PDA

View Full Version : Game Art Competition #6

happosai311
03-15-2004, 08:18 AM
*Link added below
*Texture guidlines clarification below
*NEW TEXTURE LIMIT BELOW
*Please keep checking this thread, just in case something is added or changed to the guidelines*

GAME ART COMPETITION #6

THEME: Bring an Actor or Actress from a movie into the Game world!

Imagine you are working for a Game company that is releasing a movie-based videogame. You are in charge of modeling a character from that movie, and are expected to make the model look exactly like the character from the movie. The actor/actressf likeness must be accurately recreated in 3D within the given guidelines; the costume, hair, make-up, etc. should also be accurate when compared to the actual movie. Remember this game would be sold to fans of the movie, so the character should look believable.

You can pick any actor/actress from any movie. But, because the most challenging part (and most judged part) will be successfully capturing their likeness, the chosen character cannot have their face covered. So, batman, daredevil, Robocop, etc. will not be allowed.
Characters with Major facial Prosthetics, that do not allow you to recognize the actor, are also not allowed. Example: Cornelius from Planet of the Apes.
Actors with full face make up and/or MINOR prosthetic facial features ARE allowed. Example: Jack Nicholson as the Joker, his face was fully painted, and had fake cheeks. But, his whole face was still very recognizable as Jack Nicholson.
If you have any doubts about a character that you have chosen, post in this thread. Sorry to anyone who had their heart set on any of those excluded character types.

Please be courteous to others by not choosing the exact same character that someone else has already chosen. It is Ok to pick the same actor, but from a different movie.
So, If Arnold Schwarzenegger as the Terminator is already chosenc It is Ok to choose Arnold Schwarzenegger as Conan the Barbarian.

Front & side photos of the actor's face should be easy to find on the net.
Good places to start are:
http://images.google.com
http://www.altavista.com/image/default
*http://www.imdb.com (biographies/galleries/filmographies for pretty much every actor and actress) - thanks dudeguy
If anyone knows of any good sites with movie star galleries feel free to share those with everyone.

RULES/GUIDELINES:

I felt the guidelines of the last competition could also apply to this theme, as well as todayfs game engines. So here they are again:

Your content will be used for 3d realtime engines.

Models cannot exceed 4500 faces (triangles NOT quads). Make efficient use of your faces and make them count.

* New texture Limit: 1 512x512 & 1 256x256 AKA (5 256x256). (Diffuse)
*<edit> for clarification...
Alpha-, bump-, normal- and spec maps are also allowed. These are optional. If you are planning to use any of them, please note that each follow the same size limit as above.
example:
1 512x512 & 1 256x256 for Diffuse
1 512x512 & 1 256x256 for Alpha
1 512x512 & 1 256x256 for Bump
... etc

SUBMISSIONS:
A WIP thread is required so everybody can watch your progress and offer any crits.

Your WIP thread should be named as follows:

Game Art Comp 6: (Actors real name) / (Movie)

Example:

Game Art Comp 6: Jack Nicholson / Batman

Your first post in your WIP thread should include pictures or links of the actor in the movie. This will help others give comments and crits during your progress.
Use that thread for all of your updates, and comments about your work. Others should feel free to post in said threads with comments, crits, questions, and advice. Any questions regarding the contest in general should be posted in THIS thread.

DEADLINE
The contest begins as soon as you read this post. The deadline is April 16 - 18. I'm giving everyone the weekend to get their entries in so we can avoid late entries.

On April 16 I will create a thread titled "Game Art Comp 6 Submissions." It is here that you should submit all of your final work for judging, IN 1 POST. This will give everyone a chance to see all participant's work side-by-side. No comments or crits should be made in that thread, save that for people's individual threads.

JUDGING
I need 5-10 volunteers to participate as judges. If you want to be a judge, say so in this thread, the first 10 will be chosen. Once the deadline is reached, each judge will award points to the top 3 entries they like the most.
3 points for 1st
2 points for 2nd
1 point for 3rd
Judges are instructed to make their decision based on mesh construction, poly density/topology, UVW mapping, and texturing. But Above all, The Actors Likeness!
The main reason I chose this theme, was to challenge everyonefs ability in accurately recreating an Actor/Actress in 3D. So the judgefs first priority is to make sure the actor/actress looks believable.

It's easy to pump polies into a character... but it's difficult to make very good use of the polies. The same goes for texturing.
So, if an entry looks like it could have been done with fewer polies than what the artist used... then they will be knocked points. The same goes with the texturing. You can often times get away with using less than the texture limit. If you're going to use the full texture limit, try your best to make use of all that pixel data. The polies and texture size you use should be justified.

Judging will take place April 19 - April 24. The Winner will be announced on Sunday the 25th or earlier if all the judges have given their points.

PRIZE
The winner of this competition will get to choose the subject and terms of the next competition!

Thank you CgMonkey, I borrowed big parts from your text from Competition # 5.

I hope everyone has fun with this theme. Good luck to everyone!

P.S Any issues are resolved in this thread, there's room for change in the rules! So voice your opinion if you have any problems with the rules.

vrapp
03-15-2004, 08:25 AM
Yay, I'll definitely join this contest too. :D
Now, I'll just have to choose my actor/character, this will be Fun!

CGmonkey
03-15-2004, 11:26 AM
Fabulous! This'll be fun!

Great contest hopposai311! :thumbsup:

TRyanD
03-15-2004, 02:11 PM
Ohhh :)

Dunno if im good enough for this yet, but i may try.

Ivars
03-15-2004, 02:28 PM
Yeah, I sure hope to get something done for this one. Sounds like alot of fun!

I would like to be a judge in this one (if its ok with everyone :) )

TRyanD
03-15-2004, 02:36 PM
I would ask to judge but after looking over the last one i dont hink i would have judged fair heh. I woulda voted for a few other ones, just cause they looked cool lol, i dont have the eye some off those guys had for quality i guess heh.

dcp
03-15-2004, 02:47 PM
I think this will be fun, if no one else has decided to be a judge I would like to give it a shot. If not then I'll try to make something for the competition, but being that I'm pretty new to 3d it may not turn out the best :P.

RampanT
03-15-2004, 02:49 PM
This sounds like an interesting comp. I have one question about the texture size, can we up the size to 1024 x 1024. It'd be a shame to have a fairly detailed mesh with such a modest texture limit.

Miguelito
03-15-2004, 03:11 PM
Yeah Id prefer that too!

Supervlieg
03-15-2004, 03:43 PM
I dont care for a higher resolution map. I think 512 is decent enough. Perhaps a better solution would be one 512 and one 256 map.

How about props though. Will they be allowed? Are they included in the 4500 tris? Are they to be included in the map or can they have a seperate map?

bentllama
03-15-2004, 04:30 PM
if you need Judges count me in... I still owe you guys for the last challenge ;)

RampanT
03-15-2004, 05:26 PM
I think it'd be nice to have props too, but i'd include that in the 4500 polys. I'd still like to go with the 1024 x 1024 texture size though, and the texturing of the prop would have to be on this texture sheet also.

