PDA

View Full Version : Recommended XSI reading?

barley
07-05-2002, 04:13 PM
Hi,

Does anyone have any recommendations for good quality books for XSI? We were only given a PDF of the quickstart manual at Uni, and it isn't much to go on.

I noticed XSI Illuminated: Foundation 2 (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0970753004/qid=1025885459/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/104-3115606-6973563) on Amazon, by A Rossano, whom if I remember, did the excellent Inside Softimage book, which was recommended reading when Uni taught us si3.9.

Are there any views on this book, ie: Is it upto the quality of Inside Softimage? Or are there other, better books out there?

Cheers

Atyss
07-05-2002, 05:24 PM
I thinks that XSI Illuminated is a bit of waste of money, especially if you are learning the software at school. This is a very very basic book.

If you want to do character animation I strongly recommend Softimage XSI Character Animation FX & Design, by Chris Maraffi, also available on Amazon.

But you should wait a couple of weeks. Anthony Rossano will release at SIGGRAPH his new book, wich will cover character design, modelling, rigging and animation from A to Z. It looks promising. Check out Mesmer.com for this.

If you are more wealthty you should consider going with the Cumbria Training CDs. You will learn lots of things with this, and it's around US$150.00 for 6 cds (more than 25 hours of training) that cover workflow, modeling, rigging, deformations, shape animation, texture mapping and non-linear animation. A strong investment.

Hope this helps
Salutations - Cheers
Bernard Lebel

macoy
07-05-2002, 07:22 PM
Your's Uni's library should have books about CG character animation...

Order the XSI experience CD, all the manuals are in it and plus over 70 excellent video tutorials.

These options are free, i suggest u'd better try it before actually spending the money:)

Atyss
07-05-2002, 07:43 PM
Macoy,

I didn't mention the Experience CD because I don't consider it to be a good learning source. The "turorials" on the CDs are more overview of features than tutorials. I was very disapointed because of that.

However, it's good to have it at home, as you have a copy of the software to work with (although you can't save nor script with it) and there is the full documentation.

Just my 2 cents
Salutations - Cheers
Bernard Lebel

barley
07-05-2002, 08:47 PM
Our Uni does have some books, but few for XSI, the only XSI one I've seen is Character Animation for XSI, but when theres over 200++ students learning a package, there's a good shortage of books to go around. I preffer buying a book myself and having it to hand whenever I need it, and not having to wait for it to be available at the library.

I wasn't going to buy for a few weeks, so judging on the opinion of XSI-Illuminated, I'll wait for Rossano's new book to come out, and check out the XSI Experience CD also.

Thanks peeps

orion 77
07-05-2002, 09:14 PM
actually i changed my mind about the experience cd. the docs are crap! if its the same ones. where are they? (duuuhhh) just to make sure. there aint any decent books for softimage. yet max has too many !!

wmendez
07-06-2002, 02:27 AM
I agree with Atyss, Cumbria CD's are a must have and at a great price too

http://www.cmagic.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Softimage____XSI_Training___Tutorials_3.htm

I would also wait for Anthony's Character anim book it looks very promising.

http://www.mesmer.com/content/XSICharSmall.mov

macoy
07-06-2002, 06:50 AM
wow the new book looks very good. when will it be published? is it available in UK?

The tutorials in the X cds are very basic but it's a good start, telling u what u can do with the software.

and the manual is always the best reference.

it's free anyway...;)

Pixelato
07-07-2002, 06:35 PM
Macoy,

I graduated from W-Min last year. what did your course consist of? I did an MA in Design and Media arts and specialized in video, and only towards the end of that year did I suddenly find out how miraculously fun CGI was. I know basic lightwave and now I'm trying to get my head round the XSI demo. It is by far the most impressive 3D app I've seen. What attracted me most was the subdivisions. Unlike Lightwave, it doesn't have to be quads all the time. Wait, I'm rambling on. Sorry, I just wanted to know what your course was like.

Ali.

macoy
07-07-2002, 06:41 PM
sorry to say sth irrelevent:p

Pixelato, got my privite message? my email is macoywen@hotmail.com, hope u use msn:)

Bradf0rd010
07-08-2002, 03:38 AM
Originally posted by macoy
wow the new book looks very good. when will it be published? is it available in UK?

The tutorials in the X cds are very basic but it's a good start, telling u what u can do with the software.

and the manual is always the best reference.

it's free anyway...;)

Got Illuminated on the basis of my experience with Inside 3D, and it is nowhere near the depth/quality. They are quite happy to ship to the UK when you order directly from the site using credit card.

macoy
07-08-2002, 05:47 AM
I didnt mean the illuminated one, i meant the new book by Anthony at mesmer.com.

Bradf0rd010
07-08-2002, 10:25 AM
Yeah, sorry. That is a bit misleading, re-reading it, but hey 03:38 AM, what can I say;)

1.Illuminated:Foundation wasn't that hot

2.They shipped Illuminated:Foundation internationally, so they should ship the new one, Illuminated:Character Animation as well. Just order directly from the site using credit card.

Hopefully, Char Animation should live up to his rep. more so then Foundation.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.