PDA

View Full Version : Dual Xeons Eventually, or 64-Bit?

Joviex
03-04-2004, 06:33 PM
I was pricing a new beasty and I am in a quandry. I can afford to purchase a single Xeon ATM along with Mobo, Gig of Ram, case, etc... and most likely another one in about 5 weeks.

Should I do this, or should I go for a 64 bit system? I have been looking left and right for 64 bit benchmarks, and while nice, Dual Xeons still smoke a lot of apps. However, with the 64Bit OS comming, and future compatibility...?

I was also wondering if anyone, going with the Dual Xeon setup, could recommend something like the

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=11-129-142&depa=0

case with a proper EPS12V powersupply to house the Xeons.

I assumed I could get the above case and say an Antec True550 and just swap em out, but is that a good idea? I basically like the case design, and want something along the lines of its form factor so I can stick it on my desktop shelf (keeping my current machine as a render node under the desk).

Any help is much appreciated.

gmask
03-04-2004, 06:38 PM
I recently had a chance to compare a dual AMD 246 64bit system versus a Dual 3.6 Xeon and then 64 bit system was almost twice as fast rendering in maya but hugely expensive. We also found that After Effects 5.5 which is kind of old had a tendency to lock the computer up although we had no such problems with any other programs.

Joviex
03-04-2004, 07:03 PM
Actually, hmmm, Newegg prices only put Dual 64-bit 246's around 7-800 more then Dual Xeon's (in the same config I had going).

That is not neccessarily out of range, depending of course on how much more smoking 64 bit processing would be.

gmask
03-04-2004, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by amorano
Actually, hmmm, Newegg prices only put Dual 64-bit 246's around 7-800 more then Dual Xeon's (in the same config I had going).

That is not neccessarily out of range, depending of course on how much more smoking 64 bit processing would be.

The motherboards tend to run more expensive as well .. I guess one would argue that yes they are faster and you will be compatible when 64bit OS and programs are available. Currently Dual Xeons seem to be disproportionally expensive when compared to Single p4's or AMD procs.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.