PDA

View Full Version : Will heatsinks void a warranty?

Jb5k1
03-06-2004, 02:40 PM
I was wondering about processor heatsinks. Say I were to buy an Athlon XP and I bought it oem so I could add my own heatsink. If something happened after a bit of time, and it was cause by the heatsink, would that void the warranty at all?

I just wanted to make sure

imashination
03-06-2004, 04:40 PM
If it overheats because you use a crud heatsink, you're shafted.

If you break the CPU while putting the CPU on, you're shafted.

How else are you planning on breaking it?

If you don't build this machine soon then you'll have to pick new components as your list will be obsolete.

Jb5k1
03-06-2004, 09:11 PM
so the only way it'll **** up is if i do it, like, by hand?

thats all i needed to kno thx

singularity2006
03-07-2004, 05:01 AM
AMD voids the warranty if u use thermal grease. U have to use non-grease like Arctic Silver's Ceramique, or clean the CPU really really well if u need to RMA it.

GregHess
03-07-2004, 01:47 PM
As per the warranty's...(And ya I was wrong about this before, so here's the right answer)

Using any other heatsink then what a retail chip ships with...voids the warranty.

Using any other grease then what a retail chip ships with...voids the warranty.

OEM processors have a 30 day warranty.

Retail chips have a 3 yr warranty.

If a chip fails, be it OEM or retail, 99.9% of the time it was due to a bad install or configuration, not a flaw with the processor itself.

If your worried about warranty's, most places like newegg have warranties you can extend on oem processors, up to a year.

Jb5k1
03-07-2004, 06:17 PM
thats cool. i'll probably buy the proc oem and buy a seperate heatsink.

thx for the input

GregHess
03-07-2004, 11:07 PM
Do note:

No warranty covers installer error, overheating, or inproper voltage.

And 99.9% of the time, thats what will cause a processor problem and/or failure.

Aka if you happen to somehow chip your processor during installation, the warranty is voided, whether you used the retail heatsink or not.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.