PDA

View Full Version : low/medium poly character modeling

PenGuin
07-05-2002, 11:49 AM
hello there, :wavey:

I'm modeling my first character ever. It's a mid poly ( 3000 ) dwarf
warrior for a game. Because it is a dwarf it is important to create most realistic long beard, moustache and some braids. I can spend there about 200-250 polys on "hairy" part.
I would like to ask for some advice 'cos I'm totally green on this one. Would it be better to create hairs from stripes of polygons or create dimensional hairs, or blend those tehniques.
Help me out. Any suggestion would be very helpful.

To give you an idea how that creature that supposed to be dwarf looks. It looks more like goblin face right now (I have to work on that to)

http://www.astercity.net/~peng22/trash/dwarf_begining8.jpg

mebamonster
07-13-2002, 07:52 AM
If this is going to be a game model, a lot should be done with texturing. My suggestion would be to make the beard as a single clump of geometry built off of the face...make sure it has enough geometry in it to bend and move fluidly, but avoid creating a lot of seperate strips as it will simply require more animation considerations for loops and such and it will add a lot of unnecessary geometry. Texture maps are god in this field...use them.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.