PDA

View Full Version : How do i mirror a rig with controls and IK?

JeePee
03-16-2004, 08:37 PM
i haven't been able to figure this out yet
i tried duplicate > group > scale but thenn i get opposite rotations
any pointers in the right direction are apriciated

cavetroll
03-17-2004, 03:14 PM
don`t do it!!
rebuild the other side by hand.
I did it once, but I had to hassle with all those negative 1 scalingGroups to keep things going (no opposite rotations).
will never do that again. the rig worked, but I wouldn`t suggest doing it. you end off better rebuilding the other side.
sorry.

JeePee
03-17-2004, 06:31 PM
yeah i found that out by myself wich itself is a good expecience itself :) but your tip is very much valid hehe, my ratations where totaly srewed up and non fixable as far as i know...i had to flip the local ratation axis wich isn't possible and by rotating i reorient 2 axises so that's no good...

anyway if u read this and ever plan on doing this i second cavetroll his statement "don`t do it!!"

it's just weird cause i learned to do it this way at a 3dbuzz course and everything seemed to work fine back then...

Firas
03-20-2004, 07:53 AM
ok .. this is my tip

1. just disconnect the hand bones for the arm,
2. export the hand +its bones
3. scale -1 the hand root bone
4. save
5. import to you scene

hope u find this usefull.

dwalden74
03-23-2004, 09:56 AM
Follow cavetrolls advice and donīt do it. This can cause all kinds of problems down the road (scaling issues, negative rotations, rotation axis freaking out). Your best bet is to recreate it by hand, or script the whole setup which you can apply to both sides. You can do this on-the-fly with my dwRiggingTools (http://www.davidwalden.com) .

:beer:
David

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.