PDA

View Full Version : So I was reading through the mr docs and found this gem

Emmortal1
03-10-2004, 01:12 AM
"bsp depth depthint

The maximum number of levels in the BSP tree. This statement is used only if binary space partitioning is enabled. Larger tree depths reduce rendering time but increase memory consumption, and also slightly increase preprocessing time. The default is 40. If there are too many triangles in the scene to fit into the BSP tree with the size specified by bsp size and bsp depth, the bsp size value is disregarded and larger leaves are created. This slows down rendering significantly. Larger bsp depth values of 50 or even higher often massively improve rendering speed in BSP mode for larger scenes. The book ``Rendering with mental ray'' [Driemeyer 01] discusses how to choose good parameters in detail"

I found it quite humerous that the documentation would refer to a 3rd party book for BETTER explanation. I couldn't stop laughing after I read that. Funny stuff. It's under section 2.7.1.6 Rendering Algorithms if you wanna check it out.

brunner
03-10-2004, 12:39 PM
well, "rendering.." is not exactly 3rd party, being written by thomas driemeyer. He works at mentalimages, and he's probably the technical director there, or something like that.
It's just published by a 3rd party publisher

Emmortal1
03-10-2004, 07:13 PM
Ya I know he works there, but for the help docs to reference a book that you have to go out and buy in order to understand the settings better, was just humerous to me. I have the book already and it does indeed explain in more detail. Just found it humerous. Guess my sense of humor is a bit off heh.

beaker
03-11-2004, 12:23 AM
They used to give people this book with the beta of MR for maya back before Alias took over some of the development(maya 1.0-4.0 days). The softimage books also used to refer to this book alot too(soft3d).

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.