Another query i have and its fairly important for this competition, - are you allowed to use photographs on the texture sheet? Obviously if this is allowed, then getting a likeness will be more easy. Personally, i think it'd be a nice touch if the texture had to be hand-painted. I realize that if this was a real brief, the chances are that the actors would be getting scanned specifically for the game models. But i still think it would be a better exhibition of skills if the skins were painted by hand.

Miguelito
03-15-2004, 05:28 PM
Aaaah *ahem*. Damn newb question: What do u mean with props? PLZ dont kill me :D

commy
03-15-2004, 05:38 PM
4, 512 sheets would be good but anyone who does a 1024 rgba should be shot lol

think i may have a go at this depending on a few things :)

Supervlieg
03-15-2004, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Miguelito
Aaaah *ahem*. Damn newb question: What do u mean with props? PLZ dont kill me :D

Props are things like guns, bows, hats, etc. Basically all the things that are not usually attached to the body

dudeguy
03-15-2004, 08:13 PM
Cool idea happosai311. I would like to be a judge again if possible. Cheers

Ravennome
03-15-2004, 08:29 PM
Can we do something from and animated movie or does it have to be a real actor/actress?
Just wondering, would widen the field a bit.

Miguelito
03-15-2004, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by RampanT
I think it'd be nice to have props too, but i'd include that in the 4500 polys. I'd still like to go with the 1024 x 1024 texture size though, and the texturing of the prop would have to be on this texture sheet also.

Another query i have and its fairly important for this competition, - are you allowed to use photographs on the texture sheet? Obviously if this is allowed, then getting a likeness will be more easy. Personally, i think it'd be a nice touch if the texture had to be hand-painted. I realize that if this was a real brief, the chances are that the actors would be getting scanned specifically for the game models. But i still think it would be a better exhibition of skills if the skins were painted by hand.

Yeah that might be right. But on the other side that would be quite frustrating for people like me who are not a PS junkie...
So plz gimme photos :D

chrisdejoya
03-15-2004, 11:57 PM
I agree with the 512 + 256 texture maps. Since we are modeling a head likeness after all, maybe a little more budget in the way of textures would be of help?

And how about non-square textures? i.e. 512 x 256.

Alcrifice
03-16-2004, 01:27 AM
I think you should bump the texture size to 1024x1024. It doesn't seem right to have 4500 polies in a model, bump map, specular map, normal map... and then a 512x512 texture. You should keep things even around 1024x1024 max.

happosai311
03-16-2004, 05:47 AM
Can we do something from and animated movie?
Sorry, Only live actors/actresses for this theme.
How about props
Props are allowed. But they should be included in 4500tris and in the same texture sheet as the character. Props are not mandatory. But if you want to add one and have the ploys & texture space to spare, Go for it!
are you allowed to use photographs on the texture sheet?
Yes, I would assume that most people would use photos of the actors face for the texture. Like you said, If we were really at a game company, then we would have a 360 scanned image of the actor to use for texturing. So, Its OK to find a front & side photo and combine them together for the texture. But lots of photoshop touch-ups will still be needed, since most pictures will have special lighting or shadows that will need to be fixed before being used on the model.

About the texture size...
I think I will increase the limit. 1024x1024 is too much, I think I will up it to
1 512x512 & 1 256x256 (5 256x256) This will allow better detail for the face, or make extra room for a prop. Before I make it an official change I want to know if everyone is ok with this?

Pretty soon Ifll gather up the names of people that want to be judges.

I think Ifll also make a model for this Theme. Since I chose the theme & am also a judge, I wont enter my model. But I will still make a thread for it so I can get crits.

ShadowM8
03-16-2004, 06:12 AM
I am really puzzled about the texture limitation. Most engines on the market today easily take 1024*1024 textures. Considering the poly count you are allowing there is no reason to restrict textures to a Quake size.

chrisdejoya
03-16-2004, 06:15 AM
Think console games. :) Limited texture memory.

dead_eye
03-16-2004, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by RampanT

I agree with RampanT, cloning/sampling from photographs would make things easier. Need more challenge. This seems more like a texturing challenge, so let's challenge all our Photoshop/Painter skills :).

EDIT: Bah, nevermind me, in the time i posted this, happosai answered the question :P.

Ivars
03-16-2004, 09:24 AM
Im beginning to doubt my capability as judge, seeing there will be some actors that Im not at all familiar with.....

So, you dont need to save a seat for me...
But Im willing to judge anyway if it should be needed :)

david
03-16-2004, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Ivars
Im beginning to doubt my capability as judge, seeing there will be some of actors that Im not at all familiar with.....

So, you dont need to save a seat for me...
But Im willing to judge anyway if it should be needed :)

I take it people have to post their reference pictures in their final submission right? So you just have to look at the given picture to judge the likeness. I think knowing the actor isn't that important. If it is I should take another choice. Happosai311 what are your thoughts on this?

I favor having 5 256x256 textures abviously. I mean the more space the better, but it's all up to happosai311 really.

RampanT
03-16-2004, 10:02 AM
1 x 512 and 1 x 256 is fine by me.

I was just making the same point as ShadowM8. With a poly limit of 4500 for the model, which is approaching Half-life2 spec, it seems strange to have such limited texture space, especially when the theme is to achieve a high level of accuracy in terms of likeness to the original actor. But as i say, if one 512 and one 256 is the going rate, then thats cool.

proudclod
03-16-2004, 04:03 PM
hehe, i don't care how bad my modeling sucks, i'm going for this one! This will surely get me allot of practice. even though i obviously won't even come close to winning, it is, after all, a great way to practice!

having 1 1024x1024 texture sheet will definatly make everyone happier, since the polycount is so big. 512x512 texture sheets belong in oldies like quake! I would definatly agree on having one 512 and one 256, but i'd like to leave room for oppurtunities! The polycount and texture size should be well porportioned, because 58 pixels per poly doesn't seem enough! For competition 5, 512x512 would be very reasonable, because pixel characters didn't have that much detail in them, and we could have easily portrayed them using a 512 texture sheet. But this time we are creating real life actors, this may not be photorealistic, but we do need to get enough detail into the texture to make it look like the actor! Cartoony textures usually don't need much of a resolution, just because they don't need to have lot's of detail, but when modeling real life characters, you need some flexability! For a 512x512 texture sheet, it would take me half of the whole thing to just texture the face, and that is with limited quality. Adding a 256x256 map might help, but i still don't think it's enough to equally detail all parts of the model!
Please consider changing the limit to 1024x1024!

JeePee
03-16-2004, 04:59 PM
cool idea :), i might jump in on it after i finnish my current char

commy
03-16-2004, 05:10 PM
hm so can i use a reflection map? is that ok? ie use the rgba as the mask?

to be honest i cant see the need for spec/bump maps and if u allow an extra 256 map for the face ure basicaly saying this is an rgba only texture set since theres no point having normals and spec on 1 part but not the other

SuperCat
03-16-2004, 07:30 PM
I think the texture resolution limit matches that of the poly limit. Thats not really a huge amount of polygons for what would be a main character. I for one am totally happy with the current limits.

