PDA

View Full Version : Character: Mr Sideburns (Realistic hires character design)

Olmirad
03-07-2004, 09:05 PM
Hi all!
Here's something i've wasted 4 nights last week and this weekend...
I made this character in max, using one of my old meshes as a starting point, but i ended up re-building body and most of face. I also made uv coordinates and texture mapped body + head. Photoshop was used to paint + edit texture. All shadows and lighting irregularties were removed and highlights were extracted to be used as glossiness map. I also painted bump map for skin.

Eye reflection is just an isolated reflection for the eye (a luminous box-like shape) to save render time as skin reflection is just specular.

I'll post more renders later! Constructive C+C welcome!

http://www.cgmill.com/olmirad/v2_head_upcorner_sml.jpg

http://www.cgmill.com/olmirad/v2_head_front_sml.jpg

Shaykai
03-07-2004, 10:07 PM
Wow, thats an excellent head :) The hair also looks very good.I'm looking at it for critiques, but i can't find any. Good job ! :)

kevinw
03-07-2004, 10:23 PM
:bowdown:

aMb!
03-07-2004, 10:31 PM
wow, very realistic. :eek: Although I think the hair is lacking compared to the rest of the model. :shrug:

But, the face textures are :buttrock:

mikepolizos
03-07-2004, 10:33 PM
You have some really good shaders here man!

Hair was made in photoshop???

Can we see some wires?

Well done dude!
:thumbsup:

ASerr
03-07-2004, 10:39 PM
The clumping in the hair is pretty obvious. You may want to try less clumping and more guide hairs (in shag you can make some hairs atract others, for clump like effects). Otherwise, it looks fantastic, and I think you did an especial good job on the eyebrows

-ASerr

cgg
03-07-2004, 11:14 PM
great work on the textures :wip:

mfalcon
03-08-2004, 05:02 AM
its really really nice, great textured for the skin, love the stubble. hair looks lil fake, maybe cos of the wax, egg white dreads kinda effect im seein(not particularly partial to that, haha) if thats what u goin for its cool. howd u do the stubble? cubes, hair or ps? and only other comment be eyes lookin lil dead ah....else its all nice

xcvbnm
03-08-2004, 06:06 AM
Absolutely cool work.
Except the hair, they look like fur on goat....
:applause: :thumbsup:

Olmirad
03-08-2004, 04:08 PM
mikepol |3D|: Hair is 3D... There's no post processing. Everything is straight out from max. I just ran unsharp mask when i scaled image down to this posted size, as originals were 1200x1600 :)

aMb!: any suggestions how to improve?

Psan: Well sorry if it doesn't please you, but my goal was to make it look like it's clumped. It's not like i didn't notice it's that way! Bit subjective matter, imo... But for this character design, that's what chose to create. There are issues in hair texture / shading i don't like / could be improved a lot, but that clumping is something i'm not going to change :).

Tuga_3D
03-08-2004, 04:32 PM
:scream: Damm!
:applause: Olmirad !
You should really complete the body.

Crtics_?
- About the eye!, irregular opening! On purpose?
- Textures on nostrails!?

See you!:wavey:

xcvbnm
03-08-2004, 04:33 PM
Hey Olmirad,
Ofcourse its in my opinion....subjective.
Theres nothing wrong with the hair if you did it intensionally. Not that people dont have such hair, I have seen guys with such hair, the punks/rock stars and all.... even more wiered ones too, in real life.
In case you wanted to create such effects, you are 100% successful...
:thumbsup: :beer:

Olmirad
03-08-2004, 04:52 PM
Tuga_3D: No, nostrils are flat skin color, it's raytraced shadow.. IMHO it's quite convincing, as i had a lot of problems trying to create this same effect earlier with Lightwave - Lots of fill light but mouth and nostrils should remain dark. There's no baked shadows elsewhere, either.

mikepol |3D: Forgot to post that wire...

http://www.cgmill.com/olmirad/v2_wires_head.jpg:

Antehr16
03-08-2004, 04:58 PM
:bounce: :applause: :thumbsup: :bowdown: NICE

TheGreenGiant
03-08-2004, 05:28 PM
wow. Your texture work is stellar as is the model. What's the hair made of? One of the best looking human renders/image tests that I've seen here.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.