PDA

View Full Version : MFnSet - Cannot create Sets at all?

Byron
03-04-2004, 03:32 PM
Originally, my problem was as simple as follows:

Create a new shader (shader connected to shadingEngine, which has to be connected to the renderparition again), and assign it to mesh polygon components.

First I tried to create all the nodes (lambert, shadingEngine) manually, and connecting them accodingly, but that wouldn`t work. Maya was not willing to thread this construct as a shader :(.

Okay then, so I took the MFnSet and wanted to use the
.create(MSelectionList&, MFnSet::kRenderableOnly, MStatus) method.
The problem was: It always gave back an invalid MObject which was supposed to be my handle to the newly created shadingEngine/shaderSet.
The status I received was MS::kSuccess ....

I initialized the selection List , which was supposed to hold the initial set members, with no Object, or with a mesh, or with a meshPath and the components, but all that failed.
(the mesh had no shaderassignments at all since it was newly created)

I also tried to use no setLimits at all (MFnSet::kNone), but that didn`t work too.

Finally I decided to use MEL to create a shadingengine, and then operate on it with the MFnSet, which fortunately worked fine.

Does anyone have an idea what could have gone wrong, or is this a general known problem?

Thanks for reading,
Byron

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.