PDA

View Full Version : Beast of Burden - Character - Kirt

Kirt
07-04-2002, 04:53 AM
Cool, another excellent challenge theme! I'll be entering this one also ... and with any luck I'll be able to finish it.

I don't have a sketch yet ... because the challenge doesn't officially start until tomorrow (shame on all you 3D people who've jumped the gun :) ). But here's my idea ...

I figure there are going to be a lot of Star Wars beast entries in this one so I tried to think of something a little different than the norm. I'm going to go semi-toon on my entry ... the beast of burden is going to be a chihuahua. He'll definately be straining (very much) trying to pull his load.

I haven't quite decided on what he'll be pulling, but it'll be one of the the three following:

1) a wagon full of kids
2) a homeless guy's shopping cart filled with recyclables
3) a large lady riding on one of those electric 3-wheeler cart thingies - that aren't quite wheelchairs, but not quite a ATVs either (I can't think of what they're called) - which so happens to have a burned out motor.

All three have such potential ... I quess I should take suggestions on which one I should do?

Well, that's it until tomorrow. Don't want to get ahead of anything. :shame:

hypercube
07-04-2002, 05:13 AM
Heh, you know, I never even thought of the whole 3rd/4th thing..I usually don't know what day of the week it is, but of all days I should know when the 4th of july is. :rolleyes: Oh well. I'll probably finish a week late anyway :) And uh, it's the 4th now a lot of places, right? yeah, that's the ticket.

As for the poor lil chihuahua (les from wkrp pronunciation) I'd go for the old lady..just cause I can imagine how that'd come out. The cart might be cool if the homeless guy was surfing on it or something zany, too. Hmm..I can see why you put a poll up..so many possibilities.

Look forward to seeing what you do with any of them really, you got da flava.

wildsheepchase
07-04-2002, 05:42 AM
Kirt, are you thinking of a rascal? hehe:buttrock:

Kirt
07-04-2002, 05:49 AM
Ah, THANK YOU!!! It's a Rascal! Dang that was beginning to bug me. The third option is a large lady on a broken Rascal.

Thanks Wildsheepchase!

skello
07-04-2002, 06:55 AM
erm!....how about a truck full of tacos? :D

Kirt
07-04-2002, 08:17 AM
Whoo hooo ... it's officially July 4th here! Sorry, about the accusations earlier. I forget that everyone doesn't live in California. heheheh

Anyway ... here's my early design for my Beast of Burden! I'll add some trinkets to him after I decide what he'll be dragging along behind him.

skello
07-04-2002, 03:02 PM
lol.....cool start!

hypercube
07-04-2002, 10:30 PM
hahaha. Just had to say, awesome. :buttrock:

wildsheepchase
07-05-2002, 12:10 AM
I really hope you go with the fat woman on a rascal...I picture her with stockings hanging around her ankles, really heavy make up, and a cigarette hanging out of her mouth. Great idea in general, has a lot of potential:applause:
And the little chiahuahua is already awesome:thumbsup:

Tommy Lee
07-05-2002, 12:14 AM
Luv the Chivava(Spelling?):thumbsup:

Cheerz:beer:

Tommy Lee

lildragon
07-05-2002, 01:22 AM
heheh he reminds me of Ren, but nevertheless, the pure strain on his face will lend to a very comedic piece, looking forward to this one.. :D

a su salud

Kirt
07-05-2002, 04:52 AM
Isn't it hard to draw a chihuahua without it resembling Ren or the "Yo quiero Taco Bell" dog? Anyway ... I take that as a compliment. I love the Ren & Stimpy cartoons and Ren is one of my favorite cartoon characters.

Thanks for the comments so far ... I think the poll is definately favoring the large lady on the Rascal scooter. Which is good ... my initial thought was to go with the kids in a wagon. I'm glad I asked for everyone's opinion. :)

:bounce: "Happy Happy Joy Joy" :bounce:

Kirt
07-05-2002, 04:54 AM
Ooops ... forgot something. :)

Kirt
07-05-2002, 05:05 AM
I figured I should throw this up here too ... just in case someone is not familiar with a Rascal.

Stygian
07-05-2002, 07:46 AM
Lovin it man. The fat lady on the rascal has got my vote.