Supervlieg
03-16-2004, 08:48 PM
Im agreed with one 256 and one 512 texture.

Poopinmymouth
03-17-2004, 04:51 AM
I will judge, if you dont already have enough

I think it should stick to a 512 and a 256. there are very few texture artists out there that can convince me a 1024 was necesarry. in fact i can rattle them off using one hand. Dark Horizon, Bobo, Peppi, and hyper. thats all that comes to mind right now. (speaking of game artists)

You should be able to achieve a likeness with a 256x256 if you wanna hand with the big boys. Daz (lead character artist on 007, everything or nothing) did all of those famous actors faces on a 256, and they look exactly like the actors in question.

commy
03-17-2004, 02:33 PM
can we use reflection maps? (ie a non counted map for environment reflections/gloss)

Neil
03-17-2004, 11:44 PM
argh!!
Why does every competition begin with someone automatically complaining about not being able to use 5000x5000 texture sheet and 1000000 polys.
If it's REALLY that tough to sit down and crunch on a lower scale, then just don't participate

I'm not trying to pinpoint any 1 person, just in general, because i know they're gonna keep coming.

proudclod
03-18-2004, 12:05 AM
i don't believe anyone mentioned anything about the polycount, but i did mention something about the texture size. I can definatly work on a smaller scale, but i was suggesting a bigger one... I don't think there were any people demanding anything out of the question or anything... We (or most of us) did not try to upset you "on purpose" we were just reasoning, and normal reasoning never hurt anybody... I bet most of us can work on a 512x512 texture sheet, but it wouldn't hurt to make it bigger... Sorry if i upset anyone... :(

bentllama
03-18-2004, 12:39 AM
the maps and count are fine.

there will be different engines in your career with you having to cater to the strengths and limitations of each...

suck it up and do the best you can with what you are given...that is part and parcel with contributing to game art...

[also...paint your maps at 2x the res and scale them down for submission...after the FUN contest is over, use your original maps for your folio...]

bentllama
03-18-2004, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by supervlieg
Im agreed with one 256 and one 512 texture.

DITTO.

commy
03-18-2004, 12:52 AM
instead of bickering about rules which have been set can someone PLS tell me if we can use a not counted reflection/gloss map! or does it have to be in the counted textures

happosai311
03-18-2004, 05:46 AM
Sorry for taking so long to reply. I have a bad case of the flu. Plus, I was called in for jury duty & got put on a trial that will last 4-5 days T_T

Back to businessc

I was Ok with the 1 512x512 for the last comp based on the theme. But for this theme I felt we would need some more space to do the actorfs justice. Thatfs why I asked everyonefs opinion, since Ifm not too fimiliar with all the limitation in the industry. So, I am happy to announce that the texture limit has now officially been upped too:
1 512x512 & 1 256x256 (5 256x256)
I will also edit the front page to reflect the change.

Originally posted by commy
hm so can i use a reflection map?
I would have to say no. As far as I know, console games donft use reflection maps for characters. Maybe on the cars in gneed for speedh but, not for characters. Either way... No to the reflection map.

Originally posted by David
I take it people have to post their reference pictures in their final submission right?
I havenft given the exact guidelines yet for the submissions thread yet. But, yes I do plan on having you guys post a reference photo of the actor in costume from the movie along side your model for comparison. I donft think picking an actor that is not well known would hurt you. Just as long as the model looks like the actor, and all other things turn out well (poly placement,texture space usage, etc.) then you should be OK.

caustic
03-18-2004, 07:55 AM
These sorts of limitations on textures are quite common on consoles and many PC games, in fact most are alot less.

I think most people get so used to what a PC FPS can push around on screen that they forget most games can't afford that sort of luxury especially if your developing for a console like the PS2.

At the moment I'm doing a realistic texturing for an ingame main character and I have a single 256 indexed texture. So If 1 x 512 is a problem for you then you'd probably last 3 minutes in the industry.

512 x512 and a 256 is plenty. :)

commy
03-18-2004, 11:25 AM
wha?! ure saying i cant use a reflection map at all? loads of games have reflection maps on characters halo, max payne 2 etc etc u need them for glasses/leather etchave to say this is highly dubious! i dont mind if u insist that it has to be a counted texture (tho it shouldnt be as it would be a global not character texture) but to say non at all is rather harsh! especialy when ure allowing normal maps which i dont believe consoles have at all

wanzai
03-18-2004, 01:37 PM
no reflection maps? deal with it. stop asking over and over again. bentlama said it best.

jum'bok
03-18-2004, 01:47 PM
man this is going to be a cool challenge. glad i stumbled onto it.

to check which names are taken (http://www.cgtalk.com/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=1114339&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending)

(i'm putting that there for myself as much as anything, because i keep going back to the search page to find them easier)

bentllama
03-18-2004, 03:41 PM
wha?! ure saying i cant use a reflection map at all? loads of games have reflection maps on characters halo, max payne 2 etc etc u need them for glasses/leather etchave to say this is highly dubious! i dont mind if u insist that it has to be a counted texture (tho it shouldnt be as it would be a global not character texture) but to say non at all is rather harsh! especialy when ure allowing normal maps which i dont believe consoles have at all

firstly, halo uses something a little different...I wish I could say more but I can't and you will just have to trust me on that...

as for normal mapping...well there are and will be plenty of high profile xbox games that use it...

proudclod
03-18-2004, 07:05 PM
well, this is not really going into a game of any kind, and it's not like they are asking you to post up animations, just stills... So my idea (probably what im going to do as well) is use as many maps as you want, any size that you want, heck, make them 2048x2048 if you really need to... Use reflection maps, specular maps, bump maps ETC, and after you got yourself a masterpiece, bake it all into a 512x512 texture... for stills it will definatly look awsome! (trust me about that :))

dudeguy
03-18-2004, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by happosai311
Sorry for taking so long to reply. I have a bad case of the flu. Plus, I was called in for jury duty & got put on a trial that will last 4-5 days T_T Yikes! and I thought I was having a rough week.

wha?! ure saying i cant use a reflection map at all? loads of games have reflection maps on characters halo, max payne 2 etc etc u need them for glasses/leather etchave to say this is highly dubious! i dont mind if u insist that it has to be a counted texture (tho it shouldnt be as it would be a global not character texture) but to say non at all is rather harsh! especialy when ure allowing normal maps which i dont believe consoles have at all Unless you're doing Shaquille O'Neal as Steel, I really don't see the lack of reflection maps making or breaking your game character.

