PDA

View Full Version : Animation Student Needs HELP!!

moonlilly
03-12-2004, 12:56 AM
This is my first quater of animation, and our instructor has given us our last project for this term. We have to make a dragon creature and he says we start with a polygon cube. Do you of any methods to get this done and looking good, but not too difficult for a beginner? The picture is a concept sketch of Anubis, my creature im modeling. All help is much appreciated, i have 3 weeks to get this done. Also, is there a way to color and texture so it looks good? Were not learning UV for a while.

titaniumdave
03-12-2004, 03:28 AM
Do a search for box modeling tutorials. As for that character I'd use a cube for the body and head and cylinders for the legs. Try and build the general shape of everything then put them together. Then go in and add more detail.

Dave

moonlilly
03-12-2004, 05:56 AM
thanks for the advise. i started making the body out of a cube, but how do i round off the sides, becasue when i smooth to see how everything is going the sides of the body are really flat.

Andrei2k
03-12-2004, 07:09 AM
I would not worry aobut complete smoothness until the end. If you make the body and head fairly faceted then you can make that smooth by either doing a Polygons>Smooth command or what I sould personally do is go Modify>Convert>Polygons to subdivisions. A SubD is a hybrid between polygons and NURBS so you can work like a polygon but achieve smooth results and allows for a lot of flexibility. Look it up in Maya help and search for SubD modeling on the forums there are plenty of tutorials that use this approach.

I wouldnt just follow exactly what your instructor wants if you don't learn along the way and have a nice result in the end. I'm a maya instructor and solely believe in the discretion of the user once they understand how the tools work. My 2 cents.

Andrei

Rotary7
03-13-2004, 02:25 AM
The best advice i can give, is to start off by boxing out the rough proportions of the character. Once you have the general size and shape, then start adding detail. Don't get too caught up in getting too detailed in specific areas in the beginning. Add detail overall. It's much easier to model when you have less verts to move.

CGA@UIW
03-19-2004, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by Andrei2k

I wouldnt just follow exactly what your instructor wants if you don't learn along the way and have a nice result in the end. I'm a maya instructor and solely believe in the discretion of the user once they understand how the tools work. My 2 cents.

Andrei

Agreed. It seems like a strange assignment to have; you'll end up with a project similar to everyone else's in class. Pretty tough to make a stand-out demo reel that way.

Corn Dog
03-19-2004, 02:05 AM
I'm a horrid modeller, but I have had projects to do in the past so to "STAND OUT" I would suggest doing one or somthing like;

1. Use the drawing provided and model it exact. BUT THEN in a seperate file research other sources of the same character to ADD to what you where given. Like authentic Egyptian characteristics. Any client I have ever met in any job new less about what they wanted then I did. (ok a little over stated)

2. Perfect the main model to the best of your abilities and then add extra care to the background and details. Teacher like effort when ability runs out.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.