PDA

View Full Version : D-Storm's UV Edit Pro Bonus! Thanks New Tek!

RobertoOrtiz
03-05-2004, 09:28 PM
Check your E-mails to see if you qualify for the free product!

-R

Steve McRae
03-05-2004, 09:38 PM
just wondering if there are any Canadians who qualify for the bonus who have received this email??

I sent bruce at videolink.ca a email a couple weeks ago but he never got back to me . . .

Mattoo
03-05-2004, 09:52 PM
How might one apply for this... bonus?

I haven't gotten any emails, all I've heard is what some of you guys have talked about here. Is it something only available to the US customers or something?

Chaz
03-05-2004, 09:57 PM
Very nice...it's a fantastic product...very much like the XSI UV Editor!

zuzzabuzz
03-05-2004, 10:00 PM
I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.
-or-
I could tell you, but then Newtek would have me killed.

:p

David Wyand
03-05-2004, 10:00 PM
Greetings!

Just to answer the question regarding Canadians: I purchased my copy of LightWave 8 and DFX+ here in Toronto, registered the LW 7.5 upgrade with NewTek, and I've just received the special bonus email.

- Dave
http://www.gnometech.com

bigbackcomics
03-05-2004, 10:03 PM
Hey Atomman

I sent Bruce an email last week on this to, and haven't heard back from him yet. His service is pretty good though so I anticipate getting the email any minute now.:bounce:

richcz3
03-05-2004, 10:07 PM
Anything that helps with UV's is welcome here :beer:
Never used it but I guess now I'll get to know it.

richcz3

GCL
03-05-2004, 10:07 PM
If true, fine for those users that don't have similar plugins / programs, viz: Right Hemisphere, BodyPaint, etc.

What about Newtek giving us credit bucks or a discount from Worley for FPrime ? That would be good !

:applause:

Signal2Noise
03-05-2004, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Atomman
just wondering if there are any Canadians who qualify for the bonus who have received this email??

I sent bruce at videolink.ca a email a couple weeks ago but he never got back to me . . .

Yep, I did! I live in Calgary too, Atomman. I purchased the whole LW[7.5], free upgrade to [8], and DFX+ enchilada through DMG Publishing (Keyframe Magazine) and got my UVEditPro email from Newtek @ approx. 3:15 pm today.

And to top it all off today happens to my birthday! Woot!:bounce:

Steve McRae
03-05-2004, 10:12 PM
well happy birthday signal!

I sent Bruce a email asking him to respond to the thread . . .

Chuck Baker
03-05-2004, 10:35 PM
Our participating international resellers will be contacting their customers within a few days. North American customers who owned [7.5] and who purchased a pre-order upgrade through a reseller may not have their information on file with us for the bonus, as some resellers have elected not to provide the information to NewTek.

If this applies to you, you can confirm eligibility by providing the serial number of your qualifying purchase, and your contact information, here:

http://register.newtek.com/Upgrade7To8Valid.aspx

Bytehawk
03-05-2004, 10:38 PM
anyone from europe got this email yet ?

I qualify but havent gotten it yet....

BTW happy birthday
Cheers !!

Ziah
03-05-2004, 11:19 PM
great great im not recognized as and upgrader great going woe is me hmm i don't wanna have to do the whole mail thing hmmmmm

KillMe
03-05-2004, 11:23 PM
damn thats a NICE bonus - just hope onevideo (my reseller) is one of those participating resellers if not they gonna get one serious earfull from me =)

Bytehawk
03-05-2004, 11:25 PM
KillMe - we're in the same boat methinks
my reseller is onevideo as well

Ziah
03-06-2004, 12:02 AM
mines is dmg they are usually on point with their stuff untill now gosh dammmn

rickycox
03-06-2004, 12:30 AM
The serial number is 10 digits in length, can be found on the outside of the DFX+ box or LightWave/RealViz box on a white label, and starts with "35"

I've preorderred and recieved Realviz but I won't know my serial number until after Lightwave Ships.