You're doing Brad Pitt (great choice by the way) from fight club, ask yourself does he REALLY need need reflection maps? where are you going to put them? on his face? If you say his leather jacket, I'm going to say you could EASILY get by without them, just make a nicely done texture.

commy
03-20-2004, 01:54 AM
theres nice and nicer, the leather jackets in max payne look rather funky with there gloss maps, the thing i was shocked at is ure quite happy to allow bump spec and normal but not reflection as if reflection was some way high distant technique that the poor console would choke on when in fact its probably more comon than bump/normal

ah well so be it just seems an odd choice but then judging by the texture requirements this is a purely an rgba challenge anyways

chrisdejoya
03-20-2004, 02:18 AM
* New texture Limit: 1 512x512 & 1 256x256 AKA (5 256x256). Alpha-, bump-, normal- and spec maps are allowed.

spec maps are allowed, and for them to be of any use, they are usually combined with reflection maps. anyway, as far as i know, reflection maps are rarely exclusive to just one object in a game scene. so use a spec map, and go apply a reflection map to go with it. no one's stopping you.

commy
03-20-2004, 12:13 PM
cept the bit where he expressly says no reflection maps lol ;)

sides if u use 1 512 for the bod and 1 256 for the head like most games that doesnt leave any free plus im bored of argueing :P (theres a first for yah)

back to me model

Ravager
03-20-2004, 09:08 PM
Cool contest! I just came across this. I suppose Arnie's taken?

happosai311
03-21-2004, 02:05 AM
Jasp3d

Go ahead and Start a WIP thread to claim your character & so everyone can make coments on your progress. Make the thread Right here in the Game ART section of CGtalk.
Check my first post in this thread to know how to name your thread.

There used to be alot of "game art 6" threads up front. But, amola2k replied to 100 different old threads in a short time, pushing all the competition threads down 2-3 pages. Which probably lead to your confusion as to where the to post for the competition. :D

happosai311
03-21-2004, 02:48 AM
sides if u use 1 512 for the bod and 1 256 for the head like most games that doesnt leave any free

just to clear things up:
1 512 & 1 256 for the diffuse
alpha,bump,spec,normal could all be seperate alpha channels, resulting in:
1 512 & 1 256 for the diffuse
1 512 & 1 256 for the alpha
1 512 & 1 256 for the bump
... etc.

Or, at least that was my understanding of the guidlines from the last comp... (check modeling_mans' post & CGMonkeys reply)
Game Art 5 (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=112923&perpage=15&pagenumber=5)

In the last comp most people only used a diffuse and possibly alpha. I think only Modeling_man & levitateme went the whole 9 yards and used bump/spec/normal maps
Game Art 5 Submissions (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=122543)

Sorry for any misunderstanding

commy
03-21-2004, 03:02 AM
ah ok cool this seems to be worded less well can u edit the original guidelines to make this clear? does make a rather large difference lol

happosai311
03-21-2004, 04:18 AM
ah ok cool this seems to be worded less well can u edit the original guidelines to make this clear? does make a rather large difference lol

the clarification has been added to the front page, it now reads:
<edit> for clarification...
Alpha-, bump-, normal- and spec maps are also allowed. These are optional. If you are planning to use any of them, please note that each follow the same size limit as above.
example:
... etc

dudeguy
03-21-2004, 09:53 AM
Front & side photos of the actor's face should be easy to find on the net.
Good places to start are:
http://images.google.com
http://www.altavista.com/image/default
If anyone knows of any good sites with movie star galleries feel free to share those with everyone.
Hey hap, you may want to add Internet Movie Database

http://www.imdb.com

to the initial post, there are biographies/galleries/filmographies for pretty much every actor and actress you can think of. TONS of info there.

Bent and Bobo, any chance we can get a sub section(but not on the front page) of the Game Art Design for competition WIPs, like cgchat has:
http://www.cgchat.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=58
so they are lost in the depths, like what happened over the weekend.

bentllama
03-21-2004, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by dudeguy

Bent and Bobo, any chance we can get a sub section(but not on the front page) of the Game Art Design for competition WIPs, like cgchat has:
http://www.cgchat.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=58
so they are lost in the depths, like what happened over the weekend.

I will look into it...

chrisdejoya
03-22-2004, 02:10 AM
Does anyone know of any 3D viewers we can use? Preferably with hardware acceleration? Might make the evaluation of the models a little easier.

Neil
03-23-2004, 11:36 PM
It is nice seeing some more front-page plugs coming from in here. :)

I think if reflection maps is really worth arguing over multiple pages over, then please take it up with someone over PM. If you can't deal with it, then don't participate, it's not like you're winning anything, this is supposed to be fun.

Matt
03-25-2004, 04:45 AM
In case it hasn't been mentioned, I think we need a subforum here in Game Art Design specifically for Game Art Competitions.

When the competitions happen, it's very easy for the people not participating to have their threads get lost, and we won't be able to help out or even see their work because there are 4 pages of "GAME ART COMPETITION #6 - ROBOCOP" etc.

Lekku
03-25-2004, 04:26 PM
Still need Judges? I'm too swamped to enter, but I really enjoyed the last one....

Funxer
03-26-2004, 06:48 AM
i'M ALL ABOUT THIS COMPETITION...COUNT ME IN

Danko
03-29-2004, 10:13 PM
I started modeling Tyler Durden (Brad Pitt) in Fight Club but I just saw it's already being done by someone else... I already have the head done and was thinking on turning my model into Brad Pitt in Ocean's Eleven but definitely compared to the character in Fight Club it lacks personality. Also thought about Twelve monkeys but almost couldn't find any references about it. Any clue? :(

Danko
03-29-2004, 10:16 PM
Btw, It's only my fault because honestly on saturday I checked some pages but no all of them. Is there any list with the already taken characters anywhere?

Flyspy
04-02-2004, 08:17 PM
i think you should still carry on. if only to further your self then so be it =p. lookin good every1!!

Steyn
04-03-2004, 10:54 PM
the clarification has been added to the front page, it now reads:
<edit> for clarification...
example:
... etc

wait a minute, I'm a bit confused here, either that or stupid.
Now does a person make two maps (512 and 256) for diffuse AND another two maps (512 and 256) for bump?
Or does a person make ONLY two maps (512 and 256) which consists of diffuse and bump.
and yes, I know I sound dumb.

happosai311
04-05-2004, 04:54 AM
the first...

2 maps (1 512 and 1 256) for each map type... diffuse, bump, alpha, etc.

AndyH
04-05-2004, 06:03 PM
Whats going on with the final submission thread? The one for the last comp kinda slipped by unnoticed for me.
Any ideas on a date when it will be up? Ive nearly finished my entry.

happosai311
04-06-2004, 05:34 AM
I'll create the final submission thread on friday April 16. Everyone will have 3 days to post the submission (fri, sat, sun)
The submission guidelines will be posted closer to that friday.
I've been busy lately, so I still need to think up the submission guidelines... but, they will proly be close to the last competition's.
I also need to gather up all the judges names...

