PDA

View Full Version : New "Shark Tale" poster

FloydBishop
03-16-2004, 10:26 PM
From Coming Soon.Net (http://comingsoon.net/news.php?id=3939)

EDIT: No remote linking...

PhilOsirus
03-16-2004, 11:28 PM
Looks great, easy to recognize Will Smith:)

pearson
03-17-2004, 02:00 AM
I don't like how Dreamworks is trying to stamp out the PDI brand. I don't know the details of their relationship but in fewer and fewer palces do I see "PDI/" before "Dreamworks". And going to pdi.com just goes to a page that doesn't even mention PDI until you click on animation and even then the schpeel is all about Dreamworks being this animation power house that did Shrek! :banghead:

My ignorance is nearly limitless: is this a PDI film or not?

agreenster
03-17-2004, 03:35 AM
I fear for Shark Tale. It has a huge mountain to climb in the public's eye that they didnt rip off "Finding Nemo," not to mention that it will be hard pressed to be better than it.

Good thing Shrek 2 is coming out to save revenues.

EDIT

To pearson:

Dreamworks bought PDI, so it only makes sense that PDI will slowly "be replaced" by Dreamworks as a brand. Whether or not thats a smart thing to do is yet to be determined...

Brettzies
03-17-2004, 04:14 AM
is this a PDI film or not?

As far as I know, this is not a PDI film, or they have little to do with it. This should be the first Dreamworks 3d cg film. It's being created in LA at Dreamworks, whereas PDI is in the Bay Area(northern California).

I agree that it would be sad to see PDI lose its identity entirely. Hopefully that won't happen, but who knows since they have been absorbed by Dreamworks.

E.Z. Schwartz
03-17-2004, 04:45 AM
That crazy multi colored fish is going to give me nightmares. ugly.

phrankypoo
03-17-2004, 06:45 AM
Sharktale is 100% Dreamworks...as for the PDI brand....they still exist but are part of Dreamworks....and they both work on the same movies sometimes like Shrek 2...most of it is being done at PDI but some of it is done down at Dreamworks....

Since they are the same company now...there are alot of PDI people down at Dreamworks......so isntead of thinking of it as two seperate companies....its the same company with 2 locations...like Disney used to be with Disney FL and Disney Burbank....

ACFred
03-17-2004, 06:46 AM
Right, this is NOT a PDI film. It's DreamWorks from start to finish.

People really need to be slapped for comparing Finding Nemo & Shark Tale. Except for the fact that it's under water and there are under water creatures involved, there are no similarities.
Whether people will find Shark Tale better than Nemo, I'm not saying, but the comparison will only be made by those who are looking for reasons to gripe about anything.

See the film first when it comes out on October 1st, 2004, then compare all you want.

I dig the poster. First time I've seen it. For all of you Jack Black lovers out there, you'll have an even greater respect for his talents after you hear the performance he gives. It's amazing.
Will Smith is no slouch either.

hobbes17r
03-17-2004, 07:21 AM
Yikes. I hate to say it, but personally I don't find these characters very appealing. The shark on the right looks kind of like a dopey, lifeless stuffed animal - which may be okay, optimistically - but that thing on the left just looks flat out disturbing. I'd say "maybe they'll look better in motion", but I heard the characters in Shark Tale are supposed to walk on their tailfins, too? Say wha? Too soon to call, though: Will have to see the trailer first.

It would seem that Shark Tale is attempting to relate to both Nemo and The Sopranos, but October of this year seems awfully late to to release something with such obvious timestamps and maintain any sense of freshness.

Regardless, we already have Shrek 2 (PDI) and The Incredibles to look forward to this year!

onlooker
03-17-2004, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by agreenster
I fear for Shark Tale. It has a huge mountain to climb in the public's eye that they didnt rip off "Finding Nemo," not to mention that it will be hard pressed to be better than it.

The first thing that came to mind after I saw the poster was like "Knock off, and recycling second hand material". It's just a little un original. So shortly after Nemo too.

hypercube
03-17-2004, 08:17 AM
I think it's odd that after all the prior effort to distance themselves from Nemo, each new piece of promotional material seems to me like it's getting closer and closer to "feeling" like Nemo, even the logo. We know already that the look and tone of it are completely different, so why take a big step backwards?

