523_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1579/1579_1079789523_large.jpg)

First concept attempt and I love it.
Surgeon with all his tools implanted into him.
See WIP post for more details

Cullen
03-20-2004, 01:41 PM
BRAINSTORMING

Firstly. Maily just drawn the organic form at the moment and I will think of different things to add later.

Surgeon to have all his artistry tools implanted in him.
All tools work when triggered by his brain.
Include surgical stuff;
-scalple
-needle and thread
-injecting syringe (which can produce many combinations of fluids at different doses.
-camera on finger linked to visuals in his left eye.
-His right eye will be fish eyed, maybe have features for zooming, lock, etc. Look similar to a real eye though
-Scissors
-marker
-soldering iron?

maybe one of his hands could be seethrough to show all this stuff.

Is his brain showing? Why? So he can somewhow hook it up with wires and stuff to computers and machinery.
Machinery to keep him at optimal brain power during surgery.
Computers so he has constant access to medical information.

Maybe he is a famous surgeon, selling tickets to surgery and performs live, calling it an art form.

Maybe he enhances animals. Maybe I should have him working on a Kangaroo just to have a bit of Australia in there.

Cullen
03-20-2004, 01:47 PM
Hey all. So happy to have a direction now.
Fell free to coment. Tell me your thoughts.
I wont be able to work on this for a little while again... but the next step will be (besides concepting the 2d one... almost wanted to submit this in the2d section) to research what surgeons might use... and what modifications not only to him, but also the instruments can be made.

Cullen
03-20-2004, 02:13 PM
oh... and I want to try and keep this comic, cartoony style in the 3d version.

JamesMK
03-20-2004, 02:35 PM
I love that drawing - great style!

The surgeon himself doesn't look too mechanically enhanced though - on the other hand we see someone else getting it done, so perhaps that is enough to fulfil the brief.

Nevertheless- - Great concept! :thumbsup:

splotch
03-20-2004, 03:04 PM
nice to see you here ...
rock on :beer:
nice sketch
best good luck

nix0r
03-20-2004, 03:16 PM
nice concept :), I like the kangaroo idea :D

Cullen
03-21-2004, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by JamesMK
The surgeon himself doesn't look too mechanically enhanced though - on the other hand we see someone else getting it done, so perhaps that is enough to fulfil the brief.

Nevertheless- - Great concept! :thumbsup:

I know. I think it was suguested somewhere to start with an organic form, and then add to this. I really like this idea as I can think... "hmmm, what else does this guy need" rather than drawing heaps of mechanical stuff then justifying it later.

I also don't believe it has to be very mechanically enhanced.
I believe it can be any amount. As long as it is noticable.
Anyways, I think I wan't to keep my dude mostly human, and have subtleties enhanced.

Thanks for keeping an eye out James.
Thanks splotch and nix0r for your words.

Cullen
03-21-2004, 05:20 AM
I am not up to the model stage yet... but just asking what would you do for a still image...

- Model character in neutral position, bone, skin, repose...
or
- Model character in end pose

Both has high advantages and disadvantages. But what would you all recomend.

TheFirstAngel
03-21-2004, 06:41 AM
if u go just for the still and u might want to distort and work toony, it might be more productive to model in pose.

else if... you want to animate the scene... lol

depends on ur desires :)

Funky Groove ya chosen, Love the style!:applause: :beer:

JamesMK
03-21-2004, 07:25 AM
I see what you mean about the amount of mechanics, Cullen.

Model in pose or not... It's a tricky question. There are lots of advantages going for the pose straight away, but I've noticed a tendency to end up having to rig certain parts anyway while doing the final tweaks to the pose... Either way is good/bad... Yeah, that was helpful input :D

Beechdbum
03-21-2004, 10:32 AM
wow, thats just freaky i had the exact same idea as that.....lucky for me i decided to go with a different concept before getting my heart set on that one.

best of luck to you, looking forward to updates :thumbsup:

Cullen
03-21-2004, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by JamesMK
but I've noticed a tendency to end up having to rig certain parts anyway while doing the final tweaks to the pose...:D

Wow. I strangly didn't even think of doing that. Thanks. Thats a big help. It will be so much easier to... rig the hands for example, pose them and work from that.

