PDA

View Full Version : Beast of Burden - Character - rizob

rizob
07-04-2002, 04:52 AM
i cant let another comp slip slowly away. i started this guy a few days ago but didn't know what to do with him. this comp will be great for him.
hope my image posts

Equinoxx
07-04-2002, 10:36 AM
I'm sorry, but models that have been made prior to the start are not allowed . . . you will have to model something new . . .
everybody does, so we can't let you have a head start . . .

oh and read the rules . . . see where it says
------------------------------
When you begin a new thread please use the following syntax

Beast of Burden - Character/contraption - [your name]
------------------------------

I'll change it for you . . . no prob there . . . but PLEASE read next time . . .

here's a reminder to the rules

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12681

rizob
07-04-2002, 05:19 PM
oooops i messed up im sorry but no problem i will throw this model away and start new. i will probably try something dinsaur like so can can come up with a cool harness and have him carry way to much junk. hey can any one delete my previous pic im new so i must suck

rizob
07-04-2002, 05:58 PM
okay so heres a new start. i think i wikll have an old chineese guy living on his back with a tent or house full of junk. huge harness and straps

rizob
07-04-2002, 08:59 PM
okay heres a couple more screen grabs. tough to tell proportions but he will be large.

rizob
07-04-2002, 09:01 PM
heres a smoothed mesh. pointers would be welcome

rizob
07-04-2002, 09:02 PM
and heres a small render. not bad for about an hour

rizob
07-06-2002, 06:13 PM
okay heres another update. i started making the owners house
and harness. the creatuer is so large that i am gonna have to connect the harness to the creatures nose rings.(who could handle a beast that big. pointers please

espaki
07-07-2002, 08:08 AM
Looks good Rizob-

btw do you have that "welcome to the robb" animation on the net somewhere? you should put that on your site if you do.

looking forward to seeing more...

-Nate

espaki
07-07-2002, 08:22 AM
lets see a closeup of the stuff on his back..

-Nate

rizob
07-07-2002, 09:07 AM
heres just a small update. still needs alot of work.
by the way every one should check out my website.
http://www.halfthought.com

espaki
07-07-2002, 09:50 AM
lookin' good rizob...nice textures

-Nate

Jhonus
07-07-2002, 09:56 AM
Looking good.

Crit: looks a little unbalanced, like it might topple backwards.

underdog
07-07-2002, 10:15 AM
Looking good so far! I like your concept. Only crits are the ropes look to thin, they are like thread. And the feet may need be a bit bigger, doesn't look like to stable right now.

Lookin foward to seeing where you go with it!

rizob
07-08-2002, 06:45 AM
here is another small update. just adding more detail:xtreme:
this comp is getting better every day, glad i can join. please crit is welcome

ZrO-1
07-08-2002, 07:34 AM
My only crit is that the house looks really really small. I'd make it much bigger so it looks like it's almost too heavy for the BoB to carry.

Only other thing is that all those nice textures you are adding won't be judged :shrug:

espaki
07-08-2002, 07:13 PM
lets see a closeup!!!

-Nate

derwolpertinger
07-08-2002, 07:19 PM
really nice model!!:buttrock: but as zrO-1 said, you don't have to get rid of those textures but realize that they won't be judged. so you could better spent your time on modelling. :shrug:

rizob
07-08-2002, 07:56 PM
okayy thanks for the crits. as for the textures, i just play with them while i am thinking of other details. it just helps me get a
feel of the style of deatial. i will probably dump them all for the final peice.

kepp the crits commin

rizob
07-09-2002, 07:38 AM
good call zro-1 i was going to make the house small and put in alot of detail. but it does look more propotionate when it is larger.
quick update:beer: :beer:

ZrO-1
07-09-2002, 09:28 AM
Yeah, I definetly like the larger version of the house.

toce
07-09-2002, 10:33 AM
cute one!

espaki
07-09-2002, 02:15 PM
Looks like its really coming along :drool:

lets see more definition in the character's bone and muscle structure now...