Oh well..will see how it goes. Months away yet. :shrug:

hobbes17r
03-17-2004, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by ACFred
People really need to be slapped for comparing Finding Nemo & Shark Tale. Except for the fact that it's under water and there are under water creatures involved, there are no similarities.
Whether people will find Shark Tale better than Nemo, I'm not saying, but the comparison will only be made by those who are looking for reasons to gripe about anything.
[/B]

I'm not looking to gripe; I'm just hoping for something new and interesting. I would certainly agree that the stories will likely be worlds apart, but the indication of an underwater world when Dreamworks has a track record of making very targeted, topic-competitive films invariably invites the sense of a challenge or rivalry towards Nemo.

Shark Slayer is only the second CG film we have ever seen to take on an underwater environment: Of course there will be comparisons against Nemo's animation, characters, style, and technical quality, and expectations to contribute something fresh and new. There should be, as this is all evolving material (surely there are many more things to be tried with underwater animation!), and I hope that Shark Slayer will provide a unique caricature of an underwater world. In making comparisons this early people are just poking for evidence that this is really the case. We don't know either way for now - we haven't even seen a character speak or swim (err - walk?) - but 'Tale will face a huge challenge in setting itself cleanly apart from a film that so recently left such a strong impression.

Hey, I thought Antz was really cool and had a great flavor of its own, even if I will never be able to think of it without comparing its perception of a bug world to that from 'A Bug's Life'. I hope Shark Slayer is able to accomplish the same.

urgaffel
03-17-2004, 09:36 AM
First time I saw promotional material for this movie was back at siggraph 2002, and then it seemed a lot darker... I sure hope they don't kiddify it :( Although given the success of Nemo I will be very surprised if they don't.

agreenster
03-17-2004, 12:40 PM
People really need to be slapped for comparing Finding Nemo & Shark Tale.

I dont think anyone is TRYING to compare the two, it just happens.

For example, my wife was looking over my shoulder when I was looking at the poster, and I pointed to it and said "check it out" and she said, "Yeah? It's that shark from Finding Nemo, so?" After explaing what it was to her (she doesnt follow anything CG, unless Im doing it) she couldnt believe how similar they were.

I dont think anyone is judging Shark Tale just yet, just suprised how similar the look is to Nemo. I agree that its coincidence, and that Shark Tale is probably completely original, but it still has hard times ahead of it.

As a side note, I wish Jack Black would get back into TenaciousD and crude humor. This kiddy stuff just isnt as funny.

beaker
03-17-2004, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by pearson
I don't like how Dreamworks is trying to stamp out the PDI brand. I don't know the details of their relationship but in fewer and fewer palces do I see "PDI/" before "Dreamworks". And going to pdi.com just goes to a page that doesn't even mention PDI until you click on animation and even then the schpeel is all about Dreamworks being this animation power house that did Shrek! :banghead:

My ignorance is nearly limitless: is this a PDI film or not?
DW bought them 5-6 years ago, right around when Ants came out so they have every right to whatever they want with the brand. Actually in house at Dreamworks PDI isn't even refered to as PDI, but instead DW Redwood City. Ask any regular person and they will instantly know who DW is and probably look at you dumbfounded if you say PDI. Marketing is all about brand recognition.

PhilOsirus
03-17-2004, 04:38 PM
Why should the movie be a bigger hit than Nemo? The goal is to make a great movie people will like, and with all those well-known actors starring in it there is no doubt it will be a hit.

pearson
03-17-2004, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by agreenster
Dreamworks bought PDI, so it only makes sense that PDI will slowly "be replaced" by Dreamworks as a brand. Whether or not thats a smart thing to do is yet to be determined...

That's sad. It makes sense for Dreamworks to try to take as much credit as they can for PDI's success, but it seems to discredit/trivialize their hard work. :shrug:

For me it's confusing because I associate PDI with quality and Dreamworks is an unknown. So if I don't know who's doing the work, I don't know whether I should be excited about it.

Soooo. Any conspiracy theories out there about why there were two 3D ant movies back to back, and now two 3D fish movies back to back?

urgaffel
03-17-2004, 04:59 PM
Soooo. Any conspiracy theories out there about why there were two 3D ant movies back to back, and now two 3D fish movies back to back?

