PDA

View Full Version : mental ray problems

katon
03-10-2004, 04:44 AM
Hey guys,

I have two problems i need some help with.
1. I am trying to render a spin of my car out and it is all good but about 30 frames in it always stops, i dont undertsand, i always have to restart it as well and then 30 frames later it is done. Each frame takes abtou 10 minutes to render and i was not sure if it just gets over loaded after a while and quits on me. Any ideas.

2. I went to do my usual restart to do another 30 frames, and mental ray was gone, it does not load up now. I check and the mental ray folder and stuff is there, i am not sure why this happend at all. I am using maya 5 if that matters. Amyways I hope you guys can give me some insight on these issues. Thanks alot.

Katon

Emmortal1
03-10-2004, 05:01 AM
1) Check the render log to see what is going on, it should give you an error or something at least. You can also go into the MR Render Globals, Translation and change Export Verbosity to Progress Messages. This will output the render progress to the output window and will allow you to diagnose issues more readily. I do this with every scene. Secondly, change the Physical Memory limit to 80% of your total system RAM. You can also try rendering from the command line and see if that helps with your memory consumption as more than likely there is a memory issue going on here.

2) Go into Window->Settings/Preferences->Plugin Manager and load the mayatomr plugin and that should get it back.

katon
03-10-2004, 05:12 AM
hey Emmortal1,

thaks for the tips. I am assuming it is a memory issue as well, because i dont have alot on the machine i am rendering on. I usualy have to go into maya and start a bacth render and the close maya, so it frees up some of the memory, so i loose the render log.

Also loading that plugin worked, i was sure it was one of those but i was not sure which one. SO thanks for that help. Anyways I will try and check the log or something, but like you said most likely it is the memory. If you have any other ideas please let me know.

one last thing where do i set the physical memery to 80 percent. Thanks

Katon

Emmortal1
03-10-2004, 05:25 AM
Memory and Performance -> Memory Limits. Multiply your system ram by .8 and enter the result in this field. 1024mbs of ram (1gb) comes out to roughly 800 just to give you an idea of what it should be.

There are some other things you can do like changing the BSP settings but you need to find out what is stopping it first before fiddling with that stuff.

katon
03-10-2004, 05:27 AM
awesoome thanks alot. I will have to change the memory settings and try that out. Also i will try and figure out the problem and if i do i will post and maybe you could help me otu further. Thanks alot.

Katon

katon
03-10-2004, 05:29 AM
I was just looking at the memroy limits thing. Does the setting -1 mean use what ever is neccesary type of thing. Just curios.

Katon

Emmortal1
03-10-2004, 05:39 AM
-1 will use all available memory, this isn't usually a good thing because mr will consume more memory than what you actually have at times and you'll end up swapping out data with your swap file on your hard drive incurring a big performance hit. Setting a hard limit will cause it to flush the unused cache in memory thus allowing for a better management of your system RAM and smoother performance.

katon
03-10-2004, 05:42 AM
I see, that would make perfect since, why my computer looses all life when mental ray renders. So i went downstairs to change the memry to what you where syaing. well I noticed that windows also was saying my physical memory is to low, so maybe because metal ray was sucking all the life out of my ram, then windows was relying on other sources and had to end up closing mental ray. Well anyways hopefully putting a limit on mental ray will help it out. We will see. thanks for the help. peace

Katon

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.