PDA

View Full Version : vehicle: Porsche 911 GT2 (993)

Chester
03-07-2004, 11:52 AM
Hi there,

here is my latest work (and my first posting at cgtalk - again: hi @ all)
3D work was done in Cinema 4D 8.2 XL
I hope u like it.

best regards
Dennis (Chester)

http://www.deraufzug.de/gt2/gt2_final.jpg

-trAp-
03-07-2004, 05:19 PM
Hi there :)

Well done. Nice modeling and and lighting. :thumbsup:
The car looks like it belongs to the background, i really like it :thumbsup:

-trAp-

nicolasambrosio
03-07-2004, 05:22 PM
really nice pic you ve got here :applause:

viper11885
03-07-2004, 07:53 PM
That looks awesome.

I would say that it does look a bit too clean to be on track, but that's very minor and I guess it depends on how you want to represent the car on the track. Nothing major.

Everything on there is beautiful!

Breyne
03-07-2004, 08:06 PM
One of the first car-pics I see that actually looks real. Awesome work.
5 stars that is from me.

Darkware
03-07-2004, 08:08 PM
Very cool dude. You did a nice job with this piece. And welcome to CGtalk.com! Hope you're here to stay.

This is the first time I've ever seen a car with only one windshield wiper though. lol. Quite interesting I must say.

Keep up the good work.

Akiraghost
03-07-2004, 08:08 PM
Hello there,

I should start myself to do cars (i have C4D version 8.2 basic). Anyway, i find like someone said before a little to clean but hey that's me, The car really look to fit in the picture, well done. One more thing for me it since its moving i find the wheels mags should be more blured or something.

Love the color and the design of the Porche. Congrats.

ThirdEye
03-07-2004, 08:59 PM
Great C4D work, congrats :)
show us a wire too, thx

[plugged on the front page]

PhantomDesign
03-07-2004, 09:49 PM
The surfaces seem a little sloppy, but overall it looks good.

neu
03-07-2004, 09:56 PM
Really nice! Good work. The rendering is really realistic, it's really a opart of the background. Congratulations!

Greetings, Zoltan

DJB343
03-07-2004, 10:07 PM
awesome image without a doubt .... for some reason it reminds me of Gran Turismo 3 ... dont kno if im the only one :shrug:

Great Image

Neil
03-07-2004, 10:36 PM
That is a composite right?

Is the background normally blurred?

KINGOFPAIN
03-07-2004, 10:49 PM
nice job... perfect to me... the car is kick a$$:thumbsup:

Chester
03-07-2004, 10:50 PM
Thanx for all your comments and ... wow ... for plugging the image on the front page!

"for some reason it reminds me of Gran Turismo 3" - 'Project Gotham Racing 2' on X-Box was very useful for the modelling part - you can have a very close look at the car there ;)

here is the wire

greetings
Dennis

http://www.deraufzug.de/gt2/gt2_wire.jpg

nalhcal
03-07-2004, 11:00 PM
Looks nice. Are the headlights modelled or mapped?

Garma
03-07-2004, 11:06 PM
the integration in the background is beautiful, especially with such a reflective object.

btw thinking of switching to C4D, seems to improve chances on plugs ;)

Turbonium
03-07-2004, 11:29 PM
Nice photo. But where is the work you did on the computer?!>...

ohhhh....:)

Kel Solaar
03-07-2004, 11:50 PM
Great work! Rendering is very well done and composited (only dark shadows area under the car are too strong for me). the car is very well modelled and the picture is dynamic !

mufizal
03-07-2004, 11:55 PM
well i dont usually post well wishing stuff , but hey.. well done :):bounce:

kodinaarian
03-08-2004, 12:00 AM
like your work
like the composite

but looking closely, shouldnt the wheels
be blurred too ?

and also the angle of light, looking at the retaining wall
the side facing us is lighted
and in the car, its in shadow

just my 2 cents....
good work though
:)

RusMan
03-08-2004, 12:13 AM
Nice, very well done, can you post a wireframe, and could you explain more your render set-up (that is lighting, materials, reflections etc..)
Great job

zionlocke
03-08-2004, 12:17 AM
I tried to give you a critique, but it came out as very negative. I like your image, and I bet you spent a lot of work on it.

Note: I censored myself after realizing I made a really dumb post. Man, I better stop joking around!

Samples of my dumb post are below, and they are critiqued.