:bounce:

Totitch
07-05-2002, 10:12 AM
Whaoooow Great!!! :applause: :applause:

Tommy Lee
07-05-2002, 11:03 AM
FAT LADY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:applause:

stipen
07-05-2002, 01:18 PM
yeah fat lady!!
Excellent job:bounce:

Kirt
07-05-2002, 09:23 PM
OK ... you asked for it. I hope you're prepared for the consequences. Here's the basic form I'm working on. Don't concentrate on it too long or you'll see that she's naked. *shudder*

I'll work on the clothing and accessories later ... so don't panic. She's not going to be nude in the final! EEEEK!

jeroentje
07-05-2002, 09:28 PM
ROFLMAO! Allriiiiight KIIIRT!!!! :thumbsup:
This will be a masterpiece, I can see it allready!

jeroentje :beer:
(the question is; can she sing? ;) )

art7sayan
07-05-2002, 10:47 PM
Man, you're going to make a very funny master piece!! Great drawing, great style, respect!!! :buttrock:

Arco
07-06-2002, 01:28 AM
WACKO! I love that. THAT IS BRILL DUDE! Doggies with big eyes rock :buttrock:

Arco

wildsheepchase
07-06-2002, 10:26 AM
It's looking great!!:love:

Tommy Lee
07-06-2002, 10:57 AM
Damn Kirt! LOL!!!!
You are amazing me!!!!!!!
Fantastic idea:thumbsup:
Cant wait to see the next steps.

Tommy Lee

dmonk
07-06-2002, 03:11 PM
love it.:thumbsup:

the fat lady should be eating a hoagie ( submarine sand for all the non jersey people) or something.

Gamoron
07-06-2002, 04:29 PM
Damn, that's good. You've got my vote already. Although I'll wait to see how you colour it and all the detail stuff. Fantastic and original Kirt. I love it.:thumbsup: :buttrock:

Kirt
07-06-2002, 05:06 PM
Eating a hoagie? But I've already got both her hands busy (smokin' and steering). Maybe if I make her an alien with 4 arms I could do that ... but then I'd have to make the chihuahua alien also. Not sure that would be as funny. How about if I put a big bucket of KFC or box of Yum Yum Donuts in the back of her cart?

:)

dmonk
07-06-2002, 06:30 PM
Yeah her hands are buisy aren't they.

I love it though but it feels like there should be some standby food for her just in case of an emergency. You wouldn't want a woman of her girth mad an hungry:annoyed: .

That could be trouble.
keep up the good work can't wait till you color it.

Gamoron
07-06-2002, 07:37 PM
I don't know. I think you should leave her as is. Unless you really want to caricature her. I see these people on these rascals and they're never eating and I'm thinking how the hell did they get so damn BIG!:D

Sleepless
07-07-2002, 04:50 AM
Kirt this is wayyyyyyyy good. Nice viewpoint. I think she should stay a non alien. RU a Carter Goodrich fan? I love his stuff and this reminds me of him a bit. Very funny stuff you got here, a little satire never hurt anybody.:bounce: :bounce:

Bezerker75
07-07-2002, 05:08 AM
I love it!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
you should make her holding a cig in one hand and a large half eaten turkey leg in the other while she is trying to steer with that same hand!!
keep it goin...you got a great thing here!!
:thumbsup:

Sangotten
07-09-2002, 01:29 PM
Kirt! Kirt! Kirt! Kirt! Kirt! Kirt! Kirt! Kirt! Kirt! Kirt! Kirt! Kirt! Kirt! Kirt! Kirt! Kirt! Kirt! Kirt! Kirt! Kirt! Kirt! Kirt! Kirt! Kirt! Kirt! Kirt! Kirt! Kirt! Kirt! Kirt! Kirt! Kirt! Kirt! Kirt! Kirt! Kirt! Kirt! Kirt! Kirt! Kirt! Kirt! Kirt! Kirt! Kirt! Kirt! Kirt! Kirt! Kirt! Kirt! Kirt! Kirt! Kirt! Kirt! Kirt! Kirt! Kirt! Kirt! Kirt! ....goooooooo Kirt!

This one is really cool, damn this 2D challenge is pretty funny, or at least humor is having a go in our sick 2D heads...:surprised

Keep it coming!!!:thumbsup:

Kirt
07-09-2002, 08:02 PM
Here's a couple detail shots of what I'm putting together for the final sketch ...

Kirt
07-09-2002, 08:03 PM
The Chihuahua has aquired a cute little doggie sailor suit. Oh, the in-humanity!

dmcgrath
07-09-2002, 08:18 PM
Kirt, LMAO...
The guys over here are THE reason why it is often more fun to come to the 2D side. The poll is genius, now you actually have to do what others want.
And look what you are doing with it.
Brilliant, I am humbled.
Heh heh heh!!!!:thumbsup:

AJ
07-10-2002, 12:58 AM
This is in no uncertain terms - fvcking excellent!

Just sitting here with chin in hands, waiting for the updates! :D

hypercube
07-10-2002, 01:10 AM
*gasping for air* ..fat lady..sailor suit..hahahahaha. *thud*

That's so awesome..I think I broke my funny. GENIUS!!

Stygian
07-10-2002, 01:54 AM
way to go Kirt, Kinda reminds me of my grandmother though (shiver) :argh:

which is why I live 3 states away

SheepFactory
07-10-2002, 03:03 AM
this is just wonderful! , you have my vote!

