PDA

View Full Version : finger curl, spread setup

Pickman
03-04-2004, 04:47 PM
I've been looking here in the search but didn't find anything relevant about making a finger curl, spread setup, anyone here knows about a good tutorial or link ??
THX

titaniumdave
03-05-2004, 02:59 AM
This is how I do it. First create a locator and get rid of all of its attributes. Then add some attributes index curl and so on. Then just create some set driven keys tied to those attributes.

Dave

Emmortal1
03-05-2004, 03:44 AM
I usually add attributes to the wrist control box as to keep the controls in a central location so the animators don't have to run around looking for what locators to select when. Or just make a MEL window with the controls in it. But as to your question, SDK's are usually the set up route I take.

Pickman
03-05-2004, 09:12 AM
Thx very much, I think I'll go for second option, I like to keep everything tidy and at a simple place.
I'll use setdriven key on the hand joints to make it happen.
By any chance, presuming i'll get this right, is there a way to script the whole stuff ?? or a tut explaining how ??

magilla
03-09-2004, 12:58 AM
I use two parent joints in the same location of each joint in the hand/fingers.
So your hierarchy looks like this:

L_pointer1
L_pointer1_grip
L_pointer2
L_pointer2_grip

etc.... so that you can control the spread of each finger with the pointer1 joint and control the curl of the finger with the pointer1_grip joint. You can also create a third parent joint that does an overall hand grip/fist control (a big time saver).

This method lets you add sdk control over the top of each other - otherwise they will cancel out each other's effect.

btw - you bind the mesh to the joint lowest on the hierarchical chain

--magilla

dwalden74
03-09-2004, 07:03 AM
By any chance, presuming i'll get this right, is there a way to script the whole stuff ??

Yes, Ive added that feature in the "Tools" section of my dwRiggingTools (http://www.davidwalden.com) scripts. Its all based on SDK, and is a BIG time saver (although usually I need to tweak the SDK curves a bit).

This method lets you add sdk control over the top of each other - otherwise they will cancel out each other's effect.

Not sure I follow you Magilla. When you apply multiple SDKs to the same obj they have an *additive* effect.

-David

magilla
03-09-2004, 10:27 PM
Is this a difference between 4 and 5, cos when I setup sdk in 4 they just over-ride the input and the fingers snap to the last tweaked sdk value.

--magilla

dwalden74
03-10-2004, 07:28 AM
Hmm, as far as I can remember its always been like this. If you select the driven obj and open the graph editor you should see multiple SDK animCurves.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.