PDA

View Full Version : Shadow flicker question

Mouser
03-08-2004, 05:58 PM
I know this has been answered a million times before, but I noticed it again while watching the Worlds of Warcraft behind the scenes video from Blizzard. During the textured Orc turnaround, there is a flickering of the shadows near his neck (actually everywhere, but most apparent there). I am pretty sure I'm clear on the concept of the d-map resolution needing to be high enough to not alias, but the flickering of the map is still there when I up the rez. I've made my maps 2048 etc. I've bumped the filter size up to 3, and turned off d-map autofocus. it seems like when I get that flickering, nothing I do can completely remove it. Is there some critical step that I'm missing or something with the scale of my scenes? any insight or pointers/links to advice on this would really help me out.

Thanks

~G

Dirtystimpy
03-10-2004, 05:12 AM
haven't seen the video your talking about, but

another way to try to stop DMap shadows from flickering, grab the ground geometry (or whatever is flickering) and go to the Attribute editor>
render stats> turn off casts shadows, should stop the flicker for dmaps.

Mouser
03-10-2004, 05:42 AM
Thanks Dirtystimpy,

I hadn't really thought about the ground casting a shadow being a potential problem... I've futzed with everything else, but have never thought about the floor casting an unnecessary shadow... I'll give that a shot

~G

danylyon
03-10-2004, 10:40 AM
From the help files:
Try turning off Use Dmap Auto Focus and determine the constant angle of focus for the light that works throughout the entire animation.

also use spot lights with a cone angle as small as possible (Use "look through selected", to see it best)

If the flickering appears at non shadow borders.. you might have to increase the dmap bias.

Also Dirtystimpys tip is a good one.

cheers

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.