PDA

View Full Version : Beast of Burden- Character-wildsheepchase

wildsheepchase
07-04-2002, 08:15 AM
Here's a really rough sketch of my beast. It's going to be underwater, and he's going to be hauling a big glass bubble full of air. The colors in this scribble aren't actually the palette I'm going to use....the yellow blobs are lights and people:p I might rework him to look even more fishlike...I'm not sure if he looks to "humanoid" right now.

jeroentje
07-04-2002, 08:31 AM
Underwater... good idea! Hadn't thought of that.
jeroentje

(btw, maybe it will become even better as a big ugly pimpled frog (?) )

puddlefish
07-04-2002, 09:37 PM
I like the idea of pulling the bubble, although I think it could be difficult to give it a feasible sense of weight. Maybe have the creature trying to pull it upwards instead of down?

hypercube
07-04-2002, 09:46 PM
Cool idea! Definitely original..just have to stay away from gunganisms (is that a word?) :)

Wouldn't pulling it down be 'weight', if it is full of air and underwater? ie working against the bouyancy?

wildsheepchase
07-04-2002, 11:06 PM
Thanks for the comments:) I'm trying to rework it a little...I think instead of just a bubble, there's going to be a city in the bubble, so the beast is kind of like a giant transport. He's going to be wearing giant weights around his neck, belly area so that he doesn't float to the top.

Jeroente: I might make him ugly, but I don't know about pimply...that might be too gross
;)

Puddlefish: Hopefully my next update will give a better sense of weight when he has his weight belt on

Hypercube: I am worried about the gungan thing, because the idea is getting closer to that, but I think my drawing style and take on the subject will make it much different, hopefully....we'll see:D

Thanks for the feedback:thumbsup:

Tommy Lee
07-04-2002, 11:16 PM
tam-tam-tam-tamtatam-tamtatam!!!!:D

UPDAAAAAAAAAAAATE!!!!!!

Cheerz:beer:

Tommy Lee

wildsheepchase
07-04-2002, 11:50 PM
lol, Tommy lee....here's an update:

Tommy Lee
07-04-2002, 11:57 PM
Yeah this will be great....Realy GREAT!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAHH!!!BIG MONSTA!!!:applause:

Keep´em coming!!!!:thumbsup:

Stygian
07-05-2002, 06:55 AM
cool idea man. congrats on thinking outta the box and putting the beast in a non-standard environment. :applause:

wildsheepchase
07-05-2002, 06:55 AM
Another update:

Sangotten
07-05-2002, 11:40 AM
To be honest, I thought your first concept was better (love that one!!!), it was original enough not to get weird but this one is .... WEIRD!!!

Maybe I'll change my oppinion later on when more has become clear and worked out...

Sorry for the negative crit.:shrug:

wildsheepchase
07-05-2002, 10:45 PM
weird=bad:shrug:
oh well, thanks for the crit anyways....

Arco
07-06-2002, 12:30 AM
weird dude. I wouldn't say bad, more artistic than bad. The colours in particular are very sexy.

Arco

wildsheepchase
07-06-2002, 05:05 AM
Update:

Gamoron
07-06-2002, 06:59 PM
You've got the beat style here Wild and this is screwy. looking to see where it goes next.

wildsheepchase
07-06-2002, 09:50 PM
Thanks for the comments!:beer:

Sleepless
07-07-2002, 04:02 AM
The joint is jumpin here in 2d challenge land. I don't even have a bad idea yet...nice concept. My only suggestion is one of technique.. Maybe try and use bigger brushes to block in some shadow shapes on the creature. It would help simplify the structure and lightsource.

go:applause: :applause:

ps. your last challenge turned out looking great IMO. I liked the style.

wildsheepchase
07-07-2002, 05:08 AM
Thanks for the compliment and tip, Sleepless! I'll give your suggestion a try...the light source issue has been bothering me about this one. It's underwater, so it's supposed to be dark, but I've been thinking about making this guy bioluminescent....just trying to figure out how to do that.:wip:
Thanks again!:beer:

wildsheepchase
07-08-2002, 04:35 AM
Here's an update...trying to give it a sense of light coming from the pods, though it might be a bit too much right now. C&C always welcome;)

Slacker
07-08-2002, 05:06 AM
lookin' good!

I kind of liked the school of fish thing you had going on in the bottom left of the picture a few updates ago. It brought in some nice light and some good atmosphere. keep it up :thumbsup:

wildsheepchase
07-08-2002, 05:17 AM
Thanks! The school isn't gone, I just didn't have that layer visible on the last couple of saves...it'll be back!:D

Sleepless
07-12-2002, 04:34 AM
This is going good. Your broader/simplified strokes clean it up.

>"but I've been thinking about making this guy bioluminescent"

That's a hard one. You'll figure it out. This guy is standing on the bottom right? I't pretty dark down there, you could push the values darker on his leg and underside so it's closer to the seabed value. Murky Darkness. (Am I making any sense)

Have fun.:)

dmcgrath
07-15-2002, 04:28 AM
I get a sense of the caharacter staring at me. But his eyes are all different directions. Some animals can do this to be sure. But when you want us to look at his face with three eyes, they should be engaging us. Not looking in three different directions. You could pull off the three eye thing by not squaring off the head directly at us. Try a more oblique angle, with the nose pointing downward towards the bottom right corner of the pic maybe. If you need any more help, I'll keep checking back. I like where this one is going. There isn't enough sea creatures here and yours is truly unique.

wildsheepchase
07-15-2002, 07:45 AM
Thanks for the critique, Stygian...unfortunately, I don't think I'm going to be able to finish it this month. I'm going out of town tomorrow for three weeks. Maybe, I'll finish it up later...I was a little unhappy with it anyhow:rolleyes:
Thanks for all the critiques everyone! Good luck!:bounce: :bounce:

dmcgrath
07-15-2002, 07:29 PM
I don't think I'm going to be able to finish it this month. I'm going out of town tomorrow for three weeks.

Take some paper and pens with you wherever you go and draw this thing.

I dont want to see the idea fade away. It's really cool.

Just practice on regular paper with pens. It's cheap and easy and you can do it anywhere. plus you dont ever have to erase anything.
:p

Gamoron
07-15-2002, 09:10 PM
Well done! enjoy the trip

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.