PDA

View Full Version : system units and mental ray

McMaster
03-04-2004, 02:57 PM
Is there a way in Maya to set something like your system units (like one grid-step to another is 1 Meter in real or 1 cm...)?
I think when rendering GI with mental ray this should somehow influence the result, isn't it?
Or do I have to set something like this with the mental-attributes?

DSedov
03-04-2004, 04:37 PM
Its somwhere in preferences. You just select your unit size, and in the grid option you can select how many virtual units is one grid, as well as activate the actual numbering on the grid.

Emmortal1
03-04-2004, 08:12 PM
Window->Settings & Preferences->Settings->Working Units. Can be changed from millimeter, centimeter, inch, foot, yard.

florianw
03-05-2004, 09:06 AM
hi, it is recommended to set the working units as centimeters (the default setting in maya) to match the dafault settings of mental ray.. if you change these settings to a different unitsize, you have to adjust the gi & finalgathering radius-settings relative to the value you choosed..

McMaster
03-05-2004, 01:48 PM
Cool, thanks guys for your help,
but when I modell something without concerning about working units (shame on me), isn't there an option to say like: OK, in my scene now, 5 units should be 1 Centimeter?

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.