PDA

View Full Version : Arm without pole vector constraint

titaniumdave
03-11-2004, 12:00 AM
I've been doing this tutorial at http://www.dmc3d.com/tutorials.html today. I did the arm tutorial like it says but when I would pull the arm control back the elbow would go up and when I would move it forward the arm would twist. I was trying to figure out what was going on and I ended up making the arm without pole vector. So all it has is a circle thats point constraint to the arm control and the shoulder. Its also has a aim constraint with the shoulder. With this setup I can move forward and back without the twist. Does anyone else rig arms without something with a pole vector constraint?

Dave

nottoshabi
03-11-2004, 12:36 AM
I always put a pole vector on the ik arms. Cause you might need it and you never want to be rerigging a charcter in the middle of an animation. Plus the animators ask for it, so I have to.

macaroniKazoo
03-11-2004, 02:15 AM
yeah, not having a pole contsraint is weird... i don't think i've ever seen it done. the pole controls are super useful and intuitive.

the trick is parenting it to the right part of the rig though. i often have dynamic parenting on my pole controls, but mainly, it just stays parented to the chest, or root control.

titaniumdave
03-11-2004, 03:38 AM
Well I started playing with it again tonight. Apparently I deleted the pole vector control and the pole vector was still working or something I haven't really figured out what was going on. I tried a few different things. One thing I found that I like is to point constraint the pole vector control to the arm control box but the problem is you can't control the pole vector with the pole vector control directly. I had to create a attribute on the arm control for that. Is this a acceptable way to rig the arm?

Dave

macaroniKazoo
03-11-2004, 03:54 AM
point constraining the pole vector object to the arm control sounds like a bad idea... but if you want to do that, and still want to be able to animate the pole vector, then group the pole vector object to itself, pointConstrain the group to the arm, and then you'll have the point constraint, as well as the freedom to animate on top of that.

but yeah, it sounds like a bad idea to me. why cant' you just parent it to the chest?

BTW making an attribute on teh arm to control the pole vector is perfectly acceptable. But some animators don't like it. I personally don't like it, but I know animators who prefer having sliders to control a lot of stuff.

if you're looking to get a job doing rigging, then there are ways to get the best of both worlds tho - slider and object control. I'm a big believer in building as much flexibility into a rig as I can. :)

titaniumdave
03-11-2004, 02:22 PM
Well actually I want to be a animator. :) I'm just trying to create a fairly basic rig to experiment with. I used to just group the pole vector to itself and then parent the group to the upper body group and that works pretty well.

Dave

nottoshabi
03-11-2004, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by titaniumdave
Well actually I want to be a animator. :) I'm just trying to create a fairly basic rig to experiment with.
Dave

If thats the deal then I sugest finding an already rigged charcter on the net. Like : Ik Joe, or final rig, or this character I forgot the whole name it starts with something like Zoo, zoo something. That one has facial and everything, already to go its really nice. I was playing with it earlier.

I'm not seying this to discourage you from rigging or anything like that. Is just if you want to animation then just do animation. Dont model or rig or texture.

titaniumdave
03-11-2004, 06:57 PM
Shouldn't I learn some basic rigging? I'm alittle paranoid that if I only learn animating someday I might get stuck in a situation where I need to make a rig. I guess that probably wouldn't happen atleast I hope not.

Dave

clear
03-11-2004, 07:16 PM
Most places would only want you for one thing. You could learn it on your own if you would like. But I say start with animation first it takes longer to perfect, and its a lot more fun.

:bounce:

macaroniKazoo
03-11-2004, 10:23 PM
yeah i agree. if u can, concentrate on the animation. WAY more fun. ;)

if you ever desperately need to rig something, chances are, you'll be able to get away with a dodgy rig. but usually a good rig only saves you a bit of tedious animation work. a dodgy rig only slows you down really. couple of ik handles on the legs, and you'll be able to animate just about anything given the time. :)

titaniumdave
03-11-2004, 10:41 PM
Point taken. :) Time to go make a walk cycle.

Dave

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.