A little under 2 weeks left to finish up thoise movie stars.

happosai311
04-08-2004, 04:40 AM
I went through all six pages and gathered up all the volunteers for judges, and came up with this list of 8.

happosai311 (I did make a WIP, but am not entering)
TRyanD
Poopinmymouth
Lekku

Ivars
dcp
bentllama
dudeguy

The last 4 names have all started a WIP thread. If you are to be a judge and contestant, obviously you can't vote for yourself. Not being able to vote for yourself means 1 less possible vote for your entry from a judge. So, please don't be both. I want everyone to have an even chance of winning votes.
I hope you 4 finish your entries and enter. But, if you are unable to finish for whatever reason by the deadline, please still be a judge. Post here to let me know.

The cut off will be 10. So I still could use a few more volunteers.
It's first come, first serve. So, If Ivars, dcp, bentllama, or dudeguy don't finish their entry they are still ahead of the line.

bentllama
04-08-2004, 10:07 AM
I went through all six pages and gathered up all the volunteers for judges, and came up with this list of 8.

happosai311 (I did make a WIP, but am not entering)
TRyanD
Poopinmymouth
Lekku

Ivars
dcp
bentllama
dudeguy

The last 4 names have all started a WIP thread. If you are to be a judge and contestant, obviously you can't vote for yourself. Not being able to vote for yourself means 1 less possible vote for your entry from a judge. So, please don't be both. I want everyone to have an even chance of winning votes.
I hope you 4 finish your entries and enter. But, if you are unable to finish for whatever reason by the deadline, please still be a judge. Post here to let me know.

The cut off will be 10. So I still could use a few more volunteers.
It's first come, first serve. So, If Ivars, dcp, bentllama, or dudeguy don't finish their entry they are still ahead of the line.

I won't be able to finish my entry. another crunch at work IS right around the corner...

...so I can judge.

bentllama
04-08-2004, 10:11 AM
in OTHER great news.

Leigh has mentioned that we will get a UNOFFICIAL challenge subforum and challenge archive subforum

yay

hooray for us!

Supervlieg
04-08-2004, 10:29 AM
Wooohoo to us!

Supervlieg
04-08-2004, 10:37 PM
Just saw the new challenge threads. Cool.

Do the competition threads of comp 6 get moved there? Or do we just start using them from comp #7 onwards?

dudeguy
04-08-2004, 11:15 PM
But, if you are unable to finish for whatever reason by the deadline, please still be a judge. Post here to let me know.

So, If Ivars, dcp, bentllama, or dudeguy don't finish their entry they are still ahead of the line. hey happ, between 3d for work, 3d for art tests and easter, my personal 3d/entry is unfortunately moving down in terms of priority, we'll see what happens, but there is a good chance you can expect me to be a judge. Anyways good job on taking control of this challenge!

bentllama
04-09-2004, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Supervlieg
Just saw the new challenge threads. Cool.

Do the competition threads of comp 6 get moved there? Or do we just start using them from comp #7 onwards?

I will move them there

Supervlieg
04-09-2004, 03:14 PM
sweet

AndyH
04-10-2004, 01:40 AM
Im presuming the problem with the image links is only tempoary?
They dont show up as the actual image, just the link.
Not a major problem, but idle people (like me) would prefer the pics to just appear.

AndyH
04-10-2004, 02:25 AM
Me again - a question for mister happosai now:

Ive finished my entry and im gonna start the beauty render soon - what are the limits? can i build a background? and can i have a secondary character? I was going to have my nasty drill instructor guy screaming at a poor marine or something - would a second character be overkill?
Also, are the final render posts exactly the same as the last comp (poses, wires, textures and beauty render?)

I wanna get him finished early and out of the way

LordDubu
04-10-2004, 04:27 AM
The subforum is a great idea. One more suggestion. It would be great if the -current- contest guidelines were a sticky. Since updates to the entry threads push it around otherwise.

Supervlieg
04-12-2004, 05:09 PM
Ive noticed that all images posted in the game art challenge subforum show up as links.
Is it possible that the pics show up instead of the links or was this done on purpose for a reason?

Neil
04-13-2004, 04:44 AM
super: i noticed that too, i MSG'd BENT but haven't heard back.
I'll post if i do.

Seven
04-13-2004, 11:43 AM
Hey, quick question.

Im making Forrest Gump, and I have him sitting on the famous bench. When I texture the scene, does the bench have to be included in the texture limit or can I texture the bench separatly because it is not part of the character ?

Cheer guys

Sevv

happosai311
04-13-2004, 10:16 PM
Judge list so far:
happosai311
TRyanD
Poopinmymouth
Lekku
bentllama
dudeguy

Ivars
dcp
Still need to hear from the last names. I'm also still taking voulunteers:lightbulb

I hope the posting of images problem will be fixed. Or the judges are gonna have a really hard time going through all the links comparing models with a million windows open on the taskbar:cry:

Seven
The bench should not be included in the characters texture/poly limit. Only extra props that somehow relate to the character in the game (hats, glasses, weapons, shield, etc.) In the final submission post, the beauty render would be the only time you can show your bench.

Andy H
You can put what you like in that beauty render. But of course will only be judged on your character, so add whatever. But try not to detract from your main character too much.

Which brings me to the **final submission guidelines**:
This is for those that are already done and want to get the renders out of the way early.
This will be posted in the final submission thread on Friday along with instructions for judges, so dont start panicking yet. Dont post your images until I make the thread on Friday.

You're NOT allowed to post more than 5 pictures per post and one post per user. I recommend you to compile what you can into big collages (any collage can be at a higher resolution than 800x600).

Please make single pose images no larger than 800x600, and collages no larger than 1024x768.

Post the following info along with your entry:

Actors real name
The name of the character that they are playing
The movie that they are from.
Polycount (triangles, not quads)
Texture resolution(s)
Number of maps used

1) Actual Photo of the Actor in costume from the movie. Make sure its a good photo, showing a good portion of the actors body (if not all of their body) to allow us to judge the likeness of the model. The better photo you find, the easier it is for us to judge, especially if the character is from a movie that we have not seen.

2) 3 Orthographic views of the model with wireframes, and WITHOUT the texture (just throw on any gray material/shader). A screenshot from any 3 of the following views will work front/back/side/perspective. They should be compiled in to one image(like a collage), this image can be at a higher resolution than 800x600 but not larger than 1024x768.
NOTE: Make sure you hide anything in the scene that might obscure the view of your model. And make sure that only the default viewport light is lighting the scene. No fancy pants colored lights!

3) 1 Perspective shot of your smooth shaded model with textures applied or a collage of different angles/poses/close-ups.
800x600 for 1 perspective shot or 1024x768 for a collage
NOTE: Once again, no fancy pants lighting yet. Just the standard viewport light.

4) Show us the texture(s) for the character.
Please only post the diffuse(color) map(s) as an image. Post Links to the alpha/bump/normal/spec/ maps. This will save space in the thread.
Keeping in mind that the max limit for the diffuse was 1 512x512 & 1 256x256ɡ
Please combine those 2 into 1 512x768 image. If you want you can put 1 of the alpha, bump, normal or spec maps into the left over 256x256 hole on that image, or just leave it black.

