PDA

View Full Version : Please tell me I can resize my complex rig

Andrei2k
03-12-2004, 06:03 AM
I read about all I could thats available about automating the process to recreate rigs based on locators, fitting characters, etc... However I have a pretty advanced rig that is out of my league as far and turning into automated MEL and was wondering how I can resize the whole thing by refitting limbs as opposed to resizing the whole thing with the locator trick.

Anyone know how I can fit the limbs and torso to the proportions of a character without messing up rig functionality, hierarchy, scripts, etc? Is there a procedure or order of operations? does freezing joint orientation and other transformations have something to do with it? clueless :shrug:

Thanks in advance.

strarup
03-13-2004, 11:39 AM
Hi Andrei2k,

eh... since I'm not sure how your rig has been made ect... I don't know if this will work... but this is usually what I do...

I make a MasterControl object... e.g. a circle on the ground with it's center in the middle between the feet of the character... and then I parent all the controls, joint's ect. under that MasterControl circle, so whenever I move, scale the master control everything beneath it follows...

just remember to keep them things parented to the mastercontrol, since when they get unparented they usually go back to their orignally state... :)

hope this helps... :)

regards

Strarup

AWAKE
03-13-2004, 02:36 PM
Andrei2k,

It may seem impossible and out of your league to do the mel based riggging, but it really isn't. I'm assuming that your rig is one that you built by hand. maybe using some scripts along the way.

If you made it, you can mel it. I didn' know mel, and I started writing my own auto rig based on the approach that Jason schleifer outlined here..

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26998&highlight=mel+Rigging

I did it. It's not the hottest system or anything, but it works, and I ended up rigging 3 dudes in a day on this one job. (weights took a little longer)

Bottom line. write it. IT's really not that bad.

Andrei2k
03-14-2004, 05:00 PM
I did make it and know how it works but Im not sure if using mel on the whole structure, scripts and controls is as easy as on other rigs.

The control object you speak of allows you to scale the entire skeleton right? I need to resize limbs and torso. I need to resize different limbs with different proportions.

Andrei

fattkid
03-17-2004, 05:12 PM
When I need to scale a rig, i select all of the main or uppermost (in hierarchy) control objects, such as the foot control, hand control, and root group, and then group them, using this new group for scaling.

strarup
03-17-2004, 10:50 PM
Hi Andrei2k,

just found this tutorial... maybe you can use it... Scaling a Character Rig
(http://enemy.mesmer.com/moebius/FMPro?-DB=article&-Format=free_tutorial_read.html&-Op=eq&ProductName=Scaling%20a%20Character%20Rig%20(Maya)&-SortField=LearningOrder&-SortOrder=ascend&-Max=1&-Skip=0&-Find)... :)

regards

Strarup

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.