ThirdEye
03-08-2004, 12:21 AM
"1. The car's reflection is pure white which never happens even if the sky is winter in the upper midwest where I live. This reflection problem gives the car a toon shaded feel."

White? The reflections seem the typical reflections of an autumn/winter afternoon

"2. The wheels should be moving faster, and they are not blurred correctly."

Why faster? How do you know how fast the car is running? What if it's approaching a curve?

"3. The shadow is much too intense for a car on a track during a sunny day."

Looking at the shadows and at the colours it doesn't seem a sunny day at all. The shadows are soft and dark, again this seems an average autumn/winter day to me.

"4. The shadow need more of either a purple tinge or a dark blue tinge since those are the two colors most argue about being real shadows from the sun."

Same as above, the sky is probably cloudy and grey, certainly not blue, look at the photo too.

"5. The composition is very amateur. I mean that the image has no artistic quality because it feels that you only just threw a model onto a background."

I wish i could make such an amateur image :D

kodinaarian
03-08-2004, 12:47 AM
"2. The wheels should be moving faster, and they are not blurred correctly."

Why faster? How do you know how fast the car is running? What if it's approaching a curve?

well the car is runnig fast, look at the photo, isnt it blured ?? and that means it is fast. right ??

ThirdEye
03-08-2004, 12:48 AM
The car doesn't look blurred that much, the bg does :shrug:

DoLeeP
03-08-2004, 01:22 AM
looks awsom :thumbsup:

swampthing
03-08-2004, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by zionlocke
You need a critique and not a pat on the back.

5. The composition is very amateur. I mean that the image has no artistic quality because it feels that you only just threw a model onto a background.

You made a good image, but this is not a quality image. You could make something better, something that is much more interesting, fascinating and possesses a better wow factor.

Wow dude, whatever your smoking lay off it because it's ruined your vision. Seriously, you're flat out blind if you even remotely mean what you've posted. I'm 100% positive you don't work in the 3d or art industry because with "taste" like this you'd never get work.

Please take a look at the rest of the thread and notice how your comments are the only ones that are derogatory. This is a pretty good sign that you're wrong.

nerrazzi
03-08-2004, 01:47 AM
BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

One question, how long did it take to render this image? Also, did you use a HDR image?

The surfaces seem a little sloppy

Where?

SheepFactory
03-08-2004, 05:33 AM
Originally posted by zionlocke
You need a critique and not a pat on the back.

5. The composition is very amateur. I mean that the image has no artistic quality because it feels that you only just threw a model onto a background.

Those are my two cents for you and others for the next few months. I'll be back to critique others soon.

You need to learn the meaning of critique ,

hint: its not what you are giving.

hint 2: Learn to respect people and you'll get respected in return

Dirtystimpy
03-08-2004, 05:38 AM
sweet man, truly excellent work. Waiting to hear more of how you accomplished it.

>>as zionlocke's comments, I'm hoping he was messing around based off what I saw at his website.

Ian Jones
03-08-2004, 05:41 AM
First things first this is a really great image, good job! Modelling, Lighting and everything looks really well executed.

I am amazed at the negative feedback. People need to chill out. If they are going to make bold comments about someones work then they should back up their comments with something constructive.

PhantomDesign : Why don't you elaborate. Don't just tell someone their "surfaces are sloppy", explain what you meant and give some examples. I've seen you make a similar statement before. What on earth you actually mean by it is a mystery, please elaborate.

Stillwell
03-08-2004, 05:57 AM
That's just a plain great model! I think the compositing is fine, everything's balanced. Nothing to crit, really. The lighting is perfect from what I see.

But tell me, how did you dispose the lights in the scene, how many of them, what software was used and what renderer did you use?

<<<<< zion, I wouldn't throw rocks if I was made of glass. I've just taken a look at your 3d gallery.

nerrazzi
03-08-2004, 06:07 AM
zion, I wouldn't throw rocks if I was made of glass. I've just taken a look at your 3d gallery. :scream::scream: :scream:
haters...

OperaFan1981
03-08-2004, 06:51 AM
I don't really have anything to add further other than to join with the previous commentors and to show great approval of your image. There is one minor element that I would like to your attenion. In your final image, the wiper's position is awkward, was this your intention? I am thinking the wiper should be flat in its place.

I hope in the future reviewers will be more mannered, civilized, and polite when offering feedback.