apex
03-06-2004, 12:32 AM
:thumbsup: Certainly a welcome edition to my toolset. Curious thought though... could the decision of Newtek adding this as a bonus have anything to do with the LW Paint button/thingy we have seen? Possible interaction between the two in some way? Nevertheless, still great to have :bounce:

kenrem

Carm3D
03-06-2004, 12:33 AM
Wow.. I was going to begin UV texturing my character but now I may just wait! Will this come with LW8 or seperately? If it's seperate, how do we get it? Electronic download?

rickycox
03-06-2004, 12:42 AM
I guess you can download te demo to start with re: http://www.dstorm.co.jp/DS_E/uveditpro/index.html

Ziah
03-06-2004, 12:58 AM
there is a link directly from the newtek site where they state the price of the priduct the have the manual and they tell you how to go about getting it licensed for use

http://www.newtek.com/partners/uv-edit-pro/

Mattoo
03-06-2004, 01:04 AM
Ok, I just had a go at the demo and I think I must be missing something. Because all I can make out is that it's a collection of all the current LW UV editing tools crammed into a more organized interface, with a few functions thrown in for good measure.

The only real pain in the arse I had with LWs UV stuff was using texture guide (for this purpose I've actually done the projections in Maya for more fiddly objects) - and no fixed version of UV projections appears to be in there...

..or am I wrong. The only thing it has got is a camera projection mode, which I never normally use anyway.

It really reminds me of the old UV editing tools in ancient old Softimage 3.8. Which is not good btw.

I'm obviously missing some amazing functions that demands this much attention?

Ziah
03-06-2004, 01:32 AM
matoo are you being subliminal

CIM
03-06-2004, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by richcz3
Anything that helps with UV's is welcome here :beer:
Never used it but I guess now I'll get to know it.

richcz3

My set of UV Tools (http://timothym.0catch.com/Lscripts.htm) can still be downloaded, btw. ;)

Mattoo
03-06-2004, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by Ziah
matoo are you being subliminal

Uh.. I'm not sure, am I?

Seriously, I don't get what the big deal is. Don't get me wrong, D-Storms Vertex Paint is a vast improvement over LWs native vertex painting implementation, both in speed of use and functionality.
But I really didn't have a huge problem with LWs UV editing (it was just the projection of UVs that LW is questionable at).

angel
03-06-2004, 02:22 AM
My serial doesn't register as a "qualified" number. Bummer, I'll have to deal with that on monday:cry:

Valkyrien
03-06-2004, 02:40 AM
sweet, got my e-mail today!

still wish it was Fprime though...:( although as it is I might actually be able to afford it anyway...*crosses fingers*

AnimatorX
03-06-2004, 12:23 PM
Well, I can't check my eligibility on the form that was posted by Chuck earlier because my serial doesn't start with a '35'. So it won't even let me try. :hmm:

I only bought recently, but my deal included the upgrade to 8.0 when available (my reseller was OneVideo too).

Well, I guess I just wait and see if I get an e-mail.:shrug:

Chuck Baker
03-06-2004, 01:24 PM
Folks, that eligibility page specifically is for North American customers who purchased through a reseller rather than directly from NewTek. Customers who purchased from our participating international partners will be hearing from those partners next week.

AnimatorX
03-06-2004, 01:58 PM
Thanks Chuck, my bad.:blush:

MitchVFX
03-06-2004, 01:58 PM
Looks like an awesome bonus. And thanks, Chuck, for providing the link to confirm.

Mitch

Ramon
03-07-2004, 05:03 AM
Hey y'all, Mattoo seems to have a point there yet, there haven't been any replies to his comments.
Are his points valid or does this plugin maintain features that LW's UV toolset lacks?

Ramon
03-07-2004, 05:07 AM
Give me a UV tool that automatically flattens a mesh while maintaining poly proportions (NOT ATLAS) that is akin to a custom UV map. Now that would be a great plugin and worth raving about.

hrgiger
03-07-2004, 06:02 AM
Mattoo,

I haven't used it a lot yet but I know the one really good advantage to using UVEdit Pro is that you don't have to unweld points like you do sometimes in Lightwave.