And Angel, I like the idea of distorting it more and work toony. Yeah, I have to do the final tweaks in a posed position.

It's a shame... if it all works out maybe I will fix it up after the challenge for animation.

Sorry to here that Beechdbum. If you continue with your first idea your welcome to. I mean, even a similar idea can have an outcome of completly different results.

Good luck with everyone.
Hope your all havin fun.

Virtuoso
03-21-2004, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Cullen
I am not up to the model stage yet... but just asking what would you do for a still image...

- Model character in neutral position, bone, skin, repose...
or
- Model character in end pose

Both has high advantages and disadvantages. But what would you all recomend.

Hi Cullen....................I would recommend "posed"......without doubt.For two reasons........One being that the challenge lasts 3 months,you have the time,and with this time it's always best to get as much practice/experience as possible.Another reason is that in the long run you will have a model that can be posed in many fun and interesting poses,both in action and in everyday stance's..................A surgeon needs pliable fingers,you can go much farther in the long run with rigged fingers.......:beer:

The concept is unique,always a good thing.I think it's a good idea to keep a good blend of organic meets Machine for this challenge.Hope I helped.Have fun,I know you will.See you later for now...................:beer:

Cullen
03-21-2004, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Virtuoso
Another reason is that in the long run you will have a model that can be posed in many fun and interesting poses,both in action and in everyday stance's:

You are so right. You just tiped me the other way now.
It will be awesome to have another fully rigged character to play with.
Thanks Virtuoso.

Designer2
03-21-2004, 12:31 PM
i liked your sketch and work in alienware challenge, as i thought you have great sketching skills, i like this idea realy so great, because it is your first wip pic i only recommend you give camera more space and pull it back a little, to give more room for new ideas.:)

good luck.
:applause:

Quizboy
03-21-2004, 01:16 PM
this idea is cool. my dad would like it 'cause he's a surgeon. :eek:

DaVee
03-21-2004, 10:31 PM
Good sketch
Very drastic scene. Very dynamic.
This scene deserve to be animate.
:bounce:
This surgeon could have a multitude of stranges objects.

I love it
:thumbsup:

imscifi
03-22-2004, 04:33 PM
Hey Cullen... like the idea... as for whether to model in pose or straight and change later into pose... model strait and then pose afterwards... I modeled something in pose... and it was hard as hell to get it strait later on cause it defaulted to the pose as the base model... which sucked. But that's just my 2cents...

Looks awesome so far! get those wires going!

:thumbsup:

tsunami4you
03-22-2004, 04:40 PM
good idea but i think that u should make the mechanical stuff more vizible!

Cullen
03-22-2004, 08:58 PM
Designer2. Thanks. I'll think about pulling back, but so far I am really happy with staying close. In fact I would like to get everything closer and tighter. But still have all the same info.

We will see when I play with cameras.

Quizboy. Thanks mate. Has your dad ever wished he had this tool handy, or that tool handy at all times?

DaVee. Maybe I will animate it. I luv character animation... so why not?

imscifi. I am again reassured that I will model in standard position and move it later. Thanks for sharing your experience.
"get those wires going!"
I'm afraid not for a little while. I have so much to do at the mo, I am just so happy that I have some ideas on the table. It will all come together eventually.

tsunami4you. Don't worry, I fully plan on exploring this idea some more. I will be making mech bits more visible, as long as they don't look like they are taking over the character.
I want the character to be the feature.
But... who knows. If you all team up maybe you can change my mind. But I have a few ideas to put on paper firsrt.
I am thinking noticalbe mech around hands and face.
I will be quite fine with leaving the rest of the body alone.

Thanks all.

Cullen
03-28-2004, 10:31 PM
Stay tuned everyone... I have been pulling resorces of sergeons and their tools and I am drawing a few ideas....

Not sure if I should go with old fashioned tools or modern and futuristic tools.

But I should have some more stuff up sometime this week.

