PDA

View Full Version : Zbrush displacement support?

chikega
03-14-2004, 08:58 PM
Any word whether XSI will support Zbrush 2's displacement mapping?

ray
03-14-2004, 09:05 PM
Zbrush 2's generated displacement/normal maps are regular image files, so every app that handles disp/normal mapping should get along nicely with Z2. So should XSi, I suppose...

Ray

chikega
03-15-2004, 03:19 AM
Thanks for the reply, Ray. I have two main apps, Cinema4d and Lightwave. I've come to find out that C4d doesn't support it at this time - but is being requested for a future release. And LW's displacement mapping is not fully implemented due to an issue with it's UV handling. Oh yes, I have messiah:studio as well, but that's not supported at this time. I've come to an impasse.:hmm:

But, then again, there is that deal Softimage is running ....

tachy0n
03-15-2004, 07:48 AM
I think this might be due to some apps not supporting micropoly displacement. I know LW doesn't, maybe C4D and Messiah also ? The thing is if your renderer doesn't support this feature, then you'l still be able to use ZBrush displacements, but won't get the benefits of using them in the first place. AFIAK Mental Ray supports this, so all apps that have it should be able to use ZBrush displacement maps.

And yes, there is that sweet Softimage deal...:thumbsup:

chikega
03-15-2004, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the headsup, tachyOn! :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.