PDA

View Full Version : Facial Animation Setup

nelsonteixeira
03-09-2004, 12:00 PM
I want to Setup a one-piece body geometry for facial animation, but I didnīt want to duplicate several times the whole thing to make blendShapes. Iīve tried using only the polygons of the face and wrap deformer, but Iīve found this to be too slow. Is this the best solution of is there any other?? What do you guys recommend???

liquidik
03-09-2004, 03:41 PM
Well, if possible I try to separate the head from the body.
Just for the blend shapes I've found the Wrap deformer to work rather well, otherwise i tend to use joints on the whole face (you can find a tutorial on www.cane-toad.com ).
What I'd love to have is a function similar to endomorphs in lightwave. This is a morph target based on the modification done to a point of the base mesh. The great thing is that it's integrated in the object, and if I change the base mesh (adding geometry or just by moving points), all the morph targets still works.

Matt Leishman
03-09-2004, 04:36 PM
i like to duplicate the character, and then delete all the faces that aren't involved with the head. then i use that new head and create blendshapes for it, and use it as a wrap deformer on the original character. But after i wrap deform it, i make sure to use the Edit membership tool to make sure that the newly created morphing head is only affecting the verts on the head of the original character. I've never had a problem with this approach, and its never been very slow for me (and my machine is 3 1/2 years old, so its already inherently slow).

good luck.

Gnimmel
03-09-2004, 08:08 PM
One simple way would be to cut your head off and then combine it back together again, making sure to select the head first, then the body. Why? Well, when you do this the vertex numbers are re-ordered so that the head contains the first vertex's from vertex 0 to the number in the head. Now you can make blendshapes for just the head because they work on vertex number and you know the head starts at vertex 0 and gose to the number of vertex's in your head. When you make the blendshape node, make sure you turn off `Check Topology` so Maya will not check to see if the targets have the correct number of vertex.

Hope this helps,

Richard

ijinn
03-15-2004, 05:27 PM
tagging this thread, so i can try it @ home. :)

Iotrez
03-30-2004, 03:27 PM
Cool method Gnimmel. That solves the problem I was having.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.