PDA

View Full Version : How's this PC-AMD Athlon XP 1900, 1024MB DDR RAM.....

souljah
01-26-2002, 08:45 PM
-Asus A7V266-E
-Athlon XP 1900
-1024MB DDR RAM
-60GB HD Set to RAID
-60GB HD set to RAID (So, one 120GB HD)
-Radeon 8500 64MB Vid card (Driver issues, should I go with a Geforce3 to be safe?)
-19" Monitor
-12X DVD ROM
-ThermalTake Dragon Orb1 cooling fan
-2x case cooling fans
-GenX ATX Deluxe MidTower 300W P.S.
-Cheapest sound card possible-lol
-Windows2K Pro And Linux (Or FreeBSD)

This is pretty cheap so far, so adding anything is fine.

CG related apps i'll be using:
-Maya (Free Personal Edition)
-Photoshop
-Illustrator
-Gmax

parallax
01-28-2002, 03:08 PM
i bet it cant beat my casio fx-82 :P
But seriously, that is a awesome system. Wouldn't the two harddrives act as a single 60 gb drive in raid though?
Also, i'd go with the geforce.
Ati are a bunch of wankers. There drivers suck.

Cyrus
01-28-2002, 05:30 PM
ATi Radeon hasn't got any good support for OpenGL either ;)

phatgroovn
01-31-2002, 06:00 PM
whatever you do, go for a dual monitor capable video card if possible!

MadMax
01-31-2002, 08:54 PM
Not bad, however I am going to question a couple of your choices......

First off, skip the ATI card. They suck at 3D work, and ATI's OpenGL drivers are the worst. I had tons of crashes on Lightwave until I dumped the ATI.

Orb's suck as coolers. I have seen far too many Athlon users complain about ORB's.

Try the new Alpha Heatsink, it is one of the top rated on the market.

Also, the KT266 chipset has PCI bus latency problems. WHile they have released a patch for it, reports are that it doesn't make all that good an improvement. You might be better off with an AMD 760 chipset board than a VIA. A lot of people I know refuse to buy a VIA based board anymore because of all the problems.

A 300w power supply is a little weak for this setup. Athlons do suck a bit of power, you should get at least a 400w for this otherwise you are likely to have problems.

wow. I sound pretty negative there, sorry. But I would hate to see you have problems later.......

Some suggstions woudl be:

Epox 8K7A+ motherboard. it has Raid onboard. it is fast, extremely stable and very tweaker friendly. One of the best in fact.

An Antec 400w ps. with this board definitely NOT an Enermax ps.

Alpha Pal 8045 heatsink with 80mm fan.

a good source of info for this is at amdmb.com

good luck!

souljah
02-07-2002, 05:34 PM
Ok, Thanks..

I'm going to switch to a Geforce3 Ti500, switch the cooling fan, power supply, and maybe the mobo.

Zafoo
02-08-2002, 04:19 AM
Originally posted by parallax
i bet it cant beat my casio fx-82 :P
But seriously, that is a awesome system. Wouldn't the two harddrives act as a single 60 gb drive in raid though?
Also, i'd go with the geforce.
Ati are a bunch of wankers. There drivers suck.

RAIDs can be of type 1, 0 or 1/0

I'm probably going to screw up which on is which , but it's like this.

Type 0 is what's called striping. This makes them run as one drive. So 2 60gb's would act as one faster 120gb.

Type 1 is where both drives are written to simultaneously but have the same data on both. This way if one drive goes bad, the otherone still has the data.

Type 1/0 is both of these, but it requires 4 drives. 2 drives to be working as type 0, and 2 drives working as type 1 backing up the type 0 drives.

Zafoo
02-08-2002, 04:22 AM
Originally posted by MadMax
Also, the KT266 chipset has PCI bus latency problems. WHile they have released a patch for it, reports are that it doesn't make all that good an improvement. You might be better off with an AMD 760 chipset board than a VIA. A lot of people I know refuse to buy a VIA based board anymore because of all the problems.

I currently own 2 Shuttle AK31 boards. One rev 2 and one rev 3.1. I can see why the KT266 chipset isn't the greatest. I've had some issues with the PCI bus, but the KT266A chipset in my rev 3.1 board has no issues. But these boards aren't as expensive as the AMD boards, and don't have as many features (i.e. RAID) Picking a MB is tough.

souljah
02-08-2002, 05:57 AM
Ok, well..I was going to assemble this myself and buy the parts from different stores (off of pricewatch.com). I'm not so sure though now, I want to make sure everything works and is compatible.

Do you guys know any pre-built systems that are under $2000, and around these specs? I can add RAM, the HD's, and maybe upgrade the monitor if those specs aren't too good.

Thanks

souljah
02-08-2002, 06:06 AM
I'll be using XSI, Maya, LW, or Max (And probably Gmax)...so there could be some driver issues with some cards..

If you know any deals, post them.
Thanks

MadMax
02-08-2002, 06:13 AM
Originally posted by souljah
Do you guys know any pre-built systems that are under $2000, and around these specs? I can add RAM, the HD's, and maybe upgrade the monitor if those specs aren't too good.

Thanks

At that price you could go dual......

There are a bunch of harcore builders over at www.amdcoop.com go the forums , sign up and ask away.

souljah
02-08-2002, 06:20 AM
Thanks for the link :)

Joel Hooks
02-12-2002, 07:46 PM
I built 2 very similar systems this week. One with the SOYO Dragon+ and the other with a Soltek 266a.

Smokin.

I am using the ThermalTake Volcano7 as a heatsink, with no issues.

souljah
02-13-2002, 04:53 AM
I'm going with duals now:

-Dual Athlon MP 1800's;
-1024MB RAM;
-40GB HD (I'll add more later; Hd's will just be cheaper for more space);
-52X CD-ROM;
-CD-Burner (Haven't decided which);
-Geforce 4 Ti4600 (I'm waiting 5 months to buy this anyway, so by then they'll be reasonable);
-19" Monitor;
-Win2k PRO

Maybe i'll add a DVD-ROM, possibly more RAM, and more HD spac...

I dont know, that's just the basics.

This will be well under $2000; I'm buidling it myself. :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 12:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.