PDA

View Full Version : Still: Bust of Ajax (from a tutorial)

ray
03-12-2004, 06:01 PM
This is a model I created for a 16-hrs video tutorial session :

http://www.claus-figuren.de/wip/ajax_render2.jpg

other views:

more frontal (http://www.claus-figuren.de/wip/ajax_render3.jpg)
side view (http://www.claus-figuren.de/wip/ajax_render1.jpg)
from behind, more details from the helmet visible (http://www.claus-figuren.de/wip/ajax_render4.jpg)
wireframe, diff. views (http://www.claus-figuren.de/wip/ajax02_wire.jpg)
brightly lit, more details visible (http://www.claus-figuren.de/wip/ajax01_plain.jpg) ^

hope you like it.

(the tutorial video is available at www.3dtutorial.com, ahem(-: )

BTW, do you think it's ok to post a link to the tutorial in the news section? :blush:

Cheers,
Ray

Protoplasma
03-12-2004, 07:40 PM
wow!
very good modeling !haent seen the tutorial yet but i guess its worth to look at. (*opens new browser window*) ;)
the bluish reflection under the helmet is quite strong imo. nevertheless awesome work !

EdHarriss
03-12-2004, 07:41 PM
That's a fantastic model Ray! I really like the polished/wet look, but maybe it looks just a little too polished. Regardless, its still great.

Adam
03-12-2004, 07:49 PM
hey pretty great head I think the only real problem is the reflections. they seem way to strong for how dark the image is overall

thirdborracho
03-12-2004, 07:52 PM
I'm still stuck trying to the the parallax distortion correct. :)

Nice model, i look forward to (getting past the parallax distortion) and finishing it myself.

GOVernor451
03-12-2004, 07:55 PM
Good model... Unless the reflections are to make some kind of point in the turorial, I'm not sure they should be there at all.

nineinchneil
03-12-2004, 08:20 PM
oh my god, that is a lot of detail!

the blue reflections on the face really bug the hell outta me, though. you should just use the brightly lit picture in the last link.

amazing work, man. :thumbsup:

Kel Solaar
03-12-2004, 08:58 PM
Impressive level of detail!:buttrock:

DJ Scorchio
03-12-2004, 09:22 PM
Brilliant model! Have to agree with the person who said about preffering the brightly lit one to the one with the blue reflections, they kinda bug me as well...

Pjanssen
03-12-2004, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Emrah
whoa! Incredible model. Isnt this the jewish Ajax god from the Netherlands? It looks very good. Did you model it from a tutorial or did you make the tutorial?

Well done!
LOL ! The jewish god Ajax from the Netherlands.... ahum.....

I think you're r making a huge joke, r you're pretty confused....
Ajax is a footballclub, the say that they are jews, but that's just strange.... Ajax you see here is a greek god.

TriEye
03-12-2004, 09:31 PM
The reflections on the face seem a little to strong and uneven. More liek scratches than reflections. The modeling is top notch. :thumbsup:

Ataru
03-12-2004, 09:37 PM
if it wasent for the background, it would look like a photo. Really great work on the texturing/ lighting ;)

Mechis
03-12-2004, 09:46 PM
Has anyone purchased this tutorial? Early opinions?
thx,
~Mechis

Bredro1
03-12-2004, 09:53 PM
Beautiful model there Ray.The only thing that catches my eye is the vertical support behind the bust.....because everything is so curved....the vertical angle of it really stands out to much.Mabey if the back end of it was curved inward toward the bust.
Btw...did you mirror the beard details?

Bredro1

Ben Sones
03-12-2004, 09:53 PM
Agree re: the reflections on the face, but I wouldn't get rid of them--just tone them down a bit. The strong reflections on the base of the bust look fine.

The model itself is stunning. Beautifully done. How many polys, altogether?