:beer:

Gamoron
07-10-2002, 03:19 AM
EXCELLENT! I think I can see the glimmer of an escape plan brewing in his eyes and death to the fat lady.:drumrock:

Ali3D
07-10-2002, 07:21 AM
Hi lord...u h have such a very good artistic sketches man...am sure it will be a coolllll model....keep up lord...

jeroentje
07-12-2002, 09:37 PM
:bounce: update! update! update! update! update! update! update! :bounce:

erilaz
07-14-2002, 07:35 AM
I love the comic entries coming in! Nice creativity. Oh and I love your recent sketch on the "new scribble" thread. Cute.

Kirt
07-15-2002, 05:30 AM
I'm going to start coloring this week ... here's the final B&W sketch.

lildragon
07-15-2002, 05:46 AM
:applause:

Stygian
07-15-2002, 07:47 AM
love it man just love it :bounce: :applause:

Gamoron
07-15-2002, 10:08 PM
3 Cheers!:beer: :beer: :beer:

great work so far Kirt!

fellipe
07-15-2002, 10:59 PM
http://www.plauder-smilies.de/happy/invasion.gif

Cgkoko
07-16-2002, 09:48 AM
:surprised :scream: :applause: That is so great!Don't have something to crit.I hope i'll see some coloring soon.
I'm thinking of enterinf with a 2d pic also....but i'dont know if i can.

Kirt
07-20-2002, 11:19 PM
Captain! Thar be mid-tones! ARRRRRR! (translation - I really need to learn to paint - this looks very washed out to me)

Kirt
07-22-2002, 08:01 AM
Just a few adjustments done to get the colors to pop a bit more ...

maple593
07-22-2002, 08:51 PM
:airguitar

that is hilarious dawg ! totally rocks

Gamoron
07-23-2002, 03:24 PM
Hey Kirt. Looks great. I know you're not done with it, but I think it could use more saturation. It's cartoon and I think it should look more glossy and cel like.

cleptocat
07-24-2002, 10:23 PM
Dont change a thing man....your style rocks!:buttrock:

Kirt
07-27-2002, 10:38 AM
I'm not really shooting for a cell look with this one. It probably would have made the coloring easier ... but I'm trying to learn how to use my Wacom. So, I guess you could say I'm doing textued 'toons.

Here's what I mean ...

This fat lady's leg (below) is white, pasty, sun burned, freckly, stubbly (haven't added the stubble yet) with vericose veins. Yuck ... really gross stuff. And I don't think I could do all that with a cell shade.

I suppose I'm just a detail freak?

Tommy Lee
07-27-2002, 01:08 PM
Yeah Baby!!!!!:thumbsup:

Pancreas
07-27-2002, 01:27 PM
Ohoooooooo ooooh!
Excellent! Will the dress be a flowered one?
Very nice purple veins.:thumbsup:

Kirt
07-27-2002, 05:14 PM
On the dress I was thinking a very obnoxious looking floral print from Hawaii (I think it's called a mu mu) or a design that looks like it's made from bed sheets or curtains.

You know ... shopping for clothes is tough at this size. There's Tents 'R Us or the Home Squatter's Network. :shrug:

Gamoron
07-28-2002, 02:00 AM
ignore what i said before, just ignore me completely. great work.

Kirt
07-28-2002, 10:18 PM
Bigger eyes for the chihuahua ...

I've been baby sitting my brothers rug rat ... and I realized that small dogs with big eyes have very little whites showing. So, I changed the dog's peepers. I think he looks like he's straining more.

Lukashi
07-29-2002, 04:58 AM
yeah but he looks kind of more evil and scary isnt of cute and strained...:shrug:

Kirt
07-29-2002, 06:20 AM
Maybe this will make him a bit more cute ... baby blue sailor suit!?

I tried a displacement map on the dress, but it didn't look right. So, now I gotta' do it the hard way. :D

Lukashi
07-29-2002, 06:24 AM
i feel sooo sorry for it, great job : )

hypercube
07-29-2002, 06:25 AM
This just gets better and better. I'm all for cartoony realism. Love it.

I think the big eyes work great too, gives you that feeling I always get looking at chihuahuas, that their eyes could just shoot right outta their head any second. :D

JJ3d
07-29-2002, 06:40 AM
I CAN'T STOP LAUGHING!!!!!
the dog's face is just INCREDIBLE !!!

Sleepless
07-29-2002, 08:46 PM
How do you do displacement maps in PS (or is it in the Manual?) My favorite parts are the blown tire, her eye shadow and those veins. Funny stuff. Roll on. What's the dog's name?

