PDA

View Full Version : Characters - Legacy of Evil

samgrice
03-04-2004, 03:46 PM
Heres the latest work from my final project for uni (its been a quick three years :( ) I'm making 3 characters and an environment for each for a game idea i'm making up, i will then put them together for a trailer. The project/game is called Legacy of Evil.

this is a WIP of the first character, Greg the Troll.

I'm aiming for 6,000 tri's so there is room for more detail, i think the hands and arms need some work. also does anyone think he looks too much like shrek?

thanks

*EDIT* pics removed, latest progress at end of thread*EDIT*

Migs
03-04-2004, 07:30 PM
Maybe it's just the angle, but the nose is bothering me. It doesn't seem to attach to anything on the face. I also think he could use a more pronounced brow ridge. Big tough characters like trolls look better when they're brow lines stick out more.

Prs-Phil
03-04-2004, 07:48 PM
holy shrek :)

Doesnt look bad at all but I think fat chars allthough they are strong should have their shoulders hanging down a bit more, and also his shoulders seem a bit too wide.

Keep it up anyway ...

Phil

TRyanD
03-05-2004, 03:42 AM
Looks alot like shrek heh.

Is he supposed to be evil, cause imo hes not... Hook him up with some horns and a slumped over look, meaner eyes (could prolly fix that when its rigged though) and maybee fix the teeth up some, enlarge teh lower ones to stick up maybee..

samgrice
03-05-2004, 01:19 PM
yeah the shoulders are my main concern at the moment, Prs-Phil's right i'll give them more angle, but its a bit weird because has no neck as such.

he's a hero character you would play as so hes gonna be nice, but the texture will be roughed up alot aswell, the nose needs changing too as thats the most shrek-like part at the mo.

thanks

pseudoBug
03-05-2004, 04:30 PM
Shrekky!! :P
He's got this weird baby/sumo like stance going on with his legs. He's got no torso to speak of ,and as soon as I see the lower half of him, he looks like a troll baby. Seems like his hips could be a bit narrower.

And, yeah, he does look a bit like shrek. :)

rob-beddall
03-05-2004, 08:41 PM
hey!!
i really wouldn't bother modelling the nipples or bellybutton.
they should be fine in just the texure.
cheers!!

rob-beddall
03-05-2004, 08:43 PM
hey!!
you might also want to rethink the legs.
i'm not sure if they are gonna deform properly once you rig it.
just a thought.
cheers!!

samgrice
03-08-2004, 02:04 PM
@ pseudoBug: yeah the fact that his pants look like a nappy dosn't help to much either, but i kinda like the baby style look.

@ ROB_BEDDALL: since i'm going for 6,000 tris with this version i though i might as well model the nipples and belly button (i'll be making a 3,000 version later). thanks for the tip about the legs, i might do a small rig-test before i unwrap to check.

can anyone give me some tips on the legs? hows the best way to make sure they deform correctly?

thanks

Prs-Phil
03-08-2004, 04:26 PM
alot of horizontal segments m8 :)

samgrice
03-09-2004, 12:58 PM
well i tried a test rig and it seemed to deform ok, i might add another slice through though, just to make sure.

rigging is really my weakest skill :(

samgrice
03-17-2004, 03:09 PM
Heu guys, heres a very early WIP of my next character for the project, she's a 70's detective, i'm going for a female version of Shaft kinda style.

i think she needs some work on the hands, any thoughts?

JDinges
03-17-2004, 04:17 PM
Lookin good, though unless she's going to have a coat belt on I don't believe the coat should be pulled in at her waste. it should just fall straight down and for the most part not follow her contours.

Manky
03-17-2004, 06:10 PM
hay looking good their sam!! hope yur project is going well, i like what u got for the female character so far, sort of reminds me of matrix though

keep up the good work

SammyB
03-18-2004, 12:23 PM
Nice, but the hands need susbtantial tweaking, starting with the thumb...

samgrice
03-18-2004, 02:10 PM
@Darkax: cheers for the heads up on the coat, i'll tweak it so its more natural, but i want to keep some of the feminine lines.

