Marnault
03-11-2004, 07:20 AM
Asus A7N8X Deluxe
AMD 2400+
768 MB PC2100 Ram
ATI AIW 9600 Pro
400 Watt powersupply
2 80G Maxtor Hard drives

I just bought an Asus A7N8X installed it all and hook it all up, and then go plug it in and all, and push the power button and it turns on, but only for about 10-15 seconds it changes everytime, nothing is sent to the moniter, but the keyboard lights light up and the fans turn on and such. And there are no warning beeps or anything.

So i check everthing to makesure its seated right, still the same, check all the connnections, all good, but still the same. So I try reseating the processer, ram, and video card. But still no luck.

I double checked the jumpers and such not and all are fine and in the defult settings.

I also tried starting with only the processer, ram, and video card attached, but still the same. So i tried with out the ram as it should still post, but no luck =/

So I switch everything back over to my old motherboard to make sure i didn't damage any components or anything and It works perfect.

So is it a bad mobo, or did i just mess up or something?

Valkyrien
03-11-2004, 08:37 AM
Sounds like a bad mobo to me, from first impression. you have, of course, tried completely resetting the BIOS, by removing the battery...right?:)

nervouselk
03-11-2004, 10:31 AM
did you connect all power cables to the motherboard? there is usually one in addition to the thick chunky cable that needs connecting.

GregHess
03-11-2004, 01:18 PM
nervous,

Thats usually for Pentium IV boards...this is an Athlon XP board.

Marnault,

First breathe :). Walk away from the machine and come back later. Usually when you start with post errors, you get really frustrated after a good hour with the problem.

When you come back, stick with ONLY a single memory dimm. I noticed you put down 768....start with only a single dimm in BAnk 0/1.

Make sure its firmly seated.

Remove the bios battery for a minute, then put it back in. Verify the CMOS JUMPER is on NORMAL and NOT RESET.

The motherboard manual will tell you where this jumper is. Its quite possible that it accidently got set to reset, in which case the system would act almost exactly as you described it.

Remember, 1 video card, 1 dimm, hsf/fan/cpu. Thats it. No drives or anything else until you get it to post.

After it posts, hook up a floppy drive and run memtest86, its the best time to do it since the least # of variables are present. (2-3 passes, and run it EVEN if the ram is BRAND NEW)

Make sure before doing so that you set the processor speed correctly in the bios. (It defaults to a compatible speed).

http://www.memtest86.com

Marnault
03-11-2004, 08:17 PM
Okay its now posting, I needed to reset the BIOS, I did do this before but I guess I didn't leave the battery out long enough :shrug:. I figured I would do everything agian, just in case and that solved the problem.

So now it posts, but windows wont load. It kinda starts to but then the computer restarts. Then I get the option to go into safe mode and such, tried all the options and still no luck. I tried reinstalling windows with my restore cds (my pc never came with the real windows cds). And still the same thing :(

So basicly what do I do now?

Garma
03-11-2004, 08:58 PM
Alright, *always* reinstall windows after installing a new mobo. It's probably in your user manual too. If windows even starts, it's probably very unstable, or you will get into long-term trouble.

It's definately the first I'd try.

GregHess
03-12-2004, 10:59 AM
I concur with Garma.

Though its possible to "setup" a windows installation for porting to a new system, its almost always best to start with a clean slate. (Wipe the drive, repartion, reformat, reinstall).

Then after you've installed all the drivers, updates, patches, applications, and regcleaned, ad-awared, cleaned out the temps, and defraged...use a ghosting app like norton ghost to clone to a DVD, external drive, or some media so you easily restore a functional system if anything bad happens.

If you ever want to prep a system for transfer...

Remove all installed drivers. (Don't reboot while doing this).
Remove all devices in Device Manager. (Don't reboot yet).

Verify all devices have been removed, and all driver related programs have been eliminated. Make sure any programs related with the devices in the system are removed as well.

When its all done, run a regcleaner, and shut down the system.

Now the drive is "semi-ready" for porting to a new system. Sometimes this will allow it to port over pretty flawlessly, while othertimes it'll still require a reinstall. I still heavily recommend starting from a clean slate, especially on a new computer.

You can pick up Windows 2000/XP cd's from college university's if your a student, or a family member/friend is a student at a university. Otherwise order an OEM CD through newegg, or wait for a decent deal.

The restore disks are for a specific configuration...you'll need an actual OS cd.

Marnault
03-13-2004, 06:40 AM
Wow it works now :D, thankyou for all your help. Heres some pics of my machine. Its more of a gaming machine but I do graphics on the side for my clans web site, and personal enjoyment (mostly photoshop, but also a little Maya)

http://www.nutp-clan.com/images/1.jpg
http://www.nutp-clan.com/images/2.jpg
http://www.nutp-clan.com/images/3.jpg

AMD 2400+ (running like a 2800+ :)
768 MB Ram
Asus A7N8X-X Mobo
ATI All in wonder 9600 Pro (450/700)
2x 80 GB Hard Drives
Soundblaster Live 5.1
400W Powersupply

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.