PDA

View Full Version : Distributed rendering in MR

joie
03-15-2004, 01:54 PM
Hi there;

I heard that you have to have a standalone version of MR in order to distribute your render across the intranet (like 2 or more computers), is this true?.

If not, how can I distribute it?, I edit the text file that defines the number of computers and their names (.rayhosts or something like that), but nothing happens, can somebody post here his file to see how is it written?.

Thankīs in advance.

Timefly
03-15-2004, 02:07 PM
believe you either have to run around starting frameranges on the diff. machines..or use something like smedge for distributing

T

altruizine
03-15-2004, 03:49 PM
you do indeed need the stanalone MR license for that. The MR license that comes w/ maya is locked to that node.

joie
03-16-2004, 12:16 PM
Now what I do is distribute a number of frames in each machine "by hand", but the higher the computers are rendering, the more time I spend checking all the frames and rendertimes and etc...

But, in MR help, it says that you can put your IP number or netname of the computers involver in the "renderfarm" and it should work, well, it says no more, only that.

I write the names but it doesnīt work, and donīt know if Iīm writing wrong names, or the right names but wrongly written.

Any ideas?.

bluemagicuk
03-16-2004, 12:58 PM
I found netscale, smedge, butterfly (in that order) to be very usefull for
distributed rendering with maya (does not work with mental ray :( )

Question- Mental ray allows support for a dual cpu .... Is it not
possible to have 2 separate computers distribute renders with mental ray?

Non contstructive comment coming up ...

It is a real shame (trying to think of nice words) that you can not use mental ray
over a network of computers to distribute a frame for faster rendering. (for free that is)
Even if it was just to do the ipr testing and not nececarily network rendering.

I can understand that mentalimages make their money from company's buying several licences.
I just wish it was a little cheaper to make better use of my home network
$2500 for an additional mental ray licence is a little bit more that I can afford.
Now $2500 for 5 licences and you would have me interested.
It would help out all the home users and small companys a lot !

dann_stubbs
03-16-2004, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by blue magic

Non contstructive comment coming up ...

It is a real shame (trying to think of nice words) that you can not use mental ray
over a network of computers to distribute a frame for faster rendering. (for free that is)
Even if it was just to do the ipr testing and not nececarily network rendering.

I can understand that mentalimages make their money from company's buying several licences.
I just wish it was a little cheaper to make better use of my home network
$2500 for an additional mental ray licence is a little bit more that I can afford.
Now $2500 for 5 licences and you would have me interested.
It would help out all the home users and small companys a lot !

they have recently dropped the per cpu price down to $995

still quite a bit but much better then it was. also the standalone versions run any platform like max, xsi maya etc... plus the full feature set of mr.

still out of my budget though...

dann

pudand
03-16-2004, 04:15 PM
Where can I find the link for the the MR stand-alone prices? I couldn't find it at the Alias site.
Thank you.

bluemagicuk
03-16-2004, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by dann_stubbs
they have recently dropped the per cpu price down to $995
dann
Oooh that is good news thanks dann... still outta my price range but very tempting to get one or
2 for my new systems. Mabye I can buy 2 get one free :P
Saying that you probably need to get like 100 which is understandably expensive.

Timefly
03-16-2004, 06:10 PM
if you have licenses of maya/mayarendernodes on several machines, smedge will distribute frames to them just fine...(cant render singleframes on several machines tho)

T

dann_stubbs
03-16-2004, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by pudand
Where can I find the link for the the MR stand-alone prices? I couldn't find it at the Alias site.
Thank you.

http://www.mentalimages.com/2_1_2_configurations/index.html

http://store.softimage.com/store/lang/EN/mr_v32.asp

(they sell stand alone MR - expires march 26!) not sure after that what happens?

alias and discreet, as well as softimage are all resellers of MR standalone - but all should be the same product and should offer similiar pricing i would guess... most likely have to talk to a sales rep - i've not seen MR standalone on the alias site either.

dann

joie
03-16-2004, 08:44 PM
What is "smedge" and where can I find it?, is it shareware or free?

pudand
03-16-2004, 09:03 PM
Thank you dann_stubbs for your answer. I will contact Alias here in Italy to know if the promotions is available for maya too.

bluemagicuk
03-16-2004, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by joie
What is "smedge" and where can I find it?, is it shareware or free?
This might help give you more info. None of it will help you
network,distribute render with mr though. Only with maya software
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=118053

Timefly
03-16-2004, 10:49 PM
not to be profane or anything blue magic, but have you actually tried? smedge WILL distribute frames to a farm with maya/mrfm installed...aswell as the mayarenderer

T

bluemagicuk
03-16-2004, 11:14 PM
Yes I have

Distributed rendering = Take one frame distribute it between multiple cpu's,
render portions of the image then re slice the image on the host computer for display....
ie butterfly netrender or seb or netscale

Network rendering = Distribute range of frames between multiple cpu's to render
a sequence of frames between several computers.
ie smedge butterfly, seb or netscale (there are more)

Dont want anyone to get the wrong end of the stick I assume you are refering to this comment .
I found netscale, smedge, butterfly (in that order) to be very usefull for
distributed rendering with maya (does not work with mental ray :( )
What I am saying here is that you cannot use smedge to split one frame between say 2 computers
and have the top half rendered by computer A and the bottom half rendered with computer B and
then have the image display in full on the host computer. You can use smedge to network render.
Hope that makes sense :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.