Error404
03-12-2004, 10:13 PM
front page, built from a tutorial? hm... :shrug: or do you mean you wrote the tutorial?

well, impressive none the less :) One thing though, the reflections seem to be a bit of a distraction for me, I think tone them down, and it would look even better :)

orvski
03-12-2004, 10:15 PM
reallly good modeling. good job!

and for the people who DONT READ the authors post and just look for the picture :P, he made it "FOR" a tutorial he is making.

FOR a tutorial ok? get it guys?

Bredro1
03-12-2004, 10:26 PM
Go to his website...all answers will be revealed :hmm:

Bredro1

Ben Sones
03-12-2004, 10:40 PM
He wrote the tutorial.

jdsb
03-12-2004, 11:24 PM
yup,great detail :) .great model :wavey:

ray
03-13-2004, 12:10 AM
:beer: first off, thanks everyone for your compliments, critiques, and for the frontpage link!!

I'll have a go at the questions:

Emrah> Isnt this the jewish Ajax god from the Netherlands?
AFAIK (I didn't inquire this too deeply, honestly) he's a warrior from the greek mythology. He's in the logo though for the soccerclub "Ajax Amsterdam". (check www.ajax.nl). Before I heard of him I would have probably thought he'd be a famous ancient soccerballer :-)

Emrah> Did you model it from a tutorial or did you make the tutorial?
The tutorial was made by me, it wasn't the other way round. It's not so much a traditional tutorial, rather a modelling session, but fully-commented. The maybe most interesting technique that I'm showing is something I call the 3/4-reference technique: For the head, I don't use a front and a side view for reference, but instead only 1 perspective view. This technique eliminates a lot of problems there are with the f/s view technique, for example perspective distortion in the reference pictures. The whole 3d depth info can be extracted nevertheless using this technique, even though it's only 1 picture. ( It's an XSI tutorial by the way )

Protoplasma> the bluish reflection under the helmet is quite strong imo
EdHarriss> I really like the polished/wet look, but maybe it looks just a little too polished.
Adam> hey pretty great head I think the only real problem is the reflections.
I totally agree with this. No excuse for that.:blush: There's a new blurry reflection shader out now for mental ray. Maybe I'll have a go with this one.

Bredo1> only thing that catches my eye is the vertical support behind the bust.....because everything is so curved....
Thanks for the input. I'll change this in case I'll check out the new mr shader.

Ben Sones> How many polys, altogether?
22819 unsubdivided

Btw...did you mirror the beard details?
Yes indeed. I think I should've spent more time covering this fact up :-)

Ok thanks again for everything you wrote. This really made my day a lot nicer!!!

Cheers,
Ray

DoLeeP
03-13-2004, 12:24 AM
:thumbsup:

elhuppi
03-13-2004, 01:04 AM
Hi Ray,

Great modelling on the bust. The Detail of the beard looks incredible, though the entire Count is 22 thousand.

Im from Bonn also! Never met anyone else in here whos from my town. Great to see a great artist comming from my hometown. Maybe we can meet one day if you like to. Im not a Softimage user but a Maya user - shouldnt be a problem at all :-)

There are some very good models on your webpage besides this one, even if they are mostly WIP and unfinished.

Keep it up.

Cheers,

Alex

ray
03-13-2004, 01:15 AM
Hey Alex
Klaro schreib einfach ne Mail wenn Du mal hier bist, rc@claus-figuren.de ! Werd ich auch tun wenn ich mal in Berlin bin, komme aber leider recht selten raus in die grosse weite Welt ;)
Danke fr die netten comments!
Reinhard

chikega
03-13-2004, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by ray
:beer: first off, thanks everyone for your compliments, critiques, and for the frontpage link!!

And you're getting some exposure in other forums as well - in fact, someone who uses Silo is applying your techniques after having watched your video. I'm sure this will work for other SubD programs as well. Very nice modeling! :)

telamon
03-13-2004, 01:21 AM
That is the greatest model ever seen... I did not dare to do that. I will.

