PDA

View Full Version : Texture/Model interaction WIP

dangerkid
03-13-2004, 06:16 PM
Hi everybody - this is my first post at cgtalk! I'm currently in school and working on project that is supposed to be graphically similar to a game environment... i.e. low-poly models, low-res repeating textures, etc... The focus is more on the texturing here as the model is mostly just basic geometry.

As you can see, I'm not finished texturing and won't have time to finish until later this week due to other work , but feedback of any sort would be very useful.

I have very little modeling or textuing experience at this point but want to learn all I can so any criticism or advice is welcome and appreciated.

Here are a couple of shots:
http://www.dangerkid.com/images/texturewip/wip01.jpg

http://www.dangerkid.com/images/texturewip/wip02.jpg

Some of the individual texture maps can be seen here (http://www.dangerkid.com/wip/textures.html).

I created all of these on a laptop where the brightness was fine, but as I see them on this CRT monitor, they appear much darker. I apologize if they are hard to see, I'll have to look into why this is.

Thanks!

Tahl'eN
03-14-2004, 12:24 AM
Lets see. Good start, and yes, way too dark. Not just the renders, but the textures, too.

The wall textures look pretty good. Too dark, and not enough contrast, but they're interesting. I don't know if they need to be 1042x1024, though. Especilly since your light texture is only 512 and occupying as much space as the wall textures.

The repeating grate is too blurry. Both the texture itself and the holes need to be sharpened up. Also, there should be some shading at the edges of the holes to suggest 3-dimentionality. And definately a chunk of geometry along the sides or the grate in the scene itself so the player can't look at this sheet polygon directly end-on. (especially since the rails are 3d rather than maps.)

All 3 of your repeating tiles are borring. While I realize this is the point, they need a little more contrast to them so the detail can actually be seen in the scene.

I notice that you are using both spec and bump maps in this scene. What engine are you planning on putting this on? And are you planning on putting bump maps on everything eventually?

dangerkid
03-14-2004, 06:45 AM
Hey Tahl'en - thanks for the insight... I'll definitely keep those things in mind when I rework this stuff. As far as engines go, this was just a basic texture study for school and was thrown together in Maya with no real intention of taking it elsewhere. The last game engine I messed with was the original Half-Life and that was straight coding. The artistic aspects as somewhat new to me, but I far more interesting I think.

amola2k
03-20-2004, 06:31 PM
good start !
keep it up man !
cheers

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.