5) Beauty Render. Show us what you've got and make it as pretty as you can. Posing, fancy lights, background, etc, etc.
800x600

CGmonkey
04-14-2004, 01:49 PM
Totally sweet dudes!!! :bounce:

The subforums are great and really cleaned up the Gameart general forum!

I'm so glad we took the initiative to start up the challenge again!

AndyH
04-14-2004, 01:51 PM
Thanks for sorting all that out so early.
Ive done all my renders and screencaps and its out of my hair now!
I just need to keep me eye out for the final posts thread.

Lekku
04-15-2004, 03:48 PM
MUCH better! I was getting lost, but this is great!. Keep up the good work!

Neil
04-15-2004, 07:04 PM
This forum has gotten so quiet lately, what gives?
only 3 posts a day?

Supervlieg
04-15-2004, 08:21 PM
Yeah Ive been wondering the same, it been really quiet. Perhaps moving the competition also kinda removed some vibe from the regular game forum. And perhaps people are just not finding their threads anymore.

happosai311
04-16-2004, 10:49 AM
submissions thread is up now.

AndyH
04-16-2004, 04:32 PM
Good job!

Ive made my post, but i was forced to reduce my IMG links to 4 - i posted 5 - like you said - and i got a message saying im unable to post because i have too many images!
My photo reference pic is now a link - is that ok?
Plus, the final thread needs to be a sticky post methinks.

Also, can someone pleeeeaaaase get the mods to put this comp on front page?? ive already tried 2 diff moderators!

Neil
04-16-2004, 06:56 PM
msg Leigh.
although she'll tell you to msg bent/bobo, atleast she'll do something too.

Lekku
04-16-2004, 08:18 PM
So... It begins again.......

Neil
04-16-2004, 11:58 PM
competition ends this weekend?!?!

argh, only 2 people even submitted... i doubt i'll make it.

happosai311
04-18-2004, 12:22 PM
Remember the deadline on submitting is at the END of Sunday. So You actually still have all of Sunday for submitting. Judging will begin on monday.

Ivars
04-18-2004, 03:06 PM
Since I wont be able to finish my entry in time :sad: Im ready to do some judging on monday!

Prs-Phil
04-18-2004, 04:32 PM
hmmm, is it still possible that I could to some judgeing to please :) ?

Supervlieg
04-18-2004, 07:04 PM
Remember the deadline on submitting is at the END of Sunday. So You actually still have all of Sunday for submitting. Judging will begin on monday.

that's very nice, Ill be using up those final hours!

happosai311
04-18-2004, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by Prs-Phil
hmmm, is it still possible that I could to some judgeing to please :) ?
Yup

Ivars: Sorry to hear that. I really liked yours too:cry: Hopefully you will finish it some day.

Judge list:
happosai311
TRyanD
Poopinmymouth
Lekku
bentllama
dudeguy
Ivars
dcp
Prs-Phil

AndyH
04-27-2004, 10:36 AM
Has everyone voted now? the forum has been eerily quiet recently.

Supervlieg
04-27-2004, 07:44 PM
I dont know, I guess everbody who was gonna vote, voted. And I would say congrats to you man! I dont think any vote would influence the outcome anymore :)
Compliments on your model! :applause: :beer:

So any ideas on where you might take the next challenge?

And yeah, the forums seem way more quiet now that theyve gotten their own sub forums. I guess they're harder to find or sumthin.

AndyH
04-27-2004, 08:03 PM
Thanks.

I guess i have won it then! :rolleyes:

Behold the fanfare, see the fireworks, hear the crowd (!)

I have about 5 or 6 ideas for the next competition (DEFINATELY character based again), but im kinda put off by the whole making the rules, answering questions, moderating the competition thing - its a big commitment, and Ive got a couple of other home projects on the go. as well as work starting soon (I hope!) So im not sure if I can commit myself to do it just yet. I may make it a slightly easier / quicker competition - not only so I can finish it quickly, but so others can finish their entries in time - a lot of people didnt get their entry through to the submission thread. I was thinking maybe have a lower, more realistic poly limit.

Ill present my ideas once i get comfirmation and my prestigious golden statue award :shrug:

happosai311
04-27-2004, 08:12 PM
Only judge left was dcp. I PM'd dcp on sunday... No response. Anyway, congrats to everyone who entered and congrats to those that didn't make the deadline. It was fun seeing all the movie stars.
Great job AndyH. Know what your gonna pick already for the next theme?

I't was fun organizing this whole thing, but i'm glad it's over. It takes alot of time typing up all the rules, keeping things organized, answering all the questions, and remembering all the dates that you set. But it was still fun of course.

Good Luck AndyH!:thumbsup:

Supervlieg
04-27-2004, 08:20 PM
you have my vote for a more "simple" comp. Though I think less rules will only conjure up more questions, I think it is worth a try. I think lowering the polycount would also help in making it more simple and easier to finish. How about a so called lo-fi comp with a small polybudget (eg. below 1000) and 1 texture (1 256x256)

While some might dislike the low specs, it could lower the workload for the comp and be interesting to see how the model turn out imo.

happosai311
04-27-2004, 08:27 PM
Ill present my ideas once i get comfirmation and my prestigious golden statue award

AndyH, Since this was only an unofficial comp, we did not exactly have the budjet to get fancy trophies. This was all that I could afford:
http://www.mitchell.k12.sd.us/ttl/2002%20TTL%20Pics/trophy.jpg
Please cherish it.

Actually I just stole this one from one of the Official challenges. So take it and run before they notice it missing.
http://www.tolsonmessenger.co.uk/images/trophy.gif

AndyH
04-27-2004, 08:37 PM
And so it begins!

Here are my suggestions, in order of 'goodness':
You can probably tell theres a bit of a monster theme going on!

1 - Zombies (yay!)
2 - Silent hill style monster (scary and disturbing, but subtle)
3 - Famous movie monster
4 - Last boss type character (I cant take credit for this one - someone suggested it in an old comp!)
5 - Mech suit / Giant robot
6 - Old kids cartoon character
7 - Giant monster (100s of feet tall)
8 - Fave Transformers Character

Tell me what y'all think about em.
Ill probably aim for a lower poly count than ususal - maybe around 3000 to 3500 tris.

AndyH
04-27-2004, 08:38 PM
lol - love that trophy - ill put it on my mantlepiece

Supervlieg
04-27-2004, 09:57 PM
I say Cartoon characters. Especially eighties cartoons characters.

(Or do you mean something else by "old kids cartoon")

itsKev
04-27-2004, 10:11 PM
monsters sounds good

I've been looking at the '30 Days of Night' comics and was thinking about trying to make a vampire in that style anyway so it would fit in with my plans

TRyanD
04-28-2004, 04:51 AM
Originally posted by Supervlieg
I say Cartoon characters. Especially eighties cartoons characters.

(Or do you mean something else by "old kids cartoon")

Agreed!!

This would be cool to do, and it may be alot easier for noobs like me to texture them hehe.