Originally posted by ray

AFAIK (I didn't inquire this too deeply, honestly) he's a warrior from the greek mythology. He's in the logo though for the soccerclub "Ajax Amsterdam". (check www.ajax.nl). Before I heard of him I would have probably thought he'd be a famous ancient soccerballer :-)

Precisely Ajax is son of telamon (look my nick :D ). He was king of Salamine.
When Agammemnon grouped the Greek army to get back Helen from the Trojans, Ajax joined the war.
He is mainly the symbol of defence. He always appear from nowhere when greek heros are in a bad situation.
At the middle of the Trojan war, he challenged Hector alone. One by one. The winner would keep Hellen.This fight was a draw. He gave his belt to Hector and Hector gave him a sword as a present.

>> here ends Ajax' legend in homeric tales <<

When his cousin Achille (the son of telamon's brother Pelee - again football), was killed by Paris - Alexander, his weapon and armour were given to Oddysseus by a councile. Ajax claimed, saying that he was Achille's only family. Oddysseus defence was to say that without him (Oddysseus), Achille would have never joined the battle and the greek army would have lost agains Hector. Ajax went crazy (he was enchanted by Athena). He killed sheeps (or cows) thinking it was Oddysseus and his army. When he realised that he got crazy, he went atop a cliff and committed suicide with the sword he was given by Hector.

>> here ends Ajax' legend in Sophocle's tragedy <<

A dramatic hero, a great man, an homeric fate. I love this character.

Congrats dude
:thumbsup:

ray
03-13-2004, 01:34 AM
Wow thanks a lot for this comment, and the wonderful information, Telamon! His life ends so sadly, it sounds so very real.

>>And you're getting some exposure in other forums as well - in
>>fact, someone who uses Silo is applying your techniques after
>>having watched your video. I'm sure this will work for other
>>SubD programs as well. Very nice modeling!

thanks, also for pointing this out, chikega! I used the technique successfully with 3dsmax also.

Cheers,
Reinhard

3dtutorial
03-13-2004, 01:44 AM
Well those ancient Greeks knew a thing or two about mathematics and writing a good tragedy!

Cheers,

J

santiago
03-13-2004, 02:13 AM
that's crazy dude

dwin
03-13-2004, 02:41 AM
You always make a great work...:bowdown: :thumbsup:

oxyg3n
03-13-2004, 03:44 AM
Your wireframes are crazy. Lots of detail in them.

sherban
03-13-2004, 04:38 AM
Originally posted by ray
This is a model I created for a 16-hrs video tutorial session :

http://www.claus-figuren.de/wip/ajax_render2.jpg

Very beautiful and percise model.
However there's some problems with your lighting.
The bright speculars would suggest that the strongest light source is behind the viewer (a bit to the left).
Yet the strongest light is from above and to the back of the bust (with no speculars as far as I could tell)

If you used an image map (HDRI?) for the speculars I'd play with the lights to better simulate the lighting conditions suggested by the image.

great model :thumbsup:

cheybea
03-13-2004, 06:25 AM
shiny and glossy...
looks good
i like it

Bredro1
03-13-2004, 11:06 AM
Hey Ray...was wondering...will you be doing a 3dMax tutorial set as well.........pretty please:bounce:

Bredro1

Racavocals
03-13-2004, 11:14 AM
Personally, from my experience with my mother and her antique shop, not necessarily with shaders or mat., if the material is supposed to be a glazed piece of pottery sculpture then a big props because thats the best recreation of a glaze look I've ever seen in CG, now if it's supposed to be a polished stone of any kind then I agree with most alot the other posters that the reflectiveness just looks a little too much, either way good work on a model for a tutorial.
I find that most tutorials oversimplify the model to get to an end result quicker and to not make the modeling section of the tutorial so long, but I really enjoy it when you get to follow along and learn someone elses little modeling tricks, we all have our own little shortcuts we take and its great when we get to learn more of them from others experiences.
Top notch work IMHO.
:applause:

hesido
03-13-2004, 11:16 AM
Superb model and textures. Juuuust a little less reflections please!

edit: Sherban is soo right. please rotate your hdri :)

RIC
03-13-2004, 11:24 AM
wow amazing model !!!

