PDA

View Full Version : Ordering a Windows XP Disk With all Updates?

MaDSheeP
03-04-2004, 02:29 PM
Hey everyone, Its that time of year again where I buy a much larger hard drive, and load up windows again.. its a nice way of keeping my computer clean, and making sure i don't run out of room, which i am right now, (i remember when my 1.5gb hard drive was enough)

anyway, I was wondering if there is a legit way to get ahold of an XP CD that has all of the latest updates built in? i won't be doing this right away, i will probably wait for the XP SP2 to come out and then get ahold of a cd with it built in.

I purchased XP with my student discount, but that was when i first built my computer, ages ago, so that CD is far far outdated

Just curious is there is a way to ask microsoft for another cd, pay them shipping or something, anyone tried this before?

CGLearner
03-04-2004, 02:59 PM
Microsoft is offering a CD with all the updates up to 10/2003. I believe its free.

Here is the address:
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/cd/order.asp

You will have to install XP before you install the updates.

Epicentre
03-04-2004, 03:01 PM
nah dude... keep the cd you have. theres no need to give microsoft anymore of your hard earned cash.

when sp2 is released you can either download it from windows update... if slow internet connection is a problem go to a newsagent and pick any computer user magazine as at least one of them would have the sp2 on the cover cd.

MaDSheeP
03-04-2004, 03:11 PM
doh heh, actually... i was looking for a copy of XP with all of the updates built in... i run into most of my problems installing the updates after the initial install of XP... so with them built in... i could avoid that =)

CGLearner
03-04-2004, 03:35 PM
Well, in that case, I don't know of one. Often times you can go back to the manufacturer of the computer (Dell, Compaq, etc.) and get a CD from them... But they will probably charge you for it. However if you ever really wanted an excuse to sell your first born...

Epicentre
03-04-2004, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by CGLearner
Microsoft is offering a CD with all the updates up to 10/2003. I believe its free.

Here is the address:
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/cd/order.asp

You will have to install XP before you install the updates.

i didn't know that a security update disk was available.... and free.

i usually reinstall windows a few times a year to keep things clean and running optimal. got my system setup so that i can reinstall windows quickly keeping most applications, data, and linux dual boot intact. thanks for the link cglearner :thumbsup:

MaDSheeP: what problems are you running into with installing the updates? i've never had any trouble.

MaDSheeP
03-04-2004, 04:59 PM
heh, perhaps i will just pick up a fresh copy with my student discount, its only like, $30, i just wanted to make sure that the service updates are built in

Sieb
03-04-2004, 05:10 PM
Right now, You can only get XP with SP1. When SP2 comes out, you can create your own updated disk by Slipstreaming SP2 into it and burning a new disk. Otherwise all your updates come from Windows Update or the Update CD they are sending out. I signed up for mine but it was backordered by the end of the first day. And yes, it is free.

I don't know if you can slipstream normal updates into a new disk though, I think its only Service Packs.

CGLearner
03-04-2004, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by MaDSheeP
heh, perhaps i will just pick up a fresh copy with my student discount, its only like, $30, i just wanted to make sure that the service updates are built in

Thats funny...

Last time I checked an original XP disk from HP, when you owned their machine (I'm not sure about the others) was $35...

:bowdown: Student discounts :bowdown: :thumbsup:

Signal2Noise
03-04-2004, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Bill Gates
The Windows Security Update CD...

In addition, you will also receive a free antivirus and firewall trial software CD.

LoL!:rolleyes:

Valkyrien
03-04-2004, 10:37 PM
well, if you think about it, if you do a fresh install of XP, then run wndows update before doing anything else (besides getting online of course), you shouldn't have a problem;)

GregHess
03-05-2004, 11:36 AM
If your routinely reinstalling windows every 6 months or so...

A better solution would be purchasing a disk clone software like norton ghost.

This way all you need to do is...

1) Wipe the drive
2) Install the OS
3) Update the OS and install all drivers.
4) Install your preferred apps, set them up.
5) Clean and optimize the computer.
6) Ghost the machine.

You'll end up with a perfect file from which to restore a machine at its most prestine state.

Instead of a few hours to start over, you'll just need a few minutes. (On really fast machines ghost can sometimes restore in as little as 5-10 minutes!)

And if your like me and store all your scene/texture/data files on a seperate partion or drive, you can restore a ghost partion anytime something goes wrong, saving hours of troubleshooting.

The nicest thing about doing a clean ghost of a freshly installed/optimized system, is they usually fit on a single blank dvd. Anything goes wrong, boot to the dvd, restore the system :).

Sieb
03-05-2004, 06:15 PM
Ghost is good. Every few months (and lan parties) I start with a fresh reload. Only takes 8 mins to load it up with my baseload ghost and maybe 20 mins to update everything. :thumbsup:

Epicentre
03-06-2004, 12:09 PM
A better solution would be purchasing a disk clone software like norton ghost.

Instead of a few hours to start over, you'll just need a few minutes. (On really fast machines ghost can sometimes restore in as little as 5-10 minutes!)

The nicest thing about doing a clean ghost of a freshly installed/optimized system, is they usually fit on a single blank dvd. Anything goes wrong, boot to the dvd, restore the system :). [/B]

thanks for the tip GregHess. i purchased norton ghost and now up to preparing the disk image. i needed a better way to restore the system when it starts having problems without spending heaps of time troubleshooting... and restoring an optimised system is hours saved that was spent tweaking the performance.

elvis
03-06-2004, 10:47 PM
When new service packs are released, you can use a process called "slipstreaming". Basically you rebuild your Windows 2000/XP boot CD with the files from the service pack included. If you install a machine from that CD, you are then automatically installing the service packs too.

It obviously doesn't help at stages like we are at today (80MB of hotfixes and patches on top of a standard WinXP SP1 install). But it does save that initial service pack download and install.

More info here:

http://www.windows-help.net/WindowsXP/winxp-sp1-bootcd.html

t-man152
03-07-2004, 06:35 AM
what you can do is use your old windows xp cd and slipstream sp1. I think I saw on the screen savers that there was a way to slipstream a all updates into the sp1 package. maybe you can do that and then sliptream the sp1 package into the windows xp CD. of course this is for your use only and you can not and should not copy a cd with the goal of selling it or giving it way. so here is the site

http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp1_cd.htm

elvis
03-07-2004, 11:32 PM
Isn't that just what I said only 1 post back??? :shrug:

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.