Pleribus
03-29-2004, 08:25 AM
Heya cullen,

Love the sketch and concept. I reckon you could do a view from the patients point of view which would allow some cool skewed perspective and a close up of his "utensils"... with the surgery lights up above, as if you have woken up half way through his proceedure...

Subscribing to this one ;)

Cullen
03-29-2004, 10:07 AM
That is an excellent idea. That is perfect.
ThangQ Pleribus.
I was just talking about some thoughts of a point of view perspective thing today (not for this piece) but I have some thoughts I would like to try.

Usually when POV's are attempted they fade the camera off to black or white... or have fish eyed... I think I might want to try what someone actually sees. It might look stupid for a still image, in which case I will remove it.

But what do we all see in the foreground? We all see a seethrough nose on our left and right. If we look down we see our checks, if we look up we see our eyebrows.

I have been thinking about this for a while, to do an animation with this effect. I don't think it has been done before... but if it has please let me know.

It is the only real way of telling if a character's head is facing one way and looking another.

Anyways.... lotz of (hopfully) fun testing.

Cullen
03-29-2004, 01:14 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1579/1579_1080566090_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1579/1579_1080566090_large.jpg)

Grafite version. Has lost it's cartoony look. But I think it has gained something extra

Cullen
03-29-2004, 01:21 PM
I did this concept piece on a huge paste board thing in grafite....why? I just felt like using grafite really. I create pieces in a slightly different process then I would on paper.
And this is what happened.
Anyways... yes, the cartoony look has gone. Will it return? I don't know yet. But in this one I especially like the expression on the monitor, with the head being sunk deep back into the pillow (yes... that is suposed to be a pillow) in pain.

As you can see I have made some of the "mech" parts more visible. The forced perspective on the feet I feel really works.
Anyways.... what are your thoughts all?

Pleribus
03-29-2004, 02:07 PM
Looking sweet dude... Loving the dark feel of this version... I think the strong backlight will really add to the look of the piece creating a real sense of horror that the patient might be feeling under the pain of the surgeons work. Will definately give the surgeon an almost monstourous look as he hunches over his patient.

Are you going to generate the forced perspective through modelling, or through the choice of camera FOV. (Not all that familiar as what max can do in terms of fish eye lenses)

Think you might have a little trouble with the position of the surgeon in relation to the light etc without really skewing his body as well as the patients (which isn't a bad thing). That is if you are going to try match this sketch to your final composition, anyway.

Really looking forward to seeing this make its transformation into 3D.

Shadow Seraph
03-29-2004, 02:54 PM
Very impressive. I like that you are experimenting in the way you are creating the concepts. Graf' work is a blast and can give you a whole new expression. I'm really looking forward to some more concepts just to see what is going on. maybe play with the background and the scene and really tie the character together by posting some different ideas for the same character... really enjoying your work though. I'm sure the final will be something worth looking forward to. keep it up ! :wavey:

Cullen
03-30-2004, 02:13 AM
thanx guys.

Are you going to generate the forced perspective through modelling, or through the choice of camera FOV. (Not all that familiar as what max can do in terms of fish eye lenses)

I think to a certain extent I will use the camera... but if I have to I will force the model. There are plugins I could use for the fish eyed lense... but if I need to I can just create my own lense.

Wouldn't I just have a refractive shpere around the carera, and just play with the IOR... Is that how it is done (I mean without plugins).

Think you might have a little trouble with the position of the surgeon in relation to the light etc without really skewing his body as well as the patients (which isn't a bad thing). That is if you are going to try match this sketch to your final composition, anyway.

Certainly not going to try and match this sketch. I want to have room to play around when I have the models built and rigged... I am not going to draw the best pose on paper.

As for the positioning with the light... we will see.

I'm really looking forward to some more concepts
Sorry dude,no can do. I am super keen to start some modeling. I have a good idea of what I want, and I will push the rest in 3d.
Maybe later though I will think about the background.

Thanks for your coments.

Tommy Lee
03-30-2004, 02:35 PM
Love that concept too!!!:thumbsup:
U now I love Brain, specially when it's showing:D

Will keep also an eye on this on!!!