:applause: :applause:

jeroentje
07-29-2002, 09:35 PM
Sleepless, the dog's name is Lil Kirty obviously ;)
Great work here :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Kirt
07-30-2002, 12:42 AM
There was a thread in the 2D forum not long ago where someone used the displacement map to create wrinkles on a pair of pants. I forget the thread, who started it, and where the tutorial it pointed to is at. But I did find this tutorial (http://graphicssoft.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gurusnetwork.com%2Ftutorials%2Fphotoshop%2Fdisplace1.html) which seems to explain the process pretty well.

I'm at work now so I don't have the page I looked at here.

The dog is a purebreed and as most purebreed's names go ... it has a history. See if you know who this dog has been named after. If you find it, you'll know the dog's short name. hehhehehe

This chihuahua's registered name is: Elzie Segar

Sleepless
07-30-2002, 01:54 AM
Thanks for the tute, I'm going to have to read that a few times before it will begin to soak in. This an example of why I'm not even going to mess with 3d stuff until they make it easier to paint the models. My little brain can only digest some many new items at a time. Who knows what will be happening in 5 yrs with the 3d texturing methods?

hiko_
07-31-2002, 10:50 AM
hihihi hilarous idea and drawing !! :eek: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Bruzundanga
07-31-2002, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by Kirt
There was a thread in the 2D forum not long ago where someone used the displacement map to create wrinkles on a pair of pants. I forget the thread, who started it, and where the tutorial it pointed to is at.

I guess that this thread you said was mine. Did I guess wrong?

Click here to see (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=13116&highlight=madureira)

But the tutorial on this page you suplied is great.
Not really artistic, but it seems to explain everything clearly.

Great work you have here.
Great idea also.

Try to not compress the jpg this ammount
it's too pixelated

regards

Kirt
07-31-2002, 06:45 PM
Yep, that's the one. Thanks Bruzundanga ... and I'm really sorry my memory failed me on that one. That was a good thread.

I know about the pixelation problem also. I'm not too worried about getting a high-res until I'm close to finished. Since these are WIP, I'm not worried about posting up the clearest image ... just something that gives you an idea of what the whole picture is looking like.

Oh ... and thanks to whoever put that thumbnail on the main index. I feel as though I'm getting my 15 mins of fame now. heheheh.

:bounce:

lildragon
07-31-2002, 07:34 PM
;)

Alial
08-01-2002, 02:58 AM
:thumbsup: :buttrock: Awsome work man!

anieves
08-01-2002, 12:53 PM
That's great! I can not stop laughing!!!

Kirt
08-03-2002, 10:48 PM
Looks done to me ... or at least I think it is. Any last minute critiques?

I'm having problems with my ISP, so I can't post up a high resolution image yet. A couple angry phone calls should fix that and I'll add a link to this thread tomorrow.

Kirt
08-03-2002, 10:55 PM
Oh ... one small detail that's probably lost in the image. Here's a close up of her charm bracelet. Her 3 food groups are represented here.

Tommy Lee
08-04-2002, 12:12 AM
Just great...allover!!!:applause:
U got my vote!!!!!:thumbsup:

Tommy Lee

timovihola
08-04-2002, 03:29 AM
Hahaha, great drawing, very funny :D My only crit would be the lighting... it's a bit too "normal" for my taste, I prefer more dramatic lighting, something like this: (stronger shading killed the nice and detailed veins but on the other hand it makes the "burden" look heavier..)

http://www.mbnet.fi/~badgers/kirt_overpaint.jpg

Kirt
08-04-2002, 04:16 AM
:surprised I really wish I could do that. Lighting is not one of my strengths. Hell, I'm still trying to figure out how to use my wacom not like a mouse. Your paint over really gave it that creep show feeling, which is far better than mine. I'll play with it some more, but I don't think I'll be able to do that with the time I have left.

Thanks Timo.

dmcgrath
08-05-2002, 01:40 AM
Wow timo did a job on the lighting huh???
It is definately more dramatic that way. If you do end up lighting like that, I would brighten up the face of the chihuahua (spelled right?) to make it pop into the foreground. Great job, Love this one alot.

Kirt
08-05-2002, 07:53 PM
No changes made since last post.
This is just a link to a high-res image. (http://www.cell2000.net/~users/kirtstanke/images/wip-july-hires.jpg)

Thanks to everyone who helped with comments or kept me going on this one with their kind words. I'm pretty happy with the final result, but overly critical at the same time. There are things I'd probably do differently if I started this one over again.

Good luck to all the entries!

flamedevil
08-18-2002, 06:04 AM
ROFL
Hey guy, it's awesome !!!!!!
The facial expressions are excellent !

Very good work
:thumbsup:

It's too late but i don't care, i love it

florisvink
08-19-2002, 10:20 PM
WHaahahaa.. ROFL. great style.. Very nice.. really..

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.