Chester
03-08-2004, 07:13 AM
hi there,

wow, so many comments! Thank you - and thank you for the critique, too! That's the reason I am posting my images - to get critique and to improve my work.

Some words to the making of:

I used a 3-Point Lightening and a HDRI Map (www.sachform.de) to light up the scene.
Different parts of the background were used to simulate the reflections on the car and for additional (fill-) lightening.

The 'original' background image showed an other race-car, yet. I erased the car in Photoshop to use it as my background for the scene.

I posted the wire already (it appeared on the first side). The headlights are modelled, too - no mapping there (@ nalhcal)

SLA-Shaders were used for texturing the car.

best regards
Dennis

by the way:
Sorry for my late answers. These are my very first postings here and it takes some time untill they are shown (they are checked by the admins first).
And sorry for my English - I hope it's possible to understand

sizzlebits
03-08-2004, 07:15 AM
wow. I don't usually post to car renders because there are so many. One tends to get jaded, but this is excellent.

Protoplasma
03-08-2004, 08:17 AM
wow what a nice job ! modeling rendering and composition looks very fine to me. my only lil crit is that the black area on the frontwindow leftendside looks bit odd. i guess it comes from the reflection. don`t know why but it seems to be too dark / black imo. nevertheless fantastic job.
:wavey:

xtrm3d
03-08-2004, 08:57 AM
confgratulation for the front page..
your work really deserve it ..
not perfect ...( see other comment ) but they are just minor small thing ..

but...
really nice.. :applause:

chk
03-08-2004, 09:14 AM
http://mstamm.imgaming.com/pics/auto/gt2.jpg

You need to do the rivets on the fenders for the 993. It's a distinguishing feature that is unique in modern Porsche.
</endcarfag>

Benton
03-08-2004, 10:01 AM
very good modle and lighting

Tonik
03-08-2004, 11:30 AM
Maybe a critique could help and one or two of zion's points made a bit of sense but you also need a pat on the back for coming up with such a great looking piece. It is a top quality image and with a little work could become something very special.

chongzi
03-08-2004, 11:39 AM
:eek: wooooooooow,very welll!:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

blindsleeper
03-08-2004, 12:08 PM
first off, great job, one of the best compositing jobs ive seen in a long time. however there is one thing that bugs me a bit. in the image, the reflection on the car and the windshield show clouds, and even on cloudy days (which this appears to be based on the bluish tinge in the lighting) there is a very faint image of the clouds that are above the car, you might try to add those ever so slightly to your reflection map.

Awesome image man...

furo
03-08-2004, 12:52 PM
i'm not a follower of compositions and so,but you presented a masterpiece of work here with ur porsche.. really great work, i love it man.. congrats.

Jason Park
03-08-2004, 01:25 PM
Wow, that looks amazing. Not much to crit on. Excellent job! :thumbsup:

Nosalis
03-08-2004, 02:12 PM
Headlights: From the wire it looks like they are but from the render it doesn`t

maybe you shlould put the whole headlingt a little back (I don`t know, if GT2 has it like you did them or not)

But I have to say , like others, the composition to photo is really good. Looking for some future works.

btw. clean wireframe

edit: " as I noticed on a picture of a real car, the headlights are done right. I would only add a glass with some refraction texture to achieve a better look, but it looks nice, I like it a lot"

fabriciomicheli
03-08-2004, 02:39 PM
looks great pal!!!
one of the best cars I've ever seen modeled in C4D!!! :thumbsup:
Just amazing...

it makes me cry... :cry: buahh...

Mojo Rizen
03-08-2004, 02:57 PM
Nice job, now how much does it cost to enter it in the Porsche Supercup. Ah the search for sponsorship.

deathblood
03-08-2004, 03:03 PM
wow!Very nice!I like
How long did you do it?:bounce: :bounce:

Araval
03-08-2004, 03:34 PM
Wow. what a clean wireframe!...
Render is very dynamic, beautiful lighting and material... amazing image!

Greetz.

Matthew Moran
03-08-2004, 04:06 PM
wow, thats a really sharp lookin car! Ive never modeled a car before , but i would hope that it would come out as good as this one if i did. GOOD WORK MAN!!:beer: KEEP IT UP:buttrock:

Martin Kay
03-08-2004, 07:21 PM
Nice smooth and well proportioned model indeed! I'd like to see the HN cage as opposed to the resulting mesh.