It's the aliens I tells ya!

beaker
03-17-2004, 05:11 PM
For me it's confusing because I associate PDI with quality and Dreamworks is an unknown. So if I don't know who's doing the work, I don't know whether I should be excited about it.

It's all the same people, who cares. Your getting stuck way too much in the logistics.

Also I wouldn't call 2 years apart back to back. Both movies are quite different from each other.

coboman
03-17-2004, 05:12 PM

The general public does compare movies with similar subjects with close publication dates. Maybe not us movie-junkies, but the regular Joe that goes to the Theaters less than 10 times a year, has no idea about studios, and who made what.

Bug's Life deffinitely suffered from Antz. To date it is the less profitable movie from Pixar.

Mars Attacks suffered from Independence Day. Lots of people thought it was a bad parody of ID4.

Most people don't even recognize Pixar (hard to believe, I know. But ask around and people will place Ice Age, along with Shrek and Toy Story).

Why do you think all posters in Nemo said "From the makers of Toy Story and Monsters Inc"?

If people identified Pixar movies, that information would have been redundant.

In another subject, I don't like the character design of this movie. I also dislike the synopsis of the story, and frankly, I don't think the voice casting is all that great either.
But then again, I thought the same about Antz, until I saw that first scene with Zee in therapy. I really liked that movie.

pearson
03-17-2004, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by beaker
It's all the same people, who cares. Your getting stuck way too much in the logistics.

That's like saying Disney and Pixar are the same; they worked together on some projects but now that Disney is doing its own 3D without Pixar, I doubt they will be as successful.

I realize that the grunt level talent moves around and you can generalize and say that all 3D movies are made by the same pool of people. But there is a reason why Pixar is so consistent in its success; management. So I think the management in place for a team is very important to the success of the project.

Unless Dreamworks replaced most of the management after they bought PDI, it doesn't seem unreasonable to expect the redwood studio to continue to produce good stuff. Dreamworks LA, on the other hand, isn't managed by the same people, and therefore may or may not produce similar quality.

I don't think that's too fan-boyish of me...:shrug:

phrankypoo
03-17-2004, 05:37 PM
Dreamworks LA, on the other hand, isn't managed by the same people, and therefore may or may not produce similar quality.

----------------------------------------------------------

You must have worked longer at Dreamworks then me....because as far as I know....half the sups on Sharktale are from PDI....including mine....who worked on Antz and Shrek....and Dreamworks has adopted the same software as PDI as well....so in terms of quality....it should be the same....style and look are upto the directors....unlike Pixar who has a studio look....Dreamworks leaves that upto each director....

also...like i said before...some seqs on Shrek2 are being done at Dreamworks....so quality is the same...

Slurry
03-17-2004, 05:47 PM

Sooooo, if you see a painting or a photograph, you don't like it until you found out who painted it or took the pic?

I think it's important to think for ourselves and judge the work on it's own merit...not the producer of the work.

2 cents :hmm:

pearson
03-17-2004, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by Slurry
Sooooo, if you see a painting or a photograph, you don't like it until you found out who painted it or took the pic?

I think it's important to think for ourselves and judge the work on it's own merit...not the producer of the work.

If you're going to charge me $10 to look at the photo, you can be sure I'll want to know who took it, and/or what it's a picture of, before I pay you, lol. It's not like every movie out there is a gem worth seeing... And I didn't say I was going to like the movie or not based on who did it, but that I don't know whether I can expect that it will be good. :shrug:

------------------

Phrankypoo - No need to get defensive. It's rare for large companies to make good decisions these days, and more common for them to try to hoodwink the public out of their money as cheaply as possible.

It sounds as though Dreamworks has taken the right approach (spreading around the experienced PDI guys), which is surprising. Hopefully it will lead to company-wide success.

-----------------

In general:
When a Pixar movie comes out I have an expectation that it will be good, or even great. This is based on past performance. This is not stupid, it's just common sense.

I had similar expectations for PDI, which is why I think killing the brand is unfortunate.

I don't have the same expectations for Disney movies, also based on past performance.