:thumbsup:

With this theme then the transformers could still be used ;) generation one ruled!! GiJoe, speed racer, birdman, spaceghost, flinstones etc :) could be cooler then the oldschool game one was!

:bowdown:

Buck
04-28-2004, 06:26 AM
my vote is on the cartoon characters! i think there are huge possibilities for this to turn out great, especially with a cartoon shader :buttrock:

Lukavi
04-28-2004, 07:23 AM
Well Im all for cartoon characters for the next round, specifically 80s charcaters. Course if it goes that way I call dibbs on Thundercats Lion-O! Oh yeah, and w00t on my second place! :p

Supervlieg
04-28-2004, 08:51 AM
Lion-o eh. I was thinking the same...

AndyH
04-28-2004, 10:21 AM
Hmmm.... ok. So I guess old toon characters is the likely candidate. However, im still dead keen on the zombie idea.... We'll see how things turn out, eh?
One guy's work who really inspired me to do cartoon characters was this guy - these characters he did from the anime "Azumanga Daioh" are really low poly, yet effective. If i go for the toon characters one, this is the sort of polycount I will aim for:
Incise Soul (http://members.jcom.home.ne.jp/chuck-s/)

I cant link directly to the image, so you'll have to go into 3DCG2 and click on the 3rd and 4th box on in the "junk" section at the bottom

Check out the other work on his site too - he does some well cool anime style 3d.

Supervlieg
04-28-2004, 11:49 AM
Those are some very wicked models, very poly effective. I like the style he did hem in too. Very soft and cell shaded like though as far as I can tell no real cell shading going on. I would say those models are in the 1500/2000 poly range. Perhaps even less.

The high poly doa models are well worth a check as well.

AndyH
04-28-2004, 11:55 AM
yeah - if you look through the text you can actually download the lightwave object and the texture for it, so you can check out the topology and the poly count!
Kudos to the guy!

Ivars
04-28-2004, 12:25 PM
Id say go for the zombies!
I would like a contest that involves chracter design.
I really like the idea of useing a tighter polybudget and lower res textures. Itll be great :buttrock:

And congrats to your 1st place Andy H:applause:

Lukavi
04-28-2004, 02:39 PM
Only reason Im not really for the zombie idea is because its been done to death, hehe, no pun intended.

Spankspeople
04-28-2004, 04:01 PM
Okay, I would so love to see Silent Hill style monsters. Not quite so commonly done as zombies, and offers a chance for a LOT of creativity.

Not that my vote matters, but Silent Hill-esque monsters gets it... =P

Supervlieg
04-28-2004, 04:04 PM
I think zombies have been done to death, thats why I chose the other. But then again, I never really did a good low poly zombie, so I might go for it as well.

Whats the difference between silent hill monsters and zombie monsters? (I havent played SH, so I dont know the difference)

Spankspeople
04-28-2004, 04:44 PM
Silent Hill monsters are bizzarre and twisted. Especially with the second game, they're based around someone's mind. In the first game there are simple things like dogs, evil children... stuff that a child would be frightened of... The character in the second game had a lot of death and guilt on his mind, so there's the bodybag monsters, the evil manequins(I think they represent his wife, or something), the executioner Pyramid Head...

Not entirely sure where the monsters in SH3 came from, but they were just as creepy and twisted.

The thing that seperates them from standard horror monsters/zombies is that they just don't look or move quite right... Nothing so horribly out of place that they're completely alien, just enough to be exceptionally creepy.

I can't view gaming sites here at work, so I can't find any pictures... *shrug*

The only problem with Silent Hill style anything(after the first game, anyways) is that not much happens on screen at once, so everything is rather high on the poly count, so it wouldn't really match the desire to go really low poly with this comp. =P

itsKev
04-28-2004, 04:48 PM
the famous movie monster one would offer a wider range of stuff for people to do than the zombie one but could be along similar lines..

tho I supose if the cartoon one happens I could go for count Duckula... only do one from before the ketchup incident. covered in blood with crazy red eyes

Dargon
04-28-2004, 04:52 PM
Whats the difference between silent hill monsters and zombie monsters? (I havent played SH, so I dont know the difference)

Silent Hill had more disturbing, menally wierd characters, only a few were zombiesque. The idea is good, but I wouldn't put it as Silent Hill characters, because anyone who hasn't played the game, won't really know what kinda stuff is meant, plus there's the whole ripping it off directly thing.

I'd put it more as "the most disturbing creature that your imagination can muster", or some such thing. Give Silent Hill as an example instead.

Or how about an out do Silent Hill challenge? Try to create something so disturbing, it would give Silent Hill, Resident Evil, American McGee's Alice all a run for their money?

Spankspeople
04-28-2004, 04:53 PM
Yeah, Silent Hill, I suppose, is more the twisted psychological horror monster rather than the generally frightening horror monster.

Dunno if I could outdo Silent Hill, or American McGee's Alice... those were done by some pretty twisted people...

bentllama
04-28-2004, 04:57 PM
zombies are dumb. except for the FLOOD that is...

Spankspeople
04-28-2004, 05:06 PM
*bangs head against desk*

AndyH
04-28-2004, 05:08 PM
Bent - Mmmm.... gotta love that pop noise they make when you shoot the lil flood geezers.

Im liking the Silent hill style idea - when people think of monsters, they seem to be comical looking things - few monsters are genuinely disturbing - thats kinda why I used silent hill as an example - theyre in a class of its own.
I took this screencap from the trailer for silent hill 4 - its dead simple, but because its familiar, yet unfamiliar, it makes you more uneasy than seeing, say, a 10 foot muscly frog monster with dripping fangs!

http://www.btinternet.com/~chunglist2/CGTALK/silenthill.jpg

Let the idea brainstorming continue....

Supervlieg
04-28-2004, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Dargon
[B]..."the most disturbing creature that your imagination can muster", or some such thing. Give Silent Hill as an example instead...

I like this idea a lot. Lots of freedom to make some original character design.

btw, for those who want to have a look, here are some SH3 creatures.
http://www.felixmcli.org/sh3-lostmem-cre.html

Spankspeople
04-28-2004, 05:54 PM
AHA! I was right, those things under the grated ground in Silent Hill 2 WERE variations on the club hand thingies(Closers, I think) in Silent Hill 3. Neat!

AndyH
04-28-2004, 05:56 PM
Cheers for all that - ive been after some decent silent hill pics for a while. Im gonna be downloading those videos for days to come!

Ive always loved the look and feel of the silent hill games - they werent that much fun to play, but they were a great experience.

Btw - you sure like your stikfas' mister vileg!

Lukavi
04-28-2004, 06:31 PM
So who puts down the official vote for what the next competition is? Hope its voted on soon, I cant wait to sttart the next one. :D

AndyH
04-28-2004, 06:51 PM
Meee! That is my amazing prize! :eek:
Ill be deciding in the next couple of days.