Meaty
03-08-2004, 07:38 PM
very rarely do i have nothing to offer, but i really cannot see anything wrong with this image... simply very very well done.

LeeC
03-08-2004, 08:49 PM
It does get me annoyed when pictures this good get such pointless and misinformed critique.

To those who say the wheels should be blurred should go here http://www.ebepe.com/html/porsche_e.html and have a look at some of the shots. Racing photography requires extremely fast shutter speeds and as such, they freeze motion. The amount of blur on the wheels is pretty consistent with the small amount of motion blur in the background. Most of the time, the wheels are perfectly clear.

"Surfaces are pretty sloppy" ????? "Amateur composition" ???, this isn't critique, this is bordering on insulting. Come on guys, this is an artistic forum and comments need a bit more thought than this.

The reflection colour is pretty much consistent with an overcast day and based on the lack of sunlight evident in the rest of the picture, it's pretty accurate. With this in mind, maybe the shadow density is a little high given the amount of ambient light available on an overcast day. Other than that... this is as cool as cucumber on the rocks! :thumbsup:

odainton
03-08-2004, 09:40 PM
Very good piece overall I just feel it needs a little more space left and right of the car - right now it the composition feels a little cramped to me.

Thumbs up

turx
03-08-2004, 09:50 PM
wonderful composition!
wondrful C4D work!

somebody inform Maxon to put the link of this thread to their Spotlight..

frizzank
03-08-2004, 10:42 PM
Vary nice

Sully
03-08-2004, 11:10 PM
Really Like this model I would go as far to say its the best Render of a car I have ever seen!!!

buzzbomb
03-09-2004, 12:12 AM
Great job mate :thumbsup:

One thing that struck my eye was the helmet shape, it's rather egg shaped which isn't really accurate.

...but anyway, that futile issue was all I could find (plus the aforesaid lack of rivets).

Great piece :)

michaeli
03-09-2004, 06:46 AM
Wow, nothing to comment, it's just one of the best CG cars!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Danielovich
03-09-2004, 07:05 AM
Wow! :bounce: I really like it! Congratulations for your work :thumbsup:

Sqwall
03-09-2004, 07:51 AM
Nice. I love the model but anyway it has some issues.

First. Where are the bolt caps of the extended rear fenders ... add them it will give your car more authentic look.

Second you should redo the front cornering lights. I think you can add to them some displacement map or something. I can help you with that.

Third. You can tweak a little the reflections on the car. Just a little. :rolleyes:

Anyway the picture gives a good feel of speed so I will stop criticizing you for tiny things. But as the Peoples at Poliphony says the attention to detail makes the product to worth.

pczy168
03-09-2004, 07:55 AM
Good!CINEMA4D?We use 3DSMAX in china!

Chester
03-09-2004, 10:45 AM
Hello there,

thanx again for all your comments, critique and Tipps. I'm sure I will be able to put it into action at my next work.
In any case I am going to post it here in the WIP section.

best regards
Dennis

zionlocke
03-09-2004, 04:05 PM
Geez, I hope I can redeem myself.

I'm sorry for making anybody here mad, I was exploring the image to see if there was something that I thought could have been done better. I didn't think others would hound me so, and I didn't realize how harsh I was being. BTW, I was feeling negative that day. Well, now to give you the same old good crits I give people that are as good as you.

I love the metal on your car! The model itself is incredible. You put a lot more work into modeling than most others would, especially on the car lights.

The background shot was well chosen. I think it was a great idea to use a moving image for inserting your car into.

:scream: Well, I hope I redeemed myself. Man, was that me??? I wish you the best!

:wavey:
Also, thank you guys for flaming. I needed to be woken up a bit.

Chester
03-09-2004, 04:38 PM
Hey zionlocke,

it ok for me. I can handle critique. I am posting my work in boards like this to get critique - the more the better. Then there is a possibility that i am able to improve my work and become aware of things I could do better.

regards
Dennis

Onno
03-09-2004, 05:32 PM
Looks very nice!

But since I modeled this car too (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=118262), I think I can give some detailed critique (some have been mentioned):
- Bolts on wheel arches
- Second windscreen wiper holder thing (it has two, and only one wiper as you have)
- It has no text on the spoiler, that's only bump
- All the creases seem a bit undeep, more like a bump then as a real crease.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.