I don't know what to expect from Dreamworks. Hopefully great things, from what's been said.

beaker
03-17-2004, 07:05 PM
That's like saying Disney and Pixar are the same; they worked together on some projects but now that Disney is doing its own 3D without Pixar, I doubt they will be as successful.
Dreamworks and PDI are one and the same company. DW bought PDI. How many times do I have to say that? All the stories get passed through Jeffery Katzenburg (even antz and shrek). The codirector on Sharktale is Vicky Jensen, who was also the codirector on Shrek. Over the hedge, one of DW's movie done in the LA facility is directed by Tim Johnson, who directed Antz and Sinbad. Again, its all the same people.

Pixar and Disney are two separate companies. Pixar just had a distribution deal with them. Your comparing two totally different situations.

pearson
03-17-2004, 08:11 PM
Beaker - As I said in my first post, "My ignorance is nearly limitless." I thought that Antz, at least, was done when PDI was independant, in a deal similar to Pixar-Disney.

I toured PDI in late '96 and saw the first few minutes of Antz in their theater. At that time there was no mention that PDI was actually Dreamworks...Maybe I missed it in the fine print.

Brettzies
03-17-2004, 09:14 PM
People really need to be slapped for comparing Finding Nemo & Shark Tale

These type of comparisons are going to be inevitable regardless of the story because so few cg movies have come out so far. Not only that, but also because of the length of time between releases. For instance of the 10-12 full CG films released in US(if you include shrek2 and shark tale), 2 are sequels, 2 are underwater based, and 2 are "ant" based with a possible third in a few years. IE:

ToyStory2
Shrek2(not released)

Bug's Life
Antz

Nemo
Shark's Tale(not released)

Shark's Tale could be great, who knows? All we've seen so far are stills. But it will still be scrutinized because of the timing and content, especially among the industry. However, it doesn't matter how different the stories are, there will be similarities.

Personally I go to see as many animated films as I can, especially cg ones, if for nothing else to "support" the industry.

birditious
03-17-2004, 11:47 PM
i like the design of the fish in the poster. It looks pretty daring and interesting. Now another cutesy bug eyed clownfish swimming around...Then we should be worried about sharktale copying Nemo. When this comes out all comparrisons will mostlky cease, except inthe sense that all CG movies will be compared to each other period.. These movies are at least as different as antz was from bugs life, if not more. The comparisons are inevitable, but accusations of cribbing from pixar will fall away. Of course, if it becomes even half as succsessful as Nemo remains to be seen. I certainly hope its at least as enjoyable.

AWAKE
03-18-2004, 12:16 AM
how come no one mentioned that the "NEW" poster is a photshop job of the old press release photos?

I am not excited to see this one. The characters don't appeal to me, and Yes it is going to suffer a nemo comparison. It already has.

fins as arms with full fingers.... I don't know.

birditious
03-18-2004, 01:03 AM
testing the post responce time which has been unbelievable. I post and it shows up a day later 2 pages back where no one reads it.

phrankypoo
03-18-2004, 03:29 AM
sounds like someone has some issues....:wavey:

pearson
03-18-2004, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by birditious
testing the post responce time which has been unbelievable. I post and it shows up a day later 2 pages back where no one reads it.

Your post showed up right after you posted it, but the email notification that said you had posted didn't get sent till 8 hours later.

FloydBishop
03-18-2004, 04:54 PM
I like the new poster. The characters look interesting enough to me.

As far as "Shark Tale" being a Nemo knock off, I don't see it that way. There's no getting the general public to NOT see it that way though.

I know this first hand, as the short I'm on, "Bass Hole" gets Nemo comparisons all the time. People see fish and compare it automatically.

It's frustrating and flattering all at the same time. It's tough to have people sometimes flat out accuse you of ripping something off, when you know that you didn't. Once "Shark Tale" comes out, I'm sure we'll get compared to that as well.

In 15 years, when some little kid is looking through the bargin rental bin at Block Buster, which movie will he want to rent, and which one will he enjoy? That's the important measure to consider.

Dougs
03-21-2004, 12:38 AM
Speaking on behalf of the general public. (just kidding ;) If it looks like a fish and swims like a fish, it's probably a fish movie. I can't say if that's good or bad? But I will say I don't like it already because I just saw one last year. And I can't understand why they can't do something original everytime? Isn't that why they get paid all that money? I think the sequel thing and the look alike thing are getting kind of annoying and even though I can't speak for the general public I think that's where they're headed? I hope it's successful anyhow. We don't need another ants or bug situation.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.