PDA

View Full Version : Animation : Train (storybook style)

Erotic Fetus
03-04-2004, 04:02 PM
hi guys, i'm a student learning 3ds max, i've been learning for just under a year now i recently did a special effects / physics module in my course & we had to do a small animation featuring what we've learnt so far (in the module).

Naturally, in special effects everyone was blowing a car/house/airbase/glass/cows up & sticking particles to everything, but i tried getting away from the cliché of "special effects" i wanted a slightly storybook feel to it.

we're not getting marked on the textures/lighting/modelling , but i cant stand to leave it looking sub par while the special effects look better.

Here's the special effects / reactor physics i used for the scene.

B&W smoke from train - 1 particle array
Card Stack - Fracture system
Baloon Flags - Cloth (with suttle wind affecting them)
Cars - Toy car system
Car shooting Main colour blobs - 3x super spray with different materials
Coloured smoke - 5x particle arrays with different materials
SunRays - Motor system

and that's about it i think.

i used the country music from the game "The sims" because it felt like it fits perfectly to it. :buttrock:

I'm not sure if everything will show up properly here, because i've compressed the videoclip as much as i can, dropping it's resolution as much as i could, squashed a 90MB quicktime into a 7 meg DivX . Sorry that the quality is poo.

I tried going as low as i can because i know people have dial up , (so do i) so uploading/downloading was annoying. Also i cant find any webspace to upload the high quality 25meg (640x480 Divx) version

http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~wafiksalim/Wafik_Special_Effects_Proj2.avi

I hope you enjoy :)
i get my results back in a few weeks

Z1K0B4
03-04-2004, 04:12 PM
Hey thats really neat. I love the style, and i think this is demo-reel material (at least part of it) because of the fact that it is NOT cliche and shows art direction skills. I can very well see this concept used for a skittles or snapple commercial. I would have liked the cloth simulation to be more exaggerrated. Anyhow, well-done! you have potential in the commercial world!

Erotic Fetus
03-04-2004, 04:19 PM
thanks for the praise ^_^
i wanted to have paper airplanes in the background holding those long flags with words on them, but i ran out of time & i just had to stick those in to try to squeeze as much physics in it as possible :P

EDIT :- I was talking about the cloth physics

Z1K0B4
03-04-2004, 04:55 PM
:beer:

Erotic Fetus
03-05-2004, 02:10 AM
bumping for more comments ?
;)

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.