Chaz
03-07-2004, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Ramon
Hey y'all, Mattoo seems to have a point there yet, there haven't been any replies to his comments.
Are his points valid or does this plugin maintain features that LW's UV toolset lacks?
Well, off the top of my head, you can:

Always have the built-in checkerboard pattern available. You can see use it to follow the distortion on your models map in the camera view. A huge help.

Drag polygons in a UV map without having to unweld the polygons. To do this in Lightwave, you have to create a morph and unweld a la "Meni's method"....huge timesaver.

Points auto-weld.... drag two uv points near each other and then grab them both...they snap and move as one. A stastics menu is always available in the interface if you want to grab just one point again.

Mapping UVs based on the projection of the camera in the perspective view. This can shave hour off of "unwrapping" a model.

Support for discontinuous UV maps.

There are a lot more little features that I didn't mention, but those are my favorites. It's an awesome plugin that is finally getting the attention it deserves!

Ramon
03-07-2004, 04:30 PM
Thanks, because no matter how long I looked at dstorm's site to learn more about this plugin, the Japanese text wasn't getting any easier to read. :shrug:
So as you say those are some advantages.

MadMax
03-07-2004, 05:00 PM
I hope this means that if you bought directly from Newtek, you still get it right?

ArtisticVisions
03-07-2004, 05:10 PM
Well, so far my feelings are mixed about UV Edit Pro. On One hand, it appears to be a vast improvement over LW current UV Map tools, and has a clean, nice looking interface.

My main problem, however, is that when I try to select anything, change the view type, etc. inside Edit Pro, it crashes my LW...... I mean a lot, like 4 out of 5 times. (I don't quite understand why it's happening, since my system is generally quite stable)

Chaz
03-07-2004, 09:47 PM
You may want to contact D-Storm support; they're fast and very helpful.

I had a similiar problem when I got mine and it turned out I had downloaded an older plugin that was't compatible with 7.5c.

ArtisticVisions
03-07-2004, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by Chaz
You may want to contact D-Storm support; they're fast and very helpful.

I had a similiar problem when I got mine and it turned out I had downloaded an older plugin that was't compatible with 7.5c.
Don't know if it's an older version, since I just downloaded it from the link that I got for the Newtek Free Bonus email that I got?

Where's D-Storm's english support site or do I just contact Newtek?
(except I shouldn't have a problem once I get my LW 8 upgrade)

Ziah
03-12-2004, 12:39 AM
k im obviously missing the obvios but how are you suppose to register um uv edit pro can't find the damm page

what is your user do they mean chat name??? are your name???

cuas ehte only password i have on their site is my chat one do they differ??

anyone had any probs ??

Signal2Noise
03-12-2004, 01:04 AM
Maybe if you wrote properly we could understand what you're getting at.

But I'll give it a shot:

There was an Email from Newtek with instructions on how to register UVEdit. You need your LightWave Hardware Lock ID along the UVEdit Serial No. Newtek provided in that same email. Once you have that info you click on the registration link near the bottom of the email.

By "user" I assume you mean "User Name" which would be whatever name and password you registered with initially @ Newtek's site in order to get into the page where you register UVEdit.

Let us know how it goes. IN ENGLISH next time;)

Ziah
03-12-2004, 01:39 AM
lol thanx for being such a good sport noise ..typos happen when your just typing away to fast and don't check or think to much about what your anyway its not the same as the one you chat with and thats the only one i have??? by defualt would it be your email and a password like some other websites?

eRP
03-12-2004, 02:13 PM
Did anyone in Europe receive the email ?

evilemil
03-12-2004, 03:57 PM
erp: i got my email on tuesday registered uveditpro on the same day.

the biggest advantage of uveditpro: you can use non-square textures to adjust your uvs.. this is something that always bothered me in LW.

i would like to see some more features,too.
but as the plugin was not updated for so long, i think, they will not integrate more stuff (relax, move&sew, Display open edges)...

evilemil
03-12-2004, 03:58 PM
btw, thanks for this ultracool piece of software

Michael

eRP
03-12-2004, 04:33 PM
Thanks, Evilemil for the reply.
It seems that I must contact Newtek Europe.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.