francescaluce
03-13-2004, 04:38 PM
great model, rray !!

it's scandalous that you post an image like the above... with a model like that one.... hope you have not included the reflections also in the tuts....:scream:

There's a new blurry reflection shader out now for mental ray.
Where ?!! :wip:

ciao
francesca

santiago
03-13-2004, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by sherban
Very beautiful and percise model.
However there's some problems with your lighting.
The bright speculars would suggest that the strongest light source is behind the viewer (a bit to the left).
Yet the strongest light is from above and to the back of the bust (with no speculars as far as I could tell)

If you used an image map (HDRI?) for the speculars I'd play with the lights to better simulate the lighting conditions suggested by the image.

great model :thumbsup:

I agree, some of the reflected specularity is under shadow, that is intended to be a reflection, but if the reflection is that bright it should also have some effect on the lighting of the figure, it can't be totally washed out I guess.

Raul-Reznek
03-13-2004, 08:13 PM
the piece is interesting but i think that the perspective does not favor the model plus the reflections are far too strong for the background.

the neutral render is much better in my op.

excellent

ray
03-13-2004, 08:28 PM
Heyyyy thanks everyone again for all the nice comments! I already had nice dreams from yesterdays comments.
:bowdown:

sherban> The bright speculars would suggest that the strongest light source is behind the viewer (a bit to the left).
Good observation. I agree, the bright spots really seem to appear at rather random positions (considering the lighting). The problem is that the lighting is from a totally different hdr than the reflections. --> probably #2 lighting mistake right after using lensflares :)

Bredro1> will you be doing a 3dMax tutorial set as well.........pretty please
I don't know yet Bredo1. Currently I have neither the software nor the time to do that.

Racavocals> Personally, from my experience with my mother and her antique shop, not necessarily with shaders or mat., if the material is supposed to be a glazed piece of pottery sculpture then a big props because thats the best recreation of a glaze look I've ever seen in CG, now if it's supposed to be a polished stone of any kind then I agree with most alot the other posters that the reflectiveness just looks a little too much, either way good work on a model for a tutorial.
Thanks! Originally it was supposed to be bronze, but after I tried many times (in vain) to set up a shader for that, something similar to this came up and because I kinda liked it, I changed my aim a little bit towards a more "treated" stone like look. I didn't aim for a glaze or polished stone look though, it's just what mental ray came up with after some tries.

francesca> it's scandalous that you post an image like the above... with a model like that one.... hope you have not included the reflections also in the tuts....
Hehe, no. in the tutorial I don't use reflections at all. Actually the rendering part is only 1% of the total session time, it's very basic. The main focus of the tutorial is definetly on the set-up and the modeling.

francesca> it's Where ?!!
http://www.xsibase.com/forum/index.php?board=12;action=display;threadid=10307. It looks very promising after some 1st tests... Gonna check it out more soon.

Cheers,
Ray

SideShow
03-13-2004, 09:26 PM
Very very impressive !

ps: will that tutorial become available for max too? :D

unwrap
03-13-2004, 11:52 PM
It's great :thumbsup: ! But doesn't it look too shiny? I'd say it looks wet. :shrug:

Devilsnok
03-14-2004, 02:51 AM
Good model..

Iysun
03-15-2004, 04:54 AM
Im just watching the tutorial now and its awsome so far, I love the idea of using 3/4 view, i guess pretty much any decent view would work, its an awsome aproach, thanks alot for making this:thumbsup:

great model too

ray
03-16-2004, 11:17 AM
SideShow> ps: will that tutorial become available for max too?
I'm not sure yet

AnotherHell> Im just watching the tutorial now and its awsome so far, I love the idea of using 3/4 view, i guess pretty much any decent view would work, its an awsome aproach, thanks alot for making this
great model too
Thanks AnotherHell for the feedback!! I just watched your Shoe timelapse, really cool, too.

You're right, it would work with any view not just 3/4, the more "frontal" the picture becomes, the more difficult it will become to extract the 3D information though.

Thanks everyone again.

Ray

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.