PDA

View Full Version : adding joints to already bind skeleton

mattlajoie
03-10-2004, 01:07 AM
i was wondering..

i have a model, that already has a skeleton and is fully moveable, but i need to add more joints and bind them with the model... how do i do this? do i have to detach the skin from the skeleton then re bind it? or is parenting the skeleton to the skin better?

i am new to maya so any help would be greatly appreciated!! thanks guys!:hmm:

sedric
03-10-2004, 01:33 AM
if i need more joints to be bound , usually just add them as influence objects. there are also several scripts on highend3D that will do what you want also

hope that helps,

ACFred
03-10-2004, 02:59 AM
Sedric is right. You need to add them as influence objects. Make sure you deselect the "Use Geometry" flag if you're just adding joints. Also, select the "Lock Weights" flag. This will bring your joint into the skinCluster without messing up any of your existing weights. Then, when you go in to paint weights, you can unlock the new joint and weight it as you wish.

Let us know if you need any other pointers.

mattlajoie
03-11-2004, 01:34 AM
okay, i tried,

i have the skeleton thats already made, and tried to add more joints to it, and made the FK Handles, and went to add influence object and it would only work if i didnt attach the joints to the already exisint skeleton, so i have to make the joints just float inside the model (body) not connected to the skeleton, but when i move the skeleton the joints just stay in place and dont move and mess it up,

any idea what i am doing wrong?

what is the highend3d thing you are talking about? is that a whole seperate section of maya?

thanks for the help so far guys!! much appreciated:thumbsup:

fortner
03-11-2004, 03:51 AM
add_joint_to_skin.mel

look that up on highend. I use this script constantly.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.