Cheerz:beer:

Tommy Lee

TheFirstAngel
04-02-2004, 11:13 PM
Jep, has the Grafite adds a bit of a vintage, and very dark look. I like it too. keep it up mate!:beer: :buttrock:

Katss
04-03-2004, 12:22 AM
Very wild,funny comic book like.Will be nice in model form.:)

Cullen
04-03-2004, 02:18 PM
thanks Tommy Lee, the1st_angel and Katss.
Started modeling today. So far I have made a hand, his pants (some of it) and his shoes.

Can't be bothered posting yet... when I have a little more done.

JamesMK
04-03-2004, 02:58 PM
Ah, good to hear you're on the case, Cullen... Eagerly anticipating your first model shots :thumbsup:

Jeremypiven
04-03-2004, 07:22 PM
Zany and a bit sppoky.Both good things.Like the look alot.:buttrock:

Cullen
04-19-2004, 11:50 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1579/1579_1082371841_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/5/1579/1579_1082371841_large.jpg)

Base model of the main character done. I still need to modify many elements... but finally... an update.

Cullen
04-19-2004, 11:54 AM
Many tweeks to come.
Definatly want to make his fingers smaller.

Thanks all for waiting patiently.
I have just been working on this now and than... but wanted to give you an update and to let you all know I am still here.

Cullen
04-19-2004, 11:58 AM
Oh yeah... and just pointing that I havn't made sleeves yet.

Pleribus
04-20-2004, 02:43 AM
Hey cullen, nice work so far. Good to see you are still at it. Was beginning to wonder if you had gotten too busy to work on this or something.

The fingers might be good big, it may help emphasise the perspective you were thinking of going for. But then again, if you do go with some sort of fisheye style lense, it may make the hands _HUGE_... heh

Look forward to seeing more.

Cullen
04-20-2004, 02:49 AM
Thanks Clint. Yeah... still kicking along, but very slowly. The fingers do kind of look good big, but I was looking back over my concept pieces and liked that, even though the bulk of the hand was big, the fingers were still small.

I don't know. Maybe his job requires delicate fingers to control what he is doing.
I think him having large hands would give the feeling his work requires alot of muscle.

ParadiseFlyBird
04-20-2004, 02:51 AM
Hi Cullen.... you're concept is sweet... and your style reminds me of urban aerosole art.... you're models coming along perfectly....

i like the squarish style.. one thing though the thumb looks a little sqewed... anyways cheers man... oi oi oi:thumbsup:

Cullen
04-30-2004, 01:26 AM
Thanx ParadiseFlyBird, yeah... the thumb is messed up.
But, my computer has been playing up the last few weeks and the last few days have been spent trying to fix it. (Well, watching someone else try to fix it).
Will this be the end of Cullen and his whacky ideas?
Will he be able to work on the challenge before the due date?
Stay tuned.

JamesMK
05-01-2004, 09:07 AM
Hey Cullen - - - you're guy looks very cool and toony! I know you've already covered the hand related issues, so.... Waiting for a small update! :wip:

deepforest
05-17-2004, 02:49 AM
Cullen, your concept and style are great, I'm looking forward more...
keep it up! :thumbsup:

Cullen
06-02-2004, 11:38 PM
Not long left to go and I have so many other projects I need to work on at home.
Is this me officially quitting?

(dramatic drum roll) Yes.
Unless something totally bizarre happens and I stay awake for 24 hours a day for the next couple of weeks.

Sorry all.
Hope to contribute more to the challenges in the future.
Till next time.

Cullen.

Pleribus
06-03-2004, 12:59 AM
Hey Cullen. Shame to hear, but I know the feeling, I'm in the same boat.. too much freelance, so little time.

Oh well, until the next challenge... heh

JamesMK
06-03-2004, 08:10 AM
Ah, I'm very sorry to hear this... but then again, work comes first of course.... still, it's a shame, and I hope you'll finish this guy at some later time.

It was good while it lasted! :buttrock:

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.