Keep up the good work Rizob

-Nate

rizob
07-10-2002, 03:47 AM
uuu8u8uuuuppppppdaaatteeee.

weeeeeeebbbbbbbb
http://www.halfhtought.com.

uuuuuuuuuuuu

rizob
07-10-2002, 03:48 AM
one mizzzzi
fooooshiizzaaa

espaki
07-10-2002, 04:50 AM
Nice detail! ...now for that muscle definition....:drumrock:

-Nate

rizob
07-10-2002, 07:22 AM
more muscles, that whole its cute crap made me think he neads
more wear and tare. all the crits are welcome and helpful:beer:

stipen
07-10-2002, 01:58 PM
I really like it Rizob!!
What's your soft??

rizob
07-10-2002, 05:39 PM
thanks alot stippen i'm rockin max all the way home

Cgkoko
07-10-2002, 05:42 PM
:applause: Fantastic! Is that max default renderer?

GlasS-
07-10-2002, 06:36 PM
Wow, thats great!
I like the stuff on his back, the tent, the pottery and all that, great, greate work :)

Icecube
07-10-2002, 07:12 PM
It's amazing man, i like your work a lot, the details really rock!

Check out my beast here!

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13226

SEL
07-10-2002, 10:48 PM
tnx for the posts, it was getting kinda dead in my neck of the woods, I love the way this thing is coming along, im even more interested to see if you get this thing textured if you have the time. Great job overall, no crits, just praise :bounce:

TheSEL

Fetus23
07-11-2002, 07:10 AM
cool!...I see have something to strive for already!!

would be neat to see our characters in a scene together at the end of the challenge....

burnout
07-11-2002, 07:51 AM
very nice work! i dig the hut man.. very cool...

pascal_blanche
07-11-2002, 06:38 PM
really cool! but for now your beast doesnt look have the size of what it is supposed to be.. if it is carrying an all house, it should look bigger... the proportions make it look like ababy or something

my two cents ;)

rizob
07-11-2002, 07:50 PM
you hit it rigght on the head pascal ive been worrinig about this the whole time, thinkin of fixes: break his spirit have his head hunched, his whole body needs to sag and his skin and nails need to be worn. i need to make him look pissed as well. here is where the challenge comes in.i have thought of adding two more legs to carry the burden but i'm unsure. i think his eyes give it a baby look as welll. if all you guys could hit me with a hard crit it would help me alot. waht do you think pascal.

espaki
07-12-2002, 12:01 AM
maybe make the head a little smaller to achieve an older look, also the dark eyes add to the "cute" look, maybe make the eyes themselves smaller and possibly model the eye with pupil, iris, etc

i wish i had 2 cents

-Nate

ZrO-1
07-12-2002, 03:59 AM
I personally don't mind it looking like a baby BoB which it definetly does right now. Here's how you make it look older: smaller head, smaller eyes in the head, and smaller feet. Those three things will age your BoB considerably.

visualboo
07-12-2002, 05:10 AM
Yeah, it's definitely the proportions of the body to the head, feet and eye's.

Looks great anyway though :thumbsup:

rizob
07-12-2002, 06:45 PM
greeatt crits this is the shit im lookin for. well that rebelious part of me came out. i made the head bigger to give him alittle more character. i added a driving seat and levers for steering. next will be a pully system hooked to his legs with chanes so tha driver can yank his leg to get him goin (stubborn bob). i agree about the pots lookin like shit but a man lives on this beast (like an rv)
so he has got a full house full of stuff, i will add small details like that later so i can think about what he owns,sells, what ever.
keep the crits rollin it helps me allot.:wavey:

rizob
07-12-2002, 07:22 PM
heres another with some bipeds for size relation

paconavarro
07-12-2002, 08:06 PM
Extraordinary WORK!!!!!!

:thumbsup:

Really LuvIT

the shack´s a very nice idea....

BrainFaucet
07-12-2002, 08:16 PM
Awww... you took away his cuteness. =[

Anyway, incredible work!:buttrock: I really love it! one question, what's the huge thing behind the house?

Keep up the good work!

toxichimp
07-12-2002, 08:16 PM
Been following this post for a while now, and it's really looking great so far :D. As an extra I think it would look very cool to have some oil lambs on the house and beast. Or some sort of strong light source coming out of the house.

About the beast, the muscle structure looks great imo. Only thing that looks a bit weird I think is the tooth and mouth. It looks a bit simple, but you can probally get away with it if you don't feel like changing it :)

Also, the bigger head looks great, nice touch :thumbsup: I'm sure this will give a great looking end result.