Its a toss up between good and evil (kinda)

Low poly (about 1500 polys) Cartoon characters. Not sure wether ill restrict it to old (40s - 80s) toons, or all eras and styles.

or

Silent hill style monster - AKA the most disturbing creature you can design and model.

One is a quick competition (toons) and the other will require a lot of time and effort - particulary on the design side.

I have one or 2 home models im working on at the mo, as well as impending work, so its tempting for me to opt for the cartoon one. Plus, it would be intresting to see a lower poly budget, and an emphasis on form, rather than texture.

Ill decide for sure in a day or 2.

Spankspeople
04-28-2004, 07:05 PM
Good good, I think I know what I'd want to do(Ack! If I enter the competition I might have to actually FINISH something!) either way, so I'll just sit and wait.

Lukavi
04-28-2004, 07:07 PM
How bout a zombie version of your favorite cartoon character. lol just kidding. :p

TRyanD
04-28-2004, 08:49 PM
rofl!!

A disturbing zombie speedracer!

I really like the idea of a disturbing monster, but im a newb so making something like that would be tuff for me >_< Seems like for them to be good, they would need a high poly count and leet textures etc.

Im for either one, i know some of you guys would make some badass monsters hehe, but i would rather it be the toons so maybee some newbs could give it a shot :P

Supervlieg
04-28-2004, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by Andy H
Btw - you sure like your stikfas' mister vileg!

Gotta love those Stikfas. I prefer them with little nuclear danger signs on them.

Neil
04-29-2004, 02:05 AM
I'm pretty sure you guys know by now, that I'm gonna be against doing ANOTHER character contest. I'm not environment pro or anything, but there is more to gaming than just characters.

I would like to see something different. But again, since you're the winner, it's up to you ;)

We had a few people just building off old character models for this last comp too, which defeated the purpose.

itsKev
04-29-2004, 02:30 AM
some nice monster stuff here,
quite similar to the silent hill 4 pic posted back thar in feel

http://www.steveniles.com/thirtydays/

woo monsters! monsters woo! (this convinceing anyone?)

if ya pick the cartoon characters would it be exactly as in the cartoon or an update?
would the thundercats havta be lumpy as in the actual cartoon or could ya make the ones from the J Scott Campbell comic?

Lukavi
04-29-2004, 03:16 AM
Well assuming it went with cartoon characters, I would surely put my own spin on it. Especially since Lion-Os uniform does look kind of bland by todays standards. Hell Ill probably do it anyway even if it isnt for the competition. ;)

AndyH
04-29-2004, 03:28 AM
Sorry you feel that way neil - your models have been good so far.
I want to do characters really, cos environments arent really my strong point, and characters are a lot more intresting to look at in my opinion - maybe you should try extra hard to win this so you can choose enviros for the next comp? :D
As for the cartoon one, (if i choose it) ill be tempted to just do a straight copy of the character - to provoke 'authenticity'. Altered characters wont give you that nostalgic feeling that im aiming for.

On the other hand, Im also thinking of expanding the scope to ALL cartoons, not just old ones. Im not sure.....

TRyanD
04-29-2004, 08:11 AM
All cartoons would be cool, but then you have the millions of anime models already made people may try to use lol.

Although aquateen or family guy etc would be interesting, i would rather see old school

Thundercats, Mask, Heman etc :P

Dargon
04-29-2004, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Andy H
Sorry you feel that way neil - your models have been good so far.
I want to do characters really, cos environments arent really my strong point, and characters are a lot more intresting to look at in my opinion - maybe you should try extra hard to win this so you can choose enviros for the next comp? :D
As for the cartoon one, (if i choose it) ill be tempted to just do a straight copy of the character - to provoke 'authenticity'. Altered characters wont give you that nostalgic feeling that im aiming for.

On the other hand, Im also thinking of expanding the scope to ALL cartoons, not just old ones. Im not sure.....

That does bring up a difficult question. Would you do exact copies like the last challenge, or your own take, like the challenge immediately previous to it. Hmm.

I personally lean with something that has to be designed, rather than faithfully emulated.

Prs-Phil
04-29-2004, 12:39 PM
yeah its about time that something should be designed not just recreated.

AndyH
04-29-2004, 01:46 PM
Ok.... Ive decided!
I im goin with the toon plan.
Ill make up the full rules later, but for now, all I can say is:

Create a good lowpoly likeness of a cartoon character.

The rules I have so far is that Warner Brothers or Disney cartoons CANNOT be chosen, otherwise there will be an outbreak of bugs bunnies, donald ducks and supermans! Also, there has already been several 3d versions of them for various liscenced games.

The poly limit could possibly be around 1000 - 1500 Triangles.

Dont be put off by my exclusion of the 2 major toon companies - theres still hanna barberra, 80 toons, MGM, and modern toons like the stuff you see on cartoon network. Im not 100% sure, but I may also include Anime characters into the mix. Ill let you know.

Sorry if it involves no real design process again, but Im aiming for a quicker, simpler competition this time, so that more people can enter, and the deadline would be a bit shorter. There wasnt that many people who made it to the last one.

Start thinking, and ill provide more details when i have them!

Ivars
04-29-2004, 02:09 PM
Sounds great! :thumbsup:
I think itll be really funny.
Popeye isnt Disney is he? I dont know... Because he would be fun to do :)
Anyway, Im looking forward to it. But I think we should give the last one a prper ending first. Sum up the scores and present the winner! (wich is you)

Maybe someone should create a little trophy. Like that golden foot for the official challenges. Something that you can put on your website....

Lukavi
04-29-2004, 02:45 PM
Sounds good man, Im all for it! :D

Supervlieg
04-29-2004, 04:29 PM
Cool, I like the low polycount idea. For cartoons, It'll be hard to choose. Though I was a real fan of the Thundercats. I still think they were among the best drawn cartoons of that time.

Im for a nice conclusion to the previous comp. How about closing the Submission thread with a nice overview Happosai311?

Neil
04-30-2004, 02:39 AM
i think this was asked already, but when you say cartoons, does that mean anime?
b/c then we're gonna see a lot of EVA and AKIRA stuff again.

AndyH
04-30-2004, 02:59 AM
I really dont know - Obviously being an anime freak, I would like to do anime, but then the competition would be inconsistent because you would have say, Top Cat being judged against something that most people would not know, such as Genma from Ranma, it seems a bit odd.
But on the other hand, It has a lot of scope when you consider the Ghibli characters (dibs on Kiki or Totoro btw :D)
Ill decide for sure tomorrow, and im hoping to give all the rules then. Maybe even start the comp.

Buck
04-30-2004, 12:09 PM
I like the idea of this next challenge, good chioce! :thumbsup:

i got dibs on johnny bravo ;)

AndyH
04-30-2004, 02:41 PM
And so it begins!

Ive put up the Game comp #7 thread (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=141282)!
Get your choices in!

Any questions or problems, let me know (in that thread, not this one)

By the way - can one of the moderators make it a sticky post and move the existing competition into the archives?

Thanks!

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.