@Manky: hi Man! it will look less like matrix style when i make the texture, are you gonna post up some of your work?

@SammyB: yeah the hands are being a real pain in the arse! any ideas?

thanks

samgrice
03-23-2004, 01:14 PM
Right well heres my latest progress on Greg, he's pretty much complete now, but i might have some time to tweak him before i unwrap him if anyone can give me some quick feedback.

I'm much happier with the feet and hands now, but i dont think the hands are perfected yet.

cheers :P

samgrice
03-29-2004, 02:38 PM
Not much interest ay? well hopefully this should wet your apertite, heres the textured version, still some tweaks i can do and the teeth arnt done yet, but tell me what you think.

http://www.samgrice.co.uk/images/gregbeta01.jpg

http://www.samgrice.co.uk/images/gregbeta02.jpg

http://www.samgrice.co.uk/images/gregtexture01.jpg

commy
03-29-2004, 03:57 PM
thats a criminal use of 1024*1024 lol i know u have the scales but when u look at that first full body shot u cna barely see them, add some more interest to the textures more contrast etc make it look like u need all 1024*1024 bits atm apart from the tiny variance the scales add u could get the same detail out of 512

Manky
03-30-2004, 11:12 PM
hi sam

Nice Texture there!! i like the scales, but can't see the scales from the first pic, i thought at first it was a grainy picture until i saw the close ups. But still good though, and it don;t look like shrek now!

Keep up the good work!!

and 2 answer your queestion earlier, i might post up some work if i can find some space

samgrice
03-31-2004, 12:45 PM
thanks guys! yeah that first pic really dosn't do him any justice, i'll make a nicely lit hi-res render for him when i have the time.

Manky: have you tried any of the free hosting sites listed on cgtalk? you might find one that ok.

samgrice
04-09-2004, 05:51 PM
heres the latest on the second character, Detective Leia. still alot i can do with the texture, but i would really like some crits for it so far. The face, hair and tshirt need alot of work still, but i think the rest is getting there.

whataddayouthink?

samgrice
04-13-2004, 03:59 PM
heres the first pics of the third and final character, Commander Titus. im not as pleased with him as i am with the other two, i think the proportions are off. any thoughts?

http://www.samgrice.co.uk/stuff/tituswip01.jpg

baaah888
04-13-2004, 04:08 PM
ok my Crit.

Detective Leia - the hands look a little flat, and the face looks a tad squashed as well,

can we see a wire of her as well, cause im having trouble seeing where all the geometry went,

Titus - the shoulder pads look way to high poly, you could cut a few there, also a space marines shoulder pads have thicker Rims than, because of the shoulder pads the arms look like they're comeing from nowhere, which inturn makes him look way too broad considering his head height. His legs could be a little longer as well, but that might be an optical illusion since it may be his body thats too long, or his head thats too small.

Its just something that isnt clicking for me :\

other than that tho, the modelling technique you got going is generally good, and i love the troll, althought he's possibly a bit too like shrek for my likeing.

anyways keep going your work is always nice too see.

Manky
04-13-2004, 06:32 PM
hi Sam

your texture 4 your detective is looking cool but i do agree that the hand looks a bit flat, but going well so far!

however i'm not so sure about the marine, it's a good start but i think the porpotions is out a bit, maybe it's the suit, and also the hand looks a tad flat

but keep up the good work!! not long 2 go 2 till when we hav 2 hand it in, scary! it's good 2 see that u got a wide range of style of characters!

Mark62756
04-14-2004, 04:31 PM
are these models going to be used in a game? because those poly counts are way too crazy O_O

samgrice
04-14-2004, 05:13 PM
theres absaloutly nothing wrong with the poly counts. i have been working of advice from the industry and in a sertan xbox action RPG the characters tri counts are 10 - 15,000!!

so 6,000 is not pushing it at all. in fact i have been recomended to make characters at no less than 15k, but others have said no more than 3k. so i chose 6k as a good average as i dont have the time to build 15k models that warrant the detail.

Games are already being made by several companys for next gen hardwar and they are probably working to 50k+ limits for characters in games.

get with the now.

Ferg
04-15-2004, 02:11 AM
Mark has a good point. Your poly counts are about average for the nex gen FPS games, Sam, the but the models are not. You could probably shave 2000-3000 polys off your ogre without a noticable difference in the final model.

The polys on your Titus character are a little better, but the shoulder pads are waaaay too high. Try simplifying the front and back sides of them, but leave the sillouette the way it is.

You characters are looking good, but you just need to keep making models and taking people's crits. Practice and getting crits from your peers are the two best ways to improve.

Definately study more anatomy, you've got a good handle on the basics now. Try modeling hands over and over, look at some other people's hand models and compare yours to theirs, see what you like and dont like. Practice.

And finally, if someone gives you a crit, REGARDLESS of what they say, DO NOT EVER snap at them or tell them they are wrong, even if they are. Getting angry at someone for giving you crits will only make other people not want to crit you, because you only seem to listen to the crits that say what you want to hear. Not all the crits you get will be nice and fluffy, but you gotta roll with the punches and try to keep yourself open.

And I don't know WHO has been telling you to model 15,000 poly characters, but I wouldn't endorse that at all. I'd set your cap at 4500tris, MAX. But that's just my opinion. I hope this helps you, and I look forward to seeing your future models.

YerEvilTwin
04-15-2004, 02:17 AM
Yep, poly count could be a ton lower. I always like when you crit someone and they reply with " this guy in the industry said this or said that." Can you run a game with five of those guys and a lush enviorment. nope. Try this make a truck under 500 polys and post it. Let's take a look at how you handle that limit. Take an hour, that's about how long it should take.

samgrice
04-15-2004, 12:16 PM
And finally, if someone gives you a crit, REGARDLESS of what they say, DO NOT EVER snap at them or tell them they are wrong, even if they are.

Sorry but i wasnt trying to be rude or slap anyone in the face, its just that alot of people have been giving me contradictory information (not just on this forum though) and i have had very good advice from several sources that 6,000 tris is not to high at all for this generation of hardware (pc or console). as i said i've been advised from 3 - 15k limits so i thought 6k was a good comprimise. i'm sorry if i looked like i was biting someones head off, but we all know that it can be very difficult to get a town of voice across in just words.

However you may be all correct about the look of the models in comparison to there tri counts. I think the problem with the troll is that on top of alot of detail going into the head and hands, i have also put alot of detail into the feet and have had to sacrifice detail on the body. I think the detail i have put into the head and feet is more apropreate to a 8,000 tri model.

As for leia her siloete is very smooth (apart from one section of the jacket) and with titus i have balanced out the model a bit better now espescially with the shoulder pads.

I think the main problems i have as regards to anatomy and proportion are concerd are mainly to do with lack of practice, but more importantly to do with bad refrences. Leia is the only model i made here with the use of photos as reference, thats why titus is so badly out of shape. i definatly need more practice when it comes to hands, they are by far my weakest skill at the moment.

One more thing about the poly counts, after i finish this project i plan to make 3,000 tri versions of the models and possibly even 1,000 versions.

I really apreceate everyones comments and i try to take on board as much as i can, i wouldnt post up my work if i didnt, thank you.

Sam

samgrice
04-20-2004, 02:01 PM
heres the latest on Leia, im gonna have to say shes done for now, i dont have anymore time to work on her. I f theres any tweaks you think i could make though, let me know.

http://www.samgrice.co.uk/images/leiawip04.jpg

http://www.samgrice.co.uk/images/leiawip05.jpg

samgrice
04-27-2004, 01:23 PM
Right, well heres an almost complete version of Titus, i think the proportions are better now, but still not perfect. I'm really pleased with the texture and i think ive managed to give each character a unique look, but with a similar style.

any thoughts?

thanks

http://www.samgrice.co.uk/images/tituswip02.jpg

http://www.samgrice.co.uk/images/tituswip03.jpg

http://www.samgrice.co.uk/images/tituswip04.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.