PDA

View Full Version : Shave and Haircut Rendering Problems

gu3
03-11-2004, 09:27 AM
My college just got the Shave and a Haircut 2.0 plugin for Maya 5, mostly due to my bugging them to get it. I have just done a few render tests and found that the render time extra time as if it was rendering the hair, but when the renders finish there is no hair visible whatsoever. I had recently tried a demo version of the plugin on my own pc and had no problems getting it to render. Are there any settings that I am over looking that are causeing the hair not to render or appear in the render?
thanks for any tips

MunCHeR
03-11-2004, 05:52 PM
Are you rendering with mental ray?

Emmortal1
03-11-2004, 07:23 PM
Shave and Haircut supports mental ray, but you have to have the mental ray plugin installed in order for you to use it. I haven't had any issues rendering with maya renderer or mental ray, so not really sure what the problem is.

AniMo
03-12-2004, 02:46 PM
just use a non cracked version :P

romeu
03-15-2004, 02:46 PM
what setings are u using?

gu3
03-15-2004, 09:23 PM
Hey guys. I have found that the problem is the file that the model I am applying the hair to. When I start up maya on the schools computer and apply the hair to a sphere, it shows up with out any problem. However, my model can have hair applied to it and even though it says in the output window that the hair is being rendered it just doesnt show up. Why this is I dont know. As I said before, I had previously tried the demo and it worked great on my model...Any ideas as to why it wont show up? I modeled my character with the CPS tools, so maybe this is causing a problem, eh? I applied the hair to both the base and the proxy just to be sure, and both dont show up in the render. I am using maya 5, so maybe it is just a bug.

Do the UVs of the surface the hair is being applied to have to be in the +1 +1 UV grid like they do with maya fur? Maybe this is the problem.

I am using the default settings of Shave, and the default setting of Maya's render for now...I will try exporting my model and importing it back into a "fresh" scene where the hair actually show up to see if that solves the problem.

Thanks for any help or advice!

meshman
03-16-2004, 08:26 AM
I havent tried shave but it sounds like an UV prolem to me, Fur i maya is like that

gu3
03-16-2004, 10:59 PM
yeah, that is just a guess, though. and is probably wrong...with Shave you can just pick individual polys and assign them a different Hair node, regardless of where it is on the UV grid, as opposed to it being applied to the entire surface like with Maya fur. Actually, you dont even need to uv map the poly that has hair applied to it. If I posted the messages in the output window does anyone think they would get some idea of what is going wrong? I have looked them over and cant really see what is different from the output of scenes where the hair can render and scenes where it doesnt show up...

Unfortunatly I dont much time to tinker around with it, so If I dont get any solution soon, there is gonna be another yet another bald CG character ...maybe with a stubbly bump and color map on his noggin...(sigh)

gu3
03-17-2004, 11:43 PM
bump! amy ideas anyone??

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.