PDA

View Full Version : Game Art Comp 6: Jim Carrey/ Ace Ventura

tobe90
03-15-2004, 09:09 PM
Ho, ho. what a fun competition! As usual it's to much stuff to do, but I'll try this time, I will.

I would like to do a Jim Carrey, and Ace is the right one I believe, would love to get some of the facial expressions on the model.

But first things first. For now, the spot has been reserved. Updates to come. The hunt for references has begun. Good Luck to everyone.
http://www.jimcarreyonline.com/pics/acev1/pics/ven08.jpg

/t

kotter
03-15-2004, 09:22 PM
Great choise and good luck ;)

TRyanD
03-15-2004, 11:08 PM
lol n1

tobe90
03-20-2004, 07:57 AM
I've started to model roughly, while watching the movie. I have a few refs, but he tends to change his face so much, that it is hard to get the same facial expression in two shots. I'm shooting from the hip, instead.

/t

http://www.tabularasa.se/images/wip_ventura01.gif

kling
03-20-2004, 07:59 AM
Nice tobe my man. Im looking forward to see the rest of that crazy man.

/klingos

BonciuToma
03-20-2004, 01:17 PM
nice start but I have one observation : his hair I think should be curved and then closed to the head (hope you understand what I'm trying to say). This way looks like elvis-style. But the face looks ok.

tobe90
03-20-2004, 06:10 PM
kling - thx man.

Bonciu_Toma - the elvis style hair will be a later issue, I'm modelling symetrical right know to make it easier. when the face is done, I'm going assymetrical, dude, and thats when the hair gets a makeover.

tobe90
03-21-2004, 11:57 AM
last update for the weekend. hope to find more time this week to come.
/ t
http://www.tabularasa.se/images/wip_ventura02.gif

david
03-21-2004, 12:26 PM
Good model, but it doesn't look like Jim Carrey at all. His lips are to full, his nose to big and his nose-bridge to wide. His chin much be sharper, his neck broader and his jaw line stronger. From a quick comparison I belive that is whats wrong with him.

It's a good start so keep up the good work.

tobe90
03-21-2004, 12:38 PM
couldn't agree with you more, it's the curse and illusion of working with reference pictures. I started without, but put a front and left image in the back after a while, and worked with them a while. I ended up with this, and now I have to work with the "likeness", the similarity. I think one of the problems is that jim carrey in a "neutral" expression, doesn't look like jim carrey, if you catch my drift. he has to have a weird old face on him, otherwise you wont recognise him. at least this is my observation of it.
this isn't an excuse, just my humble explanation.
thanks for the pointers, I agree with all of them, chin, neck and jaw line.
/ t

Supervlieg
03-21-2004, 08:48 PM
Add the hair to the things that need a bit more work. I believe his hair in the movie is more like wave, compared to the elvis hair youve got right now. I suppose its because of the symmetry your using up till now.

Lekku
03-25-2004, 06:10 PM
Yeah, the hair sweeps up and away, so you get kind of a breaking wave effect. Think "Flock of Seagulls."

Ivars
03-25-2004, 06:14 PM
Like he said:

the elvis style hair will be a later issue, I'm modelling symetrical right know to make it easier. when the face is done, I'm going assymetrical, dude, and thats when the hair gets a makeover

I guess you might be getting some free time now....
Maybe some updates?

tobe90
03-25-2004, 08:09 PM
thx ivars.
maybe some updates friday, or after the weekend. sort of preoccupied at the moment.
but there will be more. Salon "Cut the crap" will definitely do something bout the Flock of Seagulls/Elvis look. and the other stuff mentioned above.
And more stuff.

Lekku
03-27-2004, 12:53 AM
Thanx, Ivars, I missed that post.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.