ZrO-1
07-12-2002, 08:47 PM
Overall the changes are very good. Just one thing: could you please render out one version with a smaller than original head? Pretty please with sugar on top? :D

rizob
07-12-2002, 09:28 PM
great crits crew.
paconavaro. you got it man thats what im tryen to achive.

brian faucet: sorry i had to ditch the cuteness for this comp, maybe ill render a pink one in the end:p the shit behind and around the shack is just misc detail for now, i need to make barrels canteens, ya know, life stuff

toxicchimp: thanx bro, the rider is and old chineese guy so i am going to add the steriotipical chineese cart stuff: chickens and stuff hanging from the hut, defenetly lamps and flags. i will rework the mouth area, i was seeing what everyone thought about the head.

zero: thanx for the suggestions ill render one out for ya.

rizob
07-12-2002, 09:58 PM
here you go zero i think the smaller head is more sleek and he looks alittle more mean. i ;ike it but i think the larger head works a little better for this comp, iwant him to look dumb and pissed. with this head he looks kind of smart like a raptor. but i would like to hear what everybody thinks. keep in mind, i just scaled the straps so they dont all fit right

Chico
07-12-2002, 10:07 PM
Cool, I like this wee fella.

Only thought is wouldnt it need some extra limbs, wether they are arms or wings or something...Otherwise he'd need to use his head alot for ballance.

Just a though, Nice work:thumbsup:

rizob
07-13-2002, 06:02 AM
been slackin but heres an update annyway

ZrO-1
07-13-2002, 06:06 AM
yeah, the big head does look better. Thanks for posting a test for me though.

h4d35
07-13-2002, 01:54 PM
Hey! lookin very good man!

Keep it up.

/Hannes

espaki
07-13-2002, 06:47 PM
how cute!! (j/k)

Definitely comin' along, it almost looks finished and we're barely though half the time given. You are really packing in the detail. The bonier, bigger head helped make it look a lot older. What more now?

-Nate

espaki
07-13-2002, 06:48 PM
actually, when i look at it again, it seems like it needs some sort of cords and straps to hold the jars on the back. the big one seems like its going to roll right off. lets see some other angles of it too.

-Nate

rizob
07-13-2002, 06:54 PM
good crit nate, al those pots are place holders for detail. this being some ones house, they should own alot of shit. i need to make lams, barrels, chicken hanging(chineese cart theme), and just tones of detail. i need to make the pully system for his legs stil then i will probably change the extra luggage, shit in back etc.

rizob
07-13-2002, 10:03 PM
man i am at this forum way to much. but whatever you guys are cool keep the crits rollin

derwolpertinger
07-13-2002, 10:06 PM
wowowowow:eek: !!! pretty amazing stuff you're workin' on there! i love it-especially how you pay attention on modelling very much details! geat!:love:

Jacko Cohen
07-14-2002, 02:15 AM
supacool!!

this gets 5 bouncies:
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

they're all well deserved.

nice detail. Nice proportions. nice personality.
keep it up

rickycox
07-14-2002, 03:56 AM
Something about the balance seems a bit strange?? Can't work it out yet. Maybe those barrels at the back do need to be tied down or the shape of the body?? Not sure?? Keep going man........

3DZukini
07-15-2002, 02:53 AM
wow, that's friggin awesome!! Looking at some of these entries I think that they could add a separate challenge just for texturing!!!!:applause:

rizob
07-15-2002, 07:35 AM
ok i woked out the pullys a littlnd added a back portch off this guy, i still need to add lamps hanging in the rear, chikens n shit hanging from the hut.

check out my site please, im new
http://www.halfthought.com:airguitar

Chico
07-15-2002, 07:41 AM
Awe man, Love the pullys idea..:thumbsup:
What na excellent touch:scream:

BTW I think Your smilie may be messing with your URL

http://www.halfthought.com:airguitar

rizob
07-15-2002, 07:43 AM
damn those smileys
http://www.halfhtought.com

:lightbulb

rizob
07-15-2002, 08:00 AM
heres one more for the night

Fetus23
07-15-2002, 08:19 AM
nice!! The pullys and chains are a very good idea. This could have a really nice bouncey feel if you animated him.....lots of creeking and jiggling of sticks and ropes...cool stuff...

fetus

rizob
07-15-2002, 05:35 PM
thanks feetus and chico, i dig the pullys too, when i finish the detail, ill do an animation, and o yes lots of flexing, creeking, and ill try and use some dynamics on the chains, what do you guys think of the back portch

webstie
http://www.halfhtought.com

Chico
07-15-2002, 09:55 PM
Well Hes possibly a merchant or some type. Does he sell pots.? Or does he sell whats in the POts.? Sorry if youve already mentioned this:p

Anyway, maybe on the back porch are hed have alot of the luggage that he takes with him, the stuff that isnt needed all the time. So big truncks, straped and tied down, maybe a spare chair or two.?

OKay I just read back through your posts, Yep I think Chickens and other food hanging in the back would excellent.

Anyway I thing the poorch is much better than the large pot formerly in that place...Nice work.:thumbsup:

rizob
07-16-2002, 02:36 AM
thanks chico a stylish trunk is exactly what i need, straps and all that too ill update in a few
keeep thaose crits rollin:shame: :shame:

Rex
07-16-2002, 04:34 AM
great work and very complete design!go on man~
OH~one advice,the material of teeth and claw are to much like metal to me,it's not fit on your skin right now!It's only a thought.

CheCk out my Beast of Burden (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12984&pagenumber=2)

EricUNSL
07-18-2002, 03:18 PM
inspiring stuff, can't wait to see the final. I was reading through and was glad you decided to go with a older upset BOB. The merchant idea works really good too. Had you thought about taking the original BOB design, the younger cute version and having one or two chained up to the harness behind the big older one? They could be about 10-15ft tall or so.

Kinda like the merchant has this creature's young as slaves and is on his way to sell them along with any other items in his hut.

Right now it just looks mean. I don't feel sorry for it. but if you had an animation showing the two infants trying to keep up with mommy, hopping up to bite at the chickens hanging below, or one infant keeping up while the other is dead and being dragged along at the neck by the harness then there would be reason for this thing to look pissed. Then it could really be a beast that is burdened by life, heavy weight and the loss of a child. Just a thought.:shrug:

rizob
07-20-2002, 06:28 AM
so i havent wotked on this two much, but heres a small update, i added some lamps, trunks (you can't see them in these renders,),
and a sun shade for the driver seat.
ericunsl, great idea, raise the babies for work too, or food or whatever.
i need to optimze some geometry, imusing all 5 sided cylenders for the hut floor and base, so i need to take care of that and a few other things.
i think i might add alittle more style to the hut, and the sun shade thing, which would imply that he's a craftsman or artist. it lookes like he's kind of poor(which also works with the living in an r.v. theme) but id like to hear some comments.
peace
:beer:

rizob
07-20-2002, 06:31 AM
heres another angle

ZrO-1
07-20-2002, 06:33 AM
Wow rizob, this is looking great. There is so much detail and so many objects in and around the hut that I think some of them get lost in the 'whole-beast' renders. Could we see a closer angle? One that shows the hut and platform in the full frame?
From what I can see in your last render this thing is rockin! :buttrock: I don't see anything that looks wrong or out of place, but I do really like all of your latest additions. :applause:

ZrO-1
07-20-2002, 06:35 AM
DOH!!!
We posted at the same time. :annoyed: I hate it when that happens. :rolleyes: :p

rizob
07-21-2002, 04:46 AM
just thought id throw up the disco render, i only added the rope ladder.

Bezerker75
07-21-2002, 05:14 AM
beast on a light box...lol
this guy is looking great! I like him on that sandy environment...the only comment I have right now...is to make a few smaller pots on the deck...the ones you got are kinda large compared to the guy in your scene...IMHO....but I think some large ones are fine..after all he needs somewhere to store food and water...keep this going..I would also like to see some close detail shots...:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

espaki
07-22-2002, 05:55 PM
Its amazing how much detail you packed in there. Looks like its gonna be a lot of fun to rig :surprised:

More!! Always More!!

-Nate

Daxx
07-22-2002, 07:46 PM
Great Stuff on the beast!!! Great!! :airguitar

rizob
07-24-2002, 05:23 PM
just had to post to get my ass on the front page:scream:

ZrO-1
07-24-2002, 05:40 PM
Ahhhh...there you are Rizob :)
Hey I like the addition of the little baby-beast. Is that from the version that everybody was calling cute?
Your scene is looking dam fine my man. :thumbsup:

EricUNSL
07-25-2002, 08:02 AM
Yeah!! That's what I'm talking about rizob. Nice emotional touch:thumbsup: Now I really feel sorry for both creatures, kinda like a family of elephants at a circus only worse off. Is the baby a scaled down version of mama or the original cute one with the big black eyes?

What do you think about adding one or two more kids? On second thought it might take attention away from big mama but ya never know.

erilaz
07-25-2002, 10:39 AM
Hey they're right! That is pretty cute. I feel sorry for the way the little tike is left in the shadows....

rizob
07-25-2002, 05:41 PM
thanks guys, i will add some more babies, maybe one dragging dead, and maybe even a really small one in a cage, yes eric the baby is the older cute version. ill update later today

Zardoz
07-25-2002, 06:59 PM
great work! the baby dino is really an excelent touch!

rizob
07-26-2002, 12:07 AM
just thought i would thow up an update , im getting closer to diong some final renders i think. let me know what you guys think

rizob
07-27-2002, 03:41 AM
just playin with some eyecandy

rizob
07-27-2002, 06:19 PM
sorry i was up late and didn't realise the shitty quality on that image iget a new one sonn and ill do another page with more angles.

espaki
07-27-2002, 08:12 PM
I like the additions of the little dinosaurs:eek: Maybe you might want to put some shackles on their legs so they are restricted from running, make there conditions seem that much worse.:hmm: Another idea for when you fully texture them is to make it so the skin is redder and chafed where the shackles touch the skin. Poor little dinos:cry:

keep up the good work!

-Nate

Koma
07-29-2002, 05:18 AM
i find your bob incredible ,really cool .....:buttrock:

phil
07-29-2002, 05:53 AM
The amount of detail in this is awesome. I love it.

zeb
07-29-2002, 09:01 AM
Yeah it rocks

i like all this little details on the burden of your beast.

maybe a render in bigger size could be great for us :)

QuantumPixel
07-30-2002, 07:35 AM
your just that good...........

check mine outMY_BEAST (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14488)

rizob
07-30-2002, 07:19 PM
thanks for the kind words guys. my first challenge is turning out ok. ill do some more renders today and post some high rez pics. other wise be brutal with crits

rizob
07-30-2002, 11:43 PM
allright, check this out and let me know what you think.

www.halfhtought.com/dinos2.jpg (http://www.halfthought.com/dinos2.jpg)

espaki
07-31-2002, 01:55 AM
:buttrock:

You said to be brutal, but I can't see much to crit. One thing tho - You seem to constantly spell the name of your website wrong. On your post signature and on the composite pic it is spelled wrong.

other than that - :buttrock: :airguitar :buttrock:

-Nate

derwolpertinger
07-31-2002, 02:17 AM
i just can say that all renders look very fine!! i like them all. great work.:thumbsup:

rizob
07-31-2002, 06:03 AM
SORRY MY TYPING CANT KEEP UP WITH MY THINKING

http://www.halfthought.com/dinos2.jpg

phil
07-31-2002, 06:08 AM
ok your disqualified for being too damn good.:)

huh?
08-01-2002, 01:17 PM
Good god, that's good. my god...

Flypaper
08-01-2002, 08:07 PM
Lol, I hope you don't mind, I took that Picture you posted, took it in and am having it lithographed. I just thought it would add something to my studio, I loved how you showed it's progression.
I kept all the info on it and I'll post a picture of it when i have it framed. Fantastic work!

espaki
08-01-2002, 08:58 PM
Hey Rizob, one thing I just noticed from your composite pic is that your BoB can't see in front of him :cool: dunno if its too late to fix it, but just to let you know.

-Nate

rizob
08-02-2002, 01:37 AM
thanks for the crits, your all to kind.
flypaper: i'm glad it seems frameable, enjoy, just throw me a vote come voting time.

nate:you are correct. i guess he has vision like a hoarse, where his perripheral covers most of the front exept a small bit in the very front of him. thats why he has a driver. good crit though. maybe he needs some blinders (whatya think)
thans very much to every body

Potato77
09-15-2002, 06:35 PM
i just though of something....i feel sorry for the kids when mommy has to crap....:)

McSpirit
12-17-2002, 09:54 PM
What about cutting the creatures tale off. That way it hat to accept the house or else it would fall. You know maby add some infection or some and try to make it look like the creature is in a great deal of pain. Make it aware of the pain and the tradic destiney it has.

And why dont the children carry anything?

Any way think of the cutting the tail thing make the creature depen on its human masters. so even though its 10x theire sice it has to follow